Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by cjathey [ In reply to ]
Re: USAC upgrade question [cjathey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just think that these other races will be a better representation of what typical CO race fields are like. Judging from the results, DU was just not a strong race, and our local licensing team will probably not be apt to upgrade you unless you have some bigger events under your belt. That being said, how did you get in to the Cat3 race anyways?

I'll be working at the Louisville Crit and maybe Superior-Morgul. If you decide to race those, drop me a pm so you'll at least have someone cheering for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cjathey wrote:
Three fold: 1) I feel like after racing about 10+ intrasquad races I have the necessary skills 2) I'd like to get in a test of my abilities, so yes I don't want to sandbag. 3) In collegiate racing the upgraded races are longer. 45, and an hour compared to 25 minutes.

Have you won or come in top 3 in any bike racing yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cjathey wrote:
I mentioned my situation to someone who looked in charge and he seemed very understanding and then told me to pick what was an appropriate category.

Was it an official USAC Cat 3 race? If so the guy that let you do that should be kicked in the balls.

You need to learn the skills to race your bike. You have do that like everyone else did, by upgrading appropriately.

I think there was a special thread created for this...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well... this breaks their rules and probably insurance coverage. Be careful about broadcasting that.

Btw, do you race against Farkas?
Quote Reply
Re: USAC upgrade question [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, I was thinking the same thing.

The the OP, 10 races gets you from 5 > 4. 20 points gets you from 4 > 3, or 25 total races with certain criteria:
  • Category 5 to 4: Experience in 10 mass start races. Local Associations may also establish policies where upgrade credit is given for taking a sanctioned rider education clinic.
  • Category 4 to 3: 20 points in any 12-month period; or experience in 25 races with a minimum of 10 top-10 finishes with fields of 30 riders or more, or 20 pack finishes with fields over 50. 30 points in 12 months is an automatic upgrade.

http://www.usacycling.org/...ser/story.php?id=580
Quote Reply
Re: USAC upgrade question [lmicah3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a 5 how did you compete in a 3 race? In our area 5's have their own race and some have a 4/5 race. Masters is 1-4 only.

As everyone is saying, put your time in for 10 races, Win 4-5 Cat 5 races and I would imagine some upgrade coordinators will put your 4 in for you, but that's at their discretion, or just finish your 10 and move on.

They did change it this year though so make sure you finish all 10 races, last year you just had to start 10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, he was the kid that I mentioned earlier about lapping the field. I was just happy he wasn't hurt.

Good luck, there is no doubt true bike races will help you.
LM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem though is it's 2 different governing bodies. Being "ok'd" by USAT to have the "basic" pack riding skills to afford you the chance to race in ITU is probaly going to be tad different from USAC's point of view (thus why at USAC they want you to go through the racing process to upgrade).

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Mar 19, 12 10:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cjathey wrote:
I feel like this is a special situation because USAT skills camps teach essential bike skills for ITU events, I can promise you I was not a risk. I really hope I'm not coming across as whining. I have learned a lot about why the system is in place via this thread.
The USAC upgrade guidelines allow for applying clinics against some of the 10 required races for a 5->4 upgrade. As mentioned the upgrade requirements are there to protect the rest of the riders in the pack so the best way to upgrade quickly is to get results while showing that you are a safe, steady rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cjathey wrote:
I feel like this is a special situation because USAT skills camps teach essential bike skills for ITU events, I can promise you I was not a risk. I really hope I'm not coming across as whining. I have learned a lot about why the system is in place via this thread.

It kind of does sound like whining. There are no special situations in USAC racing especially if you are come from USAT. :)
USAT skills camps will never replace what you are going to get actually racing your bike. I've know plenty of guys who thought they weren't risks, but were absolute nightmares to ride near.

It looks like you raced a crit with a bit of a hill in it and only 30 riders. This thinned the herd for you. You get in a flatish crit with 100 riders and you are a liability. That's why Cat 5 races are limited to 50.

You seem like a strong guy, so it is only a matter of time. Collegiate races count for upgrades.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cjathey wrote:

It is whining. :D

You could go from 5-4 in about a month. Most crits will have a 5 and 4/5 race that you can enter. Race Sat, and then again Sun, and you could have 10 mass starts in 2-3 weeks. And, if you are in the 4/5 and pop off a few wins, then you could get upgraded that way.

But agreed, a USAT handling clinic is going to be nothing like being in a pack with wheels 1/2" off your front and rear wheels and shoulder to shoulder with guys around you and then the pack splitting to go around a median in the middle of the road.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: USAC upgrade question [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick Question: How do you make sure USAC tracks your Cat. 5 races so you can ultimately verify your 10 races? Does race organizer submit paperwork?
Quote Reply
Re: USAC upgrade question [RRWJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RRWJ wrote:
Quick Question: How do you make sure USAC tracks your Cat. 5 races so you can ultimately verify your 10 races? Does race organizer submit paperwork?

you tell your regional USAC people what races you did. they check up on your claims as they see fit, and decide yes or no. if you have done 10 races but they have reason to believe you are still sketchy, they can say no.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with many comments above: USAC category rules for a reason - to gain racing experience. Just suck it up, give your ego a rest, win a race (or two) - or, at least finish upper-pack, and pay your dues like everyone else.

Speaking of dues, are you a currently licensed USAC member? I don't know any USAC official who would knowingly allow you to race beyond your designated category. (One must present card when registering in person, pre-race check-ins, etc.)
Last edited by: Brushman: Mar 19, 12 12:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also think it's really unfair to those who actually belong in cat 5 to have guys like the other two and myself in their race because it really strings out the field and ruins their race.

That's not always true. The most fun race I've ever had was in a mixed 4/5. I was a newbie but ended up working with a cat 4 guy who was hell bent on winning to get the final upgrade points he needed to get to cat 3. We started a break, then whittled it down. I was basically his bitch for the last 30 minutes of the race and it ended up being me and him for the last half lap. He cleaned my clock in the sprint but the race was a total blast for me. Its still the only time I ever really have gotten to play tactcs versus just riding hard the whole way. If you are really as good as you say you are, race a few Cat 5 races and spread some fun around.
Quote Reply
Re: USAC upgrade question [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
cjathey wrote:
Three fold: 1) I feel like after racing about 10+ intrasquad races I have the necessary skills 2) I'd like to get in a test of my abilities, so yes I don't want to sandbag. 3) In collegiate racing the upgraded races are longer. 45, and an hour compared to 25 minutes.

Have you won or come in top 3 in any bike racing yet?

Notice how the OP posted twice after this but refused to answer this question?

Hey OP, if you really are that good, you should be timetrialing away from the chaffs, no? In my third collegiate race, I broke away with two hilly laps left and managed to stay away, and i was a zaftig 158 pounder with maybe a 4.1w/kg at the time. One of my friends (former Div-1 collegiate rower) broke away 6 miles into a 26 mile race and won by two minutes over his collegiate D
field. Given your aspirations and abilities, it should be no problem for you, right?

cjathey wrote:

cjathey wrote:

Unless the name of your squad the the Centuray Road Club Association (where they have 50 cat 5's showing up to races), your intrasquad races don't mean squat
Quote Reply
Re: USAC upgrade question [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, he never replies to me.
Quote Reply
Re: USAC upgrade question [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
I also think it's really unfair to those who actually belong in cat 5 to have guys like the other two and myself in their race because it really strings out the field and ruins their race.

That's not always true. The most fun race I've ever had was in a mixed 4/5. I was a newbie but ended up working with a cat 4 guy who was hell bent on winning to get the final upgrade points he needed to get to cat 3. We started a break, then whittled it down. I was basically his bitch for the last 30 minutes of the race and it ended up being me and him for the last half lap. He cleaned my clock in the sprint but the race was a total blast for me. Its still the only time I ever really have gotten to play tactcs versus just riding hard the whole way. If you are really as good as you say you are, race a few Cat 5 races and spread some fun around.

I agree 100% with STP. In the 3 races I have participated in - all with large packs of 30 to 50+ riders - it is way more fun to watch, learn, and sometimes play in the tactics especially when you have teams within the pack and you are not on one of those teams. As a newbie participating in road races the most gratifying part has been learning, watching, and trying to be a part of the tactics (or at least pretend I am). It has been a really great experience for me even though I have not placed yet or influenced overall outcome. This experience is much different than triathlon cycling..but both are great in totally different ways.

Besides at other people mentioned get your ten races done and move up then come back and post how fast you are! If you are still feeling over qualified move up another level and then keep us updated. All of a sudden you will see the system has its merits.
Last edited by: RRWJ: Mar 19, 12 12:22
Quote Reply
Re: USAC upgrade question [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Biggest thing I would say is to use it for different scenarios. Get in a break in one race and ride wheels the entire time. Other time simply try and time trial off the front. Other times just learn to ride in the pack. For every bad ass race you think you will have, you can still get humbled in pack racing.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You seem like a strong guy, so it is only a matter of time. Collegiate races count for upgrades.

This... If you are racing collegiate, once you get into 'B's, it's an automatic 4 upgrade and I'm pretty sure an A is an auto cat 3.

If you really have your heart set on getting to the upper categories, lot's of collegiate races also have open divisions so in theory, you should be able to race 3x in a weekend not including the midweek series. Since you are a level above the 4's and 5's, just lap em a few times and upgrade. Simple.

But I have a feeling that you might be a little humbled at how fast some 4's can ride...

Quote | Reply
cjathey wrote:

You are coming across as a know it all triathlete who thinks because they can sit on the aerobars for 50 miles they are automatically a cat 3. Do you your 10 races and quit whining. Get pack experience. Learn how to read a race. Learn how to corner fast and safe.
Quote Reply

Prev Next