Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sports that should not be in the Olympics [zonie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must excuse the ignorant non-Americans - the solution is simple: remove all the sports that the Americans don't like.
Quote Reply
Re: Sports that should not be in the Olympics [the fonz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh and India's population of 1,103,317,000 more than covers the numbers ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/...y_population_in_2005

Thats participation covered, now what were your other points? and I mean points that have more substance than a 2 year old with his fingers jamed in his ears screaming "I am right, I can't hear you!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Again My Friend Slowdude, you are just trying to win an argument with nothing to back it up."

Zonie, I gave you stats right from the CDC website. You've given nothing but personal conjecture, accompanied by the assertion that you must be right because you've seen so much more sports than anyone else.

"But I'm just trying to stick to the facts. "

You're not doing a very good job of that.

"However, I conceeded a long time ago that I wouldn't win this argument."

Good.

"I would rather just debate about how Americans love sport more than other contries."

And there you go again, making claims you simply can not back up.

"Not that Buffalo, NY is full of fat people, or that you are embarrassed to be a citizen of the US."

You are a moron. I'm an officer in the US Navy, and certainly not "embarassed to be a citizen of the U.S." However, when people like you open your mouths to spew the crap you spewed in this thread, without any evidence of any kind to back up your ludicrous claims, I do feel embarassed for you.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Sports that should not be in the Olympics [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As a former thrower, I've just got to say that asking the throwers to go nude is a Very Bad Idea. They're a really fun crowd and great people, but they're just not, um, aesthetically pleasing for the most part, and a little bit of clothing helps a lot to hide the extra eight fat rolls on the back of shot put dude's back.

Hmm; I see your point. But you know, we have to give a little here and there, and realize that what interests others might not necessarily interest us. However, in making the suggestion, I had imagined someone more along the lines of this athlete:

But, hey, whatever floats your boat! ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you should think of this guy:

Quote Reply
Re: Sports that should not be in the Olympics [the fonz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL - that's where I went earlier today to check my facts before making unsubstantiated statements the way others, who claim to be so highly educated, have done. It's hilarious how much nonsense is emanating from this person. If I hadn't seen that they had been a member since 04 I'd swear it was a 14 year old taking on the world! I think they must have penned that theme from Team America:

"America .... f$ck yeah!"

If Mr T were here, he'd 'pity the fool'. In a bizarre way though they are entertaining
Quote Reply
Re: Sports that should not be in the Olympics [Axles of Evil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh God bless you and your pole vaulting picture. After getting wound up by Zonie, you have restored my serenity. One can always find that which they seek at ST
Quote Reply
Re: Sports that should not be in the Olympics [ironotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it a tougher sport than badglove?
Quote Reply
Re: Sports that should not be in the Olympics [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"badmitten" -- Did you really spell it that way? That's awesome.

I'm really more of a naughtyglove or evilsock fan, myself. Much more nuanced.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"That is why athletes from around the world strive to come to America to play sports"

You must be referring to :
  • David Beckham (oh wait, he did not come to America for sports, but for fame/marketing reasons)
  • Lance Armstrong (oh wait, he went to France to play sports)
  • Federer and Nadal (damn, I thought London/Wimbledon was in the US)
  • many others could be cited

Quote Reply
Re: Sports that should not be in the Olympics [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Each one of your listed sports (except handball) has stood the test of time, being around for at least 4000 years.

I think there is a bit of confusion as to how long certain sports have been around and how long the olympics have been around.

From Wikipedia:

The first recorded Olympic games were in 776 BC in Olympia, Greece and were celebrated until AD 393. The first modern international Olympic Games were in 1859. There was a 1466 year break between the last Olympics and the modern olympics.

The Olympic games originally contained one event: the stadion (or "stade") race, a short sprint measuring between 180 and 240 metres, or the length of the stadium.
The diaulos, or 2-stade race, was introduced in 724 BC, during the 14th Olympic games. The race was a single lap of the stadium, approximately 400 metres. A third foot race, the dolichos, was introduced in 720 BC. Separate accounts of the race present conflicting evidence as to the actual length of the dolichos. However, the average stated length of the race was approximately 18-24 laps, or about three miles. Over the years, more events were added: boxing (pygme/pygmachia), wrestling (pale), pankration (regulated full-contact fighting, similar to today's mixed martial arts), chariot racing, several other running events (the diaulos, hippios, dolichos, and hoplitodromos), as well as a pentathlon, consisting of wrestling, stadion, long jump, javelin throw and discus throw (the latter three were not separate events).

Why did they not bring up the chariot race in the modern olympics, or full-contact fighting? I am certain that full-contact fighting is popular in every country in the world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh my... who's that ? Hope she qualified for Beijing ?

Probably zonie could answer those questions (with a little google search) :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Sports that should not be in the Olympics [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be an underage high school girl.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alas, no male discus thrower I've met has ever looked like that. The body type definitely seemed to be football defensive lineman gone slightly to pot.
Quote Reply
Re: Sports that should not be in the Olympics [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Criquet is a very popular game in Paki, India, some of england, some of AUS, NZ, but it's hardly a world game, and it doesn't even rank near to hockey (which is just under curling in North America) as far as participation or viewship is concerned. "
Maybe, considering his masterful display of the English language, he is referring to croquet, instead of cricket?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Sports that should not be in the Olympics [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Modern MMA would be a good addition to the olympics. Popular all over the world; Asia, Europe, N.America, S.America, Australia, even Africa (to a lesser extent).
Quote Reply
Re: Sports that should not be in the Olympics [Flak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Modern MMA would be a good addition to the olympics. Popular all over the world; Asia, Europe, N.America, S.America, Australia, even Africa (to a lesser extent).
They are a LONG way from Olympic consideration. No recognized national governing bodies, no single recognized national championship, etc. (By recognized I mean by the IOC, not by the sport.)

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe if they knew that they would be performing in the nude, they would approach their diet/training regimen in a new way.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Maybe if they knew that they would be performing in the nude, they would approach their diet/training regimen in a new way.
The original olympians did. I vote we go back to that. :D

John

Quote Reply
Re: Sports that should not be in the Olympics [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"That would be an underage high school girl. "

Not anymore. Now she's a barely of age college freshman.

That's what I hear anyway.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Unreal. I will probably waste my entire day on this thread defending my opinion and not change a single mind, but at least I tried.

Yes, there is a stereotype of cubicle working, McDonald's eating, Five Sport focused, American that exist. But it is not the majority. It's just the easy target that won't get on this forum to defend themselves or travel to Europe except to go to Euro Disney.

Why do these people suck at life because they don't like watching triathlon, or the networks won't carry it because the masses won't watch it. I race and have raced for a long time. But I don't want to watch it on TV ever. Just like I don't like watching men's rec league softball on tv. Age group racing is the same as softball. Professional is less engaging that this even. I'm a professional, and he's a professional but we would never race because I don't race that month, and he won't race this month, and he goes long, I go short, and my sponsors won't pay for me to go to NY this week and my VW won't make it cross country. Try to market that to the masses. That is our situation.

I would never watch NASCAR even if I was flown to Florida, and put in the seat next to Dale Earnhart. But those fans fill tracks of 200,000 every weekend. If this debate is about passion, guess what? NASCAR wins over F-1 and Soccer and ranks up there with American football (pro and college).

The United States is so passionate about our top five, big deal. And guess what's more? We have more kids playing soccer than anywhere else in the world. Guess what's else? We have hundreds of cities like Pacific Beach, Boulder, Ann Arbor, Portland, that have fit people working out every weekend. And when they go to dinner or the bar that night after their work out, they don't have to deal with fat unhealthy smokers like you do in every other country outside of the US.
On your alledged travels around the world did you learn any foreign expressions? 'per capita' is one that springs to mind. Be a good chap and look it up :)
Quote Reply
Re: Sports that should not be in the Olympics [Topper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say that any sport that can be easily and reliable scored should be allowed to stay (archery: highest score wins, track: fastest time wins, etc.) and sports that are "judged" should be removed. I don't care how popular gymnastics and ice dancing are, the scoring aspect is subjective and thus subject to flaws, errors, and bribery. Not that I don't enjoy watching some of these sports, but I don't think they should be in the Olympics simply because of the subjective nature.

Joe Hagan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may have more degrees than you, but that doesn't give me any more rights. Wow! You'd think that with all of those degrees you would have had a basic Writing 101 class that taught you to spell correctly and cite (yes, "cite", not "site" (short for "citation")) actual research, not just your own conjecture. I defend our country By typing on an internet forum? Really? Man up and defend her on the battlefield like Slowguy and others have done.[/reply]
Quote Reply
Re: Sports that should not be in the Olympics [Focal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Not that I don't enjoy watching some of these sports, but I don't think they should be in the Olympics simply because of the subjective nature."

Just curious as to why you think an objective scoring system should be a requirement for the Olympics? Certainly you're not saying that sports with objective scoring systems aren't subject to "flaws, errors, and bribery" are you?

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Sports that should not be in the Olympics [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Just curious as to why you think an objective scoring system should be a requirement for the Olympics? Certainly you're not saying that sports with objective scoring systems aren't subject to "flaws, errors, and bribery" are you?
They are much less susceptible to it, to be sure. When someone crosses the finish line first, he or she is the clear and definite winner (unless they cheated, which can take place in any sport), but they won, one way or another. I just think it is a more pure and honest type of competition.

Joe Hagan
Quote Reply

Prev Next