Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Stage 17 (Spoilers within) [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there anyone beside AC he should worry about in the TT? From what I understand Voekler is 2 minutes and change slower and has enough cushion on Contador to sit back and just hang with whoever decided to attack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cadel WILL have a bad day in the next 2 days. Very much like Jalabert, he's always struggled when things got really high. The Pyrenees weren't very high this year.
The Alpes are REALLY high this year. Tomorrow, they'll go over Col Agnel at 2744m, then Col d'Isoard at 2360, then finally Serre-Chevalier at 2645m. The next day the Galibier
goes up to 2556m. Makes Alpe d'Huez at 1860 seem like sea level. There is really no hiding tomorrow. 3 hard climbs, and all of them going up to between 7700ft and 9000ft.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 17 (Spoilers within) [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
I FUCKING LOVE CONTADOR!

Bike racer right there.

x2. Just beautiful to watch him ride a bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 17 (Spoilers within) [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. He really blew up last year. He seems different to me this year though so I'm not counting him out. I DO NOT want him to win. I've always thought he was a huge baby and just gives up when things go just a little bad. This year he has kinda proven me wrong, but we will know in about 48 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 17 (Spoilers within) [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope Contador drops his chain, the Schlecks attack, then Contador reels them in, and hammer away. Now THAT would be ultimate fun.

I know many don't like Contador, but he is a really fun rider to watch. He attacks. He makes the moves. He doesn't even need a team for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I hope Contador drops his chain, the Schlecks attack, then Contador reels them in, and hammer away. Now THAT would be ultimate fun.

I know many don't like Contador, but he is a really fun rider to watch. He attacks. He makes the moves. He doesn't even need a team for that.

Been recording and watching in the evening. But tomorrow getting up early to watch live before work. fireworks tomorrow. Really exciting, as could go any which way. I am pulling for AC. Just love to watch him ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 17 (Spoilers within) [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use it the way a 12 year-old girl uses it, the way Andy and Frank use it.

Would you prefer 'uh-fwaid?'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Cadel WILL have a bad day in the next 2 days.

If he doesn't, he wins the tour.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 17 (Spoilers within) [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
I use it the way a 12 year-old girl uses it, the way Andy and Frank use it.

Would you prefer 'uh-fwaid?'

I like Elmer Fudd! LOL.

=====================================
"Yeah you point a finger back far enough and some germ gets blamed for splitting in two."

Colonel Saul Tigh from Battlestar Galactica
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 17 (Spoilers within) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two comments:

1) It's interesting that those who are saying the Schlecks had help are conveniently ignoring Sanchez helping Contador.

2) It seems odd to me that I have yet to see anyone questioning AC's sudden resurgence after the rest day. He looked like he was struggling in the Pyrenees yet nobody has said anything here or on cycling forums.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 17 (Spoilers within) [nedbraden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nedbraden wrote:
2) It seems odd to me that I have yet to see anyone questioning AC's sudden resurgence after the rest day. He looked like he was struggling in the Pyrenees yet nobody has said anything here or on cycling forums.

It's been discussed. He was obviously suffering after the crashes in the first week (and specifically, the crash where he tangled with Karpets and hit his knee). You figure unless he's seriously injured himself, eventually he has to get over that and get some form back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
That for sure is the BIG question. To be fair, I didn't think Cadel had a shot in this race but damn if he doesn't look like a different rider. I'm still not convinced he (or anyone) can follow Contador on an epic stage but we'll soon find out.

If Cadel can follow AC on the first 4 switchbacks on Alpe d'Huez which are the steepest and power to weight is the biggest advantage for AC, he has a chance in this Tour. The top of Galibier is also 12%, but that is the north side and early in the ADH stage. I can't remember what the steepest part near the Galibier summit is on the stage when they do it from the south side out of Briancon, but I don't think it is so steep that Cadel should crack. But it's rare that there is a summit finish over 8000 feet and the air is more rare and the heavier guys just have feed more mass even if their power is higher. Traditionallly the smallest guys have done very well in the super high mountain finishes. Should be interesting
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 17 (Spoilers within) [superphil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
superphil wrote:
nedbraden wrote:

It's been discussed. He was obviously suffering after the crashes in the first week (and specifically, the crash where he tangled with Karpets and hit his knee). You figure unless he's seriously injured himself, eventually he has to get over that and get some form back.

Except that he also has one of the hardest GT's ever in his legs already and nobody else who rode the Giro hard in the last two years has been able to be a top contender in the Tour.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 17 (Spoilers within) [jgarza22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jgarza22 wrote:
I agree. He really blew up last year. He seems different to me this year though so I'm not counting him out. I DO NOT want him to win. I've always thought he was a huge baby and just gives up when things go just a little bad. This year he has kinda proven me wrong, but we will know in about 48 hours.

You DO remember Cadel had a fractured elbow last year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. No one is ignoring Sanchez. He has helped Contador on a couple of occasions. This is just a circumstantial alliance, which often happens in cycling. His teammates did some good work yesterday though. But we've seen the
Trek-Leopard teammates doing a lot more work for Andy and Frank. Actually they did a lot of work, too early in the race.

2. You are questioning it. However, a few here actually follow cycling closely, and have argued that he was likely just hanging in the group in the Pyrenees to not lose too much time, simply because he
had crashed a lot in the first 10 days. After a few days that were crash free, he's back in shape. Hardly a surprise.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 17 (Spoilers within) [superphil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
superphil wrote:
nedbraden wrote:

Sure, that's it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nedbraden wrote:
superphil wrote:
nedbraden wrote:

Except that he also has one of the hardest GT's ever in his legs already and nobody else who rode the Giro hard in the last two years has been able to be a top contender in the Tour.

You also are forgettting that AC is one of the greatest GT riders per his age in the history of cycling. He's a special talent, so simply comparing what he has done to past guys who have failed at the GT double, is a bit unfair. Let's also not forget that so far the Tour really hasnt had anyone put the "hurt" on anyone else. For all we know, AC can still crack on the next few stages.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
1. No one is ignoring Sanchez. He has helped Contador on a couple of occasions. This is just a circumstantial alliance, which often happens in cycling. His teammates did some good work yesterday though. But we've seen the
Trek-Leopard teammates doing a lot more work for Andy and Frank. Actually they did a lot of work, too early in the race.

2. You are questioning it. However, a few here actually follow cycling closely, and have argued that he was likely just hanging in the group in the Pyrenees to not lose too much time, simply because he
had crashed a lot in the first 10 days. After a few days that were crash free, he's back in shape. Hardly a surprise.

1) I suggest you read through the thread as only one other person and none of the people claiming the Schlecks had help has mentioned it. As a matter of fact your excuse for Sanchez helping can be used for the Schlecks as well...but you don't do that.

2) I have been following cycling very closely for 30 years and every time someone bounces back like this they end up getting busted...except for Lemond and his "iron" injection. Once again your response simply bears out what I am talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
However, a few here actually follow cycling closely, and have argued that he was likely just hanging in the group in the Pyrenees to not lose too much time, simply because he had crashed a lot in the first 10 days. After a few days that were crash free, he's back in shape. Hardly a surprise.

I think the few here who actually follow cycling closely recognize your points and also are aware of what happens during rest days. Hardly a surprise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there was a rest day before the earlier mountains too though

AlanShearer wrote:
However, a few here actually follow cycling closely, and have argued that he was likely just hanging in the group in the Pyrenees to not lose too much time, simply because he had crashed a lot in the first 10 days. After a few days that were crash free, he's back in shape. Hardly a surprise.

I think the few here who actually follow cycling closely recognize your points and also are aware of what happens during rest days. Hardly a surprise.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 17 (Spoilers within) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cadel said yesterday or the rest day that he is particularly looking forward to the Alpe on Friday. He noted in most previous tours it has come at the end of a long, hard, stage, favoring the light little guys with more finishing stamina. But this year the stage is relatively short, leaving the Alpe ascent the primary feature of the day. He said or suggested it opened the ascent up to more attacks and more interesting racing.

I do believe that's called telegraphing his intentions.

I don't see him losing 2 mins to Contador tomorrow unless disaster strikes; making Friday some likely damn good watching.

Quote | Reply

so?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bow to your far superior knowledge of cycling...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well the cynical claim has been that contador has attacked the last two days NOT because of getting over the crashes or riding into form but because he doped on rest day #2

wouldn't he have doped on rest day #1 as well?

also you can dope whenever you want, a rest day is just easier.

AlanShearer wrote:

so?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guys like Ned and Alan always like to fall back on trotting out the same tired lines. Yawn.
Quote Reply

Prev Next