Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [mayday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in...

Currently 166lbs...

I've taken about 1 1/2 yrs off from triathlons. Planning on starting up again in 2007.

Will be signing up for sprint, international and 1/2 IM races and ending the year with IMFL.

Good race weight for me is 145-150lbs
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [heykev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm interested. Let me weigh myself at the gym later and I'll post my current weight and my goal. That said, I want to add a few pounds of muscle at the same time.
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I won't be able to join you, but I will cheer you on. You made me wonder about the last challenge though.

Who has managed to keep their weight off?

I went from 146 lbs to 129 lbs, and am currently 132.

I went from 183 to 161 during the challenge. I'm currently 155. ("After" picture in the "Awards Ceremony" section of the page at http://www.clevetriclub.com/cleveland-tri-2006.html )

I'd like to participate in another "Weight Loss Challenge," but there are too many unexpected barriers to losing the "last 5 pounds" for me to feel comfortable wagering $20 times the number of people who succeed. I like the "name your own dire consequence" method better.

BTW, it would be interesting to find out how many people carried through on their "dire consequences" from the earlier challenge, since there were quite a few people who didn't lose 15 pounds or more. Of course, that might have been because many people didn't need to lose 20 pounds.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [atl_tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in... 185lbs. I'm with Julian on this and would like to see what Lauren's plan is.

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with these challenges is to keep the commitment long enough to break old habits and establish new healthier habits. For those with a motivation issue, I propose the following structure: a buddy system.
  • Partner up with somebody preferably in the same boat as you. Your buddy is your wingman.
  • At the beginning of the week declare your weekly goals to each other (like exercising 7 hours this week or cutting back to 3 sodas).
  • Keep daily stats. Check up on each other during the week. Provide motivation, etc.
  • At the end of the week, tally up the results and hold each other accountable to their goals. Whoever doesn't make their goal pays the other $100 or some such obscene sum.
  • Keep the game going for at least two months to allow the new habits to stick.

(I have my eyes on MJuric...)

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in...

191 this AM (too many Labor Day Burgers)...

Would like 175 (if not 170).

B.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.teamorganicnyc.com
Sponsored by: TBA
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great idea. This should be more than just about weight, but living a healthier lifestyle. My weekly goals need to include eating at least 6 servings of fruit/veggies per day, taking my vitamins, sticking to my training regimen, weight training, etc. This way we can all choose our own goals and be accountable to someone. The outside motivation is what really helps me along. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed 100% about changing habits. I know the majority of my weight issue revolves around my bad habits. That was why I proposed making this challenge over 4 months. An interesting twist would be to make it over four months, then include another weigh in around april 1.

I like the buddy idea. The driver behind the $20 to each successful person was simply to make me (and others) take it seriously. There are other "dire" consequences that could motivate someone else. The $20 to each person motivates me because I just committed it to everyone who is successful and didn't talk to my wife about it - I HAVE to make it or there will be dire consequences at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in.

It's time I recapture my life and this is the starting point. For the past 3 years I've been working too much and training too little. 2006 will be the first year since 1993 that I haven’t done a triathlon. It’s been a slow gradual decline from 6 or 7/year to 4 or 5 to 2 or 3…now none.

OK, here are the stat's.

6'1", 280 lbs.

Yeah, no shit, I'm a fattie. I think God wanted me to be a linebacker. I had a physical last Thursday and the BP was 125/80 with a resting heart rate of 52. I should get the cholesterol results this week. I’m probably the healthiest 280 pounder around but at the end of the day, 280 is 280.

At the check-in to IMLP last year I weighed in at 275. The guy with the clipboard laughed at me. I guess it was kind of funny.

Anyway, the goal is 250 by Dec. 31. 30 pounds in 16 weeks….perhaps that’s a bit ambitious but here goes…….

-John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100$ a week...you got your eyes on the wrong dude. Chrisit almighty if I screwed up one week I'd have to get another job to pay for it.

Although I 100% agree with the "Buddy System" and keeping stat's, goals etc., I'd rather not put myself in a position that failure would end me in divorce court.

For me I'm thinking at least 3 months or more. 20lbs over 12 weeks is 1.6lbs a week and likely too much from a healthy standpoint. 4 months would be better say Sept,25th thru Jan29th. That get's us thru all the holidays and gives us 3 weeks into the new year to "stablize" after the Christmas glut. I figure if a person can make it thru Thanksgiving and Christmas/Newyear AND lose the weight and keep it off you're golden until the following November.

I'm up for it, but seriously that 100$ way outta my league.

I do like the idea of being that committed to the cause and agree that you'd only have to pay if you didn't follow your commitment, maybe I'm being a puss, but man that's MAJOR committment for me.

For "Keeping track" I'd recommend something like "Fitday" which I use whenever I'm trying to drop poundage anyway, and sometimes even when I'm not just to see if I'm getting enough of everything I need.

Again I'm definately in and if we can come up with soemthing a bit more "palatable" on the monetary end of things I'm in as "wingman".

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm eating a bag of Doritos and drinking a Mountain Dew as I read this. Healthy? I don't care about healthy as long as I'm thin.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can just see Mrs. MJuric getting all agitated before the judge: "You Honor, my husband has been writing obscene checks to a certain BottomFeeder. Says they're "fat checks"... whatever. The thing is, I don't think he's on drugs. I'm at my wit's end..."

OK MJuric, perhaps you and I can play at $50/week? Don't fret the hemmorage of your bank account, it'll be a rare week that any of us lose any money. On the other hand, we must take the money transactions seriously to uphold the integrity of the bet.

My personal concern is not so much the excess weight as the apathy that has been my attitude lately. I can't get motivated for workouts, and my activity level is very low and sporadic. I'm not so much fat as out of shape. I can't fight my way out of a wet paper bag right now, and it infuriates me to no end that I've dug myself this hole.

I've seen enough of this trend, and I want to reverse it NOW. I'm hoping the buddy system will give me a boost in the right direction. The extra weight will take care of itself if I can raise my activity level and clean up some bad dietary habits I've picked up. It's that simple for me.

So have we got a deal?

PS: Schwinding go to HELL, you skinny bastard!!! :-)

Last edited by: BottomFeeder: Sep 5, 06 12:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimfan says your all a bunch of fatties but he's too chicken to tell you and PM'ed me to do it for him.

i'm in for 10lbs...i'm 145 right now...i'll start with 10

i packed a few on after my wedding this year!

however, i don't know if i can do the $20 to everyone...i'll have to come up with some penalty for myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [Trigirlpink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL! I just didn't want to post in here...

Seems too much fat flobbing around here, I thought it would be bad for my health!

If weight loss is a problem, I have a crazy idea! Why don't you all stop eating???

I always see fatties carry the most stuff on their bike and when they run. it's not like they need more because they are heavier. What the heck, some of them looks like they could go months without any food.
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [Trigirlpink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimfan's right... as usual.

Fatties are my people now. I'd take a fattie with a mission over a skinny fart with a bad attitude any day of the week.

Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [jmcavoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also in, have a ton to lose as I'm over 3 bills. And I, too, wasn't built to be a lean machine. Lineman and Rugby player made sure I packed on the lbs, habits didn't change and probably got worse. Time to change...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More the cushion better the pushin' ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in. Currently 183, I'd be incredibly happy to get to 170lbs. Though my wife complained a lot when I got down to 176 before IMAZ. She thought it was weird, cause my ribs didn't have the cushy fat I have on them now.

Peace,

Rob

"Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude."
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's see a picture of yerself, swimfat!

Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
different people motivate to lose weight through different means. if losing weight with others gives people motivation to get healthier you really shouldn't criticize, but instead encourage people who are trying to lead a healthier lifestyle.

watch out for karma!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"So have we got a deal?"

Let's lay the exact ground rules and "Payment plan" prior to the handshake shall we?

First dates: Does 9/25-1/29 soudn good? Too long, Too short?

Second goals and what would result in "Payment"?

Personally I'd like to go to 145'ish from my current 165'ish so roughly 20lbs. Going from 155'ish to 145 will absolutely suck for me and be very difficult I suspect.

Also for this same period I will be working on mainly my run and swim more specifically run volume "offseason frequeny" stuff.

Not sure what "Goals" to set in that area.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so in on this. I will weigh in tonight at the gym. I think I am about 180 and would like to make 165 but 160 would not be unhealthy for me.

Someone take away my cliff bars!

alan

Everbody looks good at the starting line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK I am in too. I was 172 this morning. I'd like to get down to 152.

I like the buddy plan and tips from Lauren, but $20 per person is too much for me.

How about we send $20 to one person if we don't make our goal.
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [Pam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great idea. 195 down to 180 for me.

I'm not sure how it would change the accountability factor, but I'm sure we could find a worthy charity to put our money toward.

$50 each to a Slowtwitch charity fund might work well. We could vote for an appropriate charity.

Craig.
Quote Reply

Prev Next