Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tubulars are dead and the Clinchers did it.
Quote | Reply
Ok, ok. Don't get your panties in a bundle: obviously, tubular technology is excellent and is going to be around for a long time. Too many fast people still swear by them.

Yet, clinchers have narrowed that performance gap to a very small margin, and for Triathletes, that margin is even less important, since there are other ways in a Triathlon to save those 9 seconds. Or 40 seconds. Whatever.

I have noticed a few things. First, stock for Zipp clinchers is out or very low everywhere. And there are no deals or sales on Zipp clinchers. Retail price is firm for those companies that do have clinchers in stock. Those dealers will often, however, have sales on tubular Zipps.

Second, there are few used Zipp clinchers for sale. If they show up, they are almost immediately sold. Especially if they are a deepset wheel or disc. No one is letting go of their Zipp 1080 Clincher or 900 Clincher. I've asked.

and last, Tubulars are on sale everywhere. Trisports.com, R&A Cycles, LBS's, Classifieds on ST, Craigslist. It's raining carbon, people. If you're a tubular rider, it's manna from heaven.

So, what gives? I think it can be one of two explanations: Perhaps, Zipp misjudged the sales projections on clinchers and made too few, which would support points one and two, but not three. I doubt it. Zipp seems to know their customer base very well. OR, what I suspect, MOP racers are realizing that clincher technology has arrived and are switching en mass to the suppliers that support clinchers.

Punching cockroaches from day 1.
http://www.tri-junkie.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars are dead and the Clinchers did it. [Hounddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tubies are still a little lighter, still easier to design a fully aerodynamic shape with (carbon brake tracks are tricky to do well), and allow for less user mistakes that can cause flats.

those are all nice advantages

but tubies are a hassle in their own way too.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you get a nice mellow buzz and enjoy a bottle or two of red wine while setting up clinchers in your basement-sure, but it is not as cool as a three day glue session. And at the moment only zipp firecrest clinchers are as fast as their tubular counterpart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect it's much like the VHS versus Beta, or Unix versus Windows debate. The best technology is not necessarily the one that's going to dominate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i totally agree. yet most of the competitive wheel manufactures continue to sink tons of money into tubular wheels. the new ENVE and 3T have great aero shapes but mean very little to most of the population b/c theyre tubular only.

clincher + fast shape + handling advantages what makes the zipp firecrest clincher, flo cycling, hed jet rims so desireable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a reason the entire pro peloton rides tubulars, and it is not because they have follow cars...
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars are dead and the Clinchers did it. [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theres a whole lot of reasons I imagine

1. its lighter overall since they aren't carrying spares with them

2. many of them believe they are faster/more comfy because they haven't tried good clincher tires with latex tubes

3. if zipp or hed is your sponsor, the tubie was a faster wheel aerodynamically until very recently

4. less things can go wrong on installation that will cause a flat during the race

did I miss anything?

gibson00 wrote:
There is a reason the entire pro peloton rides tubulars, and it is not because they have follow cars...

Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars are dead and the Clinchers did it. [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding, from talking to the odd pro, and several mechanics, is that it mainly comes down to less flats (for various reasons) and safety (no blowing off the rim, and safer when a flat does occur). Also, I hope the OP in this thread was joking when he made the comment about 3 days to glue a tire. :)
I totally agree that high quality clinchers ride very nice. But that really doesn't have much to do with how a pro chooses their tire..

If rolling resistance made that big a difference, and clinchers were thus so great, don't you think every pro would use them? It isn't a sponsorship issue, since every tire manufacturer that makes tubies also makes clinchers..

Cheers
Last edited by: gibson00: Jul 6, 11 10:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the rolling resistance is basically the same. so that argument stops before it even gets started =)

gibson00 wrote:
If rolling resistance made that big a difference, and clinchers were thus so great, don't you think every pro would use them? It isn't a sponsorship issue, since every tire manufacturer that makes tubies also makes clinchers..

Cheers

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
the rolling resistance is basically the same. so that argument stops before it even gets started =)

gibson00 wrote:

Cheers

But Jack, can't you put way more pressure into a tubular?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:

gibson00 wrote:

Cheers

I think the real issue is that we all know that tubulars will spontaneously roll off the rim unless you have 17 coats of glue applied over a 3 week period, on tires that have been properly aged in the basement of an authentic Italian eatery.... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, before this descends into another tubie vs. clincher debate, let me re-focus by asking this: What are the MOP racers that you know actually buying?

I heard today from 2 different LBSs that Zipp is now on a pre-order basis for clinchers, and that the wait was 4 weeks. Tubulars are available immediately.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Pro can ride a tubular tire after a flat occurs for quite sometime if need be. That can be a big deal if the follow car is no where to be found. That being said, if a flat occurs they are off to the side of the road in a second. And there are many flats everyday in the peleton.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fewer the people racing on tubulars in my area is fine by me. I just hope demand stays high enough for the companies to continue making them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
theres a whole lot of reasons I imagine

2. many of them believe they are faster/more comfy because they haven't tried good clincher tires with latex tubes

I'm not so sure about this comment, even the pros don't train on tubulars. If there is no number on their back and no support car fallowing them chances are they are using clinchers just like us mortals. I'm sure through out their years of training and riding they have been on a number of different tires some good some bad.
Last edited by: QuattroCreep: Jul 6, 11 12:18
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars are dead and the Clinchers did it. [QuattroCreep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but they probably aren't on both top level clincher tires AND latex tubes on those training rides.

QuattroCreep wrote:
I'm not so sure about this comment, even the pros don't train on tubulars. If there is no number on their back and no support car fallowing them chances are they are using clinchers just like us mortals.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say that's because a greater range of people are buying aero wheels. In our club there are definately more people buying them and most of them would not consider tubs due probably in honesty because they are a little daunted by them, get others to maintain there bikes and can already change clinchers. They want something quicker than box rims that look good, perhaps with a well know label but are not that worried to have the absolute fastest.

I have thought about clinchers just for the benefit of when abroad at races they are a bit more friendly for post race long rides and travelling with 2 sets of wheels is a pain.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars are dead and the Clinchers did it. [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So there's the thing. When it came time to order wheels, I did a cost/benefit analysis. I mean, I got down into it, spreadsheets et al, spare configurations, etc. Went fricken nuts. Annoyed the hell out of my coach, even called Zipp directly and grilled them (sorry guys). Got numbers, prices, aero numbers, CRR numbers, went over it left and right. If you read my posts from the last 2 months, you'll see it.

What I found out was that it came down to the spare! I spent 3 weeks trying to fold a tubular into an aero shape. I kid you not. I bought 3 different tubulars trying to do it. Bugged my LBS stupid trying to find the smallest fold. Searched ST. Nope, wasn't going to happen. Tubular technology was .5 lb lighter, but I had to lug around this aero lump of a spare and I still had to carry some tools. Clinchers were .5 lb heavier, but the spare fit into my aero bottle along with a small tool kit. SO - for me the answer was clinchers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My opinion is that most people are scared of tubulars. They do not want to learn how to glue them, do not want to pay someone to do it, or use the flat excuse. I have flatted less than 7 times in my racing life during a competition (over 300 races) and find this excuse ueseless. For the average person with no desire to learn the skill of gluing on a tire a clincher is just easier to deal with. I like tubulars, especially for cyclocross, but also ride clinchers 90% of the time.

Contemplating a multi-sport comeback
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The main reason is they have no good reason to switch. The scary parts ;-) about tubulars don't exist for a top pro,

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Until you find a way to keep a clincher tire on the rim after a flat the pros will still use Tubulars, so will the track racers.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars are dead and the Clinchers did it. [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are flo wheels avaiable yet?

Re: Tubulars are dead and the Clinchers did it. [AaronT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps - but that's not what we're talking about. MOPers, specifically, Triathlon MOPers have to carry their own spare, change their own tire, and pay for their own wheels, including tires. When it comes down to it, clinchers are more convenient and still come within a hair's width of matching tubular performance.

Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars are dead and the Clinchers did it. [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmanners wrote:
Are flo wheels avaiable yet?

not yet
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars are dead and the Clinchers did it. [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe we're going to talk about this again! That being said, I'll give my standard anti-tubular reason - flats are expensive!

Prev Next