Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age
Quote | Reply
I am 35 and I noticed that weight has been increasingly hard to lose. Two years ago I was racing triathlon in the 151-157lbs weight range. I was doing olympic and half ironman racing. Last year I did my first full distance and two half ironman races I weighed in at 162lbs for the Ironman and was right around those weights for my 70.3 races which I did on back to back weekends. This year I am putting in more consistent workouts with solid intensity and I am having trouble losing the weight. I got up to 180lbs at one point this spring and have been bouncing between 169-176lbs for the last few months.

The changes to my routine have been the follow:

• Biking more consistently, at higher power, and for longer
  • Running at higher intensity but not doing as many LSD runs
  • Zero swimming, thanks COVID, but I never swam much anyway
  • I have cut out doing yoga. This is probably the biggest difference

I have added meat outside of shellfish back to the diet in the last year, but not much has changed diet wise other than that. I am eating more meat, though.

I am looking for some guidance on the changes you have made as you have aged and what has/has not worked for you. I know we are all different and what works for one person may not work for the next. But I have also read stories from folks about how things were just not the same a year later. I am looking forward to everyones response.

Ironman Lake Placid 2021| 70.3 Worlds St. George 2021
Last edited by: MatthewLigman: Jun 5, 20 8:40
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [MatthewLigman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MatthewLigman wrote:
I am 35 and I noticed that weight has been increasingly hard to lose. Two years ago I was racing triathlon in the 151-157lbs weight range. I was doing olympic and half ironman racing. Last year I did my first full distance and two half ironman races I weighed in at 162lbs for the Ironman and was right around those weights for my 70.3 races which I did on back to back weekends. This year I am putting in more consistent workouts with solid intensity and I am having trouble losing the weight. I got up to 180lbs at one point this spring and have been bouncing between 169-176lbs for the last few months.

The changes to my routine have been the follow:

• Biking more consistently, at higher power, and for longer
  • Running at higher intensity but not doing as many LSD runs
  • Zero swimming, thanks COVID, but I never swam much anyway
  • I have cut out doing yoga. This is probably the biggest difference

I have added meat outside of shellfish back to the diet in the last year, but not much has changed diet wise other than that. I am eating more meat, though.

I am looking for some guidance on the changes you have made as you have aged and what has/has not worked for you. I know we are all different and what works for one person may not work for the next. But I have also read stories from folks about how things were just not the same a year later. I am looking forward to everyones response.

This is for future you, but keeping your weight in check in the winter/off season is one of my strategies. I've had similar swings in weight in the off season and came to realize that it's easier to maintain a good weight than it is to lose unwanted weight. I'm 43 now, and that last few years I've made a few changes. One of them that works for me is to set myself up with smaller portions for the meals that I can. For example, I do a protein shake for breakfast after my morning workout vs eating cereal where I can just keep refilling the bowl. Once the shake is gone I'm done. Same for lunch, I only bring to work what I want myself to eat for lunch and snacks. My final strategy is running more. I've almost doubled my bike volume in the past 6 months with very little effect on my weight, but as I've increased running ever-so-slightly, the weight has melted off. Good luck!

"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time."
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [MatthewLigman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much ice cream do you eat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The biggest difference for me to lose or maintain weight while training is the timing of eating-when it comes to longer training sessions that go with 70.3 and IM training. I have a better fueling plan after hard or long workouts today at 47 than I did at 35 (and younger). Just the simple idea of replacing half of the calories that I "burned" within an hour of my longer sessions and then 2-4 hours after that replace the other half has helped me tremendously. It was literally a "pro" tip I got from a triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My weight bounced all over the place last year. I got to a low of 145lbs (goal weight) and this offseason went close to 170lbs. It was brutal. I tried everything to get it off with no luck and stuck at 160lbs.

I'm now at 149lbs on a plant based diet. Lots of coffee (2 cups) and no limit on whole foods like oats, bananas, apples, kale, carrots, tomatoes, corn, chickpeas, black beans, edamame, lima beans, quinoa, wild rice, couscous, almond milk, peanut butter powder, etc.

I eat meat once or twice a week. It also has helped keep my blood sugar from spiking. No more cravings and binging on garbage.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Lots of coffee (two cups) ...

You and I have very different definitions of "lots of coffee".

The day doesn't start until #4.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At age 35 I weighed 150. At age 45, I weight 210. The gain was gradual over that decade. But, at that point, I said "F*** that!".

I cut alcohol back to weekends only, cutout almost all sweets, dropped calories consumed down below total expended... And lost the 60 pounds over ~9 months.

Today at 51 years old, I weigh 145...4 lbs more than when I turned 19. Granted it took open heart surgery, two weeks in the hospital and some nasty drugs to loose those last 5 lbs.
:o). Not really the best approach.

But today, I eat a shit ton less food than when I was 19, 25, 35,or 45. My body just doesn't burn it. At 30 I was consuming 5000 cal per day. Today it's half that. So, you have to learn how much to eat.

I don't replenish after workouts much anymore... Except maybe the long ride....and occasionally the long run. As mentioned above, if I do... I replace about 1/3rd or so. Not the whole balance.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Lots of coffee (2 cups)

You lost all credibility with that statement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, first off, I don't think aging really kicks in until around 40. At least, I did not notice anything odd until then and was as fast as ever when I was 37-39. I had a job transition where i was time-limited and at 42 or 43 I jumped back in and could not even touch my previous training levels.
Now, I don't know how people that train gain weight. Maybe it is because I never stop training and so I am always burning calories and thus never gain weight. That said, for the first time in the last twenty years, I gained about 10 pounds in December in large part because the weather was horrible (almost no cycling), I got sick (very little running) and because my daughter and I bake (and eat) goodies together every Christmas. So I ate the same amount but trained very little.
It took me three months to get back to normal and that meant I had to start doing 10-15 hours a week again upon which point my body just finds its equilibrium and I'm good.
Consistency in training and eating is the key to keeping things steady. I know exactly how much I train from my logbook, but eating is just eating. I would not even know why I gained weight last winter if it were not for the specific season where I know I eat a lot of baked sweats.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
Lots of coffee (2 cups)

You lost all credibility with that statement.

Good to know I'm not overconsuming. Lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdw wrote:
Well, first off, I don't think aging really kicks in until around 40. At least, I did not notice anything odd until then and was as fast as ever when I was 37-39. I had a job transition where i was time-limited and at 42 or 43 I jumped back in and could not even touch my previous training levels.
Now, I don't know how people that train gain weight. Maybe it is because I never stop training and so I am always burning calories and thus never gain weight. That said, for the first time in the last twenty years, I gained about 10 pounds in December in large part because the weather was horrible (almost no cycling), I got sick (very little running) and because my daughter and I bake (and eat) goodies together every Christmas. So I ate the same amount but trained very little.
It took me three months to get back to normal and that meant I had to start doing 10-15 hours a week again upon which point my body just finds its equilibrium and I'm good.
Consistency in training and eating is the key to keeping things steady. I know exactly how much I train from my logbook, but eating is just eating. I would not even know why I gained weight last winter if it were not for the specific season where I know I eat a lot of baked sweats.

Diet is everything. The sweets are what caused your gain. You were almost certainly taking in a lot more calories than normal. Regular training helps, but as they say you can't out train a bad diet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 45, LD triathlete. Use to eat a lot. Train always a lot, +16h/week year average, even during locked down. Close to 172lb (6'0) all year round. At the beginning of the locked down I started with the intermittent fasting just to stay focus on something new. Because of my family dynamic, I went for 19:5 for 6 days, then a 24h fasting the 7th (no training day). Did it for 10 weeks straight, then eased a little. Now I'm thinner than ever, and going hard on SBR.
In the 5h window I would eat twice, the first meal as much as I could put in (110% full), mostly complex carbs (mix of oat&cereal, fruit), dairy and +85% pure chocolate. The second and last with a big % of either meat, eggs, or fish, with potatoes/rice/bread, and greens (90% full). Repeat next day. It worked for me.

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Last edited by: Dr. Triax: Jun 7, 20 6:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've eaten less.

After dinner (around 5 p.m.), I don't eat again until 9-10ish a.m. unless I'm doing a harder/longer ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [Dr. Triax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Triax wrote:
I'm 45, LD triathlete. Use to eat a lot. Train always a lot, +16h/week year average, even during locked down. Close to 172lb (6'0) all year round. At the beginning of the locked down I star with the intermittent fasting just to stay focus on something new. Because of my family dynamic, I went for 19:5 for 6 days, then a 24h fasting the 7th (no training day). Did it for 10 weeks straight, then eased a little. Now I'm thinner than ever, and going hard on SBR.
In the 5h window I would eat twice, the first meal as much as I could put in (110% full), mostly complex carbs (mix of oat&cereal, fruit), dairy and +85% pure chocolate. The second and last with a big % of either meat, eggs, or fish, with potatoes/rice/bread, and greens (90% full). Repeat next day. I worked for me.

Is the 19:5 thing meaning you go 19 hours without food/drink other than water and only consume calories during that 5 hour window? If so, how do you stack that around your workouts? I am interested in learning more about this method and if I am understanding it correctly.

Ironman Lake Placid 2021| 70.3 Worlds St. George 2021
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MatthewLigman wrote:
Dr. Triax wrote:
I'm 45, LD triathlete. Use to eat a lot. Train always a lot, +16h/week year average, even during locked down. Close to 172lb (6'0) all year round. At the beginning of the locked down I star with the intermittent fasting just to stay focus on something new. Because of my family dynamic, I went for 19:5 for 6 days, then a 24h fasting the 7th (no training day). Did it for 10 weeks straight, then eased a little. Now I'm thinner than ever, and going hard on SBR.
In the 5h window I would eat twice, the first meal as much as I could put in (110% full), mostly complex carbs (mix of oat&cereal, fruit), dairy and +85% pure chocolate. The second and last with a big % of either meat, eggs, or fish, with potatoes/rice/bread, and greens (90% full). Repeat next day. I worked for me.

Is the 19:5 thing meaning you go 19 hours without food/drink other than water and only consume calories during that 5 hour window? If so, how do you stack that around your workouts? I am interested in learning more about this method and if I am understanding it correctly.

Yes, 19h with 0 calories intake. Just water/tea.
What I did: Woke up around 5:30am. First session fasted. Eat. 3-4 hours later, second session. Eat. Done training & eating till next day.
Now, with more intense workouts, I have a glass of milk before bed... technically breaking the 19h fasting. I'm not interested anymore in the beneficial effects (??) of the intermittent fasting, I rather focus in my performance. But the truth is that I am not experiencing any hunger during the fasting period. I guess having 0 anxiety/stress helps.

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [Dr. Triax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Triax wrote:
MatthewLigman wrote:
Dr. Triax wrote:

Yes, 19h with 0 calories intake. Just water/tea.
What I did: Woke up around 5:30am. First session fasted. Eat. 3-4 hours later, second session. Eat. Done training & eating till next day.
Now, with more intense workouts, I have a glass of milk before bed... technically breaking the 19h fasting. I'm not interested anymore in the beneficial effects (??) of the intermittent fasting, I rather focus in my performance. But the truth is that I am not experiencing any hunger during the fasting period. I guess having 0 anxiety/stress helps.

Where is the line between intermittent fasting and an eating disorder? Perhaps for a week or two, but not eating for around 20 hours (especially while training) is not healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Where is the line between intermittent fasting and an eating disorder? Perhaps for a week or two, but not eating for around 20 hours (especially while training) is not healthy.

hmmm intermittent fasting is pretty much the opposite of an eating disorder ...

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No it's not. It's the definition of one. As is any such rigidly controlled relationship with food.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I aim to eat 10 servings of fruits or vegetables daily. Portion size; the size of your palm. If you eat that much fruit and vegetables it leaves less room for more calorie dense foods.

Eat to fuel. I eat enough so that I feel good and able to train but I really, really try to limit over-eating or mindlessly consuming foods.

Don't let myself get too hungry. If I get to the point where I am famished, I tend to overeat when I do sit down to food.

Don't deny yourself foods. For me, deciding to not eat chocolate chip cookies makes it so all I do is think about chocolate chip cookies.

Lastly, don't gain weight! If you get up five pounds in weight, start making changes now. I cannot figure out how some people gain 15-30 pounds in the "off-season" and then expect to get back down to race weight. Maybe that works at 25, but it gets harder every year. Don't do it!

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

hmmm intermittent fasting is pretty much the opposite of an eating disorder ...

Whenever I need to shake my head and roll my eyes, Ill know where to find you. What are you talking about? Just explain it to me like Im a 5 year old.

Intermittent fasting is not in itself disordered eating but it sure isn't the opposite of one. Rigid and super focussed food habits are a cornerstone of eating disorders so IF is definitely closer to that end of the spectrum than someone who eats 3 squares a day and doesn't sweat the details.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
No it's not. It's the definition of one. As is any such rigidly controlled relationship with food.

My thoughts exactly. I'd love for someone to explain how consuming zero calories for 20 straight hours every day especially while training is healthy.

There are times when I really need a boost via calorie consumption and would be in a bad way without it. I just don't see how this works.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

Soo, a "flexible uncontrolled" relationship with food, is the right thing? If you want to perform at (almost) anything, you better develop a more or less rigidly controlled relationship with it. Otherwise, it is caos, chance, luck... And as I understand it, rigidly controlled means a method. But I am not selling anything. Go with your own.

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Triax wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

Soo, a "flexible uncontrolled" relationship with food, is the right thing? If you want to perform at (almost) anything, you better develop a more or less rigidly controlled relationship with it. Otherwise, it is caos, chance, luck... And as I understand it, rigidly controlled means a method. But I am not selling anything. Go with your own.

There is a difference between rigidly controlled and controlled. As he said, rigidly controlled (not flexible) = bad. Controlled (with flexibility) = good.

Every diet involves a degree of control and willpower. Rigidly controlled diets are a recipe for problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss, Gain, & Changing Your Program With Age [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:

Don't deny yourself foods. For me, deciding to not eat chocolate chip cookies makes it so all I do is think about chocolate chip cookies.

!

or find a good alternative, such as quest bar cookies. most cookies use damaged fats(vegetable oils) that cause inflammation, or excess sugar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Triax wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

Nice strawman and false-dichotomy arguments all rolled into one.
Quote Reply

Prev Next