Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s already airbag helmets that detect falls. Also already patents on no helmet neck ring airbags for cycling.

Even if so, that’s tech that’s at least 5 years old.

We have mips smart helmets already that send crash alerts. We have helmets that project a laser bike lane onto the road.

I’d be super disappointed in a helmet.

Or in woven in reflective carbon or clothes. Lights work. Too much reflective turns you into a target as what eyes follow so do hands on steering wheels.

To really change cycling in the US, it would have to be something involving car/bike interaction that really changes the game for rec and commuters. For me anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [davidwilcock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davidwilcock wrote:
Also not excluding the possibility that this is nowhere near as exciting as people are speculating.

Does this mean I won?
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

I’d be super disappointed in a helmet.

Welp, prepare to be disappointed then.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know if this is it, but I have insider knowledge that they are releasing some new helmets soon. They have better protection than mips, or so they say
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm.??? What insexpensive item can we modify so we can charge the crap out of it and up our margins 300%, someone never said.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [MCSLC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It can't be more disappointing then ironman's big announcement today.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Afg53 wrote:
I don’t know if this is it, but I have insider knowledge that they are releasing some new helmets soon. They have better protection than mips, or so they say
Does that include a ballista replacement?
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops, one day early... Links to wavecel.trekbikes.com, which is not yet open to viewing

Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Googling "WaveCel" gets a bunch of patents attributed to Trek/Bontrager and a few shop sites, including this one:

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [msrixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it is a helmet that does a better job at protecting the head than what we have on the market right now. I guess that is great (take it from someone who was sidelined for 6 months with a concussion!). But i would have expected more, or maybe just that it would be dirt cheap because the new material is so.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like your logic, but not sure about that. Says expected price is $300. But yes would be nice to have all the way down through the helmet line rather than mostly at the higher end as MIPS tends to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thing is, it's always a dicey prospect to have a world changing safety tech that retails at a pretty out of reach price point for folks.

Statistically, if you included Trek/Bont worldwide.......this tech would be most beneficial to have been rolled out in a sub-$100 commuter helmet for the Euro market.

Does it even have the similar crash notification of the S-Works helmet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.trekbikes.com/...ecel-helmets/c/E399/

well there is for $150, so I guess its a start
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
buzz wrote:

i wondered if it was an evolution of the sort of crash-proof fabric scott was experimenting with.

Maybe a new helmet material. Would be important but people would also be meh.

Called it! Three pages ago. And let me know when it's less than $80.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get that Trek invented it and therefore should profit from it, but if this is truly as revolutionary as they claim, should it be similar to the seatbelt? Aka something that should be shared openly and allowed to be produced by all other companies? Given, we don't have a ton of info yet, but seems a bit contradictory to say,

"We made cycling safer for everyone!*"

*Everyone that buys from us and no one else.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msrixon wrote:
https://www.trekbikes.com/...ecel-helmets/c/E399/

well there is for $150, so I guess its a start

I stand corrected. For day 1 offering, $150 isn’t astronomical. When some commuters have super expensive e-bikes $150 isn’t asking too much.

$300 for the racy version is a hard pass.

The Sworks with mips and angi sensor is $250.

I would have thought they’d try to hit the same price point to something arguably the same, or better.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a youngster racing XC and spending time at the freeride area. It's hard to say no to better safety when it's your kid. He has, after all, just one brain.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting and important, but slightly disappointing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

I would have thought they’d try to hit the same price point to something arguably the same, or better.

Well if you trust the data in the study linked above it could be much, much better. That is if you trust that the "slip" helmet is indicative of a good MIPS helmet and trust that the experiment design tests for the right things.

Edit: And I'm all in. After having seen someone die in front of me from being internally decapitated after a head strike from a mundane-looking fall, I have absolutely zero price sensitivity for helmets. They could charge me $10K.

Last edited by: trail: Mar 19, 19 7:02
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slightly?? This product was absurdly (and mistakenly) over-hyped by Trek.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

Agreed. Marketing Dept. is a completely separate monster than industrial design/manufacturing so they ran with it.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I think in part, it was the length of the build up. If they had just given us a few days then it probably would have been less disappointing. But given the time it just set themselves up for a fall.

But, I am in the market for a new helmet and interested and will wait for the dust to settle and actually see some feedback from reviewers / users.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Agreed. Marketing Dept. is a completely separate monster than industrial design/manufacturing so they ran with it.

Agreed+2. It's so over hyped I think Trek is so damn stupid. Trek, if you see this please grow up.
It was so childish and stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tim O’Donnell has worn the Bontrager Ballista to some very respectable bike splits in Kona so it will be interesting to see how it stacks up against that. The good news is the Trek-Segafredo world tour team will have a lot of feedback and testing of the design. If this is their pro team helmet this will not be a dog.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Mar 19, 19 7:33
Quote Reply

Prev Next