Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
what does "rear shock" do? Is that necessary?

I really, really, don't quite know what I'm doing here. I liked the bike I rode this summer (CAAD 5) so I'm looking at a newer one but similar to it! I don't know all these bike terms!
He was teasing. Rear shocks are for full suspension mountain bikes, Cannondale just has their site set up so they list everything for every bike, whether it is relevant or not.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [TriJeffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, I understand now:

-The R700 is the name on the 2006 CAAD 8

-The "optimo" are the names on the 2007 CAAD 8

not confused anymore!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One more tip-

There will be many pedal and shoe options for you. I have SPD and LOOK pedals. A bonus of the SPDs is that spinning bikes have SPD clips. You can use your shoes for your bike and when you teach spinning class.

:)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [cyclng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know fit is important! I'll even do a "critique my fit" post when I get it, and then you can all poke fun at my dorm room decorations, and carpet, and outfit, and tell me the seat is too high!

the difference between 52cm and 54cm doesnt' seem like that much - either should fit, is that what you're getting at by saying "forget the size and get the one that looks better"? I don't remember what size the one I had this summer was... I just rode the damn thing

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep!

With mostly 105 components, $900 is a pretty decent deal. Just make sure the LBS spends some time working on the fit. And be prepared to walk away if neither fits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, to confuse you again, if you look on a CAAD8 R700, one of the decals says "Optimo".

Don't analyse it too much. The geometry is the same on all the aluminium Cannondales. Just get the right size, in a colour you like, and ride the hell out of it.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [More is MORE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won't get a black one, the options are red or silver.

The one I borrowed this summer was black. It was beautiful, and I loved it. Then I had to give it back :( sad day.

White? No way. Red is fine, blue's alright, but I'd never buy a white bike.

Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ooo thanks for the tip.

I also found out that pedals don't come with the bike, you have to buy them separately?! Sheesh. That's like having to pay an extra couple hundred dollars for car keys or something!

Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [cyclonehockey21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ohhhh I see. Yeah I want a road bike, not a mountain bike!

Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've already got shoes, Pearl Izium somethingorothers. Not fancy, but they work :D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is mine (or very much like it). Little bit of black is OK, but mostly white. Very sweet.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [More is MORE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the black, white, and red look good together.

I think the issue I have with white is that doesn't it get noticably dirty? Like white cars never look good to me.

I like sparkly silvery colors

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just get the right size, in a colour you like, and ride the hell out of it.

mmmm biking. I haven't been biking in a really long time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really, no more than any other colour except maybe brown. Do you want a brown bike? You should be washing the bike regularly anyway.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [TriJeffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay. They said free fit with purchase of bike :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brown is a calm color. For chocolate, not for bikes :)

I want a sssssiiiillllvvveeeerrrrr bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 silver bikes. Definitely the best color!

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
White bikes are faster!!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's alllll about the engine

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are great bikes.

I have sold several cannondales, and they fit a bit long, esp. for women if you get a "mens" frame. If you are 5'6" you prob get a 52 cm (i don't have a clue on how tall you are).

You're very cutesy on this thread. What the heck?? Pretending you don't know anything about bikes?? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You really don't know much about bikes, do you? ;-)

I think you should look bikes with either 105 or the slightly more expensive Ultegra components, and the R700 you're looking at falls right in there. Ask if they have an R700 Feminine and ride that and see if you like it better. It has a slightly shorter toptube and different geometry better suited for some women.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [sleepy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'7" and I have very long legs. And swimmer shoulders!

yeah yeah. tease the blonde girl why don't we.

Quote Reply
Re: Trying to buy a bike, can someone answer a few Q for me? [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! Will do. I don't know what they'll have since it's the end of the season but it is worth a try :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Girls...err women tend to have longer legs and shorter torsos in proportion to men. That's why when you're looking at all these bikes everyone says "get a good fitter". Some bikes are a bit more "man" proportioned, so they won't work out in some cases.

I don't think swimmer shoulders will affect your frame size, but i've been known to be wrong.
Quote Reply

Prev Next