Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SWIM/RUN Essentials [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
doing my first on Saturday... have my old
Orca sleeveless wetsuit with the legs cut to look like the old speedo kneeskins ... teather is not mandatory for this event ... is it recommended?
3.2k of swimming and 9.6k of running so not drastic. Got a pair of NB minimus trail shoes that have a sock type liner and a flexible heel that shoe help keep my toes pointed... going to do some testing with my partner on Friday at the venue.

Bo - How did you manage to find a partner who can swim with you??? Did you drag him/her through the swims and then he/she dragged you through the runs??? Also, did you bother with paddles and/or a pull buoy??? How many miles/km were you running during the last 6-8 wks before this race??? 9.6 K on trails with bad footing and lots of hills is prob like around 12-13 K on flat track with good footing, so i would think you would have wanted to be running at least 40 K/wk.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM/RUN Essentials [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last 6 weeks I have been running 3-4x mostly in the 6-8km range with some slightly longer runs of 9-11 k. So pretty low mileage. My racing partner Jake is 17 and swims with one of the local clubs, he had raced youth and Jr Tri but has not run much in the last year. I did use #2 strokemaker paddles and the colting calf sleeves instead of a pullbuoy. The venue was a suburban lake community so it was not a really hard course. It was super fun and I have found a there are some events that do allow solo racers as well. I will be back for sure ....

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM/RUN Essentials [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
The last 6 weeks I have been running 3-4x mostly in the 6-8km range with some slightly longer runs of 9-11 k. So pretty low mileage. My racing partner Jake is 17 and swims with one of the local clubs, he had raced youth and Jr Tri but has not run much in the last year. I did use #2 strokemaker paddles and the colting calf sleeves instead of a pullbuoy. The venue was a suburban lake community so it was not a really hard course. It was super fun and I have found a there are some events that do allow solo racers as well. I will be back for sure ....

Ah, you recruited a young guy, that makes sense!!! Thanks for the info!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM/RUN Essentials [golden9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am bringing back this topic because I am looking for shoes specific for an Ultra swimrun (more than 50 km run). I know from experience that I need the cushioning, but I like stable and agressive (fast) shoes. I wish I can use the Salomon S\Lab Ultra but I am not sure how they drain, and how good is the grip (the surface of the terrain is slippery). Suggestions ?
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM/RUN Essentials [golden9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd also add, once you've figured out a good way to bungee the pull buoy to your thigh, write the distances of each leg on it so you can keep track of progress and know what lies ahead. This becomes really helpful about halfway through!

I did my first few in an old tri wetsuit rather than a special swimrun one. Didn't zip down at the front, but I cut the legs and arms down so it was cool enough.

Chop Nutrition http://www.chopnutrition.com (UK only)
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM/RUN Essentials [Morro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most shoes drain well and that is true for the SLab ones too. I have raced in Salomon Speedcross and no draining issue. Which 50k plus race? Also wear wool socks that go above the ankles
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM/RUN Essentials [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Herbert. I take your advice and maybe buy the Ultra...(I don't have it yet) . Not planning to buy the Amphib since I see it more for something less than 30 km. I've done lot of swimruns, but still adjusting shoes to my needs.
I am doing the Otillo World Champ. I just wanted to stay incognito ha ha !
Last edited by: Morro: Aug 6, 21 8:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is awesome. Best of luck

I have both the Ultra and the Ultra 3 - I slightly prefer the 3 of those. Love the closure of the Salomons - no untied shoe laces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morro wrote:
I am bringing back this topic because I am looking for shoes specific for an Ultra swimrun (more than 50 km run). I know from experience that I need the cushioning, but I like stable and agressive (fast) shoes. I wish I can use the Salomon S\Lab Ultra but I am not sure how they drain, and how good is the grip (the surface of the terrain is slippery). Suggestions ?

I, too, would love to know what 50K swimrun event you speak of.. sounds veeeeerrry interesting.

As for the Salomon Ultas, I have swimrun in the S/Lab Ultra 3 shoes and they're pretty good, but definitely don't drain as well as the Amphibs (nothing does). However, I didn't think the Ultras were terrible enough to stop training in them. I'd recommend them.

http://www.SpeedyLizard.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next