Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone messaged me and they are fairly certain then can get a 56 P5 disc, p3x and a p series bike for the test.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Wink, nod. I live driving distance to the A2 tunnel.

Yeah, you live a fair bit closer than me, but i've done that drive a couple of times. It's not too bad from the DC area.

burnthesheep wrote:
Also.....I've got that Tempor now that looks oohhhhh so sweet with my fit. Thought I heard A2 doesn't have theirs laying around any longer for folks to try. I could trade time for equipment usage.

First trip out with it will be the Turkey Run TT next week.

I'm curious to see your numbers Tempor vs Cerebel.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Someone messaged me and they are fairly certain then can get a 56 P5 disc, p3x and a p series bike for the test.

Dang that's a nice haul for half a day's work. But what are the chances of getting the three other bikes folks want to see??

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone also offered to potentially be the project manager pending a discussion on what's all involved.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
desert dude wrote:
You obviously have no idea what a HUGMONGOUS PIA this would be.

Yet, since I'm one of the <3 people in the world who's actually successfully designed then done this exact thing, you get the bikes, wrenching help, a super stable & consistent rider for the tunnel + the funding I have the know how and the wind tunnel time.

I think I can actually make it better & more accurate than the first, only & last time this was done.

And the last time was one of the smallest margins of error ever published for wind tunnel testing in the bike industry. Yet I'm pretty sure I know how to make it another 2-5% more accurate.

Estimated cost would be about $7-9k before bikes.

You get the bikes & funding and, well, this sums it up

Most manufacturers probably do some level of this with iterations of their bikes.

Lest we forget, all hail JackMott for this assembly of [now outdated but still useful] data http://www.aeroweenie.com/data.html

True, not with a rider on though. Our protocol was more stringent than anything anyone had done to that point, which enabled us to set the standard in low standard error.

rider-on really just does the job of making the results super specific. the results of kiley's shootout are really only applicable to kiley, no matter what anyone says. one can always make assumptions about those resutls' applicability to others but the are just that: assumptions.
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's one of the things I'd like to do different.

Have 2-4 riders ride each bike then you can get a broader sense of how each bike works across a spectrum of triathletes.

That's also a lot of change over time that you're paying for. Figure 5-8 minutes per bike. If you have 3 riders & 6 bikes that's a minimal of $750 in change over time.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even though it didn't really affect me or my purchases at all, I enjoyed seeing the last effort come together and looking through the data. I'd be willing to donate $50 for Volume 2

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [CeeGee90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are we not considering the Trek speed concept or the multiple time Kona winning Felt IA FRD super bikes?

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We should definitely consider the Speed Concept as it's the last (and one of the best) rim bikes left. This would give a final disc vs rim brake comparison.
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After everything is said and done, I like to see a P3C in there as well to see just how far (or not) bikes have progressed in the last 10 years
Id pay to see that.
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the past few weeks I have been no less than 4 times (on threads about new frames and aero road bars) that reported wind tunnel gains are 'additive' meaning if a bar test 6 watts faster is equates to a 6 watt saving in the overall system. Canyon makes the same claim about the new Speedmax stating its 9 watts faster in the tunnel (without a clear reference to the baseline) and that this was validated to equate to the same savings in the real world. I just don't understand how this is true especially when you start playing around with contact points. The behavior of air flow on any contact point is massively dependent on whether or not their is human on that contact point.

If I think about drafting you still feel a significant effect 2m+ from the next rider. When I look at the previous aero shoot-out data it seems to confirm this bias that to a large degree most of bike is 'drafting' behind rider. When you remove the rider you can see a lot of nuanced difference but as soon as the rider is on board most of the differences fall to nothing. Am I missing something? To what degree is bike/component only testing additive vs random noise?
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When alls said and done, buy the one you like the look of. You will spend more time looking st it than riding it, it's got to put a smile on your face.

A few Watts here or there will make zero difference to anyone life on this place.
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
When alls said and done, buy the one you like the look of. You will spend more time looking st it than riding it, it's got to put a smile on your face.

A few Watts here or there will make zero difference to anyone life on this place.
Well in that case I will be sticking with my P3C
If I don't stand on the top step of the podium at my next race, it wont be because my bike is holding me back
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
When I look at the previous aero shoot-out data it seems to confirm this bias that to a large degree most of bike is 'drafting' behind rider. When you remove the rider you can see a lot of nuanced difference but as soon as the rider is on board most of the differences fall to nothing.

I would agree with this based on my own testing. However, I would like to see some data from Specialized that at yaw, their bike obtains the sailing effect they keep referencing.
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're missing an 'n' in that yaw

😂
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
You're missing an 'n' in that yaw

😂

LOL ! - You do realise what forum you're on ?
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew69 wrote:
After everything is said and done, I like to see a P3C in there as well to see just how far (or not) bikes have progressed in the last 10 years
Id pay to see that.

We know each generation of Cervelo bikes is ~ 8w faster than the previous gen.

If this goes off we'd love for you to pay for that since tunnel time is just over $10/min. I'll put you down for ~ a $200 donation!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:
Are we not considering the Trek speed concept or the multiple time Kona winning Felt IA FRD super bikes?

Trek is the best bike! Or at least it was until the mono-posts...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Someone also offered to potentially be the project manager pending a discussion on what's all involved.

I live here, and am a project manager

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
but to prove to people it's truly in the details of the fit...........you should pick someone with a really really dialed personal fit on a much older bike to toss on there at the end of the test.

Like this guy??

Or this guy. I'm a pretty consistent rider, .22 over a few tunnel sessions spread out over a few years

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
But that would really not prove much as most folks can get in a real dialed position on the newer stuff too. The point might be is how close these new bikes are to the old ones and Kiley's test pretty much told us that. A second tier frame "kept up" with the best Cervelo had to offer at the time when you stuck the rider on the bike.

ETA: I get what your saying about focusing on fit as the benefit gained from buying one of these front runners can be lost if attention to detail is lost in other areas. Particularly fit. But, the point is to get good data and there one needs someone that has a position that can hold up over hours of testing.

If we focus on fit, the functionality of the mono-post bikes will win out. You'd have to throw in my P4 with Alpha One as a control to prove that point as well as prove that old bikes are as fast as new bikes. Same for disc vs. non-disc brakes. The functionality will win out, ie. rim brakes.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Have 2-4 riders ride each bike then you can get a broader sense of how each bike works across a spectrum of triathletes.

That's also a lot of change over time that you're paying for. Figure 5-8 minutes per bike. If you have 3 riders & 6 bikes that's a minimal of $750 in change over time.

all the dudes (or women!) would all have to fit on the same bikes ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

We know each generation of Cervelo bikes is ~ 8w faster than the previous gen.

Bike only?

Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
desert dude wrote:

all the dudes (or women!) would all have to fit on the same bikes ;)

Yeah, I'm writing an email right now to regarding this potential shoot out and that's one thing I mentioned. The other issues I see with clouding the data are shoes & helmets. Someone may have a big head and require a L while everyone else rides a M. Or the aerohead may be great for all but 1 rider. With Kiley all that was the same. Same position, same shoes, helmets etc.

On the other hand if you get 3-4-5 riders in there instead of a comparative study you end up with a broad based look at how the bikes react with different riding styles/helmets.

Currently all the bikes that have been offered are Cervelo's size 56, at least the one's in the US. I've had a bike offer from the EU but that's going to add to the cost a fair bit.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Would be interested to know how my 56 p5-three does. Sitting here in Europe, so cannot furnish the bike but there should be plenty of people being interested in the results of a p5.
Would be willing to donate $ 50, and if the time has come tell me how to transfer that from Europe (I googled the A2 Wintunnel to be in the US so I guess you're located there too).
Quote Reply

Prev Next