Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SWIM/RUN Essentials
Quote | Reply
For all of you who have some experience with swim/run races similar to Otillo, what are the essentials for gear and also what are your lessons learned?
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM/RUN Essentials [golden9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Less is Best" is a commonly heard mantra from most teams. There is enough support in terms of nutrition and hydration on most credible courses that you do not need to pack much. Go with whatever mandatory equipment is required by the race.

For equipment you'll need to assess your own skills, especially in the swim leg. If you are a durable, power swimmer, then go with both pull buoy and paddles. Both will help offset the drag of wearing shoes through the swim.

Otherwise, a swimrun specific wetsuit like a blueseventy Alliance (zipper in front) is advisable. If you're seriously unsure you'll ever do another (yeah right, you'll be hooked) then just go with your tri wetsuit and realize you'll lose lots of time in the transitions and likely will overheat.

Shoes should be lightweight and easy to drain water. Most lightweight trail shoes are quite good these days...Salomon, Icebug, INOV-8, Salming, Hoka One One Jawz. Want to get a swimrun specific shoes. Vivobarefoot is your ticket.

Last but not least, assess the difference in skill level between you and your partner. You might want to bring a tether which will help to neutralize any weaknesses as the "weaker athlete" will receive an assist from the tether.

You will have a blast!

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM/RUN Essentials [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the thoughtful advice!

Of the shoes you mention, is there one that comes to mind that offers the most structure?

I realize this contradicts the general requirement for a “light shoe that drains well”. However, a tender plantar fascia forces me to trade some performance for stability and protection.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timely thread! I recently committed to Swim-Run San Juan Islands.

Which race are you considering?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM/RUN Essentials [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI I just tried out the Hoka Evo Jaws. They are not advertised as a swimrun specific shoe, but a couple reviews I saw from people said they have worked well for that purpose. They fit really well and had more cushion and structure than the icebug and salamon shoes that I had previously tried. They are not a super cushion shoe like Mafate or Bondis by any means, but they are certainly enough to feel comfortable on distance runs and low enough profile for the swim portions.
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM/RUN Essentials [Greenbean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks for the tip. The Bondi is my daily trainer, so have some familiarity/success with Hoka.

Can you comment on sizing? In other words, is the Evo Jaws true to size?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can afford it, get a swim/run wetsuit. I wore my regular 2xU suit and it was awful. We lost loads of time at every transition getting my suit undone and re-zipped because I couldn’t run with it done up.

I skipped the pull buoy because I’m a strong swimmer and I didn’t want to run with a pull buoy strapped to leg, I found it annoying.

I ran in Mizuno Kazan trail running shoes. I have no idea if they drain well or not but I didn’t notice them to be particularly heavy and I was grateful that I never slipped while running over the rocks at Uto.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
San Juan’s on orcas island as well! See ya there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone. This is helpful. So ehat is the verdict on the tether? Is it required?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
golden9 wrote:
Thank you everyone. This is helpful. So ehat is the verdict on the tether? Is it required?

We were not required to use it for the Casco Bay race. I believe we were required to have one though, in case the race directors made a determination that weather conditions justified it's use. I don't know if that is the case for this year though. My partner and I have one, I just keep it wound around my waist so it's available if needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When we did Uto it was not required and we had no desire to use one. We chatted with a couple who were using one and they told us it took a long time to learn how to swim together with the tether. Also I was concerned that if one partner went down while running, they will take the other person out with them. But a lot of the top teams use a tether so I guess it works well if you train for it.
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM/RUN Essentials [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doing my first on Saturday... have my old
Orca sleeveless wetsuit with the legs cut to look like the old speedo kneeskins ... teather is not mandatory for this event ... is it recommended?

3.2k of swimming and 9.6k of running so not drastic. Got a pair of NB minimus trail shoes that have a sock type liner and a flexible heel that shoe help keep my toes pointed... going to do some testing with my partner on Friday at the venue.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Swimrun Casco Bay last year and doing it again this year. Agree with everything Lars, the RD and founder of the series, said.

My partner and I ditched the tether after the first leg. Too much of a nuisance.

I used a pair of Inov-8 shoes. I forget the model (they are black, orange and blue) with big treads. Also wore a pair of lightweight cycling socks that came to the bottom of my ankle. That combo worked great.

Used a pull buoy. Created a bungee contraption that allowed me to rotate to the outer hip on the run. Worked great.

Used the cheap Orca suit. 90% of the people at the race had the same suit. Again, worked great.

I put a ton of Skin Sake body lube all over my friction points.

Didn’t use the hand paddles. Didn’t train with them, and didn’t want to do something new.

A team trying to win a race might optimize with the tether and paddles, but I viewed this race as a fun way to leverage the tri fitness and do something with a teammate for a change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True to size in general, I would say. I wear an Women’s 8 in all the hoka shoes and the evo size 8 Fit nicely.
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM/RUN Essentials [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do the shoes go in the garbage after every race?

For example, I washed my Hoka Cliftons after a messy run on the Appalachian Trail and they are just not the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone worn the Blue Seventy Alliance suit? Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a connection with these guys, but this shoe is designed with swim/run in mind.

https://shopsalmingusa.com/...ot-comp-men-lava-red

I have yet to try it out, but it sounds like a pretty awesome chose for swim run. I hope to get a pair soon.....

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My partner and I just purchased the Alliance. Delivery was quick and the price was right with the B70 summer sale. I’m looking forward to using the suit and can provide feedback in a week or two.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a pair of HOO Jawz and they are true to size with other models in their line up. I wear a 12 in pretty much every model (Traces, Cliftons, Speedgoats, etc).

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At our SwimRun USA events, Casco Bay Islands/San Juan Islands/Boston Harbor Islands, we require you have a tether but DO NOT require you use it. Some teams apply it to their team strategy if one swimmer is sufficiently weaker/stronger to neutralize the deficiency, some use it to just to keep in close proximity if a certain swim leg is congested and some go without entirely. Your call. But we require you have one for safety sake.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM/RUN Essentials [cdkayak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is once again mandatory to have with you, but not required to use.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM/RUN Essentials [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way -- you can get a whole "season" of racing in on a pair of shoes that drain well. The Jawz I use are completely dry within a few hours and ready for more the next day. Same went for the Icebugs I wore last year and the Vivobarefoots I've tested out too. Key is to find a shoe that drains well. To speed up the drying process, put them in front of a floor fan similar to how you would dry out cycling shoes you ride on a trainer with.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the Alliance was designed by Mike Orton who has competed in many swimruns himself. there is a lot of technology packed in for a $250 suit ($200 if you're one of our SwimRun USA racers).

the advancements coming out of Europe in the swimrun specific suits are moving towards less neoprene material in the legs. this makes running in the suit easier. it does take away somewhat in the water but can be offset by using a pull buoy, or even the neoprene calf guards, for additional floatation.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I am not a fan of the Vivobarefoots but I do understand why people like them.

My favorites are the New Balance Men's MT10V1 Minimus for a running shoe. The heel-to-toe drop is just 4mm which I like. I find they are exceptionally comfortable for a lightweight shoe.

Good luck !

Quote Reply
Re: SWIM/RUN Essentials [Michael D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same ones I have ... they worked pretty good yesterday....

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply

Prev Next