Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Thanks everyone for their input. Honestly, the writing is on the wall & I need to upgrade my ride, period.

Where'd you get that idea? Tubulars are going to get even more fringe since pros are going tubeless, but the rest of your bike is fine. Get some non-disc Hed Jets or similar, and you'll be good for a long time. You'll be able to run any clincher or tubeless tire, and the aluminum brake tracks mean you won't have an issue stopping.

Not that you really need new wheels, even. What are your current race wheels? Do you have a training set also?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp 404 front, Zipp 900 rear, 10 sp.
Training set are DT Swiss aluminum custom (by Excel Sports).
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fine equipment!
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Rocky M wrote:
Thanks everyone for their input. Honestly, the writing is on the wall & I need to upgrade my ride, period.

Where'd you get that idea? Tubulars are going to get even more fringe since pros are going tubeless, but the rest of your bike is fine. Get some non-disc Hed Jets or similar, and you'll be good for a long time. You'll be able to run any clincher or tubeless tire, and the aluminum brake tracks mean you won't have an issue stopping.

Not that you really need new wheels, even. What are your current race wheels? Do you have a training set also?

Are they going tubeless though? A few teams in the TDF were on tubeless but still lots on tubular. If tubeless tires were a far superior product, tubulars would have been ditched a long time ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
rruff wrote:
Rocky M wrote:

Are they going tubeless though? A few teams in the TDF were on tubeless but still lots on tubular. If tubeless tires were a far superior product, tubulars would have been ditched a long time ago.

I was about to say this. The die hard euros will hold onto the tubies for years to come. At minimum they will remain for the context of the track world. The lesser known companies or companies that issue different tires to the pros and consumers might kill off their tubular line but I can’t see companies like Vittoria or veloflex taking this path any time soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
At minimum they will remain for the context of the track world.

Yet Bigham used tubeless tires for his hour record...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d imagine quite a few pros would be racing on tubeless in Kona. I wonder if this is because they think it’s the best option for them or simply because it’s what they perceive to be the latest technology? I remember a pro a few years ago racing Kona on Gatorskins and just thinking there must be some pros that just have no clue about bike technology.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I’d imagine quite a few pros would be racing on tubeless in Kona. I wonder if this is because they think it’s the best option for them or simply because it’s what they perceive to be the latest technology? I remember a pro a few years ago racing Kona on Gatorskins and just thinking there must be some pros that just have no clue about bike technology.

I think it's simply a "scale of economy" situation. There was a time when I trained on tubulars. Now, I never see anyone using them outside racing. Why? Because there is a big difference between a $100 tire that can be easily repaired, and a $100 tire that can not be easily repaired. The people reading this thread are a miniscule percentage of world-wide bicycle tire usage. Perhaps we need bumper stickers that read "Life is Too Short Not to Ride Tubulars" !!
Last edited by: Hanginon: Oct 2, 22 18:39
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On my TT I train and race on tubulars different wheels and tyres though.
(Training on old Planet X 50/82 first on Conti competition, then on gatorskins-both last crazy long, racing on 404FC w/cover on veloflex)

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After the ascent of good tubeless sealants, I've yet to bin a tub which isn't outright destroyed with a 5mm+ cut, extreme braking (racing crash, for instance) or fully worn (which usually happens slightly faster than tubeless tyres, though). All other ordinary punctures usually seal fine, and you continue using the tyre.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Took me a while to figure out as I speak Alabamian, but I'm assuming "bin a tub" means discard a tubular tire.

What tubeless sealants have worked well for you in tubulars, if I may ask?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Ohio_Roadie wrote:

And that was mind blowing for pretty much every trackie I’ve talked to. Also riding for an hour at the black is much different than either sprints or mass start racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Took me a while to figure out as I speak Alabamian, but I'm assuming "bin a tub" means discard a tubular tire.

What tubeless sealants have worked well for you in tubulars, if I may ask?

Is there any differnce between tubeless and tubular sealant.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ganna is slated to use them on Sat also.

The wheels and tires are definitely heavier, but that won't be an issue for the HR. We can only assume that there is a Crr benefit to using them... and the only way I can see that being true is if the small contact patch of a super high pressure tire does not optimally interact with the surface. Hysteresis losses in the boards... or maybe vibration as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria have a new tub out - Corsa Pro. Looks good.

Last edited by: zedzded: May 13, 23 16:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:

Corsa Pro is also available tub-less. :) (I will forever think "tubular" when I hear "tub" or "tubby.")

Interestingly, the tubeless is apparently available in a 23mm, and tubular in 24mm, for those who still like narrowish front TT tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Corsa Pro is also available tub-less. :) (I will forever think "tubular" when I hear "tub" or "tubby.")

Interestingly, the tubeless is apparently available in a 23mm, and tubular in 24mm, for those who still like narrowish front TT tires.

I've got Corsa 25mm tubulars on my race wheels, but will probably go for the Pro, either 25 or possibly 28?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few teams going for the Corsa Pro tubular. There's constant talk about the death of the tubular tyre, but it's refusing to die!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I've got Corsa 25mm tubulars on my race wheels, but will probably go for the Pro, either 25 or possibly 28?

I can't wait for the upcoming Pro Speed tubular for my outdoor track bike. Ridden for the same reason some pros still use them - so I have a chance of riding out a flat without taking down the field. (or myself)

Otherwise I'm all-in tubeless, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
zedzded wrote:

I can't wait for the upcoming Pro Speed tubular for my outdoor track bike. Ridden for the same reason some pros still use them - so I have a chance of riding out a flat without taking down the field. (or myself)

Otherwise I'm all-in tubeless, though.

What's the Pro Speed? A track tyre only? Or a lighter version of the Corsa Speed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Or a lighter version of the Corsa Speed?

It's going to be the new Corsa Speed. I read that the Pro and Pro Control were the first, but they're going to roll out others, including the Speed over the next year with this old-is-new-again cotton stuff.

And apologize for my snark above....I thought the subject line said tubeless. But this *is* the tubular thread.
Last edited by: trail: May 13, 23 19:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
zedzded wrote:

It's going to be the new Corsa Speed. I read that the Pro and Pro Control were the first, but they're going to roll out others, including the Speed over the next year with this old-is-new-again cotton stuff.

And apologize for my snark above....I thought the subject line said tubeless. But this *is* the tubular thread.

Looking forward to it and no dramas!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
trail wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Looking forward to it and no dramas!

It’s clincher only form what I’m quickly seeing but the Rubino Pro Speed is out already. I assume the Corsa Pro Speed will follow suit quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
A few teams going for the Corsa Pro tubular. There's constant talk about the death of the tubular tyre, but it's refusing to die!

It was reported most teams are using the Corsa Pro tubeless but some including Contador's team use the tubular version. I am still keeping a couple of tubular wheels for fun. Corsa speed is the fastest tubular but a bit flimsy, looking forward to checking the pro version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Ohio_Roadie wrote:

I thought he ran them with tubes? Also going in a circle for an hour is slightly different than a mass start track race. I’ve used clinchers for IP and mass start on 333 concrete but 250 wood, tubulars still seem to be safer if you do get a flat.
Quote Reply

Prev Next