Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [power2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My road bike has a 105 compact 10sp crankset on BSA BB.

If I was to get a Classic+Gossamer set and replace the 105 crank, I don't need to get a new BB, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been thinking about starting to train with power for a while and this pushed me over the edge. Just ordered and am excited to get started.
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lordhong wrote:

If I was to get a Classic+Gossamer set and replace the 105 crank, I don't need to get a new BB, right?

I originally put my Gossamer crank into a Dura-Ace BSA BB, and the fit was tight... very tight. Once installed, the crank spun very smoothly like you would expect from Shimano. When I wanted to remove the crank to move to another bike, I needed a rubber mallet and some strong whacks to remove the crank. I do not recommend this. I since purchased an FSA MegaEXO BB, which has worked just fine.

I read somewhere on this forum, I think it was from Damon, that although FSA MegaEXO, Shimano Hollowtech II, and Rotor BB are all 24mm spindles, FSA is plus a tiny manufacturing tolerance, and Shimano/Rotor/Chris King are minus a tolerance. Basically, keep FSA crank with FSA BB, but the others will play a little bit nicer with one another.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
lordhong wrote:

I originally put my Gossamer crank into a Dura-Ace BSA BB, and the fit was tight... very tight. Once installed, the crank spun very smoothly like you would expect from Shimano. When I wanted to remove the crank to move to another bike, I needed a rubber mallet and some strong whacks to remove the crank. I do not recommend this. I since purchased an FSA MegaEXO BB, which has worked just fine.

I read somewhere on this forum, I think it was from Damon, that although FSA MegaEXO, Shimano Hollowtech II, and Rotor BB are all 24mm spindles, FSA is plus a tiny manufacturing tolerance, and Shimano/Rotor/Chris King are minus a tolerance. Basically, keep FSA crank with FSA BB, but the others will play a little bit nicer with one another.
Thanks for heads up. I was about to do the exact same thing.

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [Blmgtnbkr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding Classic 3D+ 110: that's indeed sold out for good

@lordhong: you can install a FSA Gossamer Megaexo in a Shimano BB, but the fit is tight - it's not offically recommended, but usually works.

@happman23: have fun with it :)

@doublea334: absolutely right!

Cheers
Nicolas

---
power2max
http://www.power2max.com/northamerica
official power meter of Movistar Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to piggyback on my question before,

I'm getting the gossamer classic (110 BCD/172.5)... I would definitely need the "FSA Megaexo bottom bracket for BB86", correct?

Cannot wait.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Cloy,

for a Trek (BB90) you'll need FSA-specific bearings. They are different from a BB86 bottom bracket. Unfortunately we don't have those in our store, but they are easily available.

Cheers
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2013 7 series speed concept which actually has a bb86. The 2014s have the bb90, at least so I'm told from Trek.

I don't know specs/terminology, so excuse my ignorance. I just want to capitalize this deal and get a power meter for my bike. hah

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you 100% sure? I have a SC9 2012 and it has a BB90. I never heard of Trek using a BB86. It's relatively easy to check: if the shell inner diameter is 41mm and the width is 86mm its a BB86. If it's 37mm and 90mm wide it's a BB90. The BB86 has plastic cups pressed into the frame, BB90 uses bearings directly slipped into the carbon of the frame.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@power2max how about a Black Friday deal on the Type S Rotor 3D+ without crank since you're sold out of the classic ;) ;)
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [wahoowatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is in offer - we made our for our whole range. Just pick the right discount code :)

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, my bike is at the shop getting the steering tube cut down. However, per Carl in the Official Speed Concept Owners thread:

Carl wrote:
the old 7series is BB86, the 2014 is BB90. either way, so long as you can get a GXP version of the P2M it'll drop right in to the bearings you've got for the Apex

Additionally, this was also brought up in the same thread when I asked about the p2m meter:

SummitAK wrote:
Since it is an FSA crank with the P2M. I would guess that is a Shimano style powermeter. This means 24mm crank spindle on both sides of the BB. Your current SRAM GPX BB has a 24mm inner diameter bearing on the drive side and a 22mm id bearing on the NDS.

I would suggest contacting P2M to confirm.

I really appreciate your help and patience!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
power2max wrote:
That is in offer - we made our for our whole range. Just pick the right discount code :)

Aha! Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stand corrected! You learn something new every day. For bb86 please choose the FSA Megaexo for bb86.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awww man....I just bought one last week! Awesome product though...great price even before this deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Must be getting lots of interest as the website was rather slow for me! :)

I caved and bought a second one for my wife. Even with adding on a BB, it was about $150 cheaper than when I bought mine a few months ago, great deal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were to order tonight, is there an estimated ship time? I have a race December 6th and it would be super cool to have power to reference after.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn you. Thought I would get through this black Friday unscathed.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I have a bottom bracket induced migraine! Currently have a 2014 Cervelo P2 with BBright, with the FSA Gossamer crank and I assume the FSA PF-30 bottom bracket. I've narrowed my purchase down to one of the 30mm options (Rotor 3D+ or Rotor 3DF), but I'm not sure if I also need to pick up a new Rotor bottom bracket or can I just keep the stock bottom bracket that came on the bike? Wasn't sure if the discussion above about tolerances mainly applied to mixing FSA cranks with different bottom brackets. Thanks for any input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Toronto but the cart is charging me in USD. Is there a way to enter an order in CAD?

I would like to avoid exchange rate fees on my credit card.

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, Trek does use the BB86 (they call it BB86.5) which allows for 30mm axles (BB386) to be used in conjunction with the 4130 BB.

BTW, amazing deals!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@cloy26: If we have it in stock it goes out the next same or next day. But we have been a little overwhelmed by the interest, so depending on the product we may have to get more stock from Germany, which would be about a week to 10 days before we get it.

@dgatlin: you're good on your bottom bracket. I need to figure out a way to make that easier for you all to figure out if your BB is good to use or not.

@the_thief: unfortunately that's a technical limitation we have. Please email us and we can sort out a CAD invoice via PayPal

Cheers all,

Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nick,

I just sent an e-mail in to support.

Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: power2max Black Friday sale [the_thief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All done :)

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to add more irritation to your Tuesday morning:

I just picked up a '14 CAAD10 w/ BB30... This, I'm assuming, would not be able to use the FSA Gossamer setup I just bought, too, right? Like if I just wanted to do a quick swap?
The reason I ask is because it has a Gossamer crankset already installed on it.

Last edited by: cloy26: Nov 25, 14 7:03
Quote Reply

Prev Next