Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Treadmills with tv's, spin class in blacklight? wtf?
Quote | Reply
today I just couldn't get motivated to train the same old shit. so, I thought a new gym would be fun, plus for the first time in 3 months I thought I would do "real" strength training workout just to get myself feeling good.

So, I go to a new Gold's Gym. I went in, paid for the day (15 bucks!), and toured around.

The place was unreal! Here's a short rundown:

-Cardio Cinema>treads, bikes, and everything else in a dark room with a huge screen and a movie playing.

-spin class room that is lit strictly with blacklight.

-Treadmills and bikes with their own tv! Can you believe that? Or, am I just training in the dark ages?

-Fancy silver finish weight equipment--alot of hammer strength stuff (which, give me a rack of dumbells and a squat rack anyday. a tall cable pull system if someone is feeling generous)

-"rubberized" wieght plates and dumbells. This I really don't like, but it's what they had. it probably protects the concrets floor to some extent.

Ultimatley I did free weights and was the only woman in the free weight area. There were plenty of meat head types, and the environment was more about posture than anything...this doesn't impress me at all. one really big guy was nice and we worked a few sets in between.

But overall, is all of that flash necessary? Has america gotten to the point where a person can't workout unless there is a tv directly in front of their face?

Maybe I'm "old school", or a purist, but give me a "dungeon" like free weight pit anyday, where the atmospere is serious, the squat racks are old, the plates have a little rust and there is steam on the mirrors. Sure, it's masculine, but it's raw and exciting. I just don't get why every place has to have 20 tv's all over the place to get a person excited to exercise.

kitty
Last edited by: kittycat: Nov 20, 04 12:38
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmills with tv's, spin class in blacklight? wtf? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know - that TV is pretty nice when you're on he treadmill for a long time....

I think if you're indoors running on a treadmill, you're not really old-school anyway.

I find it just about impossible to get a good run in on a treadmill. Without a tv or whatever, it's just absolutely too boring. Kills brain cells faster than booze. With a tv, impossible to stay focused enough on running to get a good workout.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmills with tv's, spin class in blacklight? wtf? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW I've been spinning for years and been a spin instructor for over two. Every 'spinning' room I have been involved with has been lit with black lights. The creator of spinning is a bit of a 'free' thinker and if he had his way he would have the room completely black. If you're used to some other type of class lamond, reabok, etc. they may not have the same philosophy.

Personally I don't mind having the newer equipment, the thing that bugs me about some gyms is that its more of a social center then a place to sweat. The people that show up in cologne or full makeup and jewelry need to stay out of the way please.
Last edited by: ECE: Nov 20, 04 13:56
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmills with tv's, spin class in blacklight? wtf? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OUr gym recently put in the TVs with a treadmill attached. I can't watch it though. It's too close, and can't focus properly on it. Anyway, I usually have MP3 player on and participate in my other favourite sport: watching people.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I force myself to run on treadmills in the winter, it IS boring. I try to break it up by doing sets on treadmill, bike, eliptical, depending on how crowded it is. spinning is usually held in a darkened room or with black lights, from my experience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmills with tv's, spin class in blacklight? wtf? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point.

However, growing up in California made me soft and I haven't been able to motivate myself to run outside though the cold Chicago winter ;)

There is a certain irony in driving to a gym to exercise. From my experience they are a breeding ground of guys trying to pick up girls, girls trying to be picked up, and not much exercise.

With rare exceptions, I avoid them.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainers and treadmills are of the devil !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But overall, is all of that flash necessary? Has america gotten to the point where a person can't workout unless there is a tv directly in front of their face?

Maybe I'm "old school", or a purist, but give me a "dungeon" like free weight pit anyday, where the atmospere is serious, the squat racks are old, the plates have a little rust and there is steam on the mirrors. Sure, it's masculine, but it's raw and exciting. I just don't get why every place has to have 20 tv's all over the place to get a person excited to exercise.

kitty

That dungeon you speak of reminds me of that scene from one of the Rocky's (III I think), where Apollo Crede takes Rocky back to the gym where he started out.

As for "Has America gotten to the point..."... The whole world has. It's marketing. Athletes... triathletes... they are not the target market for these enterprises. "The Masses" are. The gym owners know that if the triathlete showed up at the front door, and it was locked, he or she is just as likely to change in their car, put on their running shoes, and turn their spin class workout into a road workout. Because the triathlete uses the gym for a specific training or workout session, they don't care about the name, flash or colour... But attract the masses and you attract the $$
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Treadmills with tv's, spin class in blacklight? wtf? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, I salute you, it gets cold in the winter around here. Also, I get motivated by some of the group classes. Sometimes I bike or run to the gym, lift weights, then go home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmills with tv's, spin class in blacklight? wtf? [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run outside, it is never too cold or too hot. I refuse to run inside. As long as you have the proper clothing it really is never too cold to run outside. Maybe because I come from a running background I appreciate running in different types of weather. Try it, you'll like it.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmills with tv's, spin class in blacklight? wtf? [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how you guys find it ok to run in the dark. I always run indoors in the winter on weekdays because by the time I get home it's dark. I don't think it's worth the risk of injury to run outside when you can't see squat.

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll just add a tidbit before I go to the gym this afternoon. (which actually very much a big, airy, family-oriented place, so there's all ages and all levels of fitness and commitment there)

It should come as no surprise that all this technology gunk is inhabiting gyms as well as cars and our homes. Technology has an unstoppable inertia all its own. If it gets more people off their butts, its good, I guess. But as we all know, you won't find the fittest people inside anywhere. -TB
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmills with tv's, spin class in blacklight? wtf? [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Run outside, it is never too cold or too hot. I refuse to run inside. As long as you have the proper clothing it really is never too cold to run outside. Maybe because I come from a running background I appreciate running in different types of weather. Try it, you'll like it.

You may impress me by saying what you said, AND living in a cold, icy climate. But here in Minnesota, there are definitely days that are too cold to run. It can also be very ice on the paths/sidwalks, and when it's dark 23 hours of the day, that can be a bit dangerous.

I've "tried" it. I don't like it.

What I like less is the shock from going back outside to run once the weather recovers. My did those treadmills have me thinking I was fast.

==================================
but I can deal with the angels, cause it ain’t me they’re here to claim. it’s a good night for blowing ‘em off til some other day
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmills with tv's, spin class in blacklight? wtf? [minny expat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not trying to impress anybody, just saying I like running it different kinds of weather. Your eyes adjust to the dark. Let my ask you this, why would it be too cold to run?? Gortex clothes and a face mask usually works in the coldest weather. I have those rubber cleats that pull over your shoes, those seem to stop slipping on ice. Now I won't run in lightning I figure I'm pushing my luck there.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmills with tv's, spin class in blacklight? wtf? [minny expat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"and when it's dark 23 hours of the day, that can be a bit dangerous."
Really

I live in northern NY not really far from IMLP. At the least we get like 9 hours of sunlight. I ain't no geographer but you ain't much further north then we are. So what's up with the daylight thing.;-) Is God cheating you of sunlight?
Dirtball
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmills with tv's, spin class in blacklight? wtf? [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]"and when it's dark 23 hours of the day, that can be a bit dangerous."
Really

The average for St. Paul in November is 10:40 hours of daylight and in December it is 9:20 then goes up from there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-Cardio Cinema>treads, bikes, and everything else in a dark room with a huge screen and a movie playing.

Sounds like my basement if I ever splurge for an LCD projector (might buy one of the schools older models when it comes time to replace them with newer ones).

-Treadmills and bikes with their own tv! Can you believe that? Or, am I just training in the dark ages?

At this point I am for whatever gets folks off the couch. I'd rather people run/ride while watching TV than just "sit there". Treadmill runnin ghas the be the most boring thing ever. I can even tolerate the CTV or whatever the country music station is, when I am running on the tread at the YMCA.

alot of hammer strength stuff

Hammer Strength Stuff is the real deal. For folks that donot feel comfortable with free weights, or looking to stress a muscle group with a new movement, HS is legit. Even "hardcore" folks have been known to use HS equipment. MaxBob's in DC uses em, and that's about the most hardcore training facility I've heard of ... right up there with "The Pit" in Indiana.

-"rubberized" wieght plates and dumbells. This I really don't like, but it's what they had. it probably protects the concrets floor to some extent.

Yes. I worked in a gym before, and it's amazing how many folks just drop the db's. some of it's because they're tired, some of it's because they're a "badass" and some of it's because they don't know any better. Replacing fixed dumbbells is almost as expensive as buying new ones.

There were plenty of meat head types, and the environment was more about posture than anything

That was a given once you said the name "Golds" ... pumpers, posers, etc ... Gold's is a haven for those seeking "social hour". My buddy and I went to Gold's on I-35 in KC. Started doing deadlifts and were told that deadlifts were not allowed. On our way out we saw a woman yawning during a set of pulldowns. We went to Meffet's and found "lifter's heaven".

Maybe I'm "old school", or a purist, but give me a "dungeon" like free weight pit anyday, where the atmospere is serious, the squat racks are old, the plates have a little rust and there is steam on the mirrors.

You must be a friend that I haven't met yet. Brooks Kubik (http://www.brookskubik.com) would shed a tear with what you've just written. He refers to modern gyms as "chrome and fern" land. =)

Best gyms are the old YMCA's that haven't been updated yet. For the power/Oly/Lifters that haven't been frustrated enough with modern gyms to move into their garage/basement ... that's where the real deal is. Sometimes it seems like a scene right out of pumping iron.

-----------------------------

People go to the gym for different reasons. It's important to find one that keeps you going back, and inspires you when you are there. Sometimes it takes a lot of searching. Old School gyms are out there. They really are. Finding them can be tough.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Nov 21, 04 15:31
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmills with tv's, spin class in blacklight? wtf? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's how to find the gym for you KittyCat ...

Walk in and at the counter ask "Do you allow chalk?"

If they say, "what?" ... leave.

If they say "nope" ... leave.

If they say, "Yeah ... but you have to bring your own" ... buy a 6-month membership.

If they say "sure we have 4 chalk boxes over there by the power racks" ... buy a year-membership.

If they add "... and here is the Krazy Glue to glue down your ripped callouses" ... buy a lifetime membership.

Nothing is as fun as chalking your hands, back, neck, etc ... and having it turn to paste once it mixes with your sweat. Getting dirty is half the fun.

=)

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My initial response may have come off a bit snotty. It wasn't meant to be.

==================================
but I can deal with the angels, cause it ain’t me they’re here to claim. it’s a good night for blowing ‘em off til some other day
Quote Reply