Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wish me luck - about to do 100mi on the trainer<end> [SofaKing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's insane. I at least have one 40W bulb dangling over in the corner... LOL.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Wish me luck - about to do 100mi on the trainer - DONE baby! [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The cold beer in my hand tastes pretty fine I must say.
A chick who likes her beer - truly Canadian!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Wish me luck - about to do 100mi on the trainer - DONE baby! [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Granville Island Maple Cream Ale.

Beer from the gods, only surpassed by a Double Chocolate Porter from Phillips Brewing in Victoria.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Wish me luck - about to do 100mi on the trainer<end> [sgardner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, as for the crotch, what I do is ride aero for 7-8min and sit up for the remainder (i.e.: 2-3min) to make 10min, repeat as necessary. It forces me to think about drinking/eating in that 2-3min and just breaks up the time. I also put Prevex silicon based cream on the taint. Cheaper than them fancy pants butt creams and works really well IMHO.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Wish me luck - about to do 100mi on the trainer - DONE baby! [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I LOVE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.

Living here ain't cheap but you can ride 100 miles in beautiful scenery any day of the year....I bought a trainer last year and have 50 miles on it...and that was so I could watch the Giants and ride at the same time.

I was in Canyon today....I love that road, it doesn't go anywhere so there are always more bikes than cars....who else loves Canyon?

Off to Scottsdale tomorrow to play golf, sort of attend a conference, and run a little. I hear most women in Scottsdale have plastic enhancements.....I'll report back on Thursday.

Adios.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in Whistler for two years before unfortunately returning to the "center of the universe" (Toronto). I know the beers well, and I am JEALOUS!

I still fly to Van a couple of times each year, and always fill my luggage with Granville Island Lager. Only broken two bottles in 5 years!!! (damned luggage handlers) Never seen the Phillips, but I'll look for it next time I'm out.

Man, if you love good beers, Vancouver is the place to be! It's worth moving there just for the beer...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andypants, when u r done with the century ride on the trainer, pls let me know what u did to keep u motivated. I will be doing at least a couple soon on the trainer. Pls advise! thanx!!
Quote Reply
Re: Wish me luck - about to do 100mi on the trainer - DONE baby! [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Phillips is in 650mL bottles at the LDB near Oakridge (Cambie & 40th, best ldb store in Vancouver). Apparently can get it on tap but haven't looked for it yet (probably the Raven in NVan would have it).

If you haven't had the GI Maple Cream and like a amber-ish beer with out a strong aftertaste (or too hoppy a taste) you'll probably like this one.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Wish me luck - about to do 100mi on the trainer - DONE baby! [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sure agree with that, but, there are still lots of nuts on the road which is why I use my trainer in Northern Calif. Boring, but safe.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn. I've topped 100 on the rollers a few times, but never on the trainer. How long did that shit take you?

Almost time to taper, eh? Good luck in WA. I just did my last long run (18) before florida. Aren't late-season IMs grand?

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Wish me luck - about to do 100mi on the trainer - DONE baby! [IM Student] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I posted above, I had the MP3 player loaded up with good upbeat tunes. I broke my ride into segments, the long segments as follows: 1h30 "warm-up"; 3hr big ring riding; 1hr "cool down"; the warm-up was progressively upping the gear while in the small ring each 15min or so, teh cool down was similar but in reverse. The medium segments were gels: one every 50minutes, 50min into the ride. The smallest segment was 10minutes: 7-8 aero; 2-3 sitting up and drinking/eating).

Then you basically have to work to keep your mind busy for the 7-8 minutes that you are aero. Focus on your breathing, your spinning, watch your HR, cadence, etc. The 2-3min is a mental break, plus a chance to relieve the pressure on your crotch. Of course you have to still keep pedalling, you don't dog it for those 2-3 minutes, keep the same speed and cadence.

I was really surprised but the time actually flew by compared to when I did a 4hr trainer ride while watching movies (Matrix, Matrix Reloaded) on my laptop. That was a much harder ride.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Wish me luck - about to do 100mi on the trainer - DONE baby! [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, I am a slowpoke, that was 5h30min. And it was probably more like 90mi (I was actually just going for duration not specific distance).

Thanks man, I have yet to see what coach is giving me this week, but yeah, getting close to taper time and very happy about it!!!

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The Phillips is in 650mL bottles at the LDB near Oakridge (Cambie & 40th, best ldb store in Vancouver). Apparently can get it on tap but haven't looked for it yet (probably the Raven in NVan would have it).

If you haven't had the GI Maple Cream and like a amber-ish beer with out a strong aftertaste (or too hoppy a taste) you'll probably like this one.

I'll definately look for those next time I'm out. The only beer that really wualifies as "good" here in Ontario is Creemore Springs - it's beautiful stuff, craft brewed, and also comes in big 650's. It's really the only beer that comes close to the west coast brews.

People here have no taste - both in beer (Canadian) and in hockey teams (Leafs). Yuck!

I miss BC :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You ship me some Creemore and I'll ship you some GI /Phillips. ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't tease me like that...I'll do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Wish me luck - about to do 100mi on the trainer<end> [SofaKing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I recall a Lon Haldeman story of how he would train for RAAM by riding the rollers in his garage for 8 hours...in the dark!
Lon gave me the idea to ride rollers in the dark about 12 years ago...I still do it...if I was only as strong as Lon....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn - that Granville Island Maple Ale (Kitsilano) is my favourite local beer.

Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.
Quote Reply
Re: Wish me luck - about to do 100mi on the trainer - DONE baby! [SAMOK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, love it. Also love the GI Winter Ale when it's available, nice vanilla-like finish...mmm.. sweet & tasty.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Wish me luck - about to do 100mi on the trainer<end> [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is 4.5 hours on the trainer regarded as equal to a 6 hour ride outdoors?
Quote Reply
Re: Wish me luck - about to do 100mi on the trainer<end> [iheartfestina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does that mean I just did a "roadworthy" 7:20 ride? sweet... ;-)

I guess my legs will tell me tomorrow eh?

------------------------
Last edited by: AndyPants: Oct 16, 05 22:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who would have thought that I would get good beer advice in a triathlon website?! Will have to try the Phillips - live close to the Cambie/41st liquor store, so I'll buy some tomorrow. Yummy.

Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.
Quote Reply
Re: Wish me luck - about to do 100mi on the trainer<end> [iheartfestina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:30 trainer = 2 hour road
Quote Reply
Re: Wish me luck - about to do 100mi on the trainer<end> [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job, girl! But, next time you can come stay with me for the weekend. I'll pick you up at the airport and you can ride to your heart's content in the heat. And I will look into finding some good beer for you while you are out riding... Your ride sounds like torture to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Wish me luck - about to do 100mi on the trainer<end> [miami79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds awesome... next time I'm out your way, I'll ping you for a beer stop ;-)

I thought it was going to be horrible but it wasn't that bad. My only fear now is that I didn't ride as hard as I would have out on the road. Anyone ever have that feeling that a trainer ride is harder or easier, physically (not mentally) than riding on the road? I have the feeling that what my body, my HRM and my bike 'puter say aren't really accurate on the trainer...

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yer freakin' psycho, kid. There's no way your coach put you up to that madness...

On the plus side, I do think that ride is WAY harder on a trainer than on the road - both mentally and physically. Mad props for finishing.

So.... How's your ass feeling today? :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply

Prev Next