Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vasectomy Recovery time for you?
Quote | Reply
It will be 2 weeks Thursday the 30th. I feel pretty decent. I played golf today (rode cart). I want to get out and ride, but not overdo it. I obviously will be playing smart and am considering going 2 weeks, or if I feel good, might ride a bit Tues or Wednesday.

Surgery area seems to be doing great. I've been religiously putting on bacitracin.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
30/40 days
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [khouryd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
khouryd wrote:
30/40 days

for complete healing or until you're back to normal activity?
i've been considering one but don't like the sound of that timeframe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me was a walk in the park.
No pain, no swelling. I iced it as instructed just because. I was on my bike doing hill repeats a few days later (mostly standing on pedals just in case). Was back to normal riding a little over a week after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a scalpel-less vasectomy at 115pm on the Tuesday afternoon. I was on the bike and Zwift racing at 8am Saturday morning with zero discomfort whatsoever. That was with the surgeon's directions too. He was more than happy for me to do that. I was on ibuprofen for 24 hours and had ice on it that afternoon, but after a few days of wearing Skins compression shorts, I was without any pain. I was at work the next day without dramas either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The first one required a month before I was pain free-ish. About 2-3 weeks before I felt like having a workout.
The long recovery may explain while the first one failed and I now have FOUR children, Ha!!!

The second one, yes I've had two, I was back on my feet and crushing workouts (and my wife unit) within days.
I went to some master vasectomy doctor who has his own patented technique and it finally took.

On a side note a buddy of mine used the same first doctor and he now has a fourth kid after a vasectomy. Choose your doctor wisely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 days
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a buddy who was back to normal life in a few days and training hard comfortably in about a week
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had mine on a Friday. Rested and iced all weekend. On Monday I was running with some twinges of slight discomfort. By Wednesday training was back to normal.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
I had a buddy who was back to normal life in a few days and training hard comfortably in about a week

This was my experience as well, I did switch to a ISM Adamo saddle for a few days to avoid any direct contact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty similar to others with quick recovery. Ibuprofen and ice the afternoon after, back into work the next day, able to lift 2 days later and normal activities within 5 days.

Go at the speed you're comfortable with. Buddy of mine had discomfort for 6 weeks after his, while mine was decidedly shorter/non-existent.

💀 Fxck Cancer Endurance Team 💀
âš¡ï¸âš¡ï¸ PLUSH Global âš¡ï¸âš¡ï¸

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took a week. Felt good enough to workout after about 5 days but stuck to the plan and eased back into training after 7.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was back on the bike within a week, but had some pain issues about 6 weeks after. Re-visited doc, but took care of the issues with acetaminophen. No problems since.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [ScoutMac187] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScoutMac187 wrote:

The first one required a month before I was pain free-ish. About 2-3 weeks before I felt like having a workout.
The long recovery may explain while the first one failed and I now have FOUR children, Ha!!!

The second one, yes I've had two, I was back on my feet and crushing workouts (and my wife unit) within days.
I went to some master vasectomy doctor who has his own patented technique and it finally took.

On a side note a buddy of mine used the same first doctor and he now has a fourth kid after a vasectomy. Choose your doctor wisely.

That's funny (crushing the wife). I would have been pissed about having another kid and needing to get ANOTHER vasectomy.

I am impressed that everyone seems to have had a good recovery rate. That makes me feel better about getting back onto the bike and going for a ride.

Thanks guys.

Some of you are crazy for jumping back so quick. I can't imagine trudging through some runs with nut pain!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had my done in the afternoon and the only complaint I had was the smell of the cauterization. I will never forget that smell.

I walked 5km the next day after icing the night before as much as possible. Was running 4-5 days after with no issue and was riding not long after that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I felt fine after a couple of days... laid of training for 2 weeks out of paranoia for my boys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I had mine on a Friday and took an aspirin the first two nights and that was all I needed for pain relief. I said I'd take a week off the bike but I had to give a demo at work and ended up riding VERY easy about 3 days afterwards without issue. I was back riding pretty much full time in less than a week BUT i did all my riding indoors for a month. I figured indoors was pretty safe because 1) i had complete control over how hard I went and 2) i could immediately stop riding if I felt any discomfort. I didn't do anything about Z3 for the first couple weeks and then slowly added intensity. No sprinting or standing climbing and also avoided really low cadence and high power for that first month as well.

Zwift ... the ultimate vasectomy recovery program! Smile

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had mine the morning before I left on a long driving trip for work. Think I was running within a few days. Wasn't biking at the time. I don't recall the Dr making any recommendations on limiting activity. Was I not supposed to do that? Don't remember it being a big deal.

It worked. No babies since. And we were fertile before. Three intentional or unintentional unprotected opportunities, four babies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was pretty patient in my return to training, and also "strategically" planned it at the end of race season. Had mine done in the UK, the doc said 14 days of no cycling or running. Probably could have gotten back to it early, but his words of "this is something you don't want to screw up" are something that stuck with me, and yes he's right, if you're getting one, you're doing it for a reason ;) So I listened, took 14 days off training and resumed with no issues on day 15. Nothing out of the ordinary, other than the general symptoms that are common the first few days.

Good luck and only advice I have, don't complain about it to your partner if they've carried and delivered your children.............. ;)

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam a day later, rode two days later and ran 3 days later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine was about 30 years ago. I'm still not over it.

Actually, it was a few days (less than a week). My dad said he had his done in the morning and went bowling that evening (Ouch! it still hurts me to think about that).

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine was super easy.

Had it on a Thursday, was at work the next day, walking around my kids soccer game two days later. Gym that Monday, and was swim, bike, running within a week.

I had some uncomfortable nights sleeping (stomach/side sleeper) about 2 weeks post op, otherwise that was it.

Also, my Doc is a former triathlete so we had a dragged out 10min conversation about 70.3 racing during my entire procedure.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasectomy Recovery time for you? [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No complaints from me. I'm doing well and really haven't had any negative issues. Pain was minimal and I didn't feel a thing during the whole procedure. Getting valium and something else 30 mins beforehand made a huge difference!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drove myself home and was back on the bike on the weekend. It was the no scalpel, which means they stick a needle in, work it around to make the hole bigger, then use increasingly larger forceps to enlarge the hole. Weird watching them do that. Weird to also see smoke coming from your balls while they burn the cut ends. Doctor burned mine quite a bit. I was beginning to think there might be a new pope. No big deal. The worst part was the bruising to my shaft, where the doctor used a rubber band and forceps clipped to my shirt to hold it out of the way. That bruised me.

In terms of bike repair, you have to bleed the lines really good after the procedure. Then test the new fluid to be sire it is no long OEM. Until you test negative twice, assume the repair was not successful.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 months for me before getting back on the bike. I tried after a couple of weeks and a few times after that but could only manage 2 minutes pain free. I decided to take off a whole month after that and eased into 30 minutes every other day. I'm setting peak powers on the bike this month. Vasectomy date was 12-10-19. Scalpel technique.

Be smart, listen to your body and recover as necessary. I got really down from reading where everybody was back on the bike that weekend or the following week. Some people just heal slower than others. I focused on swimming and made massive gains in that area while off the bike.

Best of luck!
Quote Reply

Prev Next