Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Switching from a Tacx Vortex to an Elite Direto : noise reduction ?
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone,

Most of my bike training is done indoors on a tacx Vortex. I recently mooved in a new flat and I'm afraid the noise isolation is not as good as in my previous home. I haven't received any complaints so far but pretty sure I'll receive them soon enough.

I had already been thinking about switching to a direct drive, the Elite Direto.

As anyone experienced both of those trainers and could tell me about the difference in noise between both ? ( Well not only, if you have other comments I'll be glad to read your impressions !)

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from a Tacx Vortex to an Elite Direto : noise reduction ? [strangename] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can tell you going from a Vortex to a Flux that it is a night and day difference in terms of noise. Something that also helps is to have a dampening mat (those spongy for exercises do fine).
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from a Tacx Vortex to an Elite Direto : noise reduction ? [lemos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Flux is much quieter than the Direto though.

OP: Go to YouTube and search Direto noise tests. There are plenty and several comparisons to other trainers.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from a Tacx Vortex to an Elite Direto : noise reduction ? [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I searched on youtube, but I couldn't find a comparison of both trainers in the same video. And you can't really compare the sound in a video with an other which wasn't recorded the same way.

I understand the Flux is much quiter than the vortex, but it seems that the Flux is also quieter than the direto.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from a Tacx Vortex to an Elite Direto : noise reduction ? [strangename] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
strangename wrote:
I understand the Flux is much quiter than the vortex, but it seems that the Flux is also quieter than the direto.
Exactly. Vortex is much louder than the Flux. The Flux is a lot quieter than the Direto.
Maybe resort to comparisons between other trainers. Vortex vs X, X vs Direto.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a search on YouTube for dcrainmaker and elite direto....

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from a Tacx Vortex to an Elite Direto : noise reduction ? [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Do a search on YouTube for dcrainmaker and elite direto....

I have seen this video, from what I heard it seems quieter than the vortex, but its not a direct comparison and thats why I am wondering if anyone here had tried/heard both.

For instance if I listen to the Vortex reccordings on youtube it seems quite acceptable, which is not the case in real life in my opinion.

As the vortex is very popular to start zwifting and the direto is well placed in terms of price/features, I thought I would not be the only one switching from the vortex to the direto :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
isn't the Flux inline with the Direto as well (price wise)?
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from a Tacx Vortex to an Elite Direto : noise reduction ? [lemos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lemos wrote:
isn't the Flux inline with the Direto as well (price wise)?

It is, and your answer made me reconsider the Flux for my future trainer (noise being one of the most important feature for me currently), but I'm too concerned about the troubles many people seem to have with it - And lately I appear to be consistently in the unlucky group who gets faulty units.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had both and the direto is much quieter, especially in the small ring using erg. I use it in the garage at 4:30am and my 2 and 4 year olds directly over the garage never wake up.

Neighbors don’t complain when I open the door that early either.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from a Tacx Vortex to an Elite Direto : noise reduction ? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great ! Thank you. I certainly would never dare using it as 4:30 am, but at least now I know I can :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought they sorted out the manufacturing issues with the flux and corrected them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Direto and I love it......but on the noise comparison....I got nuthin'

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it is significantly more expensive than the Direto or the Vortex but the Tacx Neo is virtually soundless...seriously....the only thing you will likely hear is your chain. It is a pretty phenomenal product...but certainly a different price point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a Direto and can only compare it to a Cycleops Fluid2. The Direto is louder but not by that much. It also helps to ride in the small chainring too as that generates less noise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you shoulda paid attention last week. buncha guys got a screamin deal.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from a Tacx Vortex to an Elite Direto : noise reduction ? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tacx Neo is almost twice as expensive, so I'll not consider that option unfortunatly.

Actually my gf says that its not that loud, no more than a washing machine, so I might keep using the Vortex for a while. I can actualy use ERG mode or go on a huge climb on Zwift in order to limit the noise, but there is no way to reduce sound during races.. which is for me the funniest feature in Zwift. I always feel Lazy when ERG mode is selecting the power for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the vortex smart. I got it about 2 years ago on some super sale from Evans cycles and the exchange rate was really in US favor so got it for like $350 or something. I was very close to getting a elite direto for around $650 Memorial Day weekend but just couldn’t justify it the expense as the vortex smart works fine. My wife asks why I close the door when I use it as she says it’s not that loud.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
strangename wrote:
Hello everyone,

Most of my bike training is done indoors on a tacx Vortex. I recently mooved in a new flat and I'm afraid the noise isolation is not as good as in my previous home. I haven't received any complaints so far but pretty sure I'll receive them soon enough.

I had already been thinking about switching to a direct drive, the Elite Direto.

As anyone experienced both of those trainers and could tell me about the difference in noise between both ? ( Well not only, if you have other comments I'll be glad to read your impressions !)

Thanks

I have both. The vortex is way louder. When a buddy is over and riding it next to me, I'm turning the TV up from 20 to 30. I could take a video for a sound comparison, but like others have said, sound on youtube is in no way related to actually being in the room.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from a Tacx Vortex to an Elite Direto : noise reduction ? [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
I have a Direto and I love it......but on the noise comparison....I got nuthin'
same here -- directo is quieter than a computrainer and a wahoo snap - and i put the bike on a couple exercise mats to boot -- i don't think it's loud on a first floor flat - but IDK on a second (ground and first in the UK)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a direct comparison for you unfortunately but the Flux and Direto are quiet. The Flux is a tiny bit quieter but if you live in an appartment, the Direto's legs do fold where the Flux doesn't. Also, if you can wait few more days, you will have additional options to consider.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from a Tacx Vortex to an Elite Direto : noise reduction ? [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the help, I'm pretty much set on buying an Elite Direto. I can certainly wait a few days (Might be a couple of month before I take the final step).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can wait do that either you will get an even better trainer for the money or the Direto for less ...thats a win-win!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't compare to the Elite Direto, but swapped out my Vortex for an Elite Muin (direct drive non-smart). The Muin is definitely quieter.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from a Tacx Vortex to an Elite Direto : noise reduction ? [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone,

I've waited as advised and I beleive that the new items are out ( Wahoo Kicker new gen / Elite Drivo). Those look very interesting, but they are too expensive (1200€ Kickr, 1400€ Drivo) compared to my actual budget (675€ for the Elite Direto).

I dont expect the price of the Direto to fall soon in Europe, considering that those products are in fact not at all il the same price range. Did I miss anything or should I order the Drivo now ?

In addiction to the noise, yesterday evening I went to the limits of the Vortex, during a sprint in an A cat race my maximum output was 1000W@180 RPM, the 4 other guyz flew away. I had still power in reserve in my legs but I couldnt go faster than 180 RPM.
Quote Reply

Prev Next