Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge.
Quote | Reply
The writing is on the wall. This is what it says:
  • 101 has a distance that will likely appeal to all those who have already done Ironman/IMNA/WTC events.
  • 101 will appeal to these athletes because of the frustrations they have had with IMNA/WTC/Ironman events.
  • There has been little or no real competition for IMNA/WTC/Ironman events until 101. There is a "Coke" but no "Pepsi". 101 is the "Pepsi" to WTC/IMNA's "Coke".
  • 101 will pioneer media coverage in real time with internet coverage- the new media of choice among the athletes doing the event. Everyone will want to be in the show.
  • 101 is coming along when the timing is really right.

I'm pretty excited about this 101 series...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Last edited by: Tom Demerly: Dec 14, 06 13:07
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You missed some of the most obvious. So far they have really listened to what the athletes want...better swag, better race transfer policy and in general, better customer service.
I am very interested to see how they handle the drafting issue. If they can really enfore it, I am sold on the series 100%. Right now, I am only 95%. ;)

The distance is fantastic.
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have you signed up? that is the way i support something.

------------------------------------------------------------
"No one ever told me they made black fondant!" - Duff Goldman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a link to the races or a main page?

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tom, if it were a 4K swim, I would agree with you, and they really listened to the athletes.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- and -
Recovery time is less! Bonus!
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% right on - these guys have done some nice things but ignored a very real issue in the swim

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom

What about location, location, location? I don't see that in your points. Personally, I don't see the allure of going to Woodlands, TX. I know Shannon and his races are TOP NOTCH - not quite 5430 quality, but very, very well done. However, if I am baby boomer (I am not) and I have money to spend, I am taking my family to a desitnation race - in CA, in FL - somewhere warm where my spouse can shop and enjoy herself. Woodlands, TX? Is this like Boulder in 1980 and I don't know it? If it is, then Great!

What is going to be the catch for AGers? Swag? AGers want swag over an IM Kona slot?

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although a very happy Coke drinker since my first IMC in '93, I too am excited about the series. I hope they do a great job and offer a race product on par with the various WTC events I've done over the years. If they do step up, I hope the alternative will take some of the pressure off the WTC events and IMC won't have to start 3,000 next year.

Real time internet media coverage has been successfully pioneered. The FREE live streaming coverage from Kona this year was incredible. We can only hope the 101 folks can offer as much.

Time will tell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom - there is another side to why this race may become popular, and that is the crowd you have omitted from your statements - those of us trying to work our way to doing our first iron distance.

Outside of the issues of deciding to register for an IM branded event or an iron distance (cost, time of year, etc) - this provides a new series of race venues that could act as a bridge to the full iron distance. I started tri this year, and figure I will need several more years of building distance and skill before I am ready to tackle an iron without it just being a slog through the race. This is a nice intermediate stepping stone between the half and full iron that could be part of a growth plan for people like me. Add to that these look like they will be quality events in areas worth making the trip to, and you really have something.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think tht this will be a really popular distance as well. I look forward to trying one out in 2008.

Tom, I elect you to champion our cause for a race in the midwest!

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [crikey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is:
http://www.trioneoone.com

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Tom - there is another side to why this race may become popular, and that is the crowd you have omitted from your statements - those of us trying to work our way to doing our first iron distance. "

Agree completely. I'm in that boat and thrilled to have a race that's longer than a half and shorter than a full!

now if only they'd make the swim a teensy bit longer for us fish!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Reddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, they could have bragged they have the best "triathlon", but instead, seems they ignored a real tri where all three parts mean something. I have to be honest that I just see it as another distance now. Still trying to find some ITU o2 races, since these will be the best long distance real tri from what I can see now.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,
I don't mean to rain on your enthusiasm but I don't think 101 is going take over from Ironman anytime soon. yes i think it's a great distance, and yes I think it's a challenge to many people, but unfotunately it's not IRONMAN. And as we look at the number of 1st timers at every IM (many places almost half) you can't really expect any of those people to make their first LD triathlon a "101" - no one knows what that is.

For the same reason the 20miler as a running distance race is almost never run. it's not a marathon and it's not a half-marathon.

I think using ST as a athlete pool you will see a lot of pro-101 comments, but I doubt there are enough STers to fill 3x 1500 athletes for some pretty out of the way locations. Seriously - Halifax? That isn't exactly Phoenix or Madison in terms of ease of travel.

Not to be too negative, but I would be shocked it any of the races fill to over 1000 this year - and bet they will be closer to 500-600 each.

I agree it's a good start and hopefully will catch on. I'll be eager to see what happens, but for me I would only do one of the races if it were in my home state or within 5 hours driving - and unfortunately none of them are.
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [woofy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm considering Bradenton since it is the very first. That would be so cool. There is only one first race!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's just me, but I'm a bit hesitant to jump on the "this is going to be huge" wagon.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The writing is on the wall. This is what it says:
  • 101 has a distance that will likely appeal to all those who have already done Ironman/IMNA/WTC events. I'm not sure I see the logic there because some like short, some like long, and this might be argued as in-between which is often a dangerous place to be in marketing
  • 101 will appeal to these athletes because of the frustrations they have had with IMNA/WTC/Ironman events. how much frustration is there being as every event sells out, and what frustrations might appear with 101 events?
  • There has been little or no real competition for IMNA/WTC/Ironman events until 101. There is a "Coke" but no "Pepsi". 101 is the "Pepsi" to WTC/IMNA's "Coke". good analogy... and every year, regardless of what Pepsi does, Coke out-sells them
  • 101 will pioneer media coverage in real time with internet coverage- the new media of choice among the athletes doing the event. Everyone will want to be in the show. pioneer? maybe I misunderstand, but if IMNA/WTC did it first, how did 101 pioneered it?
  • 101 is coming along when the timing is really right. or too late... the IronMan juggernaut has a pretty full head of steam

I'm pretty excited about this 101 series... as am I, but only next year will tell

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]For the same reason the 20miler as a running distance race is almost never run. it's not a marathon and it's not a half-marathon.[/reply]

Bingo. Training for the 101 will be nearly as intensive as training for an IM, without being able to say you did an IM (yes, most people do care about that). I fear it will fizzle in a couple of years, although I hope I'm wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to to agree with this. IM is going to be tough to unseat. Kona slots mean a lot to people. Without them, I have a difficult time wanting to sign up.

What I may use this distance for is to learn how to go long. Use these races to stepping stones to increase endurance.

One last thing, booms are started by testing limits. These races are shorter than IM, so who is the target athlete? As a person that has already done IM, I am not sure I want to go shorter, unless as I mentioned it is a purpose. No matter what, I don't see these becoming my "A" race.
Last edited by: saltman: Dec 14, 06 13:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, the two points I have issue with are interlinked to location. With due respect to the residents of the four cities they are not destination locations that fill me with excitement. I am sure that Brandenton, Halifax, Woodlands and Clearlake are lovely places but they are not Nice, Phuket, Kona or San Francisco and would take a hard sell to partners. Secondly, they are squarely aimed at the North American market and have little cachet for overseas visitors which is ignoring a huge market and one already catered for by IMNA. The website stated that in 2008 there will be 20 races worldwide but that is a bold statement and an enormous step from four domestic races.

That said I wish the organisers well and would race at one in a future "desirable" location. Maybe "101 Maui"!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [bigskyTi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forget the midwest -- lets get one here in Virginia - Smith Mountain Lake is gorgeous, you could easily engineer a challenging bike from there towards the Blue Ridge Mountains, and still have some nice areas within the state park for running. Our state needs a big event.

Good facilities around the area as well, and Roanoke is only 30 minutes away for more urban types.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope it does do well.

Mark me down for one that is fine with the "shorter" swim. I thought most of us wanted shorter swims anyway.

Also, will this appeal to those who had a less than good run at the end of an IM?

The pioneering of media coverage could be good for all, as IM and 70.3 events may have to offer equal coverage to keep up with the market. Heck, the swag may get better at other events also!
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Gator1736] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i agree with you, and i hope i am wrong as well. because everyone likes a selection and competition is good for all involved.

i think a better analogy than the one tom gave is imna/wtc/ironman events are like microsoft and everyone else is some derivative of unix. you do have your apple os 10's out there (tri-california (wildflower), sommer sports (gft)......), but at best most are just linux. i think imna/wtc will have to bring themselves down before anyone else will.

------------------------------------------------------------
"No one ever told me they made black fondant!" - Duff Goldman
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Julian:

I couldn't agree more...101 Maui would be an excellent choice. I was just there & also recently watched the coverage of the Maui Marathon, so there is plenty of road for running. Maui would be an excellent championship location. I am considering the Clearlake event since I live in the SF Bay area, but if I get into the Escape From Alcatraz, that slot would be hard to pass up. One-O-One is only moderately compelling as a brand. Perhaps, if the swim was lenghtened as some suggest, a new more powerful brand ID could be created. It is an interesting development & I hope this does well. The only thing that matters is people voting with their feet.

-Tim
Quote Reply

Prev Next