Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Slowtwitch Virtual Camp: 10 Days of Easter Sat 08 April to Mon 17 April
Quote | Reply
Hey folks,

I just realized that way back in December when we did the Xmas virtual camp, we said we'd do an Easter virtual camp of 10 days. A lot of guys and gals went over 1000 pts back this winter and Kus and Lolo went just around 2000 pts (200 pts per day). The scoring system for points takes speed out of the equation so genetically gifted speed studs and MOP/BOP can all compete on an equal footing.

Here are how the pts work:
  1. Run = 60 pts per hour
  2. Swim = 45 pts per hour
  3. Indoor Bike = 45 pts per hour
  4. Weights = 45 pts per hour (and you can't count the 5 min between sets chatting up the hottie doing squats next to you...)
  5. Gym Cardio Gear = 30 pts per hour
  6. Outdoor biking = 30 pts per hour

I know lots of you are gearing up for Gulf Coast, Wildflower, Disney, St. Croix, Ironman Brazil, Lanzarote, so this would be perfect.

I guess the guys doing Ironman Arizona this weekend will get a huge leg up on us :-)

I did around 1300 pts for the Xmas camp and while I don't plan to do anything that excessive this time around, my goal will be closer to 1000pts as I plan to do several intensity session on the swim, bike and run during this week, so not really condusive to huge point totals. 100 pts per day breaks down to a very managable average of 60 min of running and 80 min of riding outdoors.

Who is in?

Triyoda, are you in or are you going to train in stealth mode?

Please post daily totals on this thread

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Virtual Camp: 10 Days of Easter Sat 08 April to Mon 17 April [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll turn off my lurk mode for this. I have this week off and hope to add a few extra hours. It'll be great motivation for this BOPer!

One question, do you have to break an hour to get points? Example, warm up-short run on treadmill (half hour) before weights....would that be 15 points?

~~~~
Nancy
~~~~
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Virtual Camp: 10 Days of Easter Sat 08 April to Mon 17 April [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll play this time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will play!

Also - do you still plan on a training weekend in Lake Placid this year? If so...any thoughts on when? I would love to participate.

http://cmkracing.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crap... you lowered the swim points. it was 75 :S grrrrrr....

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in again. Starting to ramp up for IMWI and the weather here in the great white north is looking ok for the outdoor biking. Yeeha!

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in...but 200 points a day? That's a minimum of 3:20 a day of working out. I'll probably be closer to 200 for the 10 days. Hmmm I wonder if that's why I'm so slow...

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in.
i did like the earlier system, w/more points for swimming, but i figure you have your reasons.
meanwhile: i've spent lots of time in gyms over the last 10 years, seen many hotties there...
the next time i see one of them doing squats will be the first time. maybe it's a canadian thing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in. This works perfect. Next week is supposed to be big and April 17 - 23 is a scheduled rest week. I need a little extra motivation ... Lots of races in June and July.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in, but will get a slow start, since I will be in Boston cheering on the GF Easter weekend. Hopefully the morning of the race I can run some of the course. And will have to do my long ride on Good Friday before we leave, so if you let me count that.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in. A bit of extra motivation before powerman NC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, you are going to kill me!!!

I am doing a BVW (Big Volume Week) with two frineds from April 22 to April 30. Something like 40 hours, down in Virginia. I don't think I need a Virtual camp now!

That said, I am in major training doldrums right now. First, I normally run a marathon in April, to reward the winter training program (and to ensure I do a winter training program). This year, however, no marathon, and it seems like it has become just endless months of training. I need a race! Second, too much Jack Daniels! I was putting in two quality run efforts a week, plus two quality bike efforts. A week and a half ago, I was also on Mr. Mom duty for the week as my wife was off on business. The early/late hours thing blew up in my face. I feel fat, dumb and slow and completely lacking in motivation. All I want to do is sit and eat.

So, clearly the answer is I need to do your silly Canadien Virtual Camp.

I'll see your 1000 pts and raise you 500.

Parke

(zero points for today so far)

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for playing. With respect to the reduction in points for swimming and weights, there seemed to be a general agreement that 1 hours of swimming was not equal to one hour of running (ie it takes less time to recover from a one hour swim). For the person asking about whether you have to break one hour, the answer is no. If you translate the pts, it works out to:
  1. Run = 1 point per minute
  2. Swim = 0.75 pts per min
  3. Indoor Bike = 0.75 pts per min
  4. Weights = 0.75 pts per min(and you can't count the 5 min between sets chatting up the hottie doing squats...or doing 500 crunches... next to you...)
  5. Gym Cardio Gear = 0.5 pts per min
  6. Outdoor biking = 0.5 pts per min

By the way, I have seen lots of canuck ladies at the squat rack (unapproved by Ken Lehner). Perhaps this is why our girls haul ass in speedskating, road, track and mountain bikeing and XC skiing...

OK, my totals for today (all done as a continuous workout)
  1. 60 min on the rollers focusing on 100 RPM riding with PC's = 45 pts
  2. 105 minute run with 5x800m in 3:05-3:10, leaving on 5 min with a 1:50-1:55 recovery jog in between = 105 pts
  3. 20 min leg weights (step ups, leg extensions, calf raise circuit) = 15 pts
  4. 30 min trainer ride with 5x3min@225-275W (1 min aero spin 100RPM, 1 min aero 65 RPM, 1 min standing), with 2 min recovery at 90-100 RPM 150W = 22.5 pts

Total = 177 pts

Tomorrow it is supposed to be minus 5 and sunny, so I will likely do 2 hours on the trainer and then head out when it warms up a bit for 2 more hours on the road (all Z1). If I get motivated, I'll tack on 30 min transition run. I am encouraged in that I have ran 5 days in a row. This week was supposed to be bike focus, but the weather was horrible (rain, snow and generally around zero early morning), so I had to flip to run focus (so far 85K or running this week, which is 2.5 times my winter average).

I'm using my weekends for a bit more volume than the 100 pts per day average and during the week I will focus on intensity
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dunno, I think I am getting some bad karma. It just started snowing!

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dammit, I don't get as many points for swimming now!!!

Zero points today -- rest day to end a very low volume recovery week -- but now I'm all ready to start overtraining again!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Virtual Camp: 10 Days of Easter Sat 08 April to Mon 17 April [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkito, tell me about it. I put my XC skis away last Sunday and since then it has been around zero and either raining or snowing. At least today it was sunny, but minus 7 and quite windy. I need some heat before St. Croix. Might need to do a few 1 hour treadmill runs with the parka on to get ready for heat...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice way to start off!

I feel like a slacker :P that's ok.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Virtual Camp: 10 Days of Easter Sat 08 April to Mon 17 April [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The weather is getting better now, so we don't need to emphasize swimming and weights lilke we did in the Xmas camp (regardless, I did zero swimming in that camp...). Seriously though the pts were quite generous for swimming last time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah I know, I agree that swimming should be less than running -- an hour of running is much 'harder' than an hour of swimming.

But the swimming points worked so nicely for me last time!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey folks,

I just realized that way back in December when we did the Xmas virtual camp, we said we'd do an Easter virtual camp of 10 days. A lot of guys and gals went over 1000 pts back this winter and Kus and Lolo went just around 2000 pts (200 pts per day). The scoring system for points takes speed out of the equation so genetically gifted speed studs and MOP/BOP can all compete on an equal footing.

Here are how the pts work:
  1. Run = 60 pts per hour
  2. Swim = 45 pts per hour
  3. Indoor Bike = 45 pts per hour
  4. Weights = 45 pts per hour (and you can't count the 5 min between sets chatting up the hottie doing squats next to you...)
  5. Gym Cardio Gear = 30 pts per hour
  6. Outdoor biking = 30 pts per hour

I know lots of you are gearing up for Gulf Coast, Wildflower, Disney, St. Croix, Ironman Brazil, Lanzarote, so this would be perfect.

I guess the guys doing Ironman Arizona this weekend will get a huge leg up on us :-)

I did around 1300 pts for the Xmas camp and while I don't plan to do anything that excessive this time around, my goal will be closer to 1000pts as I plan to do several intensity session on the swim, bike and run during this week, so not really condusive to huge point totals. 100 pts per day breaks down to a very managable average of 60 min of running and 80 min of riding outdoors.

Who is in?

Triyoda, are you in or are you going to train in stealth mode?

Please post daily totals on this thread

Dev

Sounds good. That is a run focus week for me so I will rack up the points. Need to add some other ways to get points.
  1. Drink (beer or wine) = 5 pts for first drink in a one hour period
  2. Drink (beer or wine) = 10 pts for second drink in a one hour period
  3. Drink (beer or wine) = 15 pts for third drink in a one hour period
  4. Drink (beer or wine) = 20 pts for fourth drink in a one hour period
  5. Points are capped at 50 per hour max (Need to be a little bit responsible;)
  6. Shots = 10 pts each (no hourly limit)

Example: I drink 3 beers and do one shot while at the bar for one hour = 5 + 10 + 15 + 10 = 50 points.

This scoring system should encourage efficient drinking, since we still need time to train.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Virtual Camp: 10 Days of Easter Sat 08 April to Mon 17 April [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds good. That is a run focus week for me so I will rack up the points. Need to add some other ways to get points.
  1. Drink (beer or wine) = 5 pts for first drink in a one hour period
  2. Drink (beer or wine) = 10 pts for second drink in a one hour period
  3. Drink (beer or wine) = 15 pts for third drink in a one hour period
  4. Drink (beer or wine) = 20 pts for fourth drink in a one hour period
  5. Points are capped at 50 per hour max (Need to be a little bit responsible;)
  6. Shots = 10 pts each (no hourly limit)

Ok, now how do you score pizza? By the slice? Bonus for the whole pie? Double bonus for the whole pie in under an hour??

I am a light weight with the beer and wine, but pizzas are considered an endangered species around me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in. Good kick off, Honu just 8 weeks away.

Aloha,

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Dev

Day 1 totals

1 hour swim - some steady drill and recovery work since yesterday was a hard one - 45 points

1 hour steady run - 60 points

2.5 hour ride outdoors (0 degrees C to start so it was a bit chilly but sunny at least) - 75 points

.... for a 180 point day 1 which is a good start I guess

This should keep me motivated for the next week :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, I'm in as well. My totals won't be great since I am focusing on the indianapolis Half Marathon and haven't been swimming or biking much.

Today:
1 hour run with 5 miles being at 6:48 pace. That's my goal pace for the 1/2 marathon: 60pts
Outdoor spin on bike, easy, some ILT: 20pts.

Total: 80 pts.

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sat Apr 8th:

1:45 run: 105 pts

30 min core: 22.5 pts

Total : 127.5
Quote Reply

Prev Next