Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
All religions are exclusionary, divisive and intolerant of those who don't believe in their particular myth. It's mission to explicitly to separate the flock for the final days.

There are a couple very popular ones (Buddhist and Hindu come to mind) that are not dogmatic and intolerant, but rather experiential and philosophical.

Taoism too.
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [eaz_b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Half way through the run at my first IM, I saw Jesus in the road aggregate as I bent over to stretch.
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
OMG someone said a prayer!!!! Stand and fight!! I'M A VICTIM!!!!!!!! I'll need decades of counseling because I had to endure the trauma of listening to someone pray for safety, fair competition and strength to all during an athletic event. My rights have been violated!!!! Where is my lawyer? Where is a journalist to whom I can relay my pitiful story of abuse and deep emotional suffering? I'll need to be compensated for all of this, assuming I don't die from the trauma.

Cobble wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:
The national passtime: being offended and/or being a victim. The two are closely related.
Well do you want those who feel offended to stand up for themselves, and fight instead of feeling offended without doing something about it? Are you willing to accept my freedom of speech that will be used to prove why your religion is wrong and you are stupid?

Funny, so being offended and playing victim is not OK to you, but doing something about it is not OK either. Just like I expected. Because if I want to do something about it, that makes you the victim... right?

Quote | Reply
We had a prayer at the Lincoln Marathon on Sunday. Funny thing is that more people were reverent during the prayer than the national anthem. I like both!
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [jro81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jro81 wrote:
If you are agnostic as you claim and not atheist, then you would not have an agenda. You cannot say that religion has no place because you simply don't know if atheism or theism is right. Maybe religion does have its place, according to your agnostic view.

I don't see who it would hurt for a prayer to be said before a race.
You know there's this things that has shown many things of the bible and religion to be false. Can't remember the name of it... Ah I remember! 'Science' is the word I was looking for.

Prayers in public piss me off because they put the responsibility into the unknown to not have to do something about it. When I do a race, I am lucky to be racing, and I wish myself and all the other competitors, volunteers etc a safe race. I won't need to pray to have a safe race (statistics will tell you prayer won't impact the outcome), but what I CAN do is to have the right attitude to be safe myself and not do anything stupid. Don't rush, don't be an idiot, don't be a dick, and expect the unexpected. And hope that others display the same attitude instead of relying on a god to protect them. I fully accept my responsibility. Just like I accept that praying for a friend who lost a family member is gonna do jack shit, but taking time and being there when he needs me in whichever way that would be will be many times more helpful. Those are the choices I make - not going to hide behind prayer so I can justify my excuses why I didn't do it right...

Last edited by: Cobble: May 6, 14 9:52
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did this race several years ago and do not remember any prayers in the beginning. I might have been concentrating on other things or maybe I already had my earplugs in so couldn't hear anything either way.

I am not religious at all but I would not hold this against a race, especially a well run and beautiful race like Wildflower.

I recommend this race to anyone, of any religion.

Max

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I do a race, I am lucky to be racing, and I wish myself and all the other competitors, volunteers etc a safe race. I won't need to pray to have a safe race (statistics will tell you prayer won't impact the outcome)

You'll love this Carlin vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOfurmrjxo
Last edited by: rruff: May 6, 14 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You sound easily pissed off if someone else praying pisses you off. I just don't see any reason to get upset or offended about a prayer, whether you believe in it or not.

------

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [Maks Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maks Tri wrote:
I did this race several years ago and do not remember any prayers in the beginning. I might have been concentrating on other things or maybe I already had my earplugs in so couldn't hear anything either way.

I am not religious at all but I would not hold this against a race, especially a well run and beautiful race like Wildflower.

Impossible. The transition area Wildflower Christian Militia Guard must have just missed you. Normally I think they hold your eyes open with toothpicks and force you to read bible passages.

next time I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Maks Tri wrote:

Impossible. The transition area Wildflower Christian Militia Guard must have just missed you. Normally I think they hold your eyes open with toothpicks and force you to read bible passages.

next time I guess.

Are you part of the Christian Militia Guard ChrisM? I will have to look out for you next time I am there. :)

Max

Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daremo wrote:
Religion has no place anywhere except at their place of worship, their home or specific events where a church or whatever is the sponsor.

Actually .... I take that back ........... religion has no place anywhere ..............

You need a little of this religion...third line would be a good place for you to begin...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as I have a right to ignore any prayers being said around me, I am okay with people mumbling anything they want. Its only when the religious dogmatics (i.e., most of the republican party, and certainly the chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court) start trying to get me to live under their rules that I spit the bit. However, standing quietly while others address their personal needs for spirituality do not make me feel excluded or isolated.

By the way, did anyone else see "Noah"? I think "Thor" was more believable.
Last edited by: sinkinswimmer: May 6, 14 11:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
jro81 wrote:
(statistics will tell you prayer won't impact the outcome)

Please share...I will stand by and wait...
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
rruff wrote:
All religions are exclusionary, divisive and intolerant of those who don't believe in their particular myth. It's mission to explicitly to separate the flock for the final days.

There are a couple very popular ones (Buddhist and Hindu come to mind) that are not dogmatic and intolerant, but rather experiential and philosophical.

Taoism too.

How about Kama Sutra? That could delay the start of the race considerably, though.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for bringing this topic up. It has been on mind for quite some time now. Really didnt want to bring it up on here for fear of having people jump down my throat

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No matter your beliefs, I'm pretty sure it was all with good intention....
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [golden9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I don't think a prayer is a prayer if it has ill intents, however since I don't frequent prayer events I could be out of the loop of malicious intended prayers.

"Grind it til' you find it..."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you are a race director, you get to decide who talks before the start.
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what are your thoughts? The internet is a safe place....

"Grind it til' you find it..."
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Races can be dangerous. People have died. It's a bit arrogant and ignorant to think that it couldn't possible happen to you. It won't hurt to prepare yourself for the end, prepare your soul or whatever you think happens after you get your ticket punched. It's also worth reminding yourself how lucky you are to be able to compete, as there are plenty of folks that are physically unable to do so.... and not by choice.

Don't you think it is both arrogant and ignorant to assume that listening to someone pray to a god I don't believe in will prepare my soul for an after life I don't believe in?

This is the real issue. You can't fathom that I won't be better off for having listened to some guys prayer. I can't fathom why anyone would waste the time.....

If someone wants to get up and say, "glad we could all be here on race day, healthy and ready to race. Let's all be safe out there.". I can get on board with that.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Argh…..Thank You . If you want to pray, gather your friends and supporters. Management, rds and race officials have NO place in this.

Sadly , it seems to be becoming more and more common.
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
Races can be dangerous. People have died. It's a bit arrogant and ignorant to think that it couldn't possible happen to you. It won't hurt to prepare yourself for the end, prepare your soul or whatever you think happens after you get your ticket punched. It's also worth reminding yourself how lucky you are to be able to compete, as there are plenty of folks that are physically unable to do so.... and not by choice.

Don't you think it is both arrogant and ignorant to assume that listening to someone pray to a god I don't believe in will prepare my soul for an after life I don't believe in?

This is the real issue. You can't fathom that I won't be better off for having listened to some guys prayer. I can't fathom why anyone would waste the time.....

If someone wants to get up and say, "glad we could all be here on race day, healthy and ready to race. Let's all be safe out there.". I can get on board with that.

Certainly won't be worse off

------

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

Well said, +1. What's with this "Prepare for the end" shit? You die! Now if you are talking about making a will, getting your finances in order, making sure the pets are taken care of etc., I can buy into that but I think you should have done that well before the race.

And thanking some deity for a well run race ignores all the work that the RD and everyone else put into it. If you want to thank someone, thank them.

And finally, it is up to everyone to be safe and take responsibility for their own actions. Blaming a deity for good or bad takes away this responsibility.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was at Wildflower this weekend too. Yeah, that prayer thing was strange. But I just ignored it. I figured the owner must be into that stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Religion at Races: Your Thoughts [jro81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jro81 wrote:
wannabefaster wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

Certainly won't be worse off

Yep.
Quote Reply

Prev Next