Re: Strava Brag here... Ah, sweet Stravasfaction [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
CPT Chaos wrote:
My dope is Bacon and Beer (good beer!).

Cheers,
Jack

Great minds think alike!

Went out after a pretty tough KOM today, gave it a decent shot, but didn't have my A game.
Moved up from ~28th to 13th, so still a decent effort.
(11 of the 12 ahead of me were the GFNY crew. Fast Bastards. :-p )

While I was in the area, I found another short nasty one right around the corner. Game on.
http://app.strava.com/segments/747028

[Marv Albert] With authority! [/Marv Albert]

The headwall on this bitch goes at 20% grade for a little over :30.

Actually according to strava it reaches 239.2%. Impressive!
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Brag here... Ah, sweet Stravasfaction [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still searching out popular segments in my area, but I knocked one KOM off during my long ride yesterday:

http://app.strava.com/segments/1110576
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
1:43 of climbing - Yowza!!

Cool thing is if any of you local yokels want to beat it you have to high tail it to Spain....

Picture from the start of the climb:

2/3 of the way up:

Looking back down from the top:

Rider finishing at the top:

Despite that ride being 1:40+ of steady climbing, this ride hurt a lot worse/was much harder IMO...
http://app.strava.com/segments/1789228

Murphy'sLaw wrote:
1:43 of climbing - Yowza!!

You should give Haleakala a try. I did it in 3:15 just riding tempo pace, but that was 10 years ago and I was lighter, younger and stronger than now (and just a cyclist). 0-+10,000ft in 35 miles is one thing you should put on your bucket list. Also the rest of the riding on Maui is pretty freaking amazing as well.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Brag here... Ah, sweet Stravasfaction [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - Haleakala is definitely a bucket lister fo sho.

We drove up it and hiked down into it the week after Kona, and saw lots of folks riding DOWN it (there are apparently several rental companies that specialize in this), but not many riding UP. Gee, wonder why? ;-)
If the plan comes together for next year, I'm hoping to make it to XTERRA Worlds on Maui, and then maybe rent a bike to hit Haleakela later on in the week after the race. (riding up it on a mtb would probably suck pretty royal, and IIRC the roads were decently paved for the most part).

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Yes - Haleakala is definitely a bucket lister fo sho.

We drove up it and hiked down into it the week after Kona, and saw lots of folks riding DOWN it (there are apparently several rental companies that specialize in this), but not many riding UP. Gee, wonder why? ;-)
If the plan comes together for next year, I'm hoping to make it to XTERRA Worlds on Maui, and then maybe rent a bike to hit Haleakela later on in the week after the race. (riding up it on a mtb would probably suck pretty royal, and IIRC the roads were decently paved for the most part).

Actually the roads are great all the way up. Or they were. There is a touring company on Maui that works with Ryder Hesjedal. They have some super nice bikes I think you can rent.

Yeah, all the "down hillers" look like something from ET with their Moto helmets and bright wind suits. They were looking at me like I was an alien though since I was going the "wrong" way. It is one of the most incredible rides I've ever done. Just be forewarned, the altitude really starts to bite at about 8000 feet.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do people ever give you strange looks when you say what you did on vacation?

Yeah, first I did the Xterra world championships and then later that week I rode up a mountain. It took me over 3 hours, it was quite fun.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, this hasn't actually happened yet, so...

I generally keep my hobbies under wraps, and discuss things like weekends away or vacations in only general terms -
"we had a great time", "did lots of fun outdoors things", "the scenery was amazing", etc.
(you could say I am the anti-triathlete in that regard)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We drove up the volcano in 2007 a few days post Kona and no shit, I saw a guy who still had his number on his bike climbing that fucker! I was impressed!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Brag here... Ah, sweet Stravasfaction [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
We drove up the volcano in 2007 a few days post Kona and no shit, I saw a guy who still had his number on his bike climbing that fucker! I was impressed!

If I did Kona in 2007, my number would STILL be on my bike.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love this one....someone set up this little segment literally right in front of my house. No idea why. I guess some folks ride through the neighborhood as a short cut. So I blasted it one day....

http://app.strava.com/segments/905694

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team