Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Time to toughen up what makes a "pro"
Quote | Reply
I was looking at the Lake Placid Kona slots and noticed the last place female pro got a kona slot. (2 dnf'd)This after being beat by almost every female age grouper that qualified. I think its time to toughen up the professional standards. Send Marisol to kona instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to toughen up what makes a "pro" [dwillet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  I totally agree. I am tired of seeing these "Pros" getting their doors blown off by Age Groupers. I do not care for the excuses, do you think an NBA team would get beat by a college team. In no other sport are the pros getting beaten more by their amateur competitors.

Jimmy S.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll agree with that...according to the USAT website it's not that hard to become a pro. You could very easily cherry pick some local races, get the 3 events, then sign up as a pro and qualify for Kona. It might be easier to qualify as a pro than some age groups.

Elite Pro Qualification Criteria:

An athlete must finish top 10 overall and within 10 percent of the overall winner's time (by gender) in three events that:
  1. were sanctioned by USAT
  2. occurred within the past 12 months
  3. had at least 200 participants (male and female combined)

Please note:
  • An elite license is based on a calendar year. It expires at the end of each year regardless of when the license is purchased.
  • Once a pro/elite card expires, an athlete can choose to go back to amateur racing but only when that card has expired.
  • A printout of the actual race results from the web must be provided with the application. A race resume is not acceptable.
  • For an elite triathlete license, an athlete must submit triathlon results.
  • For an elite duathlete license, an athlete must submit duathlon results.
  • Athletes MUST submit an application and race results at least five days before the event at which they want to compete as a pro.
  • Elite triathletes can also compete as elite duathletes while elite duathletes remain amateur triathletes.
  • Amateurs must take pro athletes into considering their top 10 finish if the pro athletes races the same course and format as the amateurs.
  • In order to upgrade a pro duathlon license to a pro triathlon license, athletes must submit three triathlon race results that qualify them.

Special consideration for exceptions to the above rule will be granted by the USA Triathlon Athlete's Advisory Council based on the following criteria:
  1. Athlete has been on the USA Swimming, USA Cycling, or USA Track and Field Olympic Team, Pan American Team, or USA Elite National Team AND
  2. Athlete must have finished top 10 overall and within 10 percent of the overall winner's time in one sanctioned USAT triathlon that occurred within the past 12 months and had over 200 participants.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why? What's it to you? They aren't taking away any AG slots. If you think it's easier to get to Kona as a pro, go for it.

Complaining that some pros are 'too slow' is like complaining that some AG athletes are 'too fast' and have too much time to train, and are sponsored, etc. To each his/her own.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to toughen up what makes a "pro" [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why? What's it to you? They aren't taking away any AG slots. If you think it's easier to get to Kona as a pro, go for it.

Exactly. If it's so easy to cherry pick three races and get a pro card, quit whining and do it already.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's time to toughen up the standards and put some meaning behind the word "pro" in our sport.

It goes way beyond Kona slots.

You have to agree that the "pro" standards set by USAT are a bit generous.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to toughen up what makes a "pro" [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It goes way beyond Kona slots. All the way to what?

You have to agree that the "pro" standards set by USAT are a bit generous. They are, but so what? Would tightening the standards make it easier for actual pros to make a living at the sport?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Time to toughen up what makes a "pro" [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"All the way to what?"
Prize money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prize money? I don't understand. I thought you were complaining about triathletes who weren't good enough to be called pros. Now they're hogging the prize money?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that it doesn't take much to become a pro, but being pro only means that you are eligable to win prize money and not eligable to win AG awards.

Does it 'look' bad to have a pro get beaten by AGers, maybe, but only for that person.

I don't concern myself with the pros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a joke to have races where the pros get prize money but are in fact beaten by age groupers.

Yeah they're hogging the prize money in this case. They were beaten.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see.

Does that happen often?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, then it's up to the AGers to step up and become pros to become eligable for prize money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont concern myself much with the pros either, but in alot of races the differences are big.

AG awards...a towel, a plaque, a trophy,pair of socks, or a workout bag.

Pros...$500, $300, $200...whatever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More often than you think.

I'm for putting a meaning behind a classification. That's my deal...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe we should just do away with the classification entirely.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a serious question:

Do you really need a "pro card" to race as a pro at IMNA events? There are a few guys that I've seen "race" as pros that don't come close to the USAT qualification standard. Sometimes I think all you have to do is check the "pro" box on the application and bam! You're a pro.

If someone wants to race "pro" and come in 689 place that's fine with me. However I hope they aren't able to sign up for IMNA events 4, 3, 2 months before the race. I hope its just not that easy.

Cheers!

Trevor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever - the only people who have a legitimate gripe about prize money would be those fast AGers that are beating pros.

And if they have a gripe, they should get a pro card (if they can)

I'm all for that but there may be a tax reason for it as well. Apparently if you are listed as a pro the money you get is taxed as well as the sponsorship dollars and stuff that you get. I may have that wrong. In addition, if a foreign triathlete is here in the US or anywhere else I believe his pro card entitles him/her to a different visa classification where they can stay beyond the 3 mos tourist visa...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't triathlon RDs do what most road races (running) do...first X across the line, male and female, get cash. Do one cares if you're 'pro' or not.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Time to toughen up what makes a "pro" [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know several triathletes who became pros for the very reason of being able to enter any IMNA event as a pro and avoid the 1 yr signup hassle and raffle. From what I understand they are able to enter differently and at their leisure and pretty much be guaranteed an entry. I may be wrong but that's another reason to toughen up the standards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm all for that but there may be a tax reason for it as well. Apparently if you are listed as a pro the money you get is taxed as well as the sponsorship dollars and stuff that you get. I'm pretty sure that would apply to anyone who won prize money. I could be wrong. (Although I suppose pros could deduct expenses like race fees and travel costs, while age groupers can't.)

What would your criteria for professional status be?

Quote Reply
Re: Time to toughen up what makes a "pro" [Wednesday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have that very question. But alot of the races I've done the rules always state AGers are not eligible for prize $$$.

One race series I've done gets around this by having an "Open" wave where those people don't have to be pros but can enter the wave if they want to gun for prize money. That makes them ineligible for AG prizes. It seems to make the most sense and is fair.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: LarryCalifornia: Aug 3, 04 13:20
Quote | Reply
I'd have to think a bit longer but maybe make it race length dependent. It really doesn't make sense to be able to earn your pro card at 3 local sprint races and enjoy the benefits that pro athletes enjoy at the Ironman level in terms of entry, etc...That's a tremendous incentive in and of itself for the pro card. Somehow tying the pro card status to USAT rankings seems to be the most relevant way to determine a pro or not. Isn't that what rankings are for?
Quote Reply

Prev Next