Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [ScoutMac187] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What?!? How does a doctor screw up a vasectomy? Seems about as basic as possible. Cut the tube, and burn the ends of the tube. Am I missing something?
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been out riding the last 2 days. No pain, and actually forgot I had it done. I took about 2.5 weeks off, but glad I did. Now I just need to keep riding to make up for lost time!

Thanks guys. Hopefully this will help someone else down the road too.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [tobrien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Good question. I have no idea but you basically have no recourse if they screw up. You sign your life away.

He did attempt to say that maybe my wife was cheating, I told him to leave the room before I get violent.

About the only thing you can do is leave bad reviews everywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was running again after 2 weeks of nothing, but YMMV. I also stayed off the bike for 4 weeks, but running was no problem after week 2. Welcome to the shooting blanks club.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for going back to normal activity (swim,bike and run)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other data point. Done two days ago. 8 days after our baby girl’s arrival.
Mild discomfort the day of. Not much at all yesterday. No pain at all today. So will run. No ice and no ibuprofen either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reading over this thread it sounds like recovery times can vary depending, in part, on the person performing the procedure. So, if finding the right doc helps, any chance anyone could recommend a doctor in Connecticut??
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a minor surgical procedure. The likelihood of genuine disaster is low. And the odds of inconvenient recovery are probably more random than skill-based. (Bold statement from someone who has not reviewed any stats.)

You asked for recommendations ...

You will find urologists who do it under local anesthetic in the office and urologists who do it under sedation in a surgical suite. You are going to find family docs who do it the final Friday afternoon of every month, or whatever, for that matter. And you will find somebody who is a vasectomy wizard.

I am an ER doc. I don't do vasectomies. But I do occasionally see the swollen bruised painful post-surgical scrotum. I have only seen infections like once or twice over the past decade.

FWIW, mine was done by a family medicine resident in clinic. About as painful as a dental procedure. Which is to say that it was uncomfortable, it made me sweat, and then it was done. I walked home because there was no alternative. I commuted to school via bike the next day. I waited a week before biking hard. Probably another week before I ran hard. For half a year I had a faint ache after exercise, like the lingering echo of getting kicked in the nuts. This is not a description of stoicism; this is the voice of a whimpy man who complains a lot when he doesn't feel well. I don't regret any portion of it; everything was well within acceptable boundaries.

My point is that I had the least skilled person available perform my procedure and it worked out fine. I could have gone to the most expert of experts and had a suboptimal outcome. Luck, luck, luck. Hope I haven't rubbed any urologists wrong. Glad to be corrected if I deserve it.

I was pleasantly suprised by the positive impact on our sex life. I think I had grown accustomed to the constant low grade anxiety of unintended pregnancy. It was liberating.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [toddstr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, this is helpful perspective. My wife’s OB has someone she recommends, so I’ll plan on starting there and setting up a consultation.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going with your wife’s OB’s rec. That’s a solid decision, for all the reasons. Best wishes, happy marriage, happy racing. Let us know how it goes.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [ScoutMac187] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScoutMac187 wrote:

The first one required a month before I was pain free-ish. About 2-3 weeks before I felt like having a workout.
The long recovery may explain while the first one failed and I now have FOUR children, Ha!!!

The second one, yes I've had two, I was back on my feet and crushing workouts (and my wife unit) within days.
I went to some master vasectomy doctor who has his own patented technique and it finally took.

On a side note a buddy of mine used the same first doctor and he now has a fourth kid after a vasectomy. Choose your doctor wisely.

Aren't you supposed to check for 'swimmers in the water' before taking off the raincoat? Mine took only a day to get back running again; but based on feedback from my spouse, my primary birth control is my personality.

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
4 days
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I nearly killed myself (and others) as I thought I was fine after the snip, so drove home. Which was fine until I got half way back on the freeway and then I started sweating profusely, and my vision started literally closing in from the sides. Window open, aircon on max and deep breaths...

Actually was not too bad after a couple of days. Cycling was first back, then swimming and running, and last thing that did take 3 weeks was pilates.

As mentioned, need to keep using whatever you were until you've proven that the snip took. I've seen many stories of the bonus baby on here, and I know of a couple IRL too.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [khouryd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple of six packs & two weeks. One week was enough but I worried about my junk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
24 hours of icing and rest. I was back to normal exercise/activity wise 3 days later. No scalpels were used either. I was 38 then (2019) and have a fast recovery and metabolism rate. So yeah, my n-1 would not matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s been 25 years, I’m still getting over it…
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two sterile test results 30 days apart is what I think makes you officially sterile. That’s what I was told a long time ago. I remember I only did one test and bailed on the second one.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
khouryd wrote:
30/40 days

for complete healing or until you're back to normal activity?
i've been considering one but don't like the sound of that timeframe.

I wouldn't worry about it. I had mine on a Friday, sat around over the weekend and went running on Monday. It was a little uncomfortable, but I was back to normal levels of training within a week. It was not a big deal at all.

Or you could skip it, have another child and be exhausted in training for several years. ; )
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [phoenixR34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had it done during lunch, never missed a min or work but went for a long ride 2 or 3 days after and pissed blood pretty bad that night... kind of a sign to slow it down.

Zero issues after a week or so, but you can tell by this thread that results vary widely.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [slow turtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another data point - procedure on a Thursday PM. It's Tuesday now. Out of commission from any working out and even didn't enjoy walking much for 3-4 days. Day 5 now, and thinking about an easy :30 on the trainer. Doc said to give it a go on day 5 and stop if it hurts!

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took one day off work just because but didn't really need to. Rode my beach cruiser 2 days after. Back to typical activity levels within a few days. I had no significant pain, just minor discomfort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recovery time depends a lot on whether it was voluntary or involuntary.
Last edited by: michael Hatch: Mar 2, 22 20:18
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if any impact or change did you notice in your libido, comparing pre- to post-vasc? And I’m asking specifically about “internal” drive, not the liberation aspect that’s often mentioned.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think I've noticed much change. I'd say about the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine was perhaps not the most serious response of this thread......:0)
Quote Reply

Prev Next