Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance
Quote | Reply
Tubular tire experts--case scenario: 2010 Cervelo P3. Currently using S-Works All-Around Mountain (road tire) size 700 x 22. Current weight on gram scale is: 250 gr.

Needs: Something that fits the rear cut out when inflated. Not sure if x23 width would be too big--as x22 is already pretty dang close to the cut out.

Options: Veloflex, Conti, Vittorria, any other good choices?

*Seems there is not a lot of data on the tubular stuff that is current that I'm able to find--tubulars are getting to be an "extinct" form or locomotion in racing it seems....
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can find some Vittoria Crono 28-22 that’s a fast tubular, you will have no problem fitting a 28-23 in there, I was able to with my 2011 P3 on HED Stinger Disc which is the same frame different color.
Last edited by: mike s: Sep 27, 22 17:14
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still running a 10 year old set of tubbies so things may have changed, but Conti consumer tubbies always had butyl tubes in them, whereas Vittoria and Veloflex used latex. So if you want a fast tubbie avoid Conti in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It seems Vittoria is one of the few choices but I have not ever tried VeloFlex & cannot attest to their durability or performance.

Yes, 2011 is the same frame different paint job. What I need to do is bite the bullet & start looking into a new bike & just go with it...not thrilled about getting a new one but seems it's mainly because parts are getting harder to find. It's almost 13 years old but works just fine still...
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Measure you current tire first. I would go with a VF ProTour Race 23 or 25mm. VF tubs are typically a bit smaller than nominal, so the 25mm might fit and it's as low a RR tub as you'll find without going for the Record, which is quite a step down in puncture resistance.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes that is one I was actually looking at online. I don't see many VeloFlex around, mostly Vittoria these days. But thank you for the input on this equipment. Nice to here they aren't trash. Just getting the equipment lined up for 2023 season that's all. I like to start early & get ahead of the curve so I'm ready to roll whenever...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of my discs are tubulars as they do double duty on the road and track. Mike S was kind enough to let me borrow a clincher disc for nationals but for tubies either Vittoria or Veloflex has my vote. Typically in stock and at the pointy end of the lists without getting into exotic materials.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you purchasing Velo Flex from, online direct or in the States / shop?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Tubular tire experts--case scenario: 2010 Cervelo P3. Currently using S-Works All-Around Mountain (road tire) size 700 x 22. Current weight on gram scale is: 250 gr.

Needs: Something that fits the rear cut out when inflated. Not sure if x23 width would be too big--as x22 is already pretty dang close to the cut out.

Options: Veloflex, Conti, Vittorria, any other good choices?

*Seems there is not a lot of data on the tubular stuff that is current that I'm able to find--tubulars are getting to be an "extinct" form or locomotion in racing it seems....

I'm running Conti Competition which have pretty good puncture protection. Not the fastest tyre out there. Although there's a website in Holland selling the Pro version, with latex tubes 22mm - 25mm.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, been down the Conti road on GP19's & they both punctured by race #2. Not even in the top 3 tires I've used in the past. I am leaning towards the VeloFlex only because the Specialized 22mm Turbo ALL AROUND "Mountain" version is no longer available. If the VeloFlex are not available I'd lean towards the Vittoria at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can’t tell about the exact width (I would have to measure) but I went the veloflex road for racing cause of the latex tube.
Had Conti competition which lastet really long and gatorskins on the training wheelset

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Thanks, been down the Conti road on GP19's & they both punctured by race #2. Not even in the top 3 tires I've used in the past. I am leaning towards the VeloFlex only because the Specialized 22mm Turbo ALL AROUND "Mountain" version is no longer available. If the VeloFlex are not available I'd lean towards the Vittoria at this point.

What's a GP19?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride the Veloflex Pro Tour Race and order it on Bike24.de. I've done one Sprint Distance and one Half Distance with really good times for my weak bike legs ;-). So far I would buy these tires again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Veloflex Record or Vittoria Corsa Speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Rocky M wrote:

What's a GP19?

I think that's an older tyre - Grand Prix 19 (mm).
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct. Continental GP19 may have been back when you all were still in diapers. Very old school. I think it was back when I rode my Softride Power V with Topline cranks—and Kestrel EMS fork…that’s how old they would date back to. Back when Wildflower Triathlon lake swim was FULL of water…and we all wore Speedo briefs and half shirts/crop tops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check Michelin's range. I've run both the Power Competition (prev gen) and the Pro4 (previous to prev gen :D) tubs for a while, and they definitely are in line with Veloflex both on RR as well as durability.
The Power Cup (the newest one), as long as they have kept the compound the same as for their updated clinchers/tubeless range, should be even better and, what's perhaps important, also notably better than Veloflex / Conti on wet grip.

Vittoria Corsa G2.0 should be even better in the wet, but I suspect the RR is a bit lacking, and the Corsa Speed tub is too risky, IMHO, even though I've run the Corsa Speed 2.0 TLs with good success for quite a while too.

Generally, with Veloflex, I've lost a bit of trust after they introduced the Pro/ProRace range, as they're making silent running updates along the way for God knows how many times (to be fair, at least Conti is likely doing the same judging from what people have shown how GP5000 internals look like between different batches). Veloflex previous tubs (like Arenberg) were surprisingly durable, the newer ones square off really fast for me, and on top of it, I have had a couple of tyres which have catastrophic grip when it's at least slightly damp out there while others supposedly of the same model don't display this kind of behaviour. No idea why.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Correct. Continental GP19 may have been back when you all were still in diapers. Very old school. I think it was back when I rode my Softride Power V with Topline cranks—and Kestrel EMS fork…that’s how old they would date back to. Back when Wildflower Triathlon lake swim was FULL of water…and we all wore Speedo briefs and half shirts/crop tops.

In all seriousness, this was my bike in the early 90s, except that I used a 650c Hooker fork and never the fashion style of the times.

The Softride was a comfortable frameset, not much faster, and not quite ready for prime time. I broke three frames in different areas, and then moved back to a custom frame. Conti GP19s we’re the go to tires for years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Continental GP19 may have been back when you all were still in diapers. Very old school.

...and usually pumped to 150-160 psi.

Stating the obvious, the supply/demand situation for tubs will only get worse. I wish it weren't so, because I loved them. I had hoped that disc brakes, which negated the hot rim/glue melt descent problem, would have given them a second life - it didn't happen. In fact, we have gone in the opposite direction with hook-less rims!!!

They won't disappear overnight, but a sizeable investment at this point IMHO would not make sense.
Last edited by: Hanginon: Sep 29, 22 5:58
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [DonV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The Softride was a comfortable frameset, not much faster, and not quite ready for prime time. I broke three frames in different areas, and then moved back to a custom frame. Conti GP19s we’re the go to tires for years."
----------------------------------------
I had several Softride Power Vs . . . broke 2 so went to the other extreme with Lightspeed Ti. My wheels were 605 w/ Conti Comp 19.

My bike left a couple of weeks ago for the Big Island so I have been riding an old bike with Cinti Comp 23s . . . I am shockingly amazed by how good these Tubies feel. It almost gives me remorse for the recent, expensive, upgrades.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
I had several Softride Power Vs . . . broke 2 so went to the other extreme with Lightspeed Ti.
Some more reminiscing. Teledyne Corp was one of the casualties of the early 70's collapse of the space program, but since they thought they knew Titanium, they tried building a bike frame - the Teledyne Titan. I'm in a 100 mile road race in Central Park, NYC, a guy is on one, and he has a "For Sale" sign hung under the rear of his seat. The big joke of the day was "If you win, I'll buy it". He didn't win.

The Teledyne Titan was short lived with an almost 100% failure rate at the rear dropouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanginon wrote:
david wrote:
I had several Softride Power Vs . . . broke 2 so went to the other extreme with Lightspeed Ti.

Some more reminiscing. Teledyne Corp was one of the casualties of the early 70's collapse of the space program, but since they thought they knew Titanium, they tried building a bike frame - the Teledyne Titan. I'm in a 100 mile road race in Central Park, NYC, a guy is on one, and he has a "For Sale" sign hung under the rear of his seat. The big joke of the day was "If you win, I'll buy it". He didn't win.

The Teledyne Titan was short lived with an almost 100% failure rate at the rear dropouts.

Lots of good reminiscing. I worked really hard in high school to save enough money to buy a Teledyne frameset in the later 70s. I broke the rear non-drive stay about a month after purchase, which was sad. I also miss racing in Central Park and Kissena, too!
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the newer corsa tubulars with the graphene any more puncture resistant? It’s definitely hard to find rolling resistance data for newer tubulars.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire choices 2022--lowest RR/weight/puncture resistance [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
Are the newer corsa tubulars with the graphene any more puncture resistant? It’s definitely hard to find rolling resistance data for newer tubulars.

I think the Corsas are a good option, a lot of pros race on them. The Corsa Speeds, however, i would only use if the roads were pretty good and probably not for long course/important races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for their input. Honestly, the writing is on the wall & I need to upgrade my ride, period. I'm of the thought that if it isn't broke don't fix it. Ride works great still & with supply low for bikes, figured I'd stretch out the old bike through next year & look at 2024 for a new bike. By then the TT models should be close to upgrading to their latest version (Cadex & Felt being two that already released theirs this year).

Guessing Trek & Cervelo will be last because they are just slow at releasing anything. As for tubies--yeah, looks like Vittoria, VeloFlex and Conti would be most widely available. Michellin may have something but I've always flatted all their clinchers very easily & don't deem them *reliable* for even training tires. Had 4 sets & all flatted. They had their chance & blew it (literally).

Dan Empfield (Slowman) was right when he said we'd all go the way disc...I wonder what his latest theory on which rims will win out the next 5-10 years. Clincher, hookless--tubeless, so many now it seems, and it's always developing. I heard there was some "width standard" they were trying to institute amongst the tyre manufacturers so that they could all fit rims pretty much the same & not have some super hard to get onto the rim or loose, etc. Haven't really kept up with the tire & wheel push the industry has made the last few years. They'll do what they do anyhow....
Quote Reply

Prev Next