Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax
Quote | Reply
Just curious ST if you had to choose between these two bikes which would you choose and why? I am curious what the ST jury has to say.

Edit#1: thanks for everyones input...I was leaning towards the P3X and I may stick with that, just wish it had a different paint job thats another story for another day.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Last edited by: TizzleDK: Jan 9, 21 8:36
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming fit is equal p3x all day. Cervelo is the bike that all others are compared to.
Last edited by: Tri.Tony: Jan 8, 21 16:49
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which model speedmax are you comparing to?

Seems like you get a lot more bike for the money with Canyon
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neither. P5 Disc is what I’d go for if I was spending that sort of coin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am just a middle-of-packer.
With that being said, I think they are different style bikes, and I would strongly recommend getting a professional fit and then having that dialogue with the fitter.

I love my Cervelo P3X (w/ upgraded wheels, Enve 7.8s in road tubeless setup w/ Conti GP5KTLs). I think both styles of bikes are terrific. But from my qualitative viewpoint, I think Cervelo P3X is better when fully loaded with hydration and fuel for long course training and riding. I like that I can fully load up on everything I need, self-serve, (eg hydration, fuel, tools) for >80 mi training rides and not needing to stop amid COVID to get anything mid-way. The beam bike style (no seat post) leaves me feeling fresher for my run—as a slow middle aged man I can use every help I can get on my run. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [Jae K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right now i'd pick the canyon.... at least until cervelo releases their 2021 frames for the p3x and px series bikes.... just due to cost / value...or immediate devalue of a 2020 frame in 2021.... i normally ride a frame for a few years and sell it .. so... the years matter to me.

With that said i've had a cervelo P5-six and a canyon speedmax slx - - Cervelo is way better made then canyon IMO. The fully adjustable front HUD would be a huge win to me vs the canyon where you have these super long bolts holding down the mono bar, it just feels like you're asking for something to go wrong (i had that problem with the slx while trying to achieve the needed stack height)

That being said... canyons integration on the new frame looks to be better then what cervelo has on its 2020 frames - - to include integrated front hydration... i was never a fan of being required to bolt on a profile design or xlab bottle.... till i came across this. Products | Custom Bike Xcessories

Its made me debate getting a 2020 px-series bike and adding the inframe hydration... at a cheaper cost then the new canyon.
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [Jae K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jae K wrote:
The beam bike style (no seat post) leaves me feeling fresher for my run—as a slow middle aged man I can use every help I can get on my run. :-)

In what way does the absence of a seat post benefit the fresness of your legs? I do like the looks of the P3X, but haven't heard this argument before.
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [Maca944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maca944 wrote:
Jae K wrote:
The beam bike style (no seat post) leaves me feeling fresher for my run—as a slow middle aged man I can use every help I can get on my run. :-)

In what way does the absence of a seat post benefit the fresness of your legs? I do like the looks of the P3X, but haven't heard this argument before.

I understand there are limitations to such qualitative claims. :-)
The Hoff seems to believe it—see around 1:37 in his report (YouTube below). And from my subjective POV, I agree with him—granted, the impact is likely less than tire choice, but still with all that time in the saddle, the small differences accrue, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtHAVX95S0E

It really is a very different “feel”. The drivetrain and bottom bracket are ultra stiff with immediate transduction of torque to the wheels and zero flex—however I feel a slight “float” feel on the saddle. I would not go as far as to say this is passive suspension—it is hard to describe. I thought this might have been just in my head until I switched out my road bike (BMC Roadmachine One which has a conventional rear triangle) for my Cervelo P3X on my Wahoo Kickr for a long indoor workout. When rear hub is completely locked in, it is immediately apparent there is indeed slight flex with the seat. I went back and forth in this experiment, and it is indeed real—anyone can try this. Whether or not this actually translates into any additional “freshness” coming off the bike is purely subjective and individual—I feel it, but fully admit this might be unconscious bias from having spent so much money on this thing. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [Maca944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Biased as I picked up my p3x up just before Christmas.

I held off choosing until canyon released the new Speedmax's, but once I saw them and the fact they'd changed the geo to shorter and taller and upped the prices I ruled them out. I know it's subjective but I personally think the new speedmax is quite ugly. I hadn't initially considered the p3x at full retail but the 2020 model was on offer at 30% off.

I think a lot depends on what prices you can negotiate, but if you can get the p3x on discount it's a no brainer. If there are issues you have dealer support. I've heard far too many tales of canyons cracking. The p3x is arguably faster as well.

Not been out on the road yet (too icy) but when fixed on the turbo there is some sway when you grab the saddle and wobble it, more so than a double diamond. Not noticeable when sat down and it's stiff where it's needed between bottom bracket and rear axle, but I would imagine this movement will dissipate road vibrations. Any of these vibrations are obviously also unable to travel directly up seat tube or seat stays to the saddle, because they don't exist. Whether or not this magnifies vibrations through the front end I'll have to wait and find out.

Build and finish quality of the cervelo is superb, and the front end is fantastic, so easy to make small adjustments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Just curious ST if you had to choose between these two bikes which would you choose and why? I am curious what the ST jury has to say.

Argon 18 e118 Tri+. Aero AF and comes in at 17lbs with disc brakes. Nothing else compares.
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [jn46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought a P3x too and I can second everything that’s been said. There is a slight flex laterally in the beam, if I’m really cranking on the trainer. It’s really easy to make micro adjustments. I love that I can independently adjust the fore/aft and the tilt of the saddle. The foam elbow pads get sweaty really easily, at least with indoor riding. If you configure the pursuit bars in the “down” position, which I do, the position is really low. The net change in my aero position is nearly negligible ; I.e. I’m not sitting “up” at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am looking to sell my almost new P3X with Zipp 858 NSW and super 9 wheelset. Refer to my post for more details and PM if keen. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [Chubbychums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Medium is way too small for me.😜

Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [Mbellis5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mbellis5 wrote:
right now i'd pick the canyon.... at least until cervelo releases their 2021 frames for the p3x and px series bikes.... just due to cost / value...or immediate devalue of a 2020 frame in 2021.... i normally ride a frame for a few years and sell it .. so... the years matter to me.

Unless there is a significant difference between a 2020 vs 2021 p3x/px, there is very little (if any) difference in value.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [Chubbychums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Price?
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Mbellis5 wrote:

Unless there is a significant difference between a 2020 vs 2021 p3x/px, there is very little (if any) difference in value.

I heard only colour schema has changed. But dont know release date

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I've heard that to. As long as they don't go orange it should be ok.

I called a bunch of LBS yesterday to see if they had any 2020 frames left. Everyone said no... everyone said that B2B doesn't even list the px / p3x-series bikes any more.

Seems like stock is out everywhere in the DC VA MD area.. at least that i can tell. Ill try and call a few more shops today and see... but if they don't drop a frame by Feb 10th. Then canyon will get my money.
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
TizzleDK wrote:

Argon 18 e118 Tri+. Aero AF and comes in at 17lbs with disc brakes. Nothing else compares.

This... had the 118 NEXT and it was fantastic. Aesthetically I can not stand the P3X, but that is just me. I’d go P5 or Canyon over P3X.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boilerup wrote:
Raw Vegan wrote:
TizzleDK wrote:

This... had the 118 NEXT and it was fantastic. Aesthetically I can not stand the P3X, but that is just me. I’d go P5 or Canyon over P3X.

I'm with you. P5 over Canyon (bulky) and P3X.
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boilerup wrote:
Raw Vegan wrote:
TizzleDK wrote:

Totally agree with this^^^^^^^. The P3X is a beast and from the dealer website it looks like they've really slimmed down the offerings. At a shop there were those wondering if they were phasing them out the options were so slim. I guess I would also say what is your terrain and race profiles? Hills on that P3x would not be a ball. The P5 is nice, but the new Argon is going to be a real game changer. I have 2 Argons and the weight, response and fit options are really amazing.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The p3x certainly isn't light. Mine with the alloy wheels in Large is about 10.2kg and the same weight as my xc hardtail. As discs take over though the weight penalty isn't as great as it used to be compared to when the p5x first came out, so not quite the beast it used to be. The new Plasma 6 in top spec is listed as 9.6kg, so really not much in it if you had the PX with the same spec. The canyons and argon still a few pounds lighter though. The e119 disc looks fantastic, a P5d with the tool storage that everyone wants.

The dealer I picked mine up from said they didn't know where cervelo was going with its Tri bike line, implying sales of the P5D for Tri are far greater than the px. He said they were doing a lot of P5d custom builds, mainly for women, and the reason the p3x models were reduced was to shift some stock. It doesn't help Cervelo that the flagship Tri model is overlooked by many in favour of the UCI legal p5d.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Speedmax SLX. Hated it. Handled like crap (it’s a really weird geometry with long chainstays and short front/center). Hard to set up. Didn’t travel well. Hard to get parts for. Mechanics hated working on it.

Had a PR5 and it was great, but wanted disc brakes.

Shiv Disc is what I have now. Love it. The bladder wing just makes so much sense. It puts weight and side winds where they make the most sense (low and behind the steering axis).
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that....although I like the Argon bikes I like the look of the P3X better. As for heavy bikes, I have Felt IA-10 from 2015 and that is HEAVY!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If getting the fastest possible bike is your concern then hands down it's the cervelo.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that....that makes the choice even easier.

Quote Reply

Prev Next