Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TEAM NORWAY AT KONA 2021....
Quote | Reply
Halvard has his Hawaii dreams come true as the boys from Norway prepare for Kona next year. It sure is going to be a fun 10 months of "discussions" from the ST cheap seats in the lead up to October nest year.

https://mxendurance.com/news/gustav-iden-kristian-blummenfelt-target-kona-2021/?fbclid=IwAR2RWQQxA6edX5sVB_ZqMDcO5lTbsxy-TD_3vgZjgJL_VkeetsNvJKlz-nk

Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Nov 9, 20 19:25
Quote Reply
Re: TEAM NORWAY AT KONA 2021.... [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talk is cheap, when it comes to "we are easily gonna overcome the Kona conditions" :-)

Ask Macca or Thunderbear about that.

Strong 70.3 performances aint cutting it on the Big Island, as seen numerous times. Will be interesting to see/follow this Dynamic Duo
Last edited by: Mulen: Nov 9, 20 4:15
Quote Reply
Re: TEAM NORWAY AT KONA 2021.... [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Talk is cheap, when it comes to "we are easily gonna overcome the Kona conditions" :-)

Strong 70.3 performances aint cutting it on the Big Island, as seen numerous times. Will be interesting to see/follow this Dynamic Duo
Well Macca worked it out in the end.....Twice. :-)

The Norwegian Team will be back in Phuket (Covid allowing) to prepare for Tokyo like they were this year and I am sure they will be return before they head to Kona.Nothing is guaranteed in Kona so you can only prepare as best you can and roll the dice on race week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubted the Norwegians could hang with the top 70.3 guys at worlds in Nice last year only to see Iden win it in stellar fashion and Blum finish just off the podium. So I won’t make that mistake again.

140.6 and Kona both offer different challenges than the 70.3’s they’ve done. But those guys do crazy amounts of volume and their coach is intelligent so I think they will be well prepared. I will say that I *think* it could hurt their chances in Tokyo having to focus on races that are pretty dissimilar. But who knows if the olympics even end up happening.

Either ways, they would both be in my top 5 to 10 guys that I would want to watch at Kona

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: Nov 9, 20 5:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:

I live in Tampa, FL and had the great pleasure of racing IM Norway (the full) in Haugesund in 2018. Norway was in the midst of a heat wave that week and the temperature during the run got up to a blistering 68 degrees F. It was nearly comical watching the locals stuffing sponges down their kits, running under the showers, and complaining about the heat. I politely declined all the offers from volunteers to hose me off as I ran. I can't speak to Norway's elites, but based on my experience I would think the typical Norwegian triathlete would suffer terribly in Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
So we had a plan for getting Kristian to win in [Ironman] Copenhagen and I was just going to finish to validate my race.

Isn't that against IMs rules?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: TEAM NORWAY AT KONA 2021.... [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Mulen wrote:

I live in Tampa, FL and had the great pleasure of racing IM Norway (the full) in Haugesund in 2018. Norway was in the midst of a heat wave that week and the temperature during the run got up to a blistering 68 degrees F. It was nearly comical watching the locals stuffing sponges down their kits, running under the showers, and complaining about the heat. I politely declined all the offers from volunteers to hose me off as I ran. I can't speak to Norway's elites, but based on my experience I would think the typical Norwegian triathlete would suffer terribly in Kona.

+100

Norwegian here. Anything over 15 dgr C and I break down. Sad but true!😂

On The other hand, give me 4 dgr C with rain and I’ll Shine!:-)
Quote Reply
Re: TEAM NORWAY AT KONA 2021.... [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
So we had a plan for getting Kristian to win in [Ironman] Copenhagen and I was just going to finish to validate my race.

Yeah,I am surprised more folks here didn't pick up on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They just need to go train in the sauna on Jeju Island like Chrissy did in 2008 before her first Kona...heat acclimatization problem resolved!
Quote Reply
Re: TEAM NORWAY AT KONA 2021.... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah...

Comparing Norwegian age groupers who train at home to professionals training in Phuket is quite the extrapolation. It's not like their physiology is somehow different from the Germans who've been crushing Kona. They can acclimate like everyone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
hadukla wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

Yeah,I am surprised more folks here didn't pick up on that.

Well that would depend on (i) what part you find to be against the rules, and (ii) (in guessing you men "a plan for getting Kristian to win").

The part where Iden finishes just to validate is hardly against the rules, though maybe frowned upon? or did they change this after past incidents where Pete Jacobs et.al were accused of "Just finishing"?'

The "plan for getting Kristian to win" is something I think you should not read to much into.. If they were talking of running team-tactics we are back to Lionels swim-domestiques of the past, and how much an athlete gives up his own race. This could be dubious - but if they are just talking of a plan involving Kristians training and how Kristian races, its hardly an issue under the rules..
Quote Reply
Re: TEAM NORWAY AT KONA 2021.... [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point but the way I read that, and I'm assuming, is Iden would pull Kristian on the bike, destroying himself and the field, then let Kristian run for the win. Iden would jog it in for validation.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are the Vikings gonna put the hammer down at Laguna Phuket Tri on Nov 22?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wait.. they actually said that? LOOOL

Mulen wrote:
"we are easily gonna overcome the Kona conditions" :-)

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Are the Vikings gonna put the hammer down at Laguna Phuket Tri on Nov 22?
I doubt it as the Thai government can't figure out who they want to let in and what quarantine rules they want to apply.At this stage I reckon we might see Jurgen fight it out for the win with his young Thai protege Jaray Jearanai and perhaps ST'er Vinnie Santana.
Quote Reply
Re: TEAM NORWAY AT KONA 2021.... [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
Good point but the way I read that, and I'm assuming, is Iden would pull Kristian on the bike, destroying himself and the field, then let Kristian run for the win. Iden would jog it in for validation.

Yea that wouldnt sit right with most, but didnt read it that way. Just have to wait see what they actually do, I guess 😬

In any case will be fun to watch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
They just need to go train in the sauna on Jeju Island like Chrissy did in 2008 before her first Kona...heat acclimatization problem resolved!

2007 was her first Kona. P2C with road bars :)
Quote Reply
Re: TEAM NORWAY AT KONA 2021.... [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
wait.. they actually said that? LOOOL

Mulen wrote:
"we are easily gonna overcome the Kona conditions" :-)

Why is Kona considered so different? I thought it was pretty similar to Lanzarote, Cozumel, and other warm/windy places. If they train in Phuket and Lanzarote, what's so unique about Kona? It's not Mars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Halvard has his Hawaii dreams come true as the boys from Norway prepare for Kona next year. It sure is going to be a fun 10 months of "discussions" from the ST cheap seats in the lead up to October nest year.

https://mxendurance.com/news/gustav-iden-kristian-blummenfelt-target-kona-2021/?fbclid=IwAR2RWQQxA6edX5sVB_ZqMDcO5lTbsxy-TD_3vgZjgJL_VkeetsNvJKlz-nk

If people want to find out if the Norwegians can race in hot weather, check results from ITU races.
Talking about the weather in Norway has nothing to do with race results.
Does Germany have tropical climate?? The country sure has a lot of Kona winners.

I said Iden would win at Nice last year and most people here called me crazy, just saying...............
Quote Reply
Re: TEAM NORWAY AT KONA 2021.... [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

If people want to find out if the Norwegians can race in hot weather, check results from ITU races.
Does Germany have tropical climate?? The country sure has a lot of Kona winners.

I said Iden would win at Nice last year and most people here called me crazy, just saying...............

I agreed with you then as top end ITU ability will almost always smash the long distance guys over 70.3.

However with Kona I'm not so sure things will be so easy. I mean they will probably beat Sanders but I think Jan and maybe a fit AB will be too tough to handle.

Podium isnt out of the question between the pair of them, but if I was a betting man I'd say no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

There’s a big difference between racing an Olympic distance in the heat compared to an Ironman.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: TEAM NORWAY AT KONA 2021.... [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

2007 was her first Kona. P2C with road bars :)

Correct year - but normal aerobars.

Chrissie optimized during that time would've been less unfair....

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

An arrogant nationalist yes. Crazy...I don't know you well enough to say that is true.

The truth is that they have as good a chance as anyone in the field. They are excellent triathletes and will most likely be a factor in the outcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Germany did have a very hot summer, Frankfurt was the hottest ironman ever at 39 degrees. Some German pros train in hotter places like spain and texas anyway.

Halvard wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

Last edited by: lacticturkey: Nov 10, 20 22:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my questions about Norwegians:
- can man train so much as they do for a long period without a big injury? as an example, we have Frodo who has lost the opportunity of "3 Konas in a row", after his hip was broken.

- people are asking about Norwegians and climate... well, do they train in Norway? because I think that NO. They spend a lot of time training in High Altitud and in Spain(yes, the country in Europe), close to the mediterranean sea and in Canarias. So, I don't think that they have not the opportunity to acclimate themselves to hot-wet weather.

- as people said, we have the human factor, I lost my bet with Javier Gomez Noya, who I thought would have a good performance in Kona after his 2nd place in IM Australia. I think that ITU racers will be competitve in Ironman, but it doesn't mean to be the man who break Kona. Or at least, not all the people are Frodo.

- my last question, not related, or maybe yes... they have found this EPO powder doping thing in German bike riders... will it impact in german Ironman racers performance? (is it even related with the low performance of Daniela Ryf in 2019, ok, she is not german, but german-ish as se train with germans...)...

I don't now if Ironman 2021 will be spectacular, but I think that it will be a transition year, with a mix of old vs young athletes... with a lot of surprises.... and only 10months left!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next