Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [homey130] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
you mentioned earlier that you took gatorade and pepsi on the run at every aid station.... is that right? How do you judge fluid intake as you progress through the run? Do you take anything with you or at special needs?

Thanks for the thread - i saw you finish live and am incredibly impressed. Well done.
Yes. That's right. I guess generally I just go off how my stomach feels. But at the same time, I think that nutrition dictates pace, not vice versa. I.e., if I couldn't take that in at every aid station (as in I got bloated, for example), I'd say I was running too fast.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was not. I am not sure what role CCES (Canadian Council for Ethics in Sport) chooses or does not choose to play in the race. We were told that CCES could test us - and had to sign that we agreed to be tested by them - but there was not testing at the finish line.

JR

Interesting. No blame here , but IM races and the athletes who focus exclusivly on them fall into a bit of a gray area both with their National Governing body as well as at the races and events themselves. In Canada, you can race only IM races, place and win money, and never get tested and never be part of TriCan/CCES out of competition testing and it's been that way for years. Not saying anything, but that is a big gray area and a wide open barn door!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [gmueller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What did a "normal" week look like for you in preperation for IMC. What was your longest brick? Thanks, G
I generally don't share too much about the specifics on my training, since technically my training is the intellectual property of my coach. If I coached myself, I would gladly share any of that information, but I don't. I just feel that I would be sharing something that is not technically mine in this case. I hope that makes sense.

Each week ended up being pretty close to 25 hours. I focused mostly on biking and running, with swimming taking a backseat as compared to my more general training.

I'm happy to answer questions about training, but I just don't feel that it's appropriate for an athlete with a coach to say "these are the workouts I did."

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. That's right. I guess generally I just go off how my stomach feels. But at the same time, I think that nutrition dictates pace, not vice versa. I.e., if I couldn't take that in at every aid station (as in I got bloated, for example), I'd say I was running too fast.

JR

Very true. I think this is what dooms a lot of people. They have a plan. Things start to get off the rails, but they stick to the plan and then they are really done. Successful IM racing is about planning and execution, but it's also almost equallly about knowing when to go from plan A to Plan B and even onto plan C. It's a rare IM race that goes 100% to plan. Often times the PlanB and even Plan C races can yeild successful results - key is knowing when to shift plans and move on!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. Thanks, G

Greg Mueller
Level 2 Triathlon Coach
Level 3 Cycling Coach
level 1 Running Coach
Head Coach Innovativeendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not gluten intolerant, but I feel better if I do not eat gluten. Rather, I have not been diagnosed as being intolerant of gluten, but I feel better when I don't have it. I don't need a doctor to tell me what I figured out for myself.

Congrats again on a great race Jordan! When friends ask me about my 165mm cranks on my tri bike I can now reply, "The IMC champ recommended giving them a shot...no big deal." HAHA :-)

Anyway, with regards to the gluten issues, how/when did you figure out the difference in how you felt when consuming gluten vs. when avoiding it? What made you decide to try avoiding it in the first place?

I have done some reading on the subject, and many nutritionists are hypothesizing that people's "gluten issues" become sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. The hear about others avoiding it, so they avoid it. Then, because they rarely ever do consume it, when they do, their body isn't used to it so they have issues. Also, sort of a reverse placebo effect kicks in when they consume gluten, they start thinking, "Uh oh, I consumed gluten, I am probably going to feel sick" and then sure enough they do feel sick.

Further, it seems that rates of gluten intolerance are skyrocketing, both physician and self-diagnosed cases, and some wonder if this is sort of a result of being in the era immediately following the "carbs are bad" craze in the U.S.. Huge numbers of people avoided carbs, and now, not suprisingly, huge numbers or people are claiming to have gluten issues.

Anyway, I was just curious to get your history/opinions as I try to solve some of my own stomach riddles.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just eyeballing your daily food intake, it seems that it's pretty low in calories for your amount of training.
What is your daily caloric intake and how much care do you take to get a certain caloric target?
Also, how stable has your bodyweight been over the last year?

Note: not talking about diet pertaining to race-day or race-prep, but overall training.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am not gluten intolerant, but I feel better if I do not eat gluten. Rather, I have not been diagnosed as being intolerant of gluten, but I feel better when I don't have it. I don't need a doctor to tell me what I figured out for myself.

Congrats again on a great race Jordan! When friends ask me about my 165mm cranks on my tri bike I can now reply, "The IMC champ recommended giving them a shot...no big deal." HAHA :-)

Anyway, with regards to the gluten issues, how/when did you figure out the difference in how you felt when consuming gluten vs. when avoiding it? What made you decide to try avoiding it in the first place?

I have done some reading on the subject, and many nutritionists are hypothesizing that people's "gluten issues" become sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. The hear about others avoiding it, so they avoid it. Then, because they rarely ever do consume it, when they do, their body isn't used to it so they have issues. Also, sort of a reverse placebo effect kicks in when they consume gluten, they start thinking, "Uh oh, I consumed gluten, I am probably going to feel sick" and then sure enough they do feel sick.

Further, it seems that rates of gluten intolerance are skyrocketing, both physician and self-diagnosed cases, and some wonder if this is sort of a result of being in the era immediately following the "carbs are bad" craze in the U.S.. Huge numbers of people avoided carbs, and now, not suprisingly, huge numbers or people are claiming to have gluten issues.

Anyway, I was just curious to get your history/opinions as I try to solve some of my own stomach riddles.
It was Jill's recommendation. Without getting too graphic, I will say that I feel like I am generally less bloated through my lower abdominals. I am not "fat," but i used to have a bit of a "pooch" as if I had eaten a bit much all the time. Once I cut gluten out, that went way down. I also notice a difference when I use the toilet first thing in the morning. One big thing is that it smells relatively neutral, whereas when I ate a lot of regular bread, it smelled quite bad often. I also will say that EVERY time I used to go for a long run, I had to use the toilet. Sometimes with great emergency. But since eliminating it, I now would say it's normal that I *don't* have to go #2 during a long run, as opposed to having it be normal that I would. That was really the biggest marker for me. Because that was a recent change and really the ONLY change was no gluten. I.e., as soon as I eliminated gluten, I stopped having to use the toilet regularly during run workouts.

I'm also not surprised to see gluten intolerance rates skyrocketing. People are realizing that you don't need filler in everything. They are realizing that having bloating, etc. I have very little respect for the food industry. I'm reminded of the new thing now with the "concentrated" laundry detergents. Basically, they advertise that you get the same cleaning power out of a bottle 1/3 the size. Of course you do, because all you did to make the bigger size was add WATER to the detergent. It's kind of like, "we were totally fleecing you and making huge amounts of unnecessary trash, and now we will ADVERTISE the fact that we were basically selling you water by pointing out that we aren't anymore." I love that there are now ads for high-fructose corn syrup. It's a sign that people are paying attention to what they eat.

The web is certainly a mixed blessing. My sister and her husband are both doctors. There are a ton of people who are convinced they have something like Dengue Fever because they read about it on WebMD when all they have is a common cold. BUT, at the same time, people are also asking their doctors tougher questions and thinking more about what it says on the box they buy in the supermarket.

The main thing is really an issue of volume of calories. Bread is not bad for you. But I need a lot of fuel to train. And I need food that is easy and simple and consistent. So I eat a LOT of bread, because a sandwich is an easy way to get good calories and carbs for training. But that also meant that I ate a LOT of gluten, because I eat the same thing for lunch most days, because it's easy to have a loaf of bread and some jam and some nut butter around. The difference for me between a PBJ on "regular" bread and an Almond butter and jelly sandwich on rice bread - in terms of how I feel training afterwards - is remarkable.

Carbs aren't "bad for you." But the old FDA food pyramid - with like 8-10 servings of grains per day - was absurd. But that's how people eat. Sandwiches. Pasta. Pizza. Wheat-based cereal. A candy bar with a "cookie" type ingredient in it. It's likely that most people have gluten EVERY time they eat. That is too much. It would be too much regardless of what it was. If people ate as much quinoa as they currently ate wheat, they'd probably be in really bad shape from that as well.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: wheat and gluten. Jordan pretty much nailed it. Wheat 5+ times a day is what most folks eat. I suspect, and could be very wrong, that the majority of nutritionists pretty much adhere to the USDA food pyramid. That's why they see it as self-fullfilling when people 'say' they feel better off of wheat/gluten. We cut out wheat for the most part this year, and it certainly hasn't hurt. And, we've seen some of the same changes as Jordan. If you want less respect for the food industry, go see Food Inc. It is a very good documentary that is well done and tries to look at 'both' sides. A little bit of a tangent, sorry.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just eyeballing your daily food intake, it seems that it's pretty low in calories for your amount of training.
What is your daily caloric intake and how much care do you take to get a certain caloric target?
Also, how stable has your bodyweight been over the last year?

Note: not talking about diet pertaining to race-day or race-prep, but overall training.
I don't count calories. I eat a LOT of fat (bacon!). I eat real food. I cook from scratch every night. My bodyweight fluctuates about 5lbs. per year. At my lightest - for Ironman - I'm ~70kg. At my heaviest I'm about 72kg.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a really interesting discussion and one I'd love to continue privately, both for the sake of not hijacking this thread, as well as for the purpose of not having graphic digestional discussions in the public forum.

I am sure you are swamped with emails and commitments, but would you mind if I bounced a couple PMs off of you, with you of course just replying to them when you had time. This is definitely a long-term, lifestyle discussion that doesn't need urgent attention but I'd love to get your ideas on my diet, which still leaves me with some "digestive frustrations" let's just say, despite my best efforts. Thanks, as always.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How was the transition bag hand off in T2? Did I have it held out far enough? Too high? Too low? ;-)

Volunteering in T2 was cool, but getting assigned to be in charge of bags 1-50 (and thus being responsible for not f%#^ing up any of the pro's races) was even cooler. And the absolute coolest part, for me, was when our spotter yelled "first athlete coming in, Number 10" and I thought "number 10, number 10, hmmmm...wait, that is Jordan - Oh Hell Yeah!". Congratulations on a great race.

And now that I am done basking in having been there - my real question. What aspect of that bike course do you think most catches people unprepared? Obviously you have to be prepared for some long sustained climbs, but I am sure there are other more nuanced aspects that you have to have raced the course a few times and trained on it consistently to appreciate. I got all signed up on Monday morning and now have only 363 days to get ready.

Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [j-hud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The hardest stretch is from the END of the Richter to the START of Yellow Lake (basically, once you enter the Similkameen Valley until you start to leave it). That's where the race is really decided, whatever that means for you.

PS: the bag handoff was PERFECT. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of ratio of road bike vs. tri bike did you ride in your training?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best thread ever.... Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats from a fellow Vega ambassador. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Your observations about nutrition (gluten) mirror my own experience. No wheat no bloating.

For those looking to add an easily digestible, nutrition packed meal try Vega Whole Food Optimizer. It is amazing stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [L-1011] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What kind of ratio of road bike vs. tri bike did you ride in your training?
Usually about 50/50. It would depend on the workout. Basically, I would look at what approximate wattage I expected to hold for the workout (or the key portion of the workout if there was one), and then decide. Basically, below a certain level, I would ride a road bike. Above, tri bike. Essentially, my rule of thumb is "easy rides = road bike, hard rides = tribikes." Compared with when I trained for Wildflower, and for logistical reasons had ONLY my tribike, I was much more comfortable. Riding a tribike easy stinks.

The thing to remember is that riding a road bike in your normal "hands on the hoods" position is MORE similar to your "in the aerobars" position on a tribike than riding your tribike on the hoods is. Basically, if you aren't going to be in the aerobars for most of the ride, don't ride a tribike. And below a certain wattage level, riding a tribike in the aerobars is just not comfortable for me.

Really as long as I ride my tribike once a week, I think that's fine. Levi Leipheimer says that he rides his TT bike once or twice a week in season, and he said that he thought that was typical of most top time trialists. So I figure that what works for them probably will work for me.

Overall, I don't set a rule about how much I will ride either one. The 50/50 ratio came from two things -- 1) knowing I needed to be on my tribike at least once a week and 2) the intensity as prescribed by my coach. He let me make the judgment call about when I felt I would be better off on a road bike and when I needed to ride my TT bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,
Congratulations on an impressive and well-deserved win!

I echo the many thanks for taking the time to answer all of our questions on this forum. I'm sure you have many demands on your time, and I certainly appreciate all the pearls of wisdom you are sharing with us. This information will undoubtedly help many others have better races as a result!

You are certainly an example of an ambassador of the sport! I'm looking forward to hearing about your future successes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jordan, thanks for answering all these questions. I think you said something in another thread about wearing a padded brief under your Kiwami Amphibian. Did that happen in this past race? If so, would you mind sharing the make/model? Is this your standard practice no matter the distance? Also, what EFS flavor do you mix with Crisp Apple Clif Shot? Why mix, just the caffeine?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [MVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi Jordan, thanks for answering all these questions. I think you said something in another thread about wearing a padded brief under your Kiwami Amphibian. Did that happen in this past race? If so, would you mind sharing the make/model? Is this your standard practice no matter the distance? Also, what EFS flavor do you mix with Crisp Apple Clif Shot? Why mix, just the caffeine?
Yes, I wear one for all races, regardless of distance. It just seems to work. I used to get really bad chafing during races. This has fixed it. I use a no-longer-available Orca Race (that was the designation at the time, they had Elite // Race // and then Sport, I think). Anyway, this is from the "race" series and it's about 3 years old now. I only use it for racing. BUT, I am working with Kiwami to make a new version of a padded brief, so hopefully we'll have that for spring 2010.

I use EFS Grape, but all the FE athletes just got done testing three new prototypes of EFS, and I quite liked the two new flavors I tried, but Grape is still my favorite, especially with the Apple ClifShot for racing. I mix for the caffeine but also because my own admittedly loose interpretation of Jeunkendrup's research on sugars basically seems to indicate that a more varied CHO profile is oxidized faster//more efficiently. I.e., it's better to have a variety of fuel sources. The guys at FE are great to work with, so I am always trying new combinations of stuff - like mixing in other drinks, other flavors, etc. to see if I can find something I think is an improvement or unique or tasty or whatever. I guess I'm just a tinkerer. Mostly it's the caffeine, as for whatever reason, the ClifShot just seems to deliver it in a very palatable form that also doesn't upset my stomach.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan, congratulations for your impressive race and thank you very much for sharing!

My question: do you have an estimation of the relative intensity you run the marathon wrt your threshold pace or another benchmark intensity ?

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,

Did you wear Nike Lunaracers on the marathon? Do you feel like they have enough stability and support (for someone who doesn't have perfect running biomechanics like me) at the longer HIM to IM distances?

I personally have a pair, and so far I've used them with success at my sprints and olympic distance races. I have my first half coming up (Augusta 70.3) and I'm wondering whether I should wear my lunaracers or my stability-oriented trainers. I run alright (38-39 min 10k at end of olympic) but I don't think I have the optimal foot strike or whatever.

great job at IMC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race Jordan, and thanks for answering some questions here -- definitely an interesting read. You looked great out there! And I had fun checking you and your bike out of transition afterwards :)

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is bacon a PED**?
(** Pork Enhanced Deliciousness)

And do you think more triathletes should use this in the training and racing? Did you have any in your SN bags?

What was harder, winning IMC, or winning AmZof? Which feels/felt worse 2 days after?

How long have you been rocking the Specialized aero brain bucket? Why do you use that vs. whatever other options you may have in the past?

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jordan, Interesting discussion about gluten. Every time I go on a business trip to China or Japan, I eat zero wheat and I always seem to lose weight in a period of 10-14 days off LESS EXERCISE than my normal routine.

Diet is a lot of meat, fish, eggs, vegetables and rice. Then again, I am constantly on the go between trains, taxis, customer locations and airports. Rarely sitting around for an entire day in an office like back home and I have less access to snacks....so there are many reasons, why I might lose weight on a business trip in Asia, but you got my mind thinking about my non wheat diet of Chinese and Japanese food when in Asia....

Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next