Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bazilbrush wrote:
I'll go with them adopting Ceramic Speed drivetrain technology, dispensing with chains, FD and RD and going direct drive for efficiency gains. Bring it on!

Trek is smarter than that

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek stores are going to stock something other than Bontrager, giving people a reason to shop there?
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is some sort of reflective clothing - A visiblity thing - fabric, frame material, decals, something - It will make us safer, faster, blah blah blah - plus it will come in all sizes, shapes, etc - Nothing really of note
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Genji40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Genji40 wrote:
It is some sort of reflective clothing - A visiblity thing - fabric, frame material, decals, something - It will make us safer, faster, blah blah blah - plus it will come in all sizes, shapes, etc - Nothing really of note

I think you got one word correct 😉

Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who said the new product has to be a bike? Has anyone thought about the new release being a bike helmet? I have heard through the grapevine it will be a new helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [hofo30] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek just signed an agreement to supply Bontrager parts/apparel thru REI and I bet its not a coincidence. That means a helmet is a good bet or some form of 'smart clothing.' I don't think it will be something super high end but rather a product designed for day-to-day use on the mass market. This would help justify both the agreement with REI and the bold statements Trek is making.

If we look at the cycling industry as a whole commuting/transport needs to be the next revolution. If Trek has a product that can change the commuter market in the same way carbon fibre changed the racing market their hype is justified.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [hofo30] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be anything like they have claimed "once in 30 years" it has to be something more than a helmet or reflective wrap. I'm not saying those things would not welcome, but game changing they are not. Unless you are talking about a helmet that would deploy a body encasing airbag.

Brian

Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dopers.Suck wrote:
I’m fairly certain it’s a new highly advanced helmet technology that’s much much safer than current helmets and prevents concussions. It may even almost eliminate concussions from bike crashes! That’s only a guess but we’ll see next week.

Like a giant pogo-stick...hit the ground & bounce down the road on your melon until you come to a slow stop.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Dopers.Suck wrote:
I’m fairly certain it’s a new highly advanced helmet technology that’s much much safer than current helmets and prevents concussions. It may even almost eliminate concussions from bike crashes! That’s only a guess but we’ll see next week.

Like a giant pogo-stick...hit the ground & bounce down the road on your melon until you come to a slow stop.

Not quite

Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
Trek just signed an agreement to supply Bontrager parts/apparel thru REI and I bet its not a coincidence. That means a helmet is a good bet or some form of 'smart clothing.' I don't think it will be something super high end but rather a product designed for day-to-day use on the mass market. This would help justify both the agreement with REI and the bold statements Trek is making.

If we look at the cycling industry as a whole commuting/transport needs to be the next revolution. If Trek has a product that can change the commuter market in the same way carbon fibre changed the racing market their hype is justified.

I'll go with a smart jersey that doesn't need your phone in it. It can detect heart rate, sweat issues and make calls automatically if you are in need of help...

Wild guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A guess with a lot of details huh.... hmmmmmm
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also want to play xD

I think is some short of abrasion-resistant fabric so you don't lose any skin if/when you fall.

Just like any of the existent solutions but better ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [elquike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Close but no cigar 😉

Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [boostedcvc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't be disappointing if it was just something simple as a chamois
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
elquike wrote:
I also want to play xD

I think is some short of abrasion-resistant fabric so you don't lose any skin if/when you fall.

Just like any of the existent solutions but better ;-)

boostedcvc wrote:
Close but no cigar 😉

How 'bout clothing that keeps you from falling in the first place? A small unit with a 3-axis gyro on the back senses when you're about to fall, and uses replaceable CO2 cartidges and a network of valves, hoses, and nozzles to direct a blast of gas in the proper direction to counter your impending fall, kind of like the steering thrusters on a spacecraft?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boostedcvc wrote:
Genji40 wrote:

I'm guessing the word "material." They wouldn't be talking about carbon fiber if they weren't introducing a new material. Graphene, Cellulose Nano Crystals, something like that.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
boostedcvc wrote:
Genji40 wrote:

I'm guessing the word "material." They wouldn't be talking about carbon fiber if they weren't introducing a new material. Graphene, Cellulose Nano Crystals, something like that.

Material wasn’t what I was referencing 👍

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boostedcvc wrote:
Close but no cigar 😉

Back to the drawing desk!
Time to review all the hints you've already given us and think of a better idea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah there is the clue it's no cigar... it's Hemp Fiber :) (Pink?)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a Belgian company called REI4CED who have developed and patented a new type of composite which uses thin steel fibres to increase impact resistance amongst other things without adding weight, for which they've also developed a new way of producing. It's developed for air planes, cars and bicycles and they state they are working together with a market leader to develop a bicycle frame (for which they have sold their technology).

https://rein4ced.com/

So this might have something to do with it I think..
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
There's a Belgian company called REI4CED who have developed and patented a new type of composite which uses thin steel fibres to increase impact resistance amongst other things without adding weight, for which they've also developed a new way of producing. It's developed for air planes, cars and bicycles and they state they are working together with a market leader to develop a bicycle frame (for which they have sold their technology).

This peaked my interest (I'm in aerospace composites R&D) but their website screams 'start-up' at me, not a technology that's available to use. Very little technical information which makes it look much closer to being a concept rather than something truly available. I'll email them to ask for some info - but I'd very much doubt they're in a state where Trek would be making a big deal out of something that seems nowhere near reality at commercial scale.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
Tri_Joeri wrote:

This peaked my interest (I'm in aerospace composites R&D) but their website screams 'start-up' at me, not a technology that's available to use. Very little technical information which makes it look much closer to being a concept rather than something truly available. I'll email them to ask for some info - but I'd very much doubt they're in a state where Trek would be making a big deal out of something that seems nowhere near reality at commercial scale.

I agree but saying you're developing a revolutionary composite and are designing a bike frame together with a big player in the bicycle industry is quite a bold statement to make for a start up. I'm curious as to if it has anything to do with Trek, it certainly seems like it could.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are lots of companies making bold statements about revolutionary composites so I'm expecting to see some more data or evidence besides just a few pictures without any technical details. Every supplier I meet with has the best new technology that's gonna take over the world... so they say. Let's look at data in detail to see what's real and where the applications and limitations are.

Sporting goods applications are easier to get into than aerospace, though aerospace is the biggest market for composites. So I'd expect a startup to venture into sporting goods first - and belgians won't care about impact resistance of baseball bats as much as they care about bikes. I'm sure it would be more logical for them to work with Ridley or Merckx rather than Trek, on a smaller scale... so yeah definitely skeptical about the current state.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [potomuchto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
potomuchto wrote:
Electric Domane+

http://e.trekbikes.com/...000000000000000e4ab7

I don't understand why companies like Pinarello and trek are making these. It instantly turns anyone on these bikes a poser.
Plus, they are crazy expensive for a motorized pedal bike. Talk about an oxymoron. You can buy a real scooter cheaper and even a sweet crotch rocket or motorcycle. I would love to know how many of these motorized bikes are sold each year, kinda like the Kona count.
Quote Reply

Prev Next