Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Thanks.

I have a 10 speed sram setup, what would be a good rear mech to run a 32 on?

I am not familiar with 10 speed at all - you are going to probably need a mid-cage RD though.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [GTOscott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll echo the no-drops. I have used both Wolf Tooth and Sram X-Sync chainrings and the only time I have ever dropped a chain is in a crash (CX race).

I commute daily through San Francisco and dropping/hopping curbs, crossing train tracks, potholes, terrible pavement, etc has not led to any drops. Only used standard Shimano and SRAM derailleurs without a clutch.

If you use a narrow/wide ring, you do NOT need a clutch for chain retention.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am running a 46t front ring matched up to a 11/28 rear. For training rides this has been OK for now. I have done some training rides on the course for my next race and I am finding that I am not needing anything more than my 23 so I am thinking about running an 11/23 for that race and keeping it tighter spacing for the race.

I am still playing with the set up but maybe a 50t front ring as well would be a nice option to have as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I think I'm going to put a SRAM wifli on there

Thanks for all the info everyone.
I think I'm going to go with a 32 at the back and a 50 on the front.

I'm a bit of a spinner, owing maybe to the short cranks, 155s. I risk losing a bit of easy leverage in the saddle if I slow down on hills. So I think it's best to go with caution!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I've been looking at the courses

One of them has a longish section of 7% grade but that's about it.

The other has lots of short sharp hills, mostly only 0.5k long, around 7-8% but one has a 12% section in.

I've never been good at judging hills but 12% is fairly high!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Thanks, I think I'm going to put a SRAM wifli on there

Thanks for all the info everyone.
I think I'm going to go with a 32 at the back and a 50 on the front.

I'm a bit of a spinner, owing maybe to the short cranks, 155s. I risk losing a bit of easy leverage in the saddle if I slow down on hills. So I think it's best to go with caution!

155 cranks then definitely a 50. When I was on 162.5 I had a 52t and that was plenty. Even at 165 I used a 52t for some time. When I went back up to 172.5 I bumped up to 54t

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Can anyone recommend a chaining, 50t in 130bcd?
All the sram x sync ones seem to be 11bcd for 50t
Last edited by: Tomato: Jun 1, 16 8:11
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [Tomato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tomato wrote:

Can anyone recommend a chaining, 50t in 130bcd?
All the sram x sync ones seem to be 11bcd for 50t

I was going to say Wolf Tooth but it looks like they only have 44t and 52t and nothing in between? I take it you have a crank that is also a power meter?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have P1 pedals.
My cranks aren't as short as the OP - I use 165, but figure I could do with a 50t. The cranks are a bit special so I don't want to change BCD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't get over the fact that we have an apparently 5w/kg ametuer triathlete here. Can't be many of those around even on ST :)

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me?

There are plenty around surely.

Here goes the front door brag, and the explanation.

FTP around 360-380, tends to vary a little but tests indicate.

This is also going uphill, in aero I'm shocking!

Weight 69-71kg.

CdA - 0.26!! 0.26 dammit! This is post wind tunnel!

Have I solved your mystery?
Last edited by: TriByran: Jun 1, 16 8:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your front door brag is well earned.

I don't think there are hardly any age groupers. A few sure.

I live right outside Minneapolis / St. Paul. There are some very fast triathletes here. A few that are generally in the running for Triathlete of the year / etc. I can't imagine anyone is 5w/kg.

I am close on a road bike, but I can't touch it in the TT position. 5 w/kg on a road bike seems like a completely different ball game to many of us than 5w/kg on a TT bike which to me makes it super impressive.

Unless I'm completely in the dark I don't think the top pros are making much over a legit 5w/kg on their TT bike. I think even Lionel is only like 5.3 on his potentially happy Powertap pedals?

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another quick question.

If I was to run a 52, just so I could use it for TTing, I would use a 32 at the back.
The jumps on this are huge,

Can you in theory run half a climbing cassette - so the top 3 sprockets being 25-28-32 and then using the bottom set from a normal cassette so something like 11-18.
Would that jump from the 25 to the 18 cause too many issues?
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do y'all size your chains? I'm going to be using a 50t, 11-32, and 6870 DI2 Ultegra (med cage). Does SRAM's "big-big plus 4*" apply to this drive-train as well?

*Is the quicklink included in this 4 or not?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd rather take the gradual jumps of the stock cassette than a huge jump mid-cassette.

But then again, I've been riding a 10-speed 11-28 for ages, and SRAM 1x 10-42 off-road, so maybe I'm just less bothered by small jumps.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a 10 speed 11-32 set up I ran a standard SRAM Force mid-cage RD (also worked on an 11sp set up)

The new SRAM X1 Force and Rival (clutch) RD's are compatible with both 10 & 11 speed. I changed to an X1 Rival RD as I did get one or two chain drops with the standard RD (very rare, however). Since then I haven't dropped a chain once.

Oh and my current set up is a 54 front, 11-32 rear 11sp.

My ideal cassette ratio would be the following, alas I can't find one anywhere... :(

11-12-13-14-16-18-21-24-27-30-34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a 52T ring and 11-28 for racing. 11-32 for training or hilly races. Perfect for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [Synnove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did big big plus 2 then the quick link. I think that's what shimano prescribes? Maybe arts cyclery? Forgot where but that's what I did and so far so good! Don't want it too tight but also didn't want it too slack since 11-32 is a big gap. But honestly not sure how much of a difference the extra two links make.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I changed to a 50/34, 11/25 170mm 9-speed (I'll post my "budget build" shortly). I was previously using 53/39, 175mm. Position feels better but the race this weekend will be the test I guess. I'm between 250-250 ftp on the powerbeam.

Btw, I need to get some good tips on how to ride time trials (I'm trying to change from a swim focus to bike focus). Looks like here is a good place. 350ftp and up?? Damn man that's as fast as Justin Rossi. I just saw the trainer road videos on YouTube and he averaged like 370 watts for the Nationals 40k tt!! Awesome video btw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Another quick question.

If I was to run a 52, just so I could use it for TTing, I would use a 32 at the back.
The jumps on this are huge,

Can you in theory run half a climbing cassette - so the top 3 sprockets being 25-28-32 and then using the bottom set from a normal cassette so something like 11-18.
Would that jump from the 25 to the 18 cause too many issues?

No experience with this aspect sorry. As for jumps not the big of a deal IMO. Don't even notice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to bring this up again.

I'm considering converting to 11spd, it will cost a considerable amount as I currently have a set of 10spd zipp 808s.
With all the extra money and faff, is it worth it for 1 extra gear?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope.....train more or lose weight, get a better skin suit or helmet....just my two cents.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wtf has that got to do with the question?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by TizzleDK [ In reply to ]
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The questions was specific to the thread regarding 1x setup, and going from 10-11 to give the extra range.

It has nothing to do with anything you mentioned, so what you said was stupid and a typical I'm going to ignore your question and try and put you down.
Quote Reply

Prev Next