Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, this thread is pretty good. I want to keep it going.

Q: I have heard anecdotally that Mark Allen could not bench press 95 pounds he was winning all those titles in Kona. Now that you are an IM Canada Champion, I have to ask: So watcha benchin'?

Q: I have followed your IM progess to the extent that I think this is your 4th (5th?) try at the distance. In your previous races I think you may have snagged at least one podium (and at least one 4th) and really have not had a "bad" race. Overally it seems like you have a pretty good track record. Care to comment on what they key to your consistency and overall good execution is?

Q: You say you are 6'3" and about 154. I am 6'2.5" about 158, so overall I would believe at least outwardly I would appear physically similar. My race resume is not quite as good as yours, although I have at times dominated in local sprint triathlons. Any tips for the rank amateur on how to be as fast as you are?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who coaches you and do you train with a group? congratulations!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Ale Martinez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jordan, congratulations for your impressive race and thank you very much for sharing!

My question: do you have an estimation of the relative intensity you run the marathon wrt your threshold pace or another benchmark intensity ?
I think a lot of it is what feels right. I had a plan for pace that I worked out with my coach. It's hard to say exactly that is was based of XYZ marker. I think at some point you just have run enough that you get a bit of a feel for what's possible in the scenario. Make sure you are getting your calories in. I don't do it as "X%" of a certain pace, though I'd wager it probably works out close to the same target pace for cycling 75% of FTP (which is usually somewhere between 5km - 10km pace) +/- 5% depending on skill and duration (e.g. if you are ~4 hours and finishing ~11 hours you are going to run relatively slower than someone running ~3 hours and finishing ~9hours).

You should not WANT to do the last 13miles, but you should feel ABLE. I guess that's sort of how I look at it. And really, if you can run a good last 10km, you've paced appropriately.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [hobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jordan,

Did you wear Nike Lunaracers on the marathon? Do you feel like they have enough stability and support (for someone who doesn't have perfect running biomechanics like me) at the longer HIM to IM distances?

I personally have a pair, and so far I've used them with success at my sprints and olympic distance races. I have my first half coming up (Augusta 70.3) and I'm wondering whether I should wear my lunaracers or my stability-oriented trainers. I run alright (38-39 min 10k at end of olympic) but I don't think I have the optimal foot strike or whatever.

great job at IMC
I wear Lunar Racers. They have pretty much no support. But I do 100% of my training in the Puma Complete Roadracer III or the Nike Katana Rac3r, both of which also have very little support. So for me, they are fine. I think they are a great Ironman shoe, but I'd likely steer folks to the Lunar Trainer or maybe the Glide. Basically, I think the really plush ride of the lunar foam is nice, but maybe a bit more supportive upper would be best for someone that isn't used to running in minimal shoes.

Give them a go in the half. I love them for half-ironman. I think they are fast for Ironman, but not the most comfortable thing. But for a half, they are awesome.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is bacon a PED**?
(** Pork Enhanced Deliciousness)

And do you think more triathletes should use this in the training and racing? Did you have any in your SN bags?

What was harder, winning IMC, or winning AmZof? Which feels/felt worse 2 days after?

How long have you been rocking the Specialized aero brain bucket? Why do you use that vs. whatever other options you may have in the past?
I think of special needs as "special." I don't view it as "intermediate fuel stop" needs. I.e., I don't like to plan on stopping at special needs, though I did on the bike this year.

I do think more triathletes should have more fat and protein (and less refined carbs) in their diets, especially for training. Fat and protein make long workouts much easier. I prefer to source those calories from bacon, but there are lots of options. Bacon is just the best one.

AmZof was harder, but I was much less prepared. But I literally could not walk for two days. I basically stayed in my room and wheeled around in my desk chair. I went up and down the stairs maybe three times in two days. It was bad. Really bad.

I got the Specialized TT02 before IMAZ last November. After one ride I knew it was the helmet for me from a comfort standpoint. Then John Cobb and I did our photo-wind-tunnel consult. "John, when you tested someone who looks similar to me in the tunnel, how did the Specialized do?" "It was very fast." There, done. Much cheaper than going to the windtunnel. I did some rough field testing, but it was nice to have John's input for the yaw angle testing. People aren't that different. If there is a guy whose position looks similar to mine that did well with the TT02, chances are I will as well. It's a really nice helmet, though I have a jonesing to get a TT03 (the short tail one).

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Okay, this thread is pretty good. I want to keep it going.

Q: I have heard anecdotally that Mark Allen could not bench press 95 pounds he was winning all those titles in Kona. Now that you are an IM Canada Champion, I have to ask: So watcha benchin'?

Q: I have followed your IM progess to the extent that I think this is your 4th (5th?) try at the distance. In your previous races I think you may have snagged at least one podium (and at least one 4th) and really have not had a "bad" race. Overally it seems like you have a pretty good track record. Care to comment on what they key to your consistency and overall good execution is?

Q: You say you are 6'3" and about 154. I am 6'2.5" about 158, so overall I would believe at least outwardly I would appear physically similar. My race resume is not quite as good as yours, although I have at times dominated in local sprint triathlons. Any tips for the rank amateur on how to be as fast as you are?
-- I could definitely bench 95. Multiple times. Easily. I will go to the gym tomorrow and give it a go. Based off past experience, I'd say I could throw up 135 for 5 reps. I think I could still rep my bodyweight once, which is really enough. I bang out pushups pretty regularly (at least until taper), so I would think that being able to 30 pushups without too much difficulty puts me in reasonable stead. I don't have a lot of "action going on upstairs" by any means. But I also like to think I could throw a stiff arm if I had to on the way to the finish.

-- 4th IM. 5th @ Canada 2007, 3rd @ AZ Apr 2008, 3rd @ AZ Nov 2008, and then this one. I think a huge part of my consistency is because I pace off a powermeter and because I have realistic expectations about what the numbers on that powermeter should show. I also think I put in good miles in training. I go in with a plan that I think is realistic because my training supports it, and then I stick to it. "Hope is not a strategy."

-- Pick good parents. Pick a good coach. Train hard. Eat bacon.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Who coaches you and do you train with a group? congratulations!
Michael Kruger from Denmark. He also coaches Rasmus Henning, Dirk Bockel, and was Torbjorn Sindballe's coach for many years as well. That is new this year though. For the previous four years, I was coached by Joel Filliol, but he was unable to continue coaching me when he took his current job as head coach for British Triathlon; Joel helped me find my new/current coach in January.

I had previously trained a lot with Joel's squad, the so-called "Team BAMF." But Team BAMF no longer exists in the way it once did. For the past few months, I've only trained on my own. But I do enjoy group training a lot as well. It just has to be with a certain kind of athlete. I am hoping to go over to Europe to train with my coach and several of his athletes next year. Group training is like anything else - a tool. It can bring out your best if you do it right. And it can be a lot of fun too. But it can also smash you to pieces if you aren't careful.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(1) How do you determine what your target pace is for an Ironman race. You mention that your targets are based on training, but can you be more specific. What is the testing protocol you use to determine the pace, both for the bike and the run.

(2) What is average cadence typically around?

(3) You mentioned that you train ~25 hours a week. If I remember correctly, you mentioned that were training ~30 hours before your first Ironman, even though you weren't specifically training for Ironman. Putting aside coach, if that is not the reason, why the change.

(4) You mentioned that you rode the IM course 3 times. I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that you bike that long more than just 3 times leading up to an Ironman. How many times and are those long rides all at Ironman pace.

(5) With respect to the 25 hours training week, and while you mentioned you didn't want to give too much away re your training because you felt it was your coach's intellectual property, can you give us a general breakdown of how many hours are swim, bike, run, respectively.

(6) You mention that you regularly do pushups. Do you do any other strength exercises? If so, what? Any weights? Any leg exercises.

(7) Can/will you have a faster bike split than Lance at next year's (or the year after) Kona?

Thanks. Well done and congratulations.
Last edited by: aerobike: Sep 2, 09 0:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Jordan, congratulations for your impressive race and thank you very much for sharing!

My question: do you have an estimation of the relative intensity you run the marathon wrt your threshold pace or another benchmark intensity ?
I think a lot of it is what feels right. I had a plan for pace that I worked out with my coach. It's hard to say exactly that is was based of XYZ marker. I think at some point you just have run enough that you get a bit of a feel for what's possible in the scenario. Make sure you are getting your calories in. I don't do it as "X%" of a certain pace, though I'd wager it probably works out close to the same target pace for cycling 75% of FTP (which is usually somewhere between 5km - 10km pace) +/- 5% depending on skill and duration (e.g. if you are ~4 hours and finishing ~11 hours you are going to run relatively slower than someone running ~3 hours and finishing ~9hours).

You should not WANT to do the last 13miles, but you should feel ABLE. I guess that's sort of how I look at it. And really, if you can run a good last 10km, you've paced appropriately.

Interesting comments, thanks!

My question was more oriented to the actual outcome related to your running fitness, IOW, what was your FT-Pace (or another run performance benchmark you like to use) leading to the race
to calculate the relative intensity, if you don't mind to share, off course.

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Last edited by: Ale Martinez: Sep 2, 09 7:30
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
(1) How do you determine what your target pace is for an Ironman race. You mention that your targets are based on training, but can you be more specific. What is the testing protocol you use to determine the pace, both for the bike and the run.

(2) What is average cadence typically around?

(3) You mentioned that you train ~25 hours a week. If I remember correctly, you mentioned that were training ~30 hours before your first Ironman, even though you weren't specifically training for Ironman. Putting aside coach, if that is not the reason, why the change.

(4) You mentioned that you rode the IM course 3 times. I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that you bike that long more than just 3 times leading up to an Ironman. How many times and are those long rides all at Ironman pace.

(5) With respect to the 25 hours training week, and while you mentioned you didn't want to give too much away re your training because you felt it was your coach's intellectual property, can you give us a general breakdown of how many hours are swim, bike, run, respectively.

(6) You mention that you regularly do pushups. Do you do any other strength exercises? If so, what? Any weights? Any leg exercises.

(7) Can/will you have a faster bike split than Lance at next year's (or the year after) Kona?

Thanks. Well done and congratulations.
1. For running, my coach has the most say, which is good because I'm quite inexperienced in the overall scheme of things. So there, it was just a matter of following his plan. On the bike, it's still his call, but I generally have more experience there, so I usually have a better sense of it. Roughly, I'd say both cases I'd go by ~75% of FTP, as defined in one the traditional cycling methods (though I don't usually do an hour TT, rather I do one of the derivative workouts. Plus after enough time riding you get a feel for where that marker is). For running, I'd say the same thing, using probably somewhere between 5km-10km pace, which are easy to convert between since for most athletes it's usually 5km x 2 + 30sec = 10km. 80% has been defined as the upper limit. I go with 75% just because I think it's more reasonable and also gives you a better margin for error. I.e., my 75% might actually be 78 or 79% if I'm off by a bit on my numbers. But I know that is ok, whereas if I targeted 80%, I don't really give myself much room for error. But a huge amount of that is still feel. When you train a lot, you (hopefully) get to know your body.

2. My rule of thumb is that if my cadence drops below 80, I shift up. And it if goes above 90, I shift down. My race cadence is about 82-88 comfortably, though I think it tends to average a bit on the lower side of 85. It's mostly that I don't want to ride slower than 80 or faster than 90, so what feels right within that on the day and with the cassette I have on the back is what I use. I.e., with an 11-25 you have different gearing choices than with 11-23 vs. 11-21, etc. And 11-21 is the best for keeping your cadence right on, but it's also not practical for a course like IMC.

3. It was closer to 25 vs. 28. New coach is the reason.

4 & 5. Yes, I did more long rides than just the three. For breakdown, it really depends on the week. It actually changes a lot in terms of percentage. At any given time, I would say that any of the three sports could take up 50% of my training time for the week.

6. I do some other strength exercises. I have a short functional movement workout from a very good trainer that I usually do once or twice per week. The exercises are specific to problems/weaknesses that I have/had - like weak scapular stabilizers. I listed the three that I think are most useful in my reply to Barry P's "10minute weight workout" -- overhead squat, pushup, cable crossover. I do some stuff on the swiss ball sometimes too.

7. It will depend on how Lance chooses to race (and train) for Kona. It might also depend on what bike I was riding at the time... ;)

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Ale Martinez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Interesting comments, thanks!

My question was more oriented to the actual outcome related to your running fitness, IOW, what was your FT-Pace (or another run performance benchmark you like to use) leading to the race
to calculate the relative intensity, if you don't mind to share, off course.
Haven't done an FTP run workout in a while (thankfully). But it's probably somewhere around 3:12/km (i.e. = 16min 5km).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your race.

Have you tried any of the Genki Foods Grains or GOLD that we gave to Jill? It would be interesting to hear what you have to say after you have had the chance to spend some time on our website.

Thanks,

Dave Ramsay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,
An amazing experience throughout, my wife took more photos of you racing than me!
The nutrition talk you gave at the wheat grass cafe made everything so easy to understand and you should think about coaching in the distant future, you captivated that audience and I for one tried some of your advice and it worked a treat! Not sure about the almond milk though ha ha !! The information about electrolytes etc was invaluable!! good stuff!!!
Congratulations!! and I was buzzing when I seen you on the run into town, excellent speech at the awards too!!

istar

"Keep low.... move fast.... drive on!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all congrats ... great win.

Do you have the power info already ? ( I don't know if you are planning to share that, and I will understand if you decide not to share. There are plenty of reasons ... ) .

Luiz Eng
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I heard you interview Tereza Macel & Belinda Granger after their one-two finish.

Later I was catching finishers from 7:30 to midnight and was wondering who Steve Kings sidekick was in the announcing booth. Was that you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Haven't done an FTP run workout in a while (thankfully). But it's probably somewhere around 3:12/km (i.e. = 16min 5km).

Then the 2:55:32 (4:10/km) would represent 77% FTP, nice :-)

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Rappstar-

Awesome race!!! This is such a great thread. You mentioned you did a lot of short course type training last year. What are your thoughts about how that type of training affected you this year?

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Reparto Corse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I thought I heard you interview Tereza Macel & Belinda Granger after their one-two finish.

Later I was catching finishers from 7:30 to midnight and was wondering who Steve Kings sidekick was in the announcing booth. Was that you?
It wasn't me. There is no way I could have climbed that tower!

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Leng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
First of all congrats ... great win.

Do you have the power info already ? ( I don't know if you are planning to share that, and I will understand if you decide not to share. There are plenty of reasons ... ) .
Chris Whyte - lakerfan - did the once over the powerfile for me. I hate not having WKO+ on my Mac, but I'm learning to use RaceDay.

Basically, through approximately the top of Yellow Lake I was ~264 Pavg and 268 Pxpow (which is race day. it's pretty close - usually - to Pnorm).

Other than that, here is what Chris wrote off what I sent him:

Here's what I saw:

flats -- 260 - 280w. You went out more around 280w but were consistently sitting around 260w everywhere else execpt the last 3 or so of miles where you clearly cranked it back a bit (~230w).
Hills -- Anything that was long was mostly done around 300 - 310w but steep hills (McClean) and the short steep rollers you were as high as 350 - 360w.

Just a solid steady ride. No surprise but it's almost exactly what I thought I'd see. I guess the one thing I was interested to know is if your power fell off at all in the 2nd half. It really didn't other than the obvious places where it should fall off (eg last 3 miles). Yeah, you also rode to McClean pretty strong, relatively speaking, but not a big deal.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Spindogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey Rappstar-

Awesome race!!! This is such a great thread. You mentioned you did a lot of short course type training last year. What are your thoughts about how that type of training affected you this year?
It was good I think. My training has been different, but not crazy different. Ultimately, the body craves change. You have to force adaptation. My training throughout the year has been different, but it's also been very similar, which is not surprising. It's like Will Ronco (MuffinTop) is fond of joking about Paulo, that he (Will) is on the "get fit" plan. There are many ways to get fit, with common elements to all the good ones. Brett Sutton puts it the best, I think, since everyone is always looking for his "secret." He says (paraphrasing), "there is no magic workout." I didn't benefit from doing short course training. I benefited from training with a group of the best athletes in the world under the guidance of one of the best coaches in the world. We had a very, very, very high standard for excellence that I carried with me to training on my own. THAT is what affected me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Rappstar, nice racing! I can't think of any good questions at the moment that haven't already been asked, but I very much appreciate your time and insights so far.

Your talk last Wednesday was helpful too. There was time to try out some of your ideas before the race and the one's I adopted for race day seemed to work out all right. Thanks. I took notes as well so in time I may get a bit more mileage out of some of the other suggestions too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you attach the spare tubular + miscellaneous to your seat?

Velcro strap or electrical tape? Any chance on a picture of it?

Matt Amman
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [chiro18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heavy gauge Ziploc bag hold "emergency supplies." Electrical tape it to the seat. Make sure to carry a small spare roll of tape INSIDE the bag in case you need to reattach it. I'll take some pics.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar, a techie question for your engineering mind:

I notice from the race photos and your replies so far that you used only two water bottles: one standard round between the aerobars and one Arundel on the seat tube.

My question is regarding the Arundel on the seat tube. I've had this same question ever since Chris Lieto did Kona a few years ago with the Bontrager aero bottles on both the downtube and seat tube. Weren't these aero bottles designed for aerodynamics going "forward", as in, facing forward when hung on the downtube?

We've all read how a standard round bottle on the down tube is actually more aero than no bottle there at all. But when an aero designed bottle is hung on the seat tube isn't it actually facing "backwards".

With only a rudimentary understanding of fluid dynamics or aero-ness, I would not assume that a boat or an airplane would pull through their mediums equally well both forwards and backwards. Would an aero bottle be equally effective pulling through the air forwards or backwards?

Do you see where I'm going with this? Or, is the Arundel bottle a compromised happy medium of aero-ness when facing either forward on the downtube or backwards on the seat tube?

I figure if ANYONE has considered this intelligently and with any authority--it's you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for posting the wattage numbers.
The last time that I got numbers from you was Arizona, Spring race I believe and at that time you estimated your FTP to be around 380 - 385 watts, giving you an I.F. that race of .74.
Would you estimate that your FTP going into Canada was similar?

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply

Prev Next