Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve always wished the sport required you to do a graduated system of races.

Pool sprint- open water sprint- olympic- 70 - 140

That way you have the background practice to atleast complete it and the experience. There’s not much difference in 1500m vs 70 swim so once that Olympic distance is completely your pretty much ready for LC.

It’s the people who do 1 sprint and then go into LC that drive me nuts. They are the ones that can become endangered and put everyone in risk because resources are used on them when in reality they just aren’t ready yet.

But of course when your biggest race in your sport is catering to “anyone can do this” well you get what you get.

And of course no one will have the backbone or cajones to tell customers “no”. So now we are in that situation where events are just completely being morphed.

ETA: So I completely get why races are going soft. Hell it’s why I don’t see how anyone would want to be an RD. I’ve have no hair before even half way of the swim leg. So I can totally see why they cut it almost any chance they can. It’s their ass on the line in the event of deaths and potential lawsuits etc for neglect. That’s a headache I’d want no part of.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 26, 19 9:33
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [2brokenhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
And of course no one will have the backbone or cajones to tell customers “no”.

Plenty of races do this, particularly long-course... just not WTC.
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that an oxymoron “plenty” of long course non-IM events? How many are out there?

My views on cancelled swims isn’t even an WTC thing it’s happening with lots of races.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 27, 19 4:07
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not directed at you but anyone has complaining seen the water levels where the swim is held? Lake Michigan is crazy high this year and the wind and water levels had the water level flowing over the barriers and onto the run course. I figured they’d just do the sprint since it’s point to point but then saw videos and no way that was a safe swim course on Sunday.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can always do the LTF Tempe race. Of course it may be > 100F on the run like last year but you'll get your swim in!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The water level was a real problem. I agree. The breakwall just isn't as effective when the outside waves are splashing over the top. However, It wasn't really awful. By race start it was probably about 1 ft max chop. It's just the level of swimmer overall in triathlon is relatively poor and we are going to have a lot of cancelled/shortened swims. I don't know the answer to the problem. Just maybe having multiple divisions with more advanced swimmers vs less skilled? Oh well, I guess I'm glad the swim was cancelled in the end. I broke my chain coming out of Lower Whacker. So, if I would've been on pace for a legit PR when that I happened I would've been even more mad. lol

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
You can always do the LTF Tempe race. Of course it may be > 100F on the run like last year but you'll get your swim in!

Yeah, but with a dewpoint in the 50s. 😊
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
I'm kind of torn overall on this topic. I was very upset about Nationals being shortened. I mean it's Nationals people should be competent swimmers. However, Chicago is not even a USAT sanctioned event. Lifetime dropped sanctioning. Lifetime was initially offering an option to change to a duathlon the morning of the race. I really liked that. Chicago Tri is a very beginner friendly event. I was doing the race with my wife and it was her first Olympic tri. She is the definition of a beginner swimmer. We started swimming together in January and she had never done 25 yards of free before. However, she worked really really hard and was totally ready for the race. She was not going to swim fast probably ~40min/1500m, but she was ready to swim. So many others are not ready to do that. We need to have events that are beginner friendly. We need to get more athletes involved in triathlon. Lifetime threw a great party and made it a fun event. I just would've rather swam and it was the last tri of the year I was planning on racing. However, now I'm trying to figure out another race where my wife and I can actually swim. She's put in too much effort not to complete her first legit Olympic distance. Good news is she really enjoyed the race. Bad news is she now wants to graduate from her endurance road frame with clip-ons and buy a tri bike. So, I need to cut my triathlon bugdet in half going forward.
If you are local to Chicago there is the North Shore Triathlon (sprint or super-sprint) out of Gillson Beach in Wilmette or the Fontana Triathlon on Lake Geneva (sprint or olympic distance). Both are middle of September.
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MBaier wrote:
TriRugby wrote:
I'm kind of torn overall on this topic. I was very upset about Nationals being shortened. I mean it's Nationals people should be competent swimmers. However, Chicago is not even a USAT sanctioned event. Lifetime dropped sanctioning. Lifetime was initially offering an option to change to a duathlon the morning of the race. I really liked that. Chicago Tri is a very beginner friendly event. I was doing the race with my wife and it was her first Olympic tri. She is the definition of a beginner swimmer. We started swimming together in January and she had never done 25 yards of free before. However, she worked really really hard and was totally ready for the race. She was not going to swim fast probably ~40min/1500m, but she was ready to swim. So many others are not ready to do that. We need to have events that are beginner friendly. We need to get more athletes involved in triathlon. Lifetime threw a great party and made it a fun event. I just would've rather swam and it was the last tri of the year I was planning on racing. However, now I'm trying to figure out another race where my wife and I can actually swim. She's put in too much effort not to complete her first legit Olympic distance. Good news is she really enjoyed the race. Bad news is she now wants to graduate from her endurance road frame with clip-ons and buy a tri bike. So, I need to cut my triathlon bugdet in half going forward.

If you are local to Chicago there is the North Shore Triathlon (sprint or super-sprint) out of Gillson Beach in Wilmette or the Fontana Triathlon on Lake Geneva (sprint or olympic distance). Both are middle of September.

North Shore is a really fun event, worth noting that swim there is only 500m for the sprint. They have a $20 off registration coupon on their facebook page.
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [Beverd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beverd wrote:
MBaier wrote:
TriRugby wrote:

North Shore is a really fun event, worth noting that swim there is only 500m for the sprint. They have a $20 off registration coupon on their facebook page.
Darn, I signed up the other day and didn't realize that. Oh well, Craig is a good guy and it is a well run event.
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously, where do I need to go to actually get a full olympic swim? [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MBaier wrote:
Beverd wrote:
MBaier wrote:
TriRugby wrote:

Darn, I signed up the other day and didn't realize that. Oh well, Craig is a good guy and it is a well run event.

I signed up last week and missed the coupon too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St. Paul Triathlon. The swim this year I clocked in at 2300 meters, and I must have swum some pretty straight lines as others were showing as much as 2500! (Bike was a bit short though at 24km). So this "Oly" actually ended up being essentially an equilateral triathlon, where my times were essentially 40/40/40.
Quote Reply

Prev Next