Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rumors re:IMNYC Volunteer2012/entry 2013?
Quote | Reply
Signed up to volunteer for IMNYC this year, but don't know if it guarantees me an entry for 2013. Website says they haven't decided what they were going to do about it. Any rumors? I try to volunteer for at least 1 race a year locally, but lets face it, if I commit to volunteer for an IM I hope to get early sign up for the following year.
Quote Reply
Re: Rumors re:IMNYC Volunteer2012/entry 2013? [msully59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I try to volunteer for at least 1 race a year locally, but lets face it, if I commit to volunteer for an IM I hope to get early sign up for the following year.

poor attitude

but they still haven't decided
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck. Early entry would seem to be the least they could do for the volunteers who do all the grunt work it takes to run their business.

What other business is there where the workers work for free?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Rumors re:IMNYC Volunteer2012/entry 2013? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

Marathons and other running races.

Swim meets

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: Rumors re:IMNYC Volunteer2012/entry 2013? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

Marathons and other running races.

Swim meets

Tiger Woods is bazillionaire and PGA events are largely run by volunteers.

Why do people have such a problem with this
Quote Reply
Re: Rumors re:IMNYC Volunteer2012/entry 2013? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

not people but elite triathletes from ST
Quote Reply
Re: Rumors re:IMNYC Volunteer2012/entry 2013? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Tiger Woods is bazillionaire and PGA events are largely run by volunteers.

at least when I volunteer at the Masters they let me pay $675 for an opportunity to play the course as long as I pay the Monday after the final round
Quote Reply
Re: Rumors re:IMNYC Volunteer2012/entry 2013? [jheebner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is in pink only because they won't EVEN let you do that!!
Quote Reply
Re: Rumors re:IMNYC Volunteer2012/entry 2013? [haole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poor attitude... Really?!

I've commited to taking a day off from work, drive 300 miles one way, take care of my own food and lodging, all to support a sport/lifestyle that I love, Then gladly stand in line to shell out $900 for a 2013 race entry. I'm really looking forward to it to tell the truth! I've never seen an Ironman.

I did not say I won't do it if I don't get an entry, just saying it would be nice. So you can just save your 'poor attitude' comment for someone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you are right

i was a bit over the top

but since im in "the know" here is a link to a website that you can register without all this massive expense

*pick T1 or T2 to volunteer. i should be a team captain there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't get me wrong, I am with you on this. However, I think using the word "volunteer" and expecting something in return is what constitutes a poor attitude. I have volunteered at several local events. I would never "volunteer" at an IM. However, I would work for an opportunity at early registration for the following year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess people that volunteer would read your post and see that you are wanting an entry to the event, and think that the best way to get that is to turn up for the day. In that case, then when it gets frantic, you've not been fed for 5 hours, your race t-shirt is either XXXXXL or a XS ladies as that was all that was left, an athlete has just dhouted, sworn at you because they forgot to bring their race number and you are unable to pull a ready printed one for them instantly from your nostril, then there is a chance that unless you're 100% motivated by a desire to help the athletes, there's a chance you won't give everything to the event. Believe it or not, there are some volunteers that turn up, do a bit, and then go. Then there's the other sort. The 20% that do the 80%. And having been around races in various guises for 10 years then the ones that are doing most of the work are never the ones that ask for the extra race t-shirt, never ask where there's an extra lunch, if they can do transition instead of litter picking .....

If you want to volunteer and help put on a race that you will yourself do one day, then please do. But do it for that reason, not for yourself.

Guaranteed entry for next years race - no cost.
Minimum wage for the hours volunteers work - $6000 per athlete race entry
Being a volunteer with the right attitude, priceless
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi Sweeney,

Hiring temporary workers for one day would be a logistical nightmare. Also, the volunteers love it and don't have a negative attitude about it like you do. Before I did any IMs I remember being excited to volunteer out there because I really wanted to do triathlons and it was just an exciting day to be out. Nowadays I do much too many triathlons per year to be able to volunteer at any : (

EDIT: Also the other 'lowly' non WTC races also use volunteers but for some reason you seem to only be singling out WTC? Why is that?
Last edited by: cyclops: Mar 20, 12 11:17
Quote Reply
Re: Rumors re:IMNYC Volunteer2012/entry 2013? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey man, I just want to do an Ironman event. I could care less about how much th WTC makes or weather my work lives up to your expectations. I was told by guys who have been there before that volunteering, then getting in the following year is a great way to do an event, and give back at the same time, so I was curious if I would have this opportunity. I am not some greedy little scumbag wanting something for nothing. I've 'Volunteered/worked' (semantics?) for a lot of events, sometimes for an hour, sometimes all day, and always got a kick out of it because it feels good to help out when I can. So whatever
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of spending all the money to travel to the event and volunteer (if you are only looking for a slot), go through Ken Glah at Endurance Sports Travel. Last I heard he still had slots to this years race that are selling for less than foundation slots sold for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on volunteering, you'll have a blast. I did kayak support at IMLP one year and it was a fantastic experience. To answer your question though, I don't think that volunteering actually guarantees you entry into next years event. You still have to wait in line, and I believe it is after this year's finishers. Then there are limited slots. So yes, you stand a much better chance, but it is in no way guaranteed.
Quote Reply
Re: Rumors re:IMNYC Volunteer2012/entry 2013? [cyclops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
''What other business is there where the workers work for free? ''

I didn't think I was singling any one out. I think volunters should get something for their efforts, especially at IM races where they will be out for a very long time, and front of the line entry to the next years race would be a good place for race promoters to start giving back to the sport.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The risk of any incentive is that you get people turning up to do the bare minimum to get the entry, and in many cases someone like that is a hinderance rather than a help.
Quote Reply
Re: Rumors re:IMNYC Volunteer2012/entry 2013? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
The risk of any incentive is that you get people turning up to do the bare minimum to get the entry, and in many cases someone like that is a hinderance rather than a help.

I think in this case your statement isn't accurate. I would guess that the people who are volunteering for guaranteed entry are active triathletes and also have some passion for the sport. And since they will be the athlete next year, I would think as a volunteer they would treat the athletes as they would want to be treated next year.

I am handing out medals/shirts from 5-12:30am. I'm not sure if I will enter next year should it be available for volunteers. I am doing it for the fun of it and we'll see what happens after that.
Quote Reply
Re: Rumors re:IMNYC Volunteer2012/entry 2013? [mambwe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then you would guess wrong.

In my experience at IMLP the majority of volunteers that were there just to get a slot were going through the motions, did the bare minimum and took off as soon as they could (basically as long as they got their volunteer t-shirt they were gone). The 80% / 20% referenced by a poster above seems accurate to me ....
Quote Reply
Re: Rumors re:IMNYC Volunteer2012/entry 2013? [mambwe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I', not saying that everyone that volunteers does it for the 'perk'. But without a 'perk' then you know that there is no other reason. Given the relatively small number of triathletes that do volunteer, and the oversubscription to many IM races, then I suspect that there would be enough people turning up to 'go through the motions' to be a hinderence. I volunteered at the Rugby World Cup, and we were all told very clearly we wouldn't get any free tickets. A fair few people dropped out. Then part way through the tournement we got offered some free tickets, which was great, but even then we had some people 'working' that actually slowed the team down. Their presence was a negative. Would they have quit earlier if it hadn't have been for the lure of the tickets? Some would, I'm sure.

I've also been a race director when some volunteers have decided not to turn up or to just wander off as it was a bit cold / wet. That caused more hassle than if we'd been able to plan around reduced numbers from the start.

I've also had to re-allocate some people to 'dummy' positions as they were clearly just going through the motions, more interested in standing chatting to mates than doing anything useful.

Anyway, enough. I've said my view. I've heard yours, and probably in reality I'm being a bit negative, you may be erring on the positive side, and reality is in the middle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msully59 wrote:
Signed up to volunteer for IMNYC this year, but don't know if it guarantees me an entry for 2013. Website says they haven't decided what they were going to do about it. Any rumors? I try to volunteer for at least 1 race a year locally, but lets face it, if I commit to volunteer for an IM I hope to get early sign up for the following year.

I volunteer for a local kids tri every year. It costs me nothing other than time as I bike to/from the event. I usually eat 1 donut and don't take a t-shirt as I have one from 5 years ago.

Now if I was shelling out anything other than a nominal amount of money the cause would have to be important or there would have to be some quid pro quo. For the amount of money you are investing "guaranteeing" a chance to overpay for an event is the minimum WTC can do. Big marathons compensate the running clubs that man the aid stations as is the case with my running club and the Chicago Mary/Shamrock Shuffle.

At every event I try to be extra polite and profusely thank the volunteers, especially the ones who invest serious time and money to make the event come to pass.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want a simple lesson in economics ... bag the idea of volunteering in NYC and purchase a community fund spot. Furthermore, don't be ashamed to admit that your primary intention in volunteering would be to obtain priority placement for next year. The option exists specifically for people like yourself to take advantage of it.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply