Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc
Quote | Reply
Please tell me someone is already working on this. I *MUST* know which is the queen of aero. Are there any other brands expecting to launch a new gen tri bike?

CG
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [CeeGee90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i vote this thread of the year.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [CeeGee90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CeeGee90 wrote:
Please tell me someone is already working on this. I *MUST* know which is the queen of aero. Are there any other brands expecting to launch a new gen tri bike?

This would be awesome. I would definitely throw in the Cube Aerium as well, supposedly one of the fastest in the wind tunnel.
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
i vote this thread of the year.

I vote this clickbait of the year...
Last edited by: knighty76: Nov 18, 20 0:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You obviously have no idea what a HUGMONGOUS PIA this would be.

Yet, since I'm one of the <3 people in the world who's actually successfully designed then done this exact thing, you get the bikes, wrenching help, a super stable & consistent rider for the tunnel + the funding I have the know how and the wind tunnel time.

I think I can actually make it better & more accurate than the first, only & last time this was done.

And the last time was one of the smallest margins of error ever published for wind tunnel testing in the bike industry. Yet I'm pretty sure I know how to make it another 2-5% more accurate.

Estimated cost would be about $7-9k before bikes.

You get the bikes & funding and, well, this sums it up

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 18, 20 6:19
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Yet, since I'm one of the <3 people in the world who's actually successfully designed then done this exact thing, you get the bikes, wrenching help, a super stable & consistent rider for the tunnel + the funding I have the know how and the wind tunnel time.

I think I can actually make it better & more accurate than the first, only & last time this was done.

And the last time was one of the smallest margins of error ever published for wind tunnel testing in the bike industry. Yet I'm pretty sure I know how to make it another 2-5% more accurate.

Most manufacturers probably do some level of this with iterations of their bikes.

Lest we forget, all hail JackMott for this assembly of [now outdated but still useful] data http://www.aeroweenie.com/data.html
Last edited by: jkhayc: Nov 18, 20 7:55
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given the exorbitant cost of these bikes, anyone considering a major purchase in the next couple years should find value in such a study. I’d happily chip into a gofundme for a bonafide independent study.

Would like to see how the old Speed Concept stacks up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why bother? They are probably all within such a small margin of error that a creased sock or twisted helmet strap would negate any advantage.

Buy some shoe covers instead.

Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a PR6/5 needs to be in the mix too! (simply because that's what I have and id like to see how they stack up Laugh)

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add the Kú TF1 as that beat the P5dusc already ;-)

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Given the exorbitant cost of these bikes, anyone considering a major purchase in the next couple years should find value in such a study. I’d happily chip into a gofundme for a bonafide independent study.

Would like to see how the old Speed Concept stacks up.
I'd be down to throw some money at this, thoughts Brian?
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Most manufacturers probably do some level of this with iterations of their bikes.

Lest we forget, all hail JackMott for this assembly of [now outdated but still useful] data http://www.aeroweenie.com/data.html

True, not with a rider on though. Our protocol was more stringent than anything anyone had done to that point, which enabled us to set the standard in low standard error.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always thought someone should retrofit a box truck to have a scoop on it to force wind through the box and out the back. Then put your rotating yaw bike jig mounted into the box truck. You know the ones like a Uhaul with "gradma's attic" above the driver's cabin? Just cut that sucker open to the wind outside and open up the rear door.

Instead of a multimillion wind tunnel, just drive around the interstate with the cruise control on. Maybe some baffles or something to direct the air and volume.

That's my idiotic idea for the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I've always thought someone should retrofit a box truck to have a scoop on it to force wind through the box and out the back. Then put your rotating yaw bike jig mounted into the box truck. You know the ones like a Uhaul with "gradma's attic" above the driver's cabin? Just cut that sucker open to the wind outside and open up the rear door.

Instead of a multimillion wind tunnel, just drive around the interstate with the cruise control on. Maybe some baffles or something to direct the air and volume.

That's my idiotic idea for the day.

Actually there used to be a dude who had something like this set up in a box truck.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok everyone

I've gotten some whatsapps' and emails regarding doing this type of aerobike shoot out. If the demand is there, we can get the bikes, set everything up etc I think we can do this.

I have some ideas on how to make it more applicable to more people vs the last shoot out and also tighten up the standard error a bit.

I'm not taking the lead on sorting everything out. I am willing to take the lead on putting people in touch with each other to get this ball rolling. If you're serious about this, realizing in addition to the bikes we'd need to raise somewhere between $6-9k contact me. I'll start some sort of meet up and we can get this ball rolling.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
Why bother? They are probably all within such a small margin of error that a creased sock or twisted helmet strap would negate any advantage.

Yes, this. It was already proven that these super bikes are all so close that any differences will likely be due to the shape of a particular rider, what kind of hydration they use, which wheels work better, etc etc.

I'm all for seeing interesting data, but I'd rather see an updated and proper testing of all the most popular aero wheels and tire widths (including a HED3+ clincher trispoke please!).
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
M----n wrote:

Yes, this. It was already proven that these super bikes are all so close that any differences will likely be due to the shape of a particular rider, what kind of hydration they use, which wheels work better, etc etc.

I'm all for seeing interesting data, but I'd rather see an updated and proper testing of all the most popular aero wheels and tire widths (including a HED3+ clincher trispoke please!).

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned, given the peak aero sameness of all bikes, the things that make the bikes different and potentially better than others.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Judging from some data from 2017 (thank you desertdude) Im guessing aero wise you could throw a blanket over all of them.
Even my lowly FELT B series held its own among those with greater pedigree.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8RrY_TRtezdc2pYSHJ1cVllUjQ/view?fbclid=IwAR1sVGdSHCU6AGeC_Ws9FGbK-ARKHl-oOrrJlCoG8_6T6WtuzGwnImQcx7Y

Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, buy the one that looks the best to you, or has some feature you want. Any aero test is likely to be specific to whoever is used as the test rider (or test dummy).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about the OG disc brake TT, Parlee TTiR? ;[/reply]
Coach at Scientific Triathlon
http://www.scientifictriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [ljkerin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the speed concept? The last of the brands not to go disc?
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This would be one item too far........

but to prove to people it's truly in the details of the fit...........you should pick someone with a really really dialed personal fit on a much older bike to toss on there at the end of the test.

Make the superbikes all have some generic "heel on the pedals" style fit with the forearms parallel to the ground and upper arms vertical. Then toss that person's personal old bike on their with the dialed in fit.

The Obree egg/superman/modern tunnel test was eye opening. With that old helmet and suit tech, the positions were that radical they were still faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
but to prove to people it's truly in the details of the fit...........you should pick someone with a really really dialed personal fit on a much older bike to toss on there at the end of the test.

Like this guy??

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Nov 18, 20 13:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But that would really not prove much as most folks can get in a real dialed position on the newer stuff too. The point might be is how close these new bikes are to the old ones and Kiley's test pretty much told us that. A second tier frame "kept up" with the best Cervelo had to offer at the time when you stuck the rider on the bike.

ETA: I get what your saying about focusing on fit as the benefit gained from buying one of these front runners can be lost if attention to detail is lost in other areas. Particularly fit. But, the point is to get good data and there one needs someone that has a position that can hold up over hours of testing.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Nov 18, 20 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Wind Tunnel Shootout: P5D vs. P3X vs. Plasma 6 vs. Speedmax CFR vs. Shiv Disc [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

Like this guy??

Wink, nod. I live driving distance to the A2 tunnel.

Shoot, even not having money to go in there myself if I knew when it was going on I'd be curious to drive down and watch if allowed to. That would be cool to see.

Also.....I've got that Tempor now that looks oohhhhh so sweet with my fit. Thought I heard A2 doesn't have theirs laying around any longer for folks to try. I could trade time for equipment usage.

First trip out with it will be the Turkey Run TT next week.
Quote Reply

Prev Next