Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Time to toughen up what makes a "pro" [marce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you Mike about the times 17-55-31= 1.45 pace. There are a few decent men in Michigan that could turn Pro right now. I thought about getting my pro card at first, but then thought, I am just not fast enought to compete for ITU points. Besides, when I went to World Qaulifier last year, I got my @$$ handed to me by FL, CO, and CA age groupers. I think it's easier to make the pro requirements in Michigan than CA. If I ever get to a level close to 1.55 or below... Perhaps... BTW, you've been blazing trails lately...Any big races planned for the rest of the season?

-Matt West
Quote Reply
Re: Time to toughen up what makes a "pro" [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To straighten out a few misconceptions:

Pros who want to enter an IMNA race have to get their entry in 30 days before the race, and pay the $400 (unless they've been top-5 before). Homestays are kinda iffy.

As has been noted, the races aren't infested with pros, there's no problem with too many people "cherry picking" and turning pro. The qualifications are fine, when the $ gets decent, we'll talk about tightening the rules. Right now there's more money in picking up aluminum cans.

Not to tweek age groupers, but what business is it of yours what pros do? It affects you...how? If you want to turn pro, step up to the plate. Just don't quit your day job.

And I'm all for prize money being "equitable" instead of "equal". When there are 40 pro men and 12 pro women, hey, let's adjust things.

And as far as I know, I'm the oldest pro male (42) and Jan Wanklyn is probably the oldest pro chick (45?).

And yes -Tex, it's about time.

-bobo

-

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Re: Time to toughen up what makes a "pro" [bobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bobo,

Thanks for the clarification on what the entry policies really are.

And congratulations on being one of the oldest "pro" triathletes too.

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to toughen up what makes a "pro" [jonathanb565] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"so how old are the oldest male and female pro triathletes?"

Although she races age group, 50+ female Mary Dunn could get a pro card if she wanted one. I've been at races in the last couple years that she won outright against solid competition.

JJ

Every night that I run, the thought crosses my mind that there's no way in hell I'll still be running a month from now.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to toughen up what makes a "pro" [dwillet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK folks, I'm going to end this thread for all of you, and tell you what a real pro is. Actually it is natural selection that denotes who is a pro and who is not. You are a pro if you make money, PERIOD!!!! You can race in the pro division, you can walk around holding your pro card, you can brag to your friends that you are a professional triathlete, and you can even tell the IRS that you are a pro. If you don't make any money, which most registered pros don't, then you are an amateur, PERIOD!. I raced as a pro for 15 years, and believe me it was tough. I won a lot of races, and was rarely out of the top 5 in any race, and I just got by, making what a school teacher would make. I got to travel the world like a millionaire on my sponsors, and race directors nickel, but I didn't become one. I wouldn't trade the expirence that I had for anything. What ever perks I got, and continue to get because of what I did those years, I feel I deserve.

There was no qualifying in the old days, you raced with everyone, and at the end, checks were handed out. If you got one you were a pro. I understand the need for a pro division, we worked for that for many years. There is a difference between the people making a living, and those who are just playing their sport. The USAT standards are really irrelevant, in that it is still up to the athlete to decide. While many of you age groupers( myself included now), compare your times with the pros after the race, and think that you would have placed in so and so spot, let me tell you it is a whole different ballgame pitching up in that first wave. I've seen so many top age groupers try and make the jump, and on paper they look like shoe ins, only to get their asses handed to them in a year or two. If once in awhile, in some obscure race, a pro qualifies for some big event like Ironman with a weak time, so what. It doesn't happen often, and if there is real money at the race, it will most likely never happen. Money makes a race a pro event, not IQ slots, just like money earned, makes a pro triathlete.

What most of you imagine that pros get financially out of this sport, is way overestimated, and most of them suffer a lot more than you do to have their shot at racing at the top of our sport. Give them a break, get off their back, or go pro and go head to head.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to toughen up what makes a "pro" [dwillet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think if you were a top age grouper, why not enter the Pro field? If its easier to qualify for Kona then go for it! Its not like they are stopping anyone from filing for a Pro card
Quote Reply
Re: Time to toughen up what makes a "pro" [jsquared] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AG racing, even at the top levels is easier than racing pro.
In the AGers there are usually many more feet to follow in the swim, more people to pass in the bike and more people to catch in the run.
In a pro field, even a small one, if you don't swim sub 18:45 you might as well just pack it up and go home after the swim. Unless your racing ITU then you better be around 17:45 and praying for a fast chase pack on the bike.
AGer's have people they can pass on the bike, you'd be amazed at how those 15secs your allowed in the draft zone when passing can help your race. There have been pro races where I've passed no one. Got out of the water 5th and off the bike 5th. Thats after a low 56 40k.
Running, my 34 min run splits looked good in the AG ranks but lost me 1-3 min per race in the pro ranks off the fastest runners.
It's a fast world to make very little if any $. The perks aren't for every race either. The majority of races make pro's pay an entry fee, pay for hotel and some even charge pro's more to race.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next