Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
I am sure the UCI will find a way to ban it.

It's UCI legal, listed on their web page (just in time for Thor to race it in the Norwegian national championships last Saturday).

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [omnivore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the deal with the tall head tube on that beast?

Have you ever had a look around generally at the set-up of many road cyclists and triathletes and seen all the stacked up front ends?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [ZipDeeDooDah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We don't yet have foam arms for DZ in a road position. Yes it would be better, but our testing suggests that for frame design, the legs are the primary contributor to interaction effects for the frame.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [Livetotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the bike is fugly.

I also think this might be my first Cervelo. These bikes are so popular and there are so many annoying fanboys that they are easy for snobs (like me) to turn their nose up to. But I am continually amazed by the ability of Cervelo to make significant strides in design and am blown away in some cases by their pricing. The pricepoint on this bike is awesome. So while I may not like the way it looks, if the numbers they are throwing around are real... I pretty much don't care.
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The S3 advantage over the R3 has jumped from 4W to 13W without any change. I wonder if air is now densing up when it sees the R3 ahead...

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
JoeO wrote:
Ti T'war wrote:
I know I'm pretty biased, but that is, well, pretty ugly.

Agreed. I have tried hard to like Cervelo but I just can't. I know they're very good at making frames aerodynamic but but they also make some of the most god-awful ugly frames I've ever seen. If it weren't for the alternatives out there, I would think that ugly is a requirement for aerodynamics

I'm thinking THIS looks pretty darned beautiful to me:

Kinda like how Zipp marketing makes Zipp stuff look pretty and Trek marketing makes Trek stuff look pretty and Specialized marketing makes Specialized stuff look pretty... on and on...
\

Puh-leeze...there's a difference between data-driven marketing (like this) and emotion-driven marketing (like is done with many other brands) based on "looks"...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Canyon might have some major competition here for its Aeroad:

http://www.canyon.com/...kes/bike.html?b=2122

€3300 but with Chorus 11speed and Cosmic Carbone SL wheelset...

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
msuguy512 wrote:
except it doesn't match what they provided in their cul de tipping point presentation.

From everything I've seen, I've always thought that the difference was a bit "understated" in that presentation...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Puh-leeze...there's a difference between data-driven marketing (like this) and emotion-driven marketing (like is done with many other brands) based on "looks"...

So Trek's Speed-concept white paper was emotion-driven?
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
according to bikeradar they are also putting together a $3800 complete rival spec'ed package.

Du-ay-ummm...

$3800 retail for a complete "super" road bike? Game changer. I've been on Rival (W/ force cranks) for the last 2 years and have nothing but great things to say about the performance. Set up with a sealed cable system it is a set-and-forget groupo with a weight difference (from force) that could easily compensated for by leaving a couple of gels out of the jersey. Other than the bling factor, there is no compelling reason so upgrade. Cervelo continues to deliver superior technical solutions at a lower price than the competition. All of the marketing in the world won't save you if someone is better and has a lower price (ask the euro-designed bike companies). If they can keep the QA in line at these lower prices, the future is very bright.
Last edited by: goldentech: Jun 29, 11 8:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

So Trek's Speed-concept white paper was emotion-driven?

I was commenting more about the "on and on" portion of your statement than anything else...the data produced by Trek/Specialized/Zipp/etc. is just as pretty. You just have to make sure you're looking at it from the right "angle" ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msuguy512 wrote:
The S3 advantage over the R3 has jumped from 4W to 13W without any change. I wonder if air is now densing up when it sees the R3 ahead...

As I've told you before...my feeling is that the "Col" paper difference was understated...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the stack and reach the same on your S1 and the S5? If so it wouldn't be hard to do a field test with the same bars and we can see how big the difference really is.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msuguy512 wrote:
Is the stack and reach the same on your S1 and the S5? If so it wouldn't be hard to do a field test with the same bars and we can see how big the difference really is.

Nope. The S5 follows the R5 geometry, not the S1/S2/S3/R3 geometry...so it's slightly different.

It looks like I'd have to either run a 56 S5 with a -6deg, 130mm stem or a 58 with a -17deg, 110mm stem to match my current 58 Soloist with a -6deg, 110 stem...but changing stems isn't that big of a deal.

One thing tilting things in favor of my aluminum Soloist though is that I've got Simkins brakes on it front and back ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just as long as we agree that even Cervelo's white papers require their own "angle". ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
Just as long as we agree that even Cervelo's white papers require their own "angle". ;-)

Sure, but just like Zipp's data, it also tends to get reinforced in "outside" tests...so I tend to put a bit more "weight" on it ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I thought, it looks amazing in the smaller sizes. 51cm-54cm just look like rocketships.
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is exactly why companies hire engineers AND designers...engineers look at efficiency and designers look at asthetics and somewhere in the middle they make something that works that's not hideous. It's definitely aero but it certainly isn't their nicest looking creation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So yes but really no. Got it.
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! [chirobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chirobike wrote:
This is exactly why companies hire engineers AND designers...engineers look at efficiency and designers look at asthetics and somewhere in the middle they make something that works that's not hideous. It's definitely aero but it certainly isn't their nicest looking creation.

That's a great formula for something that might sell OK, but have middling performance and aesthetics...

When you try to be good at too many things at the same time, you usually end up average in all of them. Heck, a triathlete should be well aware of that ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! [chirobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chirobike wrote:
This is exactly why companies hire engineers AND designers..

SOME companies do that. Cervelo does not. McClaren did not when designing the F1. Bugatti did when designing the Veyron, which is why it needs 1,000 hp to go 250mph when the F1 would need only ~750

Cervelo is not FOR everybody.

it is for ME =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to get a new bike this year. Can I ask this question? What would be the difference between riding the S5 with clip-on aerobars versus riding a P2 or P3 for flat triathlon or hilly triathlon.
I like STI shifting better than shifting on the aerobars, but want a bike for triathlons.
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [goldentech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pricing seems inconsistent on their page.

The detail page for the S5 shows frameset at $3800, with complete bike at $4800+. But on the menu listing of all their bikes it says frameset $3000, full bike at $3800. Big difference, which is it? I'd suspect the former.

This paint scheme is NOT very gender neutral! :( Out for me (among other reasons).
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [Fastyellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are taking orders now through July, we should be seeing the bikes fairly soon. I cant wait to see one in the carbon, should be in store tomorrow!

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, I'll put another vote in for function over style.

Based on my history, I'll likely own one these in 2 or 3 years. I got a 2007 soloist in 2009, and a few weeks ago a 2008 slc-sl...so I'm always a little behind.

I just retired my 1997 cervelo eyre road bike a few weeks ago. I'm a cheap ass accountant that is willing to wait a bit...I like this bike a lot though!

Prev Next