Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recover Heart Rate
Quote | Reply
I am trying to better understand recovery heart rate. I understand it can be a powerful predictor of health risk and fitness, but I'm confused.
-How is recovery heart rate determined?
-Whats considered a good recovery heart rate and what's not so good?
-How long post workout do I wait? I've heard 1 minute.
- Do I cool down and then wait a minute or is the recovery time from the finish of my work set?
- I would think the workout intensity would impact recovery heart rate dramatically, is there a specific intensity I should be working at?
If anyone could provide me with a little information or direct me to some resources I would be very appreciative. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Recover Heart Rate [trithink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are referring to resting HR, your HR when you get out of bed in the am.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Pretty sure you are looking for a drop in HR of 30 bpm after exercise (within 1 minute) to be classified as healthy. Any thing less than that and you are at risk

Don't quote me on it though. I'm sure you can find it in ACSM guidelines for prescribing exercise (search ACSM website)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trithink wrote:
I am trying to better understand recovery heart rate. I understand it can be a powerful predictor of health risk and fitness, but I'm confused.
- Do I cool down and then wait a minute or is the recovery time from the finish of my work set?
- I would think the workout intensity would impact recovery heart rate dramatically, is there a specific intensity I should be working at?
If anyone could provide me with a little information or direct me to some resources I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

It depends on how hard you were going when you stopped. IIRC an average person should drop 17-20 BPM after one minute from a hard effort. Of course if you were doing a very mild effort when you stopped then your HR won't drop as much.
Last edited by: BykOfALesserGod: Sep 19, 13 19:05
Quote Reply
Re: Recover Heart Rate [BykOfALesserGod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's where the confusion lays: Intensity of effort can vary dramatically, so there must be some hard guidelines. That's essentially what I am looking for. Either specific guidelines or a specific protocol to test recovery heart rate. Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On average I drop around 20 within the 30 second interval that my Timex measures (when I wear it). After that it drops much slower.

Then again, I've had two heart procedures and I'm on a heart med ......

Last edited by: Daremo: Sep 20, 13 10:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert, but here's what I know:

1. You measure the decrease in HR from the time you stop running (or whatever) for 1 minute.
2. I don't know what's considered "good" but obviously the higher the better. When I had my VO2 max tested a couple years ago I think they said that 20 was good after 1 minute, and 50 was good after 2 minutes, but I think that's arbitrary. I think of it in percentages instead, and after a run I usually my recovery HR is usually 30-35% lower than my ending HR...and more if I increased my effort right at the end.
3. No cool-down before measuring.
4. Yes, workout intensity will affect how much HR drops and how fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Recover Heart Rate [jw76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all arbitrary. A 20 bpm drop in the first minute is a good marker for "fitness", but what the means is entirely relativeto the individual. The ACSM guidelines are more in tune with people who are sedentary, or certainly not training to the extent most STers do. I think RHR is a good and easy way of identifying changes in cardiac functioning in response to training or illness, but shouldn't solely be viewed as whether or not someone is "healthy".

mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trithink wrote:

I usually note that after a 1 hour FTP test my heart rate drops from 170 to 110 in about a minute of when I quit. It expect I could play with my training and find some workout that will make it take longer. (Having a heart rate monitor makes watching my heart rate drop easy.)

Heart rate recovery is an individual thing. What is good and normal for me may not be good or normal for you.

Pick a way to measure your heart rate after exercise and stay with it. Over time recovery should improve.
Quote Reply