Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Dr. Triax wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
No it's not. It's the definition of one. As is any such rigidly controlled relationship with food.

Soo, a "flexible uncontrolled" relationship with food, is the right thing? If you want to perform at (almost) anything, you better develop a more or less rigidly controlled relationship with it. Otherwise, it is caos, chance, luck... And as I understand it, rigidly controlled means a method. But I am not selling anything. Go with your own.

Nice strawman and false-dichotomy arguments all rolled into one.

Lmao! I think you hit a nerve with that truth serum Tom.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
My weight bounced all over the place last year. I got to a low of 145lbs (goal weight) and this offseason went close to 170lbs. It was brutal. I tried everything to get it off with no luck and stuck at 160lbs.

I'm now at 149lbs on a plant based diet. Lots of coffee (2 cups) and no limit on whole foods like oats, bananas, apples, kale, carrots, tomatoes, corn, chickpeas, black beans, edamame, lima beans, quinoa, wild rice, couscous, almond milk, peanut butter powder, etc.

I eat meat once or twice a week. It also has helped keep my blood sugar from spiking. No more cravings and binging on garbage.

Thanks for sharing this. I would have thought that all that carb heavy non meat food (that includes a lot of carbs) WOULD spike blood sugar even though its all good stuff versus a steak or chicken.

I went around 3 years of vegetarian and did get to my leanest ever, but it also came with a degree of calorie limitation. This was from 37-40 but it was just hard to maintain with business life. Right now I am ~5 lbs over my race weight between 37 and 40 but I am also 54 going soon to 55, so being within 5 lbs of my pre 40 year old race weight, which is also the same as my 19 year old weight is not that bad. I no longer try to calorie limit. I just eat to hunger. But pehaps I need to experiment a bit more with no meat as there are other reasons why it made me feel good.

As for the coffee, like you, 2 is my standard. I could easily go to 4 or 6 if I did not limit it. The quality of my sleep is better if I don't drink any caffeine after 12 pm. If quality of sleep is better, I stay leaner due to recovery being better.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [MatthewLigman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MatthewLigman wrote:
I am 35 and I noticed that weight has been increasingly hard to lose. Two years ago I was racing triathlon in the 151-157lbs weight range. I was doing olympic and half ironman racing. Last year I did my first full distance and two half ironman races I weighed in at 162lbs for the Ironman and was right around those weights for my 70.3 races which I did on back to back weekends. This year I am putting in more consistent workouts with solid intensity and I am having trouble losing the weight. I got up to 180lbs at one point this spring and have been bouncing between 169-176lbs for the last few months.

The changes to my routine have been the follow:

• Biking more consistently, at higher power, and for longer
  • Running at higher intensity but not doing as many LSD runs
  • Zero swimming, thanks COVID, but I never swam much anyway
  • I have cut out doing yoga. This is probably the biggest difference

I have added meat outside of shellfish back to the diet in the last year, but not much has changed diet wise other than that. I am eating more meat, though.

I am looking for some guidance on the changes you have made as you have aged and what has/has not worked for you. I know we are all different and what works for one person may not work for the next. But I have also read stories from folks about how things were just not the same a year later. I am looking forward to everyones response.

your weight gain has nothing to do with age. Its all the same formula - calories in / calories out. You're eating more. I hate this age-related weight loss crap. Your age is not an excuse.
Last edited by: triczyk: Jun 8, 20 14:39
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a lot of times people don’t realize how many calories are in certain things and how much is burned when exercising. It’s very easy for example to eat an extra 300 calories and not notice, but to spend those calories I’d have to up my easy trainer ride that day from ~60 minutes to ~90 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not searching for an excuse. Just wanted to share experiences.

Also, Your age absolutely matters. Your daily caloric needs decrease as you age and that starts to kick in around age 30.

You are correct that I should be counting calories. That is something that I have never done consistently.

My remedy is going to be the following:

• Running more
  • Counting calories

Ironman Lake Placid 2021| 70.3 Worlds St. George 2021
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [MatthewLigman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MatthewLigman wrote:

Also, Your age absolutely matters. Your daily caloric needs decrease as you age and that starts to kick in around age 30.

You are correct that I should be counting calories. That is something that I have never done consistently.

• Running more
  • Counting calories

I think all the aging stuff is an excuse with a touch of reality, but at age 35 its mainly an excuse. I am 54 going on 55. Eat pretty well the volume of food now as at 20, but my calories in are much cleaner and I train a bit more than when I was 20 (I cover less ground in that time, so it means I am doing less work per hour, so I can't eat as much volume from dirty calories, or if I do, I have to do more annual hours). I have not had a beer since age 25 and any wine since age 37 too. So that probably helps.

I think one of the keys to avoid the negative impact of aging is be good to your organs. They are the factory repairing your body every night. Treat your organs well and they will help you stay lean. If you do things that hurt your organs that's just going to gnaw away are your body composition over time. Alcohol is one of those items, but a lot of unneccessary medication that people take in all the time won't help long term if you don't let your body's own systems step up...and of course getting regular sleep and managing stress.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm finding that I need to better to my spleen, and my left kidney.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triczyk wrote:
MatthewLigman wrote:
I am 35 and I noticed that weight has been increasingly hard to lose. Two years ago I was racing triathlon in the 151-157lbs weight range. I was doing olympic and half ironman racing. Last year I did my first full distance and two half ironman races I weighed in at 162lbs for the Ironman and was right around those weights for my 70.3 races which I did on back to back weekends. This year I am putting in more consistent workouts with solid intensity and I am having trouble losing the weight. I got up to 180lbs at one point this spring and have been bouncing between 169-176lbs for the last few months.

I have added meat outside of shellfish back to the diet in the last year, but not much has changed diet wise other than that. I am eating more meat, though.

I am looking for some guidance on the changes you have made as you have aged and what has/has not worked for you. I know we are all different and what works for one person may not work for the next. But I have also read stories from folks about how things were just not the same a year later. I am looking forward to everyones response.

your weight gain has nothing to do with age. Its all the same formula - calories in / calories out. You're eating more. I hate this age-related weight loss crap. Your age is not an excuse.

Hah - tell that to my 18 year old self - I used to eat 2x what I eat now and not gain a pound despite trying super hard. Now at 45 I eat one extar thing and I gain weight. Age ABSOLUTELY matters for weight management. Just look at how many svelte 19 yr old Instagram models there are and compare to hwo many svelte 45yr old models there are...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triczyk wrote:
MatthewLigman wrote:

Speaking from a scientist's perspective this couldn't be more incorrect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triczyk wrote:
MatthewLigman wrote:

Have you ever heard that metabolism slows with age? It's why a 20 year old can eat a burger, fries, shake, for lunch and then smash pizza for dinner and not gain a pound. If you're 40 and try the same thing you come in 5 pounds heavier the next morning.

Calories in/out is huge, but to say age is an excuse simply isn't true. Age is a challenge in terms of keeping your weight down.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Have you ever heard that metabolism slows with age? It's why a 20 year old can eat a burger, fries, shake, for lunch and then smash pizza for dinner and not gain a pound. If you're 40 and try the same thing you come in 5 pounds heavier the next morning.

Calories in/out is huge, but to say age is an excuse simply isn't true. Age is a challenge in terms of keeping your weight down.

it wouldnt slow down if you did not eat those foods with damaged fats (fries, soybean oil in shake = transfats). Transfats lower testosterone and raise estrogen. And to add the excess sugars in the shake eventually those insulin spikes will get to you
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

it wouldnt slow down if you did not eat those foods with damaged fats (fries, soybean oil in shake = transfats). Transfats lower testosterone and raise estrogen. And to add the excess sugars in the shake eventually those insulin spikes will get to you

I can tell you I eat very clean at 42. Plant based diet with meat once or twice a week. I can gain weight very easy if I'm not extremely disciplined. When I was 20 I could eat anything and could not gain weight. Age is absolutely a big factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
synthetic wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

I can tell you I eat very clean at 42. Plant based diet with meat once or twice a week. I can gain weight very easy if I'm not extremely disciplined. When I was 20 I could eat anything and could not gain weight. Age is absolutely a big factor.

you missing my point? faster aging from earlier damage. the number means nothing. i know many 50-60 year olds beating on 20 year olds with out much degradation in their efforts
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha look at any age-adjusted world record graphs of race times, and it's pretty freaking obvious that there is a dropoff with age. Not as big a dropoff to say 'woe is me I'm 50, if I were 20 I'd be world champion' (not even close!) but definitely a real SMALL dropoff.

That dropoff gets progressive bigger until at 60+ it's major.

Tri is nice though in that most typical AGers don't start seriously training all 3 triathlon sports until their 30s, so even at age 50+ you might be still getting gains in your weakest discipline to offset your declining strong one. I came from a running background, and am definitely getting slightly slower with time, but my swim gains have completely offset those losses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
synthetic wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

you missing my point? faster aging from earlier damage. the number means nothing. i know many 50-60 year olds beating on 20 year olds with out much degradation in their efforts

Pretty please do some research rather than sticking with your incorrect premise. Time marches on for all and there are absolutely very well documented changes in body composition, hormones, metabolism with age even when correcting for all other factors. Sure, lifestyle absolutely has an impact on the slope of the slow decay, but nothing you do can make the line upsloping or even horizontal. Well maybe not nothing, you can go to an “anti-aging clinic” and get pumped full of testosterone but even that will eventually catch up.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [sylvius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sylvius wrote:
synthetic wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
synthetic wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

Pretty please do some research rather than sticking with your incorrect premise. Time marches on for all and there are absolutely very well documented changes in body composition, hormones, metabolism with age even when correcting for all other factors. Sure, lifestyle absolutely has an impact on the slope of the slow decay, but nothing you do can make the line upsloping or even horizontal. Well maybe not nothing, you can go to an “anti-aging clinic” and get pumped full of testosterone but even that will eventually catch up.

We all want to be "that guy" who defies the odds, but eventually everyone's metabolism and from that associated performance degrades. The question is how to manage this better than the general population and your peers in sport. Some of this is also luck and the parents you pick and some of it is nurture in terms of what your parents injected into you with respect to how you eat, your sleeping habits, stress management, how they taught you to interact with others to get "more wins in life and be happier". All those will add up to good anti aging. Its thousands of little things that keep your body composition good with age (and your metabolism high). But its a ton of work on a lot of small items all the time 24x7x52.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [sylvius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sylvius wrote:
synthetic wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
synthetic wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

That is my point, but sure get your 2 cents in. Otherwise we should all quit this sport at age 30 and go play golf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
sylvius wrote:
synthetic wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
synthetic wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

That is my point, but sure get your 2 cents in. Otherwise we should all quit this sport at age 30 and go play golf

It's a young man's sport. The top guys are the young ITU guys and gals. It doesn't mean we quit the sport we love or that it doesn't help keep us in shape, but to say age doesn't play a factor in weight gain isn't accurate.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
sylvius wrote:
synthetic wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
synthetic wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

We all want to be "that guy" who defies the odds, but eventually everyone's metabolism and from that associated performance degrades. The question is how to manage this better than the general population and your peers in sport. Some of this is also luck and the parents you pick and some of it is nurture in terms of what your parents injected into you with respect to how you eat, your sleeping habits, stress management, how they taught you to interact with others to get "more wins in life and be happier". All those will add up to good anti aging. Its thousands of little things that keep your body composition good with age (and your metabolism high). But its a ton of work on a lot of small items all the time 24x7x52.

I have highlighted a few items above as they are the entire point of starting this thread.

• Things change with age
  • What adjustments have you made
  • Did they help or hurt

Lets keep it going as I am liking a lot of the content that we are getting here.

Ironman Lake Placid 2021| 70.3 Worlds St. George 2021
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [Hammer Down] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hammer Down wrote:
triczyk wrote:

Speaking from a scientist's perspective this couldn't be more incorrect.

I think that, as a scentist, you're joking.

calories in vs. calories out always holds true.

Whatever your balance of that in / out is very bespoke to the person. whatever you want to call that balance (and how it changes over time) related to age or whatever, but its just a simple formula. this simple forumla will always hold true and is the only thing that matters.

end of story people.

and a 35 year old complaining about supposedly age-related issues is a joke. I'm 34 and I gain weight when I drink beer, eat like shit, and have a calorie surplus. duh.

also - to the commentor who related to his 19-year old self. I bet you that you burned a lot more calories "back in the day" - you walked more, ran more, stood up more, did manual-labor for work...you were passively more active.
Last edited by: triczyk: Jun 11, 20 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
MatthewLigman wrote:

• Running more
  • Counting calories

I think all the aging stuff is an excuse with a touch of reality, but at age 35 its mainly an excuse. I am 54 going on 55. Eat pretty well the volume of food now as at 20, but my calories in are much cleaner and I train a bit more than when I was 20 (I cover less ground in that time, so it means I am doing less work per hour, so I can't eat as much volume from dirty calories, or if I do, I have to do more annual hours). I have not had a beer since age 25 and any wine since age 37 too. So that probably helps.

I think one of the keys to avoid the negative impact of aging is be good to your organs. They are the factory repairing your body every night. Treat your organs well and they will help you stay lean. If you do things that hurt your organs that's just going to gnaw away are your body composition over time. Alcohol is one of those items, but a lot of unneccessary medication that people take in all the time won't help long term if you don't let your body's own systems step up...and of course getting regular sleep and managing stress.

quoted for truth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

wrong. that 18 year old also smashes: (1) manual labor, (2) running around, (3) probably not snacking because of (1 &2) and other active things.

so wrong man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triczyk wrote:

It does. But it's a bit of knowledge of only limited utility on its own, not a be-all, end-all of understanding how to manage body composition over a lifetime.

It's one of the guiding principles in a long, complex discussion. Not a simple maxim that explains everything.

It's useful at times to describe the body as a simple thermodynamics black box with one simple input and one simple output.

At other times, it's useful to expand beyond that to describe the body in terms closer to what it really is: an extraordinarily complex system symphony of chemical reactions, etc.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 11, 20 10:09
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
triczyk wrote:

It does. But it's a bit of knowledge of only limited utility on its own, not a be-all, end-all of understanding how to manage body composition over a lifetime.

It's one of the guiding principles in a long, complex discussion. Not a simple maxim that explains everything.

I'm addmintantly on a tear here, but in regards to solving for the equation of "lose / maintain / gain" weight - it always holds true.

understanding the inputs to that equation - yes, it varies. its complicated. but the formula will never let you down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triczyk wrote:
its complicated. but the formula will never let you down.

It has, though, when used alone. Simply telling people to track calories and eat less to achieve a calorie deficit, without any other real education has proven to be very ineffective at achieving long-term improvement in body composition. Simply pointing at those people and saying, "No willpower!" isn't particularly useful.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 11, 20 10:11
Quote Reply

Prev Next