Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim?
Quote | Reply
https://www.chicagotriathlon.com/.../08/24/event-update/

Definitely not cool. Nationals now this. Why not just shorten the swim for every race? Sorry I'm venting. I like swimming

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that sucks. Still good luck tomorrow and get after it!
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
https://www.chicagotriathlon.com/2019/08/24/event-update/

Definitely not cool. Nationals now this. Why not just shorten the swim for every race? Sorry I'm venting. I like swimming

Go to a Masters meet. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1989 or before I'm afraid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t get it - if it’s just a matter of not being able to place buoys past a certain point in the course, why not just do 2 loops of the 750m.
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good one! Made me laugh!
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sprint distance swim is point-to-point. You’d end up in the wrong spot.

Move on. Keep training. Be an adult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chattanooga 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why can't they have people do two 750m loops?

This trend of shortening swims...just make triathlon bike-run (duathlon?) and be done with it.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks, my two biggest races this year were shortened swims also. It’s hard to compete as a relatively strong swimmer when you’re constantly getting neutralized. I vote for shortening runs.
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:

This trend of shortening swims...just make triathlon bike-run (duathlon?) and be done with it.

Too many people.
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:

That's what they ended up doing.

https://www.chicagotriathlon.com/...8/25/swim-cancelled/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Olympics? 😉

Actually, that may not even do it.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MBaier wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:

That's what they ended up doing.

https://www.chicagotriathlon.com/...8/25/swim-cancelled/

That water was definitely choppy, but looked swimmable to me. I was just thinking... aren’t these the guys the canceled NYC because it was hot? Not sure I’ll travel to another of their events, they’re standards for this stuff are weak, even compared to WTC.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer. Understand your frustration. Swimming in Lake Michigan downtown is definitely a major attraction to doing the Chicago race compared to swimming in your typical small lake.

I had issues with Cleveland nats for choosing to have the swim in a non-protected part of the lake, but this cancellation shows that a protected harbor doesn't prevent swim cancellations.

I remember some turbulent swims in Chicago tris I did in the '80s and '90s that weren't shortened or cancelled, but maybe that's just nostalgic embellishment.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 25, 19 8:27
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A different part of the lake but this is what the Open Water Chicago said about this AM:

"L1 UPDATE: 73.4F lake temp, 62F air temp. We took a beating from the vigorous swells and chops, but it was a heck of a lot more pleasant in the water then outside!"

I saw some videos of lake from friends and it didn't look too bad. I've definitely swam in worse conditions, but I somewhat understand why it was cancelled. There are so many bad swimmers out there. For example, I recently saw a guy wearing a cap from last years race tarzan swimming the whole time. I spectated one year and there were people swimming almost perpendicular to the the course. With that many people it would have been a cluster.

I feel differently about Nationals since everyone there should be at least a decent swimmer.
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let’s hope that they don’t cancel Big Shoulders again this year!
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
The Olympics? 😉

Actually, that may not even do it.

Nah, ITU won't mind the elites swimming through filth or in 90* water....but those para-athletes, there swim portions will get cancelled.

See last week in Tokyo. Somehow the elites who raced Thur/Fri could swim. The Para couldnt swim on Saturday, but oh yeah the MTR (new Olympic sport) could swim again on Sunday.....

#nothingtoseehere

#movealong

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Chattanooga 70.3

Nice!
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
Chattanooga 70.3

Nice!

Winner!

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim?

Australia?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the Rocketman Oly yesterday in Huntsville Alabama. Swim was in the Tennessee River, 750 upstream, out to the middle, shoot 750 back with the current. I was having to watch the trees on the shore a couple of times, to make sure I wasn't going backwards...that yellow turn buoy was a bear to get to.

Good example of a great local race. Had about 300 racers, Tri, Du, swim-bike. Made a point of inviting a bunch of college tri teams. Free pictures, beer at the finish.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean you can read into it what you want but they said chop plus the water levels made it a problem. I saw a lot of bad swimmers already really close to the sea wall 2 years ago with a pretty calm day, so I can understand the worry there II guess

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well maybe those people shouldn't be allowed to enter so people who actually can swim, want to swim and work hard on their swims to compete in a triathlon do not have to do a duathlon! USAT and the race directors cater to the wannabe triathletes, swimwussies!
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [2brokenhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm kind of torn overall on this topic. I was very upset about Nationals being shortened. I mean it's Nationals people should be competent swimmers. However, Chicago is not even a USAT sanctioned event. Lifetime dropped sanctioning. Lifetime was initially offering an option to change to a duathlon the morning of the race. I really liked that. Chicago Tri is a very beginner friendly event. I was doing the race with my wife and it was her first Olympic tri. She is the definition of a beginner swimmer. We started swimming together in January and she had never done 25 yards of free before. However, she worked really really hard and was totally ready for the race. She was not going to swim fast probably ~40min/1500m, but she was ready to swim. So many others are not ready to do that. We need to have events that are beginner friendly. We need to get more athletes involved in triathlon. Lifetime threw a great party and made it a fun event. I just would've rather swam and it was the last tri of the year I was planning on racing. However, now I'm trying to figure out another race where my wife and I can actually swim. She's put in too much effort not to complete her first legit Olympic distance. Good news is she really enjoyed the race. Bad news is she now wants to graduate from her endurance road frame with clip-ons and buy a tri bike. So, I need to cut my triathlon bugdet in half going forward.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply

Prev Next