Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What goggles do you use? (And what is our poll missing?) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poll could have 2 questions.. what people use for training, and what they use for racing. I know for me this is quite different.

I use cheap Sporti's for training. At 7$ I don't think twice to replace them when I am not satisfied with their anti-fogging performance or when the nose clip starts yellowing.

For racing I use Roka R1 - work well for me (visibility, sealing).

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Re: What goggles do you use? (And what is our poll missing?) [Xavier500] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xavier500 wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
Magic 5

Game changer for me

Why a game changer?

Decades of swimming with leaky goggles

These don’t leak at all. Don’t even need to have the straps very tight. No more rings around the eyes from having to tighten them down

When I want a new pair I just login amd they already have my face scan so it takes moments to order and so far they fit great every time
Quote Reply
Re: What goggles do you use? (And what is our poll missing?) [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like the Roka R1s but the nose bridges break after about 3 months of use.
Quote Reply
Re: What goggles do you use? (And what is our poll missing?) [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Xavier500 wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
Magic 5

Game changer for me

Why a game changer?

Decades of swimming with leaky goggles

These don’t leak at all. Don’t even need to have the straps very tight. No more rings around the eyes from having to tighten them down

When I want a new pair I just login amd they already have my face scan so it takes moments to order and so far they fit great every time

I'll second this - I NEVER take them off from the moment into the pool until I get out - I never have had a goggle I could do that with. They are good open water - I am not a pool swimmer but do lots of diving stuff (read as: not a good diver haha) and they stay put. Favorite goggles ever.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: What goggles do you use? (And what is our poll missing?) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan,

For pool or open water?
Pool training=Speedo Vanquish for durability--
Open water/races= Better vision for peripheral

I don't use the same brand/model goggles for training as I do racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"aegend" is, supposedly, amazon's best selling swim goggle. but that goggle has not been once mentioned on our reader forum, which is curious to me.

I’ve been quite happy with the Aegend goggles from Amazon. My only recent comparison was a few pairs of Xterra’a and the Aegend’s are more comfortable and don’t leak for me. Maybe I don’t know what I’m missing but so far goggles haven’t been an item I’ve struggled with.
Last edited by: Lehrn2Lose: Jan 17, 22 22:12
Quote Reply
Re: What goggles do you use? (And what is our poll missing?) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to chime in and ask a similar question. I've tried a ton of goggles from cheap to expensive, from Swedes, to Magic5 when they first came out, and even Form when they first came out, but it wasn't until I tried "small face" sized/shaped that I found a pair that didn't leak. Those were the Phelps K180. So, I "use" Phelps branded goggles, but really only because that particular shape works for my face.

Maybe Dan is only concerned about the brand as purchase point, and thus shape isn't important, but I've recommended these to many people who also struggled with leaking goggles.
Quote Reply
Re: What goggles do you use? (And what is our poll missing?) [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-competitive swimmer here
I've always used one goggle for my races and training: Speedo Speedsocket
Maybe the mirror version to look "cooler" for races, don't blame me I was a kid back then haha (maybe still vain now)

I am completely new to tri races and I was gonna use the same goggle for my race in June, is that a bad idea?
They are very form fitting goggles that are an inner eye socket fit, I can't imagine them coming off during a race if that is a worry?
Quote Reply
Re: What goggles do you use? (And what is our poll missing?) [kvlin94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kvlin94 wrote:
Ex-competitive swimmer here
I've always used one goggle for my races and training: Speedo Speedsocket
Maybe the mirror version to look "cooler" for races, don't blame me I was a kid back then haha (maybe still vain now)

I am completely new to tri races and I was gonna use the same goggle for my race in June, is that a bad idea?
They are very form fitting goggles that are an inner eye socket fit, I can't imagine them coming off during a race if that is a worry?

It can be a concern, but you'll find the racers who are concerned will wear their normal swim cap, their goggles, then the event latex cap over their goggle straps. The biggest concerns are really if you dive in to start and a fellow competitor accidentally bumping the strap off your head.
Quote Reply
Re: What goggles do you use? (And what is our poll missing?) [Matt J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anyone is dying to try the Form goggles, shoot me a PM. I can't get them to fit without leaking and I'm not finding the pacing to be that accurate over a 25 yard pool. I'll send them to you and if you like them you can Venmo me some money, if you don't you can send them back. Form won't take them back because I didn't keep all the packaging, I do have all the important stuff like nose bridges, charger, and storage case. I've probably worn them twice.
Quote Reply
Re: What goggles do you use? (And what is our poll missing?) [Matt J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always wore my goggles underneath my cap during races

Do most people wear a silicone under the event latex cap? Just curious
Quote Reply
Re: What goggles do you use? (And what is our poll missing?) [kvlin94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kvlin94 wrote:
I always wore my goggles underneath my cap during races

Do most people wear a silicone under the event latex cap? Just curious

I think it probably depends on temps, but yes, I'd say in a wetsuit legal race you see probably 60% silicone then goggles then latex event cap.

20 or 30% goggles then latex event cap, and the rest goggles over the latex.

More goggles over with less mass starts these days, less contact in the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Matt!
I'll probably stick with goggles under latex, too many caps leads to trouble for my melon head haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goggles under cap. Just the race cap (for thermal reasons).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never wear caps except when racing and then often its just goggles then event latex cap. I don't think I have ever finished a race without one or two ears popping out!

I wear Zoggs goggles at the moment - had a pair of Swedes had been wearing for 2 or so years which were perfect but after doing a 10km race they gave me a strange feeling of numbess on my forehead and head for about 6 weeks afterwards. Will probably go back to swedes once the feeling of numbness goes completely away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im a speedo speed socket 2.0 mirrored.

I usually just get the white w the gold mirror but ordered a blue pair as well to change it up

Been in this goggle for maybe 7-8 years now

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedo Vanquish 2 for the pool

Arena Cobra Ultra for open water.

I saw you had a response rate of less than 1% for Arena so I wanted to throw my hat in the ring for them.
Quote Reply
Re: What goggles do you use? (And what is our poll missing?) [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Dan,

Do I recall correctly that you were a TYR Tracer guy due to eye socket depth/shape? I ask because they are what fits me the best, but the most recent iteration doesn't fit quite as well and am wondering what you have found as suitable alternatives base on shape/fit.

sorry for the delay on this. yeah, the tracer was fine. i switched to ROKA's F1, which is not ROKA's most hyped model. but the F1 has multiple bridges, and flows around my nose and sits into my beady deep eye sockets. i like ROKA because it fits, it's comfortable, and then dark amber lens is great. and they're cheap, relatively speaking. i load up when there's a 25% off sale, and i get them for maybe $18 each, something like that. i swim 100 percent of the time outdoors unless i'm traveling, and the dark amber is the lens for that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What goggles do you use? (And what is our poll missing?) [Lehrn2Lose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lehrn2Lose wrote:
Slowman wrote:
"aegend" is, supposedly, amazon's best selling swim goggle. but that goggle has not been once mentioned on our reader forum, which is curious to me.

I’ve been quite happy with the Aegend goggles from Amazon. My only recent comparison was a few pairs of Xterra’a and the Aegend’s are more comfortable and don’t leak for me. Maybe I don’t know what I’m missing but so far goggles haven’t been an item I’ve struggled with.

here's the weird thing about aegend. until this thread, this brand has never come up on this forum. but amazon says this is the best selling brand of theirs. i think one of those goggles has 50,000 reviews. there seems to be a real bifurcation between goggles used by competitive swimmers, and those used by very recreational swimmers. that's my only takeaway. not trying to throw shade on you! perhaps that's a goggle our folks here need to know about. but it's just an undiscussed goggle here, or has been.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What goggles do you use? (And what is our poll missing?) [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
For pool or open water?

poolm, unless you do most of your swimming in open water, in which case open water. wherever you do most of your swimming.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jan 20, 22 9:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swans FO2 optical both in the pool and open water.

http://www.tri-monkey.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Roka X1. Looks like they recently discontinued. As a 6'5" person, I appreciate the bigger size both for the fit on my face and open water siting. The price has always been great especially taking advantage of regular discount offers.

cock-up before conspiracy
Quote Reply
Re: What goggles do you use? (And what is our poll missing?) [alltom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

i came here to mention sable too - amazing goggles! what happened to the company though? their socials seem pretty dead.
Quote Reply
Re: What goggles do you use? (And what is our poll missing?) [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was given a pair that of BlueSeventy Element goggles a few years ago. I love them. Super comfortable, durable. Not too bulky. There may be better goggles, but I haven’t found them.

Am I the only one that finds the ROKA R1 goggles very uncomfortable? I am a big fan of that company’s wetsuits and customer service, but the goggles are painful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
our poll is up on this, as we prepare to "dive into" swim again. i just got back into the poll this week, after a 3mo layoff. so...

Speedo
Aqua Sphere
TYR
ROKA
Swedes
Barracuda
FORM
Zoggs
TheMagic5
Sporti
Phelps

am i missing an important brand? i'm curious about 2 brands. sporti seems to be pretty popular, but i know nothing about this brand. and, "aegend" is, supposedly, amazon's best selling swim goggle. but that goggle has not been once mentioned on our reader forum, which is curious to me.

Dan -

I think it would be interesting to cross reference swim ability with goggle. I see trends at the pool, but I'd bet some trends are universal. It's generally accepted that swedes and better swimmers usually trend. But what about the other goggles? Or do athlete's with a run background all trend to the same style? Might be too deep of a data dive though. Just a thought.

Badig| Strava

Last edited by: tjfry: Jan 21, 22 13:09
Quote Reply

Prev Next