Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [lokiddp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any updates on flat stem availability?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [PlacidPirate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should be available by the end of this month/beginning of next from what Scott tells me.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [masa757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone tell me if there are fit issues to build this bike up with Di2 across the board? And where would the battery pack be located? Personally just not a fan of SRAM after having it on a previous bike. Love my Shimano and am thinking Di2 for my next bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to replace the stem on my Plasma Premium since one of the bolt hole threads that hold the base bar secure stripped out. No matter how tight I made the remaining 3 screws the base bar was rotating every bump.

I decided that I'd rather not wait for the rumored flat stem to be sold by Scott because I want this fixed before IM FL. So I thought I'd give the TriRig Sigma stem a shot and see if it fits.

First the good news - there are no problems with the bolts on the back of the stem clearing the frame. The angle of the steer tube is correct with the angle of the stem, so that the top of the stem is flat.

Now for the bad news - there is rubbing between the stem and the tip of the frame, just behind the brake cable hole in the stem. However I was able to avoid the problem by cutting two spacers and installing them between the top steer tube bearing and the stem. With those in place, there is a small gap between the stem and frame, and the bike turns without rubbing.

I have taken before and after photos and uploaded them here:

Imgur Album

For those that are impatient, here is the before and after:

Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [jwilso2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that how it sits, jutting above the frame or is the stem cap piece just not seated properly?

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's just how it sits. You could always leave off the cable cover.

This is how it looks without the cover. You can see the steer tube cap is installed correctly. Personally, I found wiring with this stem incredibly easy, even more so compared to the nightmare that was custom modding the original stem to fit this custom Di2 setup through it.

Last edited by: jwilso2: Sep 26, 13 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [jwilso2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That stem is screaming for a Scott Plasma specific wire cover that'll sit flush with the frame. I share your pain with the stripped bolts.... its a daily thing with me. :/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know if there is any update on this?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [stodr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. I was told in an email they would become available by late Sept. but im assuming since your asking, that this never happened. Your best bet would be to email Scott inquiring about the availability and if they've got one sittin' around that you can $pay$ them for. I told them a few months back that I was seriously desperate for one and willing to pay up to $400 for it so they sent me their frankenstein unfinished version for a few hundred bucks which is why It did not slip right on for an easy install. Although the stripped head of the bolt in the top cap didn't help me either but that was not the stems fault rather a really pathetic metal bolt that rusted from my sweat and deformed over a months time. I had to rape my top cap with an electric drillbit just to get that bolt out of there so I will probably be looking to buy a new flat stem myself just for peace of mind. If you don't want to go through the trouble of contacting Scott just let me know and I will get in touch with them again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks emailed them
We will see what happens
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep us posted! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new flat stem can be seen on the pros bikes at Kona. Slightly different design to the old flat stem. Can't see that it can accommodate full internal Di2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prospective owner here, and i have a few question re: stem and other things.

1. Has anyone managed to run an off-the-shelf Shimano PRO stem on the plasma premium? I presume that all the pictures of the PRO stem i've seen are actually the specially made stems for the HTC team?

2. What brakes are you guys using for the rear, and how hard is it to adjust it going from a narrow training wheel to a wider racing wheel?

3. This will be my first TT bike and i don't have anything to go off. But rough estimation, i currently ride a Scott Foil (size 52) with a reach of 384 mm and running a 100 mm, -6 degree stem slammed on the headset. The Plasma Premium in small has a reach of 390 mm. I would assume that this bike wouldn't be too "large" for me given that i'd most likely use a shorter stem and have a more forward position, correct?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the PRO stems for Scott Plasma's are in fact race team only editions for some dumb reason. Although I've seen nobody run the standard shimano pro stem my basic assumption would be that it will fit but not flush. From my understanding after looking at the Standard PRO missle stem is that it has a slight rise and is not a 100% flat stem. I could be mistaken but I do recall reading this somewhere. I couldn't find pictures of it anywhere I looked either. Those PRO stems on HTC's bikes are golden, I really dont understand why Scott didn't make them available to everybody... its like passing up on a gold mine.

As far as fitting goes, I can't help much there but I can say that the Small/medium come with 75mm and large with 90mm
Last edited by: masa757: Oct 14, 13 14:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To answer your questions:

1. I have not, I was lucky enough to source a HTC flat stem though.

2. DA 7800 brakes. There are some other models that will fit, but most won't. I don't know all the different brakes that will fit although I think it's been answered in this or a different thread. FWIW I've run a standard, an Egg and a Tri Rig Omega brake on the front. The TR Omega is the current brake of choice.

3. There is a fitting sheet somewhere on here iirc. I believe you just plug everything in and it spits out the data. Maybe Jaymz posted it? It's important to get the reach correct since there are less than a handful of stems for this bike.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you both for the response.

As for the stack and reach, i have seen the spreadsheet. But given that i don't have prior data (just a road bike), what could I glean from it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yea I use a 2013 Shimano Da7900 with very minimal clearance on a Rotor 3d TT crankset. Thought I'd mention since few people seem to run it on the Scott Plasma Premium. The fact that its color scheme is a perfect match for the 2013 plasma is a plus too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Prospective owner here, and i have a few question re: stem and other things..

1. Don't know.
2. Dura Ace 7800. I have a clean used one for sale if required.
3. Definitely get a bike fit.

Someone mentioned stems but got them round the wrong way I think. The small and medium come with 75mm, the large comes with 90mm.

Also, with the Plasma Reach is really the important figure. The stack is hugely adjustable by most modern aerobars. The bike us designed to get relatively low so not really suitable for the 'I have the bars really high due to my bad back' crowd. I have a very high stack figure and am great with a 3T Brezza and 60mm risers, I move between 60 and 50 / 40mm depending on race types.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes thats right, small medium 75mm and large 90mm! I was wrong about that, I've been off lately :/
Last edited by: masa757: Oct 14, 13 14:52
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [Tryin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Di2 question and can't seem to get a straight answer. I have a 2013 Scott Plasma 3 premium and am currently running SRAM red. I want to move over to Di2 but am not 100% sure if the bike is set up to do this stock. I assume I'll need to plug some of the cable holes and I found 2 holes under the BB for mounting (although I'll likely go with the smaller batter in the seat post). Anyone else done a Di2 build with this year frame that can shed some light? Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
masa757 wrote:

Got my flat stem from Scott today. I get a picture with it on my bike soon. Cost $180
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice, thanks for the update. I need to buy another one. I paid $250 just to have mine a couple months ago. Nice to know they're right under the $200 mark.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stodr wrote:
masa757 wrote:

Got my flat stem from Scott today. I get a picture with it on my bike soon. Cost $180

Did you have to buy it directly from Scott or could your LBS order it?

Sponsored By Jack and Adams Bicycles
Austin, TX
http://www.jackandadams.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So this is a real thing then, or still some super-secret one off?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [Blazier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blazier wrote:
stodr wrote:
masa757 wrote:

Did you have to buy it directly from Scott or could your LBS order it?

Yes your LBS has to order it. They have to call bob in the waranty department
Quote Reply

Prev Next