Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, I understand I am being greedy here, but I don't buy the "our prices have dropped argument." Prices have dropped because the market dictated it and/or the Company made a strategic decision that they wanted to move the market price. Every retailer could punt on BF by saying our prices are solid. And, then they will sell less product if they do so. I am a perfect example, I had my eye on P2M since September, patiently hoping for a sale similar to those they have run in the past.

At the last minute, I decided to pick up some P1s for $855--a great deal. I wasn't even sure I was going to keep them when I bought them. But, now that I see the P2M deal, there is no doubt I am sticking with Powertap and once I sell my pedals, my P1s will effectively cost me about $775. P2M doesn't owe me anything, but they lost a sale because I view the sale as offering very little. It would force me to buy a product--Praxis chainrings which I suspect is being pushed because it doesn't sell as well as the Rotors-- that I don't even want instead of offering a site-wide discount.
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aw3 wrote:
I'd like to know WTF is going on with their European pricing strategy. They're a European company yet all of the prices are way above the USD equivalents, more so than can be explained away by differences in sales tax etc.

It's annoying and I'm reluctant to buy one when it feels as though you're being over-charged.

Because we put a man on the freaking moon, that is why. Once you do that, maybe then you can get cheaper powermeters.

Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that's a bummer. I was hoping to get a little off of their current pricing for a power meter. I really don't need the stuff they are offering. I figured even if they were doing a 10% discount I'd order up a power meter on Friday. Guess I will just wait until later next year. Who knows what else might come out next year.
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [keqwow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or you could sell the praxis rings to offset the cost. If they give you $220 in free stuff selling it for half of that is essentially getting 10-15% off if you do the math.
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [keqwow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keqwow wrote:
Well that's a bummer. I was hoping to get a little off of their current pricing for a power meter. I really don't need the stuff they are offering. I figured even if they were doing a 10% discount I'd order up a power meter on Friday. Guess I will just wait until later next year. Who knows what else might come out next year.

I'm also on this same boat, 10% would have swayed me.

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [P90Puma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same boat. Don't need the hassle of trying to sell components.

Was looking forward to having one...oh well
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [cornick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still holding out hope for a Classic FSA Gossamer popping up at some point. Maybe they'll surprise us with some stock tomorrow?

If it wasn't for the Canadian exchange rate I'd be all over the Type S
$610USD = $800CDN

I can get a whole Stages crankset for sub $600 CDN. Not the same but money talks
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [P90Puma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is too funny. $75 is the magic number keeping you from the power meter you want? I will never understand that logic.
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [McNabb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNabb wrote:
This is too funny. $75 is the magic number keeping you from the power meter you want? I will never understand that logic.

The CAD-> USD rate is terrible right now, I have a stages on my road bike (for the winter) and the tri bike lives on a vortex smart for the winter that also gets me power. I don't need a PM until the weather turns which may see the USD/CAD rate change or other market factors change pricing.

10% would have made the difference for me ordering now.

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see where we're getting $225 worth of gear though - every time I add praxis works rings to any power meter it values it at $99 and no charge for bolts ($30 for "professional installation" though, which, until recently, was included in the price). So I only see $130 savings (still a pretty good deal since I am one that would have to purchase new chain rings and cranks anyway).

Can anyone see where they get $225 in savings?
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [TheNewGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheNewGuy wrote:
I don't see where we're getting $225 worth of gear though
The $225 is the retail price of the items, not their normal price. The retail for the Praxis rings is $175, the bolts are $20, and the install is $30.
Last edited by: rijndael: Nov 26, 15 16:16
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. So, at the end of the day, for those that need a new crankset and chain rings it amounts to almost 18% savings on the total package for the FSA gossamer, which is a very good buy in for power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 questions: 1. is the professional installation really necessary? 2. Am I at a real disadvantage if I just get the FSA Gossamer cranks versus the other cranks (Rotar 3D, 3D Plus or K-Force Light) which cost anywhere from $160 to $300 more?
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. I think you can ask them what that means exactly. I got my FSA P2M two years ago and it came fully assembled. I've since taken it apart on two occasions to replace chainrings and there's really nothing to it. All you need is a torque wrench for the chainring bolts. The chainrings have to be mounted in a certain position and you can get the installation manual from Praxis or Rotor depending on what chainrings you get. There are 6 smaller bolts which attach the spider to the crank and that's it.

2. No, the FSA is solid. The only advantage to rotor is that they are lighter and they work with Shimano bottom brackets while FSA require FSA BBs. In my opinion they are just as good as Shimano ones and BTW Gossamer cranks will work with a Shimano BB but it's a little tighter fit. They are both 24mm spindle diameter but the FSA tends to be a tiny bit larger. Rotor might be easier to resell or reuse on another bike. The Gossamer crank is custom made for P2M and will not work with a regular spider - on the other hand there's no extra cost for the crank so it's pretty much free...

JoelO wrote:
2 questions: 1. is the professional installation really necessary? 2. Am I at a real disadvantage if I just get the FSA Gossamer cranks versus the other cranks (Rotar 3D, 3D Plus or K-Force Light) which cost anywhere from $160 to $300 more?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a little bit of digging before pulling the trigger on the FSA, and sp1ke pretty much hit the nail on the head.

From what I can gather, the assembly charge wasn't in existence before the large price drop that occurred earlier this year. I can only assume that they started charging it in order to drop the prices on the actual power meter as much as they could. If it wasn't included in the black Friday special, I likely would not have opted for it.

As far as upgrading the cranks were concerned, there were a ton of opinions out there (P2M, unsurprisingly, recommended going with the Rotor - though their justification included the fact that it would be one less thing to upgrade down the road - something that may or may not apply to you). I couldn't justify dropping the extra $200 for some weight savings and didn't want to deal with the potential of having to changing out the bottom bracket (it would have fit my bike but may result in a little "play" and/or creaking - which would necessitate swapping out the BB and just another thing to have to deal with).

I didn't really consider re-sale (rarely do) but reusing on another bike was something in the back of my head but, after looking into it, it wasn't enough of a factor to warrant the upgrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks (both you and sp1ke). I guess the only question I have to ask myself now is whether to go with this setup versus the C1 chainrings from Powertap. I have BB30 on my Felt DA and, from what I've read earlier in this thread, it's a pain in the a$$ to mount the FSA cranks due to the tight fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough choice (though choice and competition can only be a good thing, right?).

After I was resolved to go with a crank based PM, I just went with what was cheapest (p2m FSA gossamer ended up being $635 out the door) and easiest (hopefully it'll just be "plug and play") since I would have needed new cranks and chain rings anyway. If I didn't need to replace my cranks and chain rings, the C1 at $699 (without cranks?) likely would have been more of a consideration for me. I don't think, from a technical standpoint, the reliability or accuracy of most of the "usual suspects" is an issue anymore. Tough, on a completely non-technical note, even though I don't think customer service would be an issue either way, the fact that powertap is in the US may have been a factor, as well.

I think you'd be happy either way!
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [power2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kickin things off a bit early this year. It's no Black Friday Sale but maybe worth turning your timetable up a bit nonetheless...https://www.power2max.com/...wer2max-ng-prologue/
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [Power2maxNA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you get to keep the original type s you send out?
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [Wifeofatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sure do!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's really cool but I already have a P2M and would like another but not really 2 more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you only get the spider? or how does that work?

And can you choose a different bolt patter on the NG unit? Specifically would want the shimano 4 bolt version on the NG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This question has really bugged me for a long time:

Why would anyone buy another power meter?

I have two p2m meters and not only do I love them both, the customer service is the best I have ever experienced. Seriously, I'll never buy from another company. Stoked for the NG.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [Wifeofatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The special price you essentially reserve, $350, is for the spider only. At the point when you go to purchase the power meter you'll be able to add anything else at the regular prices (i.e. chain rings, cranks, etc.). That said, think of the two as relatively independent. For instance if, for the Type S, your order a Rotor 3D power meter and cranks in 110BCD, for the NG you can get a K Force Light BB386EVO power meter with Shimano 4 bolt compatibility...there's no limit in that respect. However there would be an additional cost for the cranks and shipping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power2maxNA wrote:
Kickin things off a bit early this year. It's no Black Friday Sale but maybe worth turning your timetable up a bit nonetheless...https://www.power2max.com/...wer2max-ng-prologue/

No discounts for the European market?
Quote Reply

Prev Next