Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [BenLeese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did AS wait for AC when AC's wheel was defective? How time did Saxo get that day? 40secs or so?
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [petalduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The interview in French (at least what I read in l'Equipe) was hmmm....well, he was pissed ;-)

He said that this was going to give him extra motivation in the coming days.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
We can debate this indefinitely, but the bottom line is, none of us are professional bike racers, and I think we may need to defer to their sentiments on this - which I imagine will also be divided. Ligget, as entertaining as he is, was not a professional bike racer. Interesting that Sherwin, who was, disagreed with AC's move.

Well, as Hesjedal said in his post-race interview, "it's a bike race".

In Reply To:
I think it'll be interesting to see comments from the current peleton on. We already saw how the French fans felt about it...

I'll make a prediction: LA will say it showed no class....

It was probably the last 2K available to attack in the entire race, and Schleck was already gifted 6 minutes on stage 2. It looked to me like Contador got off the gas when he saw Schleck off of his bike. And ultimately, it's not his fault that Schleck mis-shifted.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the way, how many times did Cancellara wait for Chavanel when Chavanel flatted on the cobbles and Cance took the yellow jersey back?? None. Saxo didn't say anything then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Did AS wait for AC when AC's wheel was defective? How time did Saxo get that day? 40secs or so?

You mean when Frank "Human Roadblock" Schleck threw himself on the ground and slowed up Contador? That's totally different, since Cancellara said they were allowed to race that day....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Noticing a break pad rubbing the wheel is not as easily noticed as a dropped chain.

What happened today just shows that Alberto was very insecure about winning this year's Tour. Andy now knows that Alberto fears him.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good, I've become a huge Andy fan as of today. It should add to the drama of the Tour and overall be great for cycling for awhile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find all this talk about fair play interesting considering all the GC guys are drug cheats.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Jon h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I find all this talk about fair play interesting considering all the GC guys are drug cheats.

How exactly are you perfectly sure of that?

Sergio

Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Jon h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

You could easily argue that that makes it fair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We'll never know because AC made the decision, himself, to keep riding the wheel rather than stop for assistance. I have no idea when AC knew his wheel was broken or if and when AC was ever aware. There's also a big difference between waiting in stage 3 of a wide open race and waiting in stage 15 of a two horse race.

If everyone on ST knows nothing about cycling (because they ONLY started following it 1999 or 2000), if all we do is regurgitate Sherwin and Liggettisms (even though your beloved Sean Kelly said the same thing), if , as you say, you predicted this laughably naive thread would appear long before I posted it...then why do you bother?

Why don't you just get uli and Carl's email addresses and have your own little party?

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Last edited by: BenLeese: Jul 19, 10 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Noticing a break pad rubbing the wheel is not as easily noticed as a dropped chain.

What happened today just shows that Alberto was very insecure about winning this year's Tour. Andy now knows that Alberto fears him.

Sergio

It wasn't a brake pad rubbing. It was a broken spoke and the wheel becoming more out of true as he raced.

From my perspective... AC DID SIT UP. But Menchov and Sanchez didn't... so he had no choice but to follow.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [sevans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

You could easily argue that that makes it fair.

Or very unfair to the rider now in the 10th position.

Sergio

Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [FastandFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cn
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Sergio

It wasn't a brake pad rubbing. It was a broken spoke and the wheel becoming more out of true as he raced.

When the spoke broke the wheel got out of true and "started to rub against the brake". Contador's own words.

Sergio

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I already have their email addresses...

AC answers: http://www.lequipe.fr/...e-ne-savais-pas.html
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

You mean when Frank "Human Roadblock" Schleck threw himself on the ground and slowed up Contador? That's totally different, since Cancellara said they were allowed to race that day....

Let me see if I have this straight. Are you saying Frank Schleck crashed intentionally to slow Contador?
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Green Barf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
SCHLEK DID NOT LOSE THE YELLOW BECAUSE AC ATTACKED HIM ON THE CLIMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AC only had 13 seconds at the summit - FS would still have been in Yellow. Andy lost it because he can't descend. End of story. I wish AC would have waited and put the screws to him on the descent instead, but unless AC wins the tour by less than 13 seconds that attack won't ultimately control the outcome. The descent however, may play a major role.

You're flat out dead wrong. They finish together if they go over the top together. They put time into Schleck, b/c they had 4-5 guys pushing the pace. If Schleck is in that group, he doesn't get dropped.

No way Schlek stays with them on that descent. He lost over half a minute doing EVERYTHING he could to catch up. Contador was on the front of that downhill train for a good part of it too.

Hmmm...I guess you've never lost time going down a dead straight descent just because you couldn't close the gap to a group just prior to the descent, huh?

I have, and it's not like I'm totally "unaero" on my road bike or anything...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It always happens to me. I guess it has to do with my braking all the time, because images of tires flatting and forks snapping arrive constantly as soon as the speed reaches 50mph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"What happened today just shows that Alberto was very insecure about winning this year's Tour. Andy now knows that Alberto fears him."

This is my take as well. Lance, for example, never waited for a yellow jersey wearer OR contender while the race was still in doubt. Not in 1999, nor in 2004. He didn't even wait for Ullrich in 2001 after the race was decided. The only reason people say he did is because they believe what Lance tells them, anyone who watches the video would see him go with Beloki and Kivilev when they went by. But enough about Lance, the point is that the "rules" are not hard and fast, they are usually a matter of perspective and always open to interpretation.

In a way, this is justice because I don't really agree with the way Andy gained all this time on stage 3 after his brother blocked the favorites only to have Cancellara pull him to the finish, one stage after all the favorites waited for him.

An angry Schleck and a nervous Contador is great for us-and remember this is the Tour de France, ultimately the strongest rider is going to win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or very unfair to the rider now in the 10th position.

I agree on principle. My statement was based on the previous statement being true, that all of the GC guys are drugged. I guess if you go far enough down the line someone is getting screwed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Sergio

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Brake pad rubbing - wrong. Broken wheel. Pretty hard not to notice a broken wheel.

AC said days ago the only man her feared was AS. Nothing today changed that.

AC has been riding like the race leader since the first mountain stage, as he should be. He is the leader of the race. All he needs to do is sit on AS's wheel and he wins. Every once in a while he test AS, but for the most part he's riding safe and smart. Schlek is riding like the race leader, and he'll lose the tour because of it. They go up today's final climb at a pace slower than Voekler, yet Schlek waits until the last 2 miles to go. Can ANYONE explain the logic of that. He isn't going to get much, if any time in such a short distance, and if he does gap AC, then AC will take him back on the descent. Schlek needed to go from way down. This is his type of climb. It shows that it's actually Andy Schlek who has the most fear. Not AC. AC is just riding smart. On the wheel all the time, looking for an opportunity to go if there is one, but not doing anything stupid. Great riding by him this year. He shouldn't have gone today, and he gunned the first 5 downhill km so I don't buy that he was really sitting up just following Sanchez, but I don't think he was obligated to. There's a difference between taking advantage of someone's misfortune and someone's mistake. You have every right to exploit a mistake. AS made a mistake today - bad shift followed by the lamest attempt to put on a chain that I've ever seen. Much different than a crash in a peloton where most who go down have down nothing wrong. LA had no obligation really to wait for Ullrich a few years ago - Ulrich crashed because he made a mistake. It was a classy, but unnecessary move.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It always happens to me. I guess it has to do with my braking all the time, because images of tires flatting and forks snapping arrive constantly as soon as the speed reaches 50mph.

That's your self-preservation gene expressing itself. That gene expression tends to increase the older you get ;-)

Now then...what I was referrring to above was no braking at all. It's pretty disheartening to see the group pull away as you're in a full-on aero tuck and going faster than it would be practical to pedal.

Last edited by: Tom A.: Jul 19, 10 10:53
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
SCHLEK DID NOT LOSE THE YELLOW BECAUSE AC ATTACKED HIM ON THE CLIMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AC only had 13 seconds at the summit - FS would still have been in Yellow. Andy lost it because he can't descend. End of story. I wish AC would have waited and put the screws to him on the descent instead, but unless AC wins the tour by less than 13 seconds that attack won't ultimately control the outcome. The descent however, may play a major role.

You're flat out dead wrong. They finish together if they go over the top together. They put time into Schleck, b/c they had 4-5 guys pushing the pace. If Schleck is in that group, he doesn't get dropped.

No way Schlek stays with them on that descent. He lost over half a minute doing EVERYTHING he could to catch up. Contador was on the front of that downhill train for a good part of it too.

Hmmm...I guess you've never lost time going down a dead straight descent just because you couldn't close the gap to a group just prior to the descent, huh?

Dead straight descent??? I guess I was watching a different race. You don't think AC is good enough to gap Schlek on the downhill? Maybe you need to watch more than just the TDF each year.
Quote Reply
Re: Stage 15 (spoiler) [Green Barf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Dead straight descent??? I guess I was watching a different race. You don't think AC is good enough to gap Schlek on the downhill? Maybe you need to watch more than just the TDF each year.

I guesss I wasn't clear. The point I was making was that a group of riders will pull away from a single rider (which Schleck effectively was) even on a dead straight downhill. It's not so much about bike handling ability, it's about group aerodynamics.

You stated that AS can't descend and used today's stage as an example of it. I'm just saying that the gap from the Contador group to Schleck increasing on the downhill wasn't all about bike handling/descending skill...got it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what Barry Petchesky at deadspin.com had to say about today's stage:

http://deadspin.com/...manship-expectations

I haven't seen today's stage and was trying to avoid any seeing any results until I saw this headline screaming at me when made my once-every-two-months visit over to deadspin. So I read what Barry said then read through most of this post. I have no problem with AC dropping the hammer. The biggest bike race of the year is on the line. When it's time to go, you go.
Quote Reply

Prev Next