Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This question was asked...by the 70.3 World Champion who rode a road bike to win that race.

The S5 is designed around a 73 degree seat tube angle. Again, Damon may chime in here when he is not traveling. Or some of the dealers may chime in as well. There is a 2 position post. The front position is designed to be ridden as a 73 degree bike. The rear position is set at 40mm of offset. So, definitely this is a road bike...not really a crossover bike between road and tri.

If you are good with shortie clip ons and a moderately forward road position...then yes, this bike will do it all. If you want a more forward road position or more rearward tri position, then you might have to see if there is anything else in the line that might work.

Aerodynamic-wise, the question was asked about how it compares to the P4. There was not a definitive answer given since a rider on the P4 set up properly is 'generally' going to be more aero than a rider set up on a road bike...even with shortie bars. But, when comparing this aero road bike to other aero or other road bikes, then I suspect you will be faster on it given the same position.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Can one bike do it all?

One bike to rule them all... as long as you bring enough watts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Can one bike do it all?

Absolutely.....

Road set-up

TT / Tri set-up

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's interesting to see that slowtwitch (generally a tri) forum is far more interested in the S5 (at least a lot more post/threads) than the road cyclist forums (weightweeneie, roadbikereview, etc.)

Anyways...since I'm a road racer, only viable option for me is the Cervelo S5 VWD version, if it's too expensive-- then off to the Veng and F01L for me
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [terminus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only reason that is the only viable one for you is that you haven't done the math on what 300 grams of weight will actually cost you in a crit or road race, vs, say, 90 grams of drag.

Do it, and you will have a wonderful AHA! moment.

I do bike race too by the way =)

terminus wrote:
Anyways...since I'm a road racer, only viable option for me is the Cervelo S5 VWD version

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Jun 29, 11 14:48
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FSA BB Right.
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:

No you don't....you're still a Cat. 5.

(sorry, couldn't resist....that was a slow curve ball over the middle of the plate. had to swing at it)

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man prepare to get totally pwned:

I am NOT a cat5 anymore!

Power13 wrote:
jackmott wrote:

No you don't....you're still a Cat. 5.

(sorry, couldn't resist....that was a slow curve ball over the middle of the plate. had to swing at it)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
The only reason that is the only viable one for you is that you haven't done the math on what 300 grams of weight will actually cost you in a crit or road race, vs, say, 90 grams of drag.

Do it, and you will have a wonderful AHA! moment.

terminus wrote:

Anyways...since I'm a road racer, only viable option for me is the Cervelo S5 VWD version

I currently ride an S-Works SL3 (800-870g depending on size and paint) , I'm more of a climber, though pretty good at sprinting...I've been in quite a lot of road races...and gonna say I'm willing to sacrifice some weight--for a lot of aero....but nothing like 500grams plus a lot less stiff!
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [Lou3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand the BB system, I was wondering about the cranks themselves. Are these cranks on the fsa website?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think Cervelo has made a bike where you are going to notice stiffness being lacking since the super prodigy.

Now, if you plan to gap the competition on 12%+ grades, if that is your primary race winning tactic, then I will support your overactive weight weenie concerns fully. =)

however it would be easier to maintain that gap with 90 grams less drag...

lol

terminus wrote:
I currently ride an S-Works SL3 (800-870g depending on size and paint) , I'm more of a climber, though pretty good at sprinting...I've been in quite a lot of road races...and gonna say I'm willing to sacrifice some weight--for a lot of aero....but nothing like 500grams plus a lot less stiff!

Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, that was what I was telling you, they are calling it the FSA BB Right crank. I've never seen it for sale, but it seems to have a similar profile to the FSA Team crank (on the Felt B2).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on completing the minimum number of races required to upgrade!!

Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [Lou3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, got it.

Any idea where I can find more pics and info about it?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not true again! I think I'm at 13, so 3 over the minimum!

and I've won some primes! ;)

Power13 wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I don't think Cervelo has made a bike where you are going to notice stiffness being lacking since the super prodigy.

Now, if you plan to gap the competition on 12%+ grades, if that is your primary race winning tactic, then I will support your overactive weight weenie concerns fully. =)

however it would be easier to maintain that gap with 90 grams less drag...

lol

terminus wrote:

where I think aero benefits come in to help is not the climb itself but helping me stay fresh until the climb. A lot of times in longer races with a final long climb my legs are already dead when I get to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I will bit. That question was also asked and answered...weight vs. aero.

Are you elite or sub elite?

I don't remember what the weight penalty had to be before it took over the aero advantage. I do remember the following.

If you are elite, weight can matter more when the grade exceeds 8%.

If you are not elite, weight can matter more when the grade exceeds 6%.

Otherwise, being more aero wins. I also do not think that you will 'sacrifice' that much stiffness on the S5, but I admittedly do not know how the various stiffness metrics are measured and how all of the bikes compare.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AAArg, except we have no idea if there really is 90 grams of drag vs the lighter, aero frames out there, until they are weighed and actually tested its all advertisement.

What we can be sure of is that in this instance you can have it all. The S5 white vs the S5 VDB (or whatever those letters were) have a 300 -400 gram difference in weight AND have the same aerodynamics. So the whole weight vs aero debate is moot.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another thing about stiffness - the smaller your frame size the less important that will be. All frames get more stiff as you size down. So a big guy on a size 61 is more likely to have stiffness problems than a small guy on a size 51.

-Tex wrote:
Otherwise, being more aero wins. I also do not think that you will 'sacrifice' that much stiffness on the S5, but I admittedly do not know how the various stiffness metrics are measured and how all of the bikes compare.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Not true again! I think I'm at 13, so 3 over the minimum!

and I've won some primes! ;)

Power13 wrote:

Oh....so you sand-bagged for 3 races? And primes are only there for people who can't finish strong.

Seriously, congrats on moving up. next step - Cat. 3's!!

Quote Reply
Re: The S5 is here! (Pics) [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just can't win today :)

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will assume, hopefully correctly, that you are replying to that part of my post for the benefit of your loyal followers or for the general knowledge of those on ST and not for my education?!

Sorry, but over 20 years of being a bike dork and having an engineering degree has provided me with at least a little bit of knowledge of bikes, sizes, etc. The stiffness argument always comes up when talking about bikes of various sizes and constructs. I would wager that the 'average' rider could not tell you the difference in stiffness in two identically kitted out carbon frames (or other material for that matter) if the ONLY difference was the carbon layup underneath the paint and components. But, it is a good metric for bike companies to use, however they test them, and it does provide a good argument for the sale of one frameset or bicycle over another.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by BMANX [ In reply to ]

Prev Next