Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stability Sneakers
Quote | Reply
So I've been dealing with terrible shin splints all my life really. Haven't trained for anything since HS but recently decided to sign up for a half marathon in May and an olympic triathlon in July.

I tried to start off slow with my running to allow my muscles and tendons to get accustomed to the pounding of running and hoped my shin splints would go away. This didn't work.

I just went to a running store that I purchased my running specific insoles from to check my gait.

The guy said I have some over pronation but not all of the time but suggested I switch from my Nike Pegasus sneakers to something stability specific.

He specifically suggested the Brooks Adrenaline or the Hoka Arahi 4s.

With just a little looking around Saucony Guide, Brooks Transcend and Nike Air Zoom Structure are other models that have come up as good stability sneakers also.

I like to do my own research before making purchases so I'm coming here for some advice/suggestions/experiences.
Quote Reply
Re: Stability Sneakers [M90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would recommend the OMNI ISO 2's from Saucony. I found that they allowed my foot to strike the ground properly and and not cause excess strain on the shin (not roll inwards or outwards). After running through a couple pairs of these, I was able to transition to more neutral shoes (Freedoms, Kinvaras, Triumphs). I now alternate between neutral and stability shoes and haven't had any issues. The Guide, Hurricane and Liberty models are something to look into as well; all stability. Can you tell I am a Saucony guy?
Last edited by: lukas_will: Feb 11, 20 12:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For shin splints, in addition to icing, etc. I highly recommend compression calf sleeves. I had bad shin splints (even biking aggravated them), but wearing compression sleeves to bed for a couple weeks cleared them up. The pain is from the muscles literally pulling off the tibia; compression pushes everything together and helps it heal (like a butterfly bandage does for cuts).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've trained in stability running shoes since I started running in high school. Adrenalines for years until I went to a New Balance sponsored school and started running in the NB 860s. I like the 860s a lot except for some upper problems that a few generations had. Haven't had the same problem on the recent generations. Worth a look.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once exercise tip I received from a PT to help with shin splint issues was to do wall squats leaning against a stability/core ball with your feet dorsiflexed (pointed up so you're basically on your heels). He stated that this modification helped strengthen the muscles such that it helps relieve shin splints. While I can't say it's a magic bullet it's something to try and at least see a PT about shin splints since it seems pretty bad for you. Disclaimer: I was prescribed wall squat exercises for a different injury related to knee pain rehab but my PT mentioned it since he knew I complained of shin splints in the past.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Feb 11, 20 14:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont know if it applies to your scenario

But I found that stability shoes caused shin splints.... Running with mild pronator shoes was fine, then the stability version was on sale so I got them... Bam, shin splints.... Thought it was the training so tried them after a few months of good training again.... Bam shin splints

What i found was that any shoes where the medial support pillar goes past the arch, making the arch less flexible... Would strain my shin.... To test it I cut a scoop out of the rubber in the arch until it could flex, and then I could run easily in them. This applies to shoes that are too wide in the midfoot too...making them inflexible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always used stability shoes, the last 5 years in the saucing guide. I am 56 and started getting lower legs hurts, sore knees, etc. I have been in Hoka Arahi’s for 8 months, love them, the extra cushioning especially in the forefoot have given my legs new life. My 2 cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M90 wrote:
The guy said I have some over pronation but not all of the time but suggested I switch from my Nike Pegasus sneakers to something stability specific.
I ran in Nike Pegasus for years in college, I chose them because... Nike. I occasionally got shin splits, but it was not a regular thing for me.

Then I went to a running store that analyzes stride and recommends shoes based on physiology and mechanics. I pronate. He recommend Asics GT 2000, and those have been great for the last few decades.

Not sure what all the shoe options are, but I would lean toward a good store's recommendations. That can make a world of difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With your history of shin splints, there is something else going on and shoes won't fix it. Seek out a local physical therapist who can help diagnose the cause and provide some solutions to fixing the root of your problem(s).

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seriously doubt your shin problem is because of your shoe or pronation.

Shin splints are usually inflation of soleus muscle. Get some compression socks or calf sleeves that you can run it. It will help keep your calf muscles compressed and that helps with the inflammation. The soleus....usually the problem area.....is big, thick, and stronger in the back (posterior) of your calf. The problem is that where the soleus attaches to your shin bone its small and thin. That part gets stressed and inflamed easily compered to strong meaty part of the muscle. The thin skinny part get inflamed and its what is commonly referred to as "shin splints".

Over pronation.....as far an an injury goes.....usually shows up in your Achilles. If you pronate the "shoe dude" will always tell you to get a stability shoe which may...and I stress the word may...help.

Stability shoes are a "one size fits all" but pronaters are all different. The only way to attack pronation at the "shoe level" is with orthoitcs that fit your feet. They don't have to be custom, but that does help. You can find much cheaper ones off the shelf that may fit your feet and keep your arch from collapsing and your ankles from turning in.

If you go the orthotic rout get neutral running shoes. Don't use a stability shoe with an orthotic
Quote Reply
Re: Stability Sneakers [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just purchased some compression sleeves for my legs.

I'm going to give everything a shot so I can keep training.

But if it's simply inflammation, is this something that will ever go away? It's got to be something that can be corrected if its muscular in nature. Maybe with the stability sneakers, compression sleeves, and doing exercises/stretches, I will be able to continue training and they will slowly improve until I'm at the point I don't experience this pain anymore. That's what I'm hoping for at least.

I'm pretty sure that this running store has a 60 day return policy so if I find that the sneakers make no difference I will be able to return them. I'll find out when I go back there today.

I do run with the run specific surefeet insert for the arch I have in my foot so I have that going for me? haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike zoom structure is no longer around, replaced by the infinity react which may be worth a look.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_Infinity_P7120299/

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My only input on this subject M90 is that i love that you call them sneakers, i still do too and have been made fun of.
i've read your other posts, so good luck on your quest man!

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Stability Sneakers [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twilkas wrote:
My only input on this subject M90 is that i love that you call them sneakers, i still do too and have been made fun of.

Do triathletes only refer to them as shoes?

Damn gotta get my lingo right haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh no you dont, keep keepin it real, lingo be damned! nearly twice your age which is why i love it all the more. carry on, i'll follow you with interest, good luck with everything M90, easy to root for you!

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Stability Sneakers [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twilkas wrote:

I always called them sneakers when I was a kid, but I can't remember the last time I used that term.

What really baffles me are the people that call them "tennis shoes". Which, I guess if you are using them to play tennis applies just fine. But shoes made for tennis are certainly not going to be good for running, and vice versa.
Quote Reply
Re: Stability Sneakers [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
I seriously doubt your shin problem is because of your shoe or pronation.

Shin splints are usually inflation of soleus muscle. Get some compression socks or calf sleeves that you can run it. It will help keep your calf muscles compressed and that helps with the inflammation. The soleus....usually the problem area.....is big, thick, and stronger in the back (posterior) of your calf. The problem is that where the soleus attaches to your shin bone its small and thin. That part gets stressed and inflamed easily compered to strong meaty part of the muscle. The thin skinny part get inflamed and its what is commonly referred to as "shin splints".

Over pronation.....as far an an injury goes.....usually shows up in your Achilles. If you pronate the "shoe dude" will always tell you to get a stability shoe which may...and I stress the word may...help.

Stability shoes are a "one size fits all" but pronaters are all different. The only way to attack pronation at the "shoe level" is with orthoitcs that fit your feet. They don't have to be custom, but that does help. You can find much cheaper ones off the shelf that may fit your feet and keep your arch from collapsing and your ankles from turning in.

If you go the orthotic rout get neutral running shoes. Don't use a stability shoe with an orthotic

Is it the same for post tib shin splints, still caused by issues with soleus?

I've been battling post tib pain (above ankle) for a long time. Rest, goes away, start running, comes right back. I've tried many shoes, custom orthotics, nothing helped. Started seeing a new physio, and she didn't say much about soleus/calfs, but feels it is mostly due to my run gait, my legs crossing in and the collapsing of my foot inwards, which even she sid an orthotic is not gonna fix. So trying to drive more with the knee, land straighter, etc which I find very un-natural feeling.

This is a vid she shot from behind...

http://www.hudl.com/.../gCKBL4r0?e=20670558
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Ive been trying a heap of pairs over the Aussie summer and I am liking the Nike Infinity and NB 1080v10. Here are my thoughts.

I have moved away from Adidas and Brooks and will use these for the prep for Ironman Australia, there are a heap of other models coming out i want to try also, its bloody hard to keep up with all the shoes now.

Quote Reply