Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race
Quote | Reply
I have posted my race report to our Team-Marsh blog, and you can read it here.

I posted a reply in Jordan's thread, and he thought that I might also have at least a little something of value to offer anyone who chooses to post here. Dirk Bockel did one after his Kona finish, and while a 5th place finish at Ironman Texas isn't a 1st at Ironman Texas or a 4th in Kona, I'll open myself up to questions in a similar vein. 5th place was my 'best' finish in a North American Ironman by a bit, and I am pretty sure that I can still do better.

If you have nutrition type questions, you can find some of them here on the First Endurance site.

I don't mind answering general questions about training/workouts/preparation. I'm not searching for compliments or people telling me how much I like to talk to about myself, though maybe there will be both here. I don't expect 7 pages of questions and answers. I'm generally not quite as verbose as Jordan, especially on forums, and when talking it just 'seems' like I talk for a long time because I'm simply a slow talker.

Ask away.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a question for you. You guys had a fairly small group that broke away in the swim, but a typical lead group for a small ironman field. I remember doing a couple swims with you when i was there last year, seems to me you were around 5;25 or so shape for a 500 then??

My question is have you gotten faster in the pool and by how much if so. IF you were to do a set of 20X100@ 1;15, what pace could you hold? Any feel for what you all out 500 might be at the moment?? And do you know any of the others that were in your groups swim times? Just trying to get a figure on how wide the abilities on the lead group are these days.

Nice race by the way, solid all the way through. SHould be a nice stepping stone race to better and faster things to com..
Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandon..exceptional race!! I was out at aid station 3 and was simply in awe of all you guys flying through the aid station each time around looking like yall are not even hurting!! So....on a scale from 1-10..1 being low, 10 high...how much were you really hurting in the run? Did the heat play any roll in the outcome of your race? What was your favorite part of course or worst? How would you rate the race overall compared to others? Also...will you return next year to give it another go!

Odd ball question...what do you normally chow down for post race "celebratory" meal. Anything that looks good or do you specifically hunt something down to eat?

Congrats again on your outstanding performance!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brandon, great race. Do feel like you've left no aero stone unturned? What will you change in your training in the future?

thanks,
Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here's my question. i've noticed that athlete couples rarely survive with both training/racing at a high level. one debases his/her training to support the other. which often eventually causes some heartburn, whether the debasing partner admits it or not.

have you noticed this? and if so, have you noticed the anomaly you two represent? and how do you navigate that? i think a lot of other couples in your position could benefit from your wisdom, whether pro or AG.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have become more 'fit' than when you were here. If I were swimming 20x100x1:15 yards, I could hold 1:05s or better kind of as an effort above a 'cruise' which would probably be 1:08s or so on that set. I've done a few main sets that were on the 1:10 base for yards with Longhorn Masters like 3x150 1:45, 3x100 1:10, 3x50 0:35 for the first set and then 3x150 1:40, 3x100 1:05, 3x50 0:35 that were good indicator sets that I was pretty fit.

Generally though I have only been swimming Masters 1-2x a week. I could probably make 20x100x1:15 short course meters rolling in on the 1;12 or so, but I do not think that I could comfortably make that set Long Course.

I think that I tend to underestimate my 500 TT off the blocks time as i would say I'm in 5:05-5:10 shape. That's because it takes a LOT to get under 5 minutes when tri training. If I focused on swimming more and rested, etc, then I think that I could sneak under 5 minutes.

JoeU has admitted that he is a better open water than pool swimmer and that Hunter, etc. routinely smack him in the pool. Mathias is definitely a better open water swimmer. I don't know about Rasmus and Balaz other than they are typical front pack, but not off the front swimmers.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You went by me going up the bridge on your third loop of the run (my first) and I swear you weren't even touching the ground. Very impressive.

If I have to ask a question, how'd you like racing an IM in your home state? Did you have a good contingent of family and friends out there on Saturday?

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [IUScott99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the run on a scale of 1-10 it's about a 7 for the first couple of loops, and then depending on how you've managed things it moves up to 8 or escalates quickly to higher than that. But, it's not the arms getting numb kind of hurt that a 1600m for time would be. So, for me it was crusing at 7, then pretty quickly to 8 or 9 on lap 3 and then a complete suffer fest the last 3-4 miles.

Heat didn't play much of a role other than me not taking in enough fluids early in the run.

Favorite part of the course was the bike and the run through the canal area. Worst was the run though the new home construction and the little grass out and back and hill that were added just make it accurate.

Compared to others, I thought it was a great race and well done. Clearly the swim leaves a bit to be desired in terms to width, a TT or different wave start might suit the large AG field a little better.

Post race that day was pizza, then the next evening it was a burger, wings, and fries. Not it's back to normal.

Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure I can make a few improvements. I try to approach it from a do everything I can and keep things pretty clean, but not at the cost of losing some simplicity when it comes to IM racing. So, I can and likely will lose a bottle and bento box for the next one. My position has always seemed to be a bit 'slow' with watts/speed, but I think that I'm getting closer. That and trading in my P3 for a P5 hopefully!

Added:
- Wheels were 2011 Jet6 front and JetDisc rear
- Tires were Conti 4000S 23s with Latex tubes, and a very slowly leaking rear tire
- Rudy helmet
- P3 frameset with horizontal front bottle, downtube bottle, and single behind the seat bottle
- I picked up special needs
- I am going to update my fit coordinates soon

Generally I think that a lot of athletes over analyze some small things without taking care of the big things. Fast tires and wheels help, but a loose jersey kills you as does a lot of sitting up.

Last edited by: -BrandonMarshTX: May 24, 12 8:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, congratulations. I watched a lot of the race and was happy to see you do so well. That's a fast time!

As for questions - I second Dan's query. Also, on a somewhat-similar note, I'm curious what your take is on fitting high-level sport in to an otherwise balanced life. The current front page interview with Craig Evans was a great one, and I think it's a good eye opener for a lot of folks. You and I spoke on the phone near the end of my tenure with SRAM, and I recall being impressed with how level-headed you were, and willing to work for it. In a sense, I'm always somewhat baffled by the guys who almost seem "too smart" to pursue this shaky career we call professional triathlon. I guess I'm saying - kudos to you, and please shed some light on it if you don't mind.

Lastly, what are your best three pieces of training advice to give to the aspiring age grouper. My perception is that a lot of folks assume it takes a *ton* of training hours to go fast.... but clearly there are pro's who work part or full time and go very, very fast (and don't necessarily put a lot of hours in... just high quality hours when their body is ready for it). What say you?

Greg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:

. . . I might also have at least a little something of value to offer . . . while a 5th place finish at Ironman Texas isn't a 1st

dude, even if you were the 6th overal AGer, you'd still have something of value to share. that's a fine performance.

questions and thoughts below:
Jordan thought he could win. he built his race around that. what did you expect, how does that drive your decision points (when to go, when to hold back, do you chase athlete X, pass him, pace off him, etc)?

did you have people you thought you could beat? ("i'm going to stick to X and then pass him." etc)

what's next? will you go to Kona if the points are there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No question--just a hearty well done to you and Amy from an athlete you once coached. The misses whom you also once coached says well done, too. See you at CapTex or BSLT?

Scrubbie
Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan, very good question. Whether it is intentional or not and whether one/both of the halves in a couple admit it, it happens. We have tended to have a pretty balanced approach. I started out coaching Amy, and was self coached myself. That proved to work well for a few years, but at the same time strained things a bit. If I look at the Bennetts as an example as well it seems that at times they have both been hitting on all cylinders and then at other times they seem to alternate.

The last 2 years for us became a definite challenge in these terms, and that is the main reason at the end of 2011, we made some changes. Some of it was the travel and racing schedule, but some of it honestly was the success that she was seeing and the mediocre results I was seeing. Amy was having a great run of things, and I was suffering. At the beginning of 2011 when Amy was still having good results, but not really enjoying things it was even tougher on both of us. At the end of 2011, it was even worse, almost to the point of Amy not really wanting to continue with triathlon. For me, I've been in the sport since 89 and honestly did not set out with the goal of being a professional, so it is a bit 'easier' for me to accept the results because I was still enjoying it, but wasn't satisfied with the results.

Fast forward to now, and things are back on track and headed the right direction. To navigate it, it has definitely taken a few things, and I'll do bullet points...
- more than 1 or 2 frank discussions and a good bit of open honestly. That sounds touchy feely, but it is pretty necessary.
- If it is a couple that is racing, it helps to have a pretty good outline of the separate and joint goals that both of them have. We have an idea of how much longer we want to race, but at the same time, we don't want to put a hard timeline on it.
- We enjoy training and racing together. IM races when training/racing together can be a bit of a challenge since the training load and tiredness seem to hit at the same time. So, picking different 'A' races may be a good idea. Picking different races to train for, but travel to the races together when that makes sense. it is definitely more enjoyable when both are at races.
- One thing that helped us, and helped me more, was hiring a coach that matched up with my personality. If I could take my mind out of the training aspect of things, then it better allowed me to either coach Amy or tend to the other things that we had to do without sacrificing my workouts. We both know what needs to get done workout and life wise, so having the accountability to each other and a coach has really helped.

Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, best overall performance so far. What is next?

I don't know in racing terms. I am putting up three scenarios. 1 go to Kona since it will be a cool year to go and since I would like to race it as a pro. 2 focus on finding an IM to have a better race and race for the win. 3 pick a few races that might let me make a bit more $$ (Rev series) and do a late season WTC race with 2013 Kona as a goal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Brandon for you swim fitness inside look, now how did the actual race actually go? Did you find yourself at the front at any time, and if so when and how much? At what point did the starting supersprint settle down into the usual cruise control, or was it balls to the wall to the finish?
Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to do this race last year, but I was injured most of April and all of May.

No family outside of Amy, oddly enough. I actually told my parents not to come since my mom's travel schedule has been so crazy! And, in reality, an IM is something that is miserable to spectate though The Woodlands is a pretty good place for it as far as the swim and run go!

Friends. Yes, there were a LOT of people from Austin there. And, having grown up and started racing in the Houston area, there were a LOT of people who have known me for 20 or so years that were there. I hadn't seen some of them in almost that many years, TJ Fry for example (hasn't changed a bit!!), but it was great to hear my name and the cheers. So thanks.

I'll get to the other Qs in a bit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good race and thanks for sharing the insight on the dynamic relative to Slowman's question too! This is also useful for me to hear your views as in my group, I have a few husband and wife age grouper combos where they manage tri training, careers and kids. Generally they alternate years or times of year where one focuses more on triathlon than the other.

A few questions

• You mentioned starting in 89.....so how many more years do you WANT to race at this level?
  • Houston humidity....is this your preferred type of racing environment, or do you prefer drier conditions?
  • What is your childhood athletic background?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny you mentioned TJ. Did you see him in the hula skirt on the run. Same nuts as always.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of bike and run build did you do for the month leading up to IMTX? Avg. weekly hours and miles?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
I wanted to do this race last year, but I was injured most of April and all of May.

No family outside of Amy, oddly enough. I actually told my parents not to come since my mom's travel schedule has been so crazy! And, in reality, an IM is something that is miserable to spectate though The Woodlands is a pretty good place for it as far as the swim and run go!

Friends. Yes, there were a LOT of people from Austin there. And, having grown up and started racing in the Houston area, there were a LOT of people who have known me for 20 or so years that were there. I hadn't seen some of them in almost that many years, TJ Fry for example (hasn't changed a bit!!), but it was great to hear my name and the cheers. So thanks.

I'll get to the other Qs in a bit.

Holy crap...TJ Fry! Is he still coaching at the Woodlands ST? Haven't heard that name in forever. Kinda just clicked and confirmed that I (thought) I know you!

Doubt you remember, but we met back in HS swimming, when your were still at Angleton HS, and I was swimming with Clements HS (plus FCST) and going to triathlons with Hugh M. I had the honor of getting my ass handed to me by you in the 500 Free, IIRC more than once at meets. Nice to see you've hit the triathlon big times, and congratulations to a great IM Texas race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great race Brandon
Unfortunately I never saw you on tv. But i hope its ok to ask a question about Amy.
When she stated the run she had a nutrition bottle in one of her hands and it seems to have stiffened up her arm drive and at later stages without bottle she seemed actually more relaxed in her shoulders.
Do you feel its the best for her to carry her nutrition on the run in one hand ?
Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregk wrote:
As for questions - I second Dan's query. Also, on a somewhat-similar note, I'm curious what your take is on fitting high-level sport in to an otherwise balanced life. The current front page interview with Craig Evans was a great one, and I think it's a good eye opener for a lot of folks. You and I spoke on the phone near the end of my tenure with SRAM, and I recall being impressed with how level-headed you were, and willing to work for it. In a sense, I'm always somewhat baffled by the guys who almost seem "too smart" to pursue this shaky career we call professional triathlon. I guess I'm saying - kudos to you, and please shed some light on it if you don't mind.

Lastly, what are your best three pieces of training advice to give to the aspiring age grouper. My perception is that a lot of folks assume it takes a *ton* of training hours to go fast.... but clearly there are pro's who work part or full time and go very, very fast (and don't necessarily put a lot of hours in... just high quality hours when their body is ready for it). What say you?
Greg

The shaky career of professional triathlon. I have not read the interview with Craig yet; however, I did start out full time in engineering as a top-level age grouper. I won just about every race in Texas and finished 3rd at AG Nats in 2003, turned pro after. Mainly to race with the fast guys, but not to make a career out of it as it just didn't seem too 'smart'. Somewhere along the way I abandoned being smart and went for the 'you only go around once approach'. Unless you are a trust-funder (we are not) or have parents who help you out in extraordinary ways (we do not, supportive yes) or just don't mind bouncing CC balance from card to card (we do not), it is not a sustainable make a living sport for MOST pros. We have cobbled it together by having 1 of the pair make a good amount of prize money, the other making enough coaching athletes, and from a key sponsorship in 2010/11 and another one in 2012. Right now, the thought that pros ride what they are 'paid' to ride and get all of their travel covered by 'sponsors' is a bit of a misnomer. It is hard, very hard, and the money outside of race winnings is small for 90% of the pros, very very small. And, I think that there are a lot of pros who 'think' that I will win a race and then be set. It is not the case at all. If you podium in a lot of races, you can make in on prize money alone and some sponsorship money may come from that. But, a lot of pros are not willing to do this right here...sit down for seemingly hours and answer questions. Or try to do effective social networking outside of making the life of a pro look like eat, sleep, surf the net and go to a coffee shop. Or really work with their sponsors. Coming from the corporate world helps with that mindset a bit. But, there are some sponsors who do not necessarily see these actions (ours will get a note about races, results, etc) so some of it is difficult to quantify.

The thought of making a living off of prize money, which is what a lot of people think that pros do, is to some degree like hoping you get a bonus for a project you wok on at work for weeks but aren't getting paid along the way. There are definitely companies and marketing folks out there who get it, but it is a challenge to get more than product/bonuses in many cases. Lastly, this is why a lot of pros do have secondary jobs coaching, etc.

Three tips for the AGer who wants to go fast or get faster...
- Find a schedule that you can hit week in and week out, lather rinse repeat ad naseum. If it's 8 hours it's 8, if it's 12 its' 12, etc. A LOT of work can be done in 12 hours a week.
- If you have the above base of fitness, it should 'only' take 6 weeks to get ready for just about any race, then the family can have mom/dad/etc back.
- Do NOT neglect or assume that your life stresses have no bearing in your training or racing stresses, they do and they need to be accounted for.
- Work on your weakness, but DO NOT think that you are going to eliminate it, especially at the expense of losing your strength.

Edit...that was four, I really can count.

Last edited by: -BrandonMarshTX: May 24, 12 9:33
Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:

questions and thoughts below:
Jordan thought he could win. he built his race around that. what did you expect, how does that drive your decision points (when to go, when to hold back, do you chase athlete X, pass him, pace off him, etc)? did you have people you thought you could beat? ("i'm going to stick to X and then pass him." etc)

what's next? will you go to Kona if the points are there?

My focus here was to execute a good race. I penciled in 8:25 with a 0:50 swim, 4:35 bike, 2:55 run, and transitions. I built this race around that and the training that Paulo had me do. For the most part I knew about who I would swim with in this race and what they would do once we hit the bikes...all but 1 maybe 2 would ride too hard. I figured Jordan would pass me on the bike, but didn't know when and unless it wasn't definitive, I would stick with my plan. Pretty much I raced for my plan and my time in the race. I knew it would finally take a good race to do that. Unless the course is ridiculously fast or field very deep, 8:25 is usually a top-10 for sure, lots of time top-5, and sometimes top-3. I didn't think that it would win, so I didn't worry about that. Having had a good race, it definitely gives me confidence to find another one and 'maybe' go for the win.

Next, I don't know. I 'should' have enough Kona points, but I am working on a few scenarios. That's not a cop-out, I just don't know for sure.

Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [scrub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CapTex? Cheering. BSLT? Doubtful. We are headed to Flagstaff for the summer, and will likely not race in June to get used to the alititude.

Quote Reply

Prev Next