talbotcox wrote:
Lionel does most of his training at LT4

your video about that was awesome, by the way

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Mockery Podcast W/Joe Skipper [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
their training tips are fantastic
i stopped wearing alpha flys on the piss , i could not figure out what was going wrong with my training, but thanks to them i found the answer . i did a lactate test in the bar and realised i was running to the bar at lt3 and that ruined my atl score . with normal runners i stay just bellow lt2 ,a total game changer for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Mockery Podcast W/Joe Skipper [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried listening

Is there a way to get subtitles on podcasts? I can't fucking understand these guys

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Mockery Podcast W/Joe Skipper [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I tried listening

Is there a way to get subtitles on podcasts? I can't fucking understand these guys

Play it at 3/4 speed. Might help.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Mockery Podcast W/Joe Skipper [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
I did a lactate test in the bar and realized I was running to the bar at LT3 and that ruined my atl score ...

Their take on guys with the Glucose Monitors on the arm trying to hit on girls was pretty funny

As an aside, the podcast I listen to most - while making dinner, usually - is Ten Junk Miles

Wife walked in one time, early in the episode, listened a minute and asked "Are they drunk?"
I replied "Not quite yet, but give them time"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those wondering…

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Mockery Podcast W/Joe Skipper [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a bummer, but probably a wise move for Joe. This could be a very profitable season for him on the IM tour.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Mockery Podcast W/Joe Skipper [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
That's a bummer, but probably a wise move for Joe. This could be a very profitable season for him on the IM tour.

How much of a distraction can it really be? It's not like he skipped training for that hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Mockery Podcast W/Joe Skipper [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree - Tom's reply is obviously trying to cover for Joe, or for something that may have happened, but it can't be that Joe is too busy training...

A few Tom/Max episodes could pique Joe's interest in coming back, and I hope they'll do exactly that.

The Patreon supporters can't be too happy about the hiatus.

Last edited by: kajet: Feb 5, 24 4:43
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Mockery Podcast W/Joe Skipper [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

How much of a distraction can it really be? It's not like he skipped training for that hour.

I think more than you might imagine. I've been involved in a podcast and it's significantly more work than the hour of content you get as the end result. Prepping content with your co-host. Faffing about with tech set-up. Generally the actual time recording is much longer than the final podcast and it's edited down. Having to re-record parts, or sometimes even the whole thing if something fails. Promoting on social media, dealing with the replies, comments, questions you get off the back of it.

I get the impression Tom does all the editing etc, but even so for Joe I can reasonably imagine it takes up 3-4 hours of his time per podcast. No, he might not be training in that time but it all adds to overall mental load and takes away from time he could be focussed on recovering. I can also imagine he looked back at a poor season last year and thought about any changes, however small, that he could make to be fully focussed on training. The baby isn't going anywhere so this seems like a sensible move.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Mockery Podcast W/Joe Skipper [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nowadays, every pro needs the media presence. The top tier pros earn as much from sponsors as they do from prize money, if not more. Joe didn't abandon the YT channel, did he? The patronite support was close to non-existing, as they mentioned in one of the last December episodes. Also, Joe & Tom were planning a triathlon camp with amateurs in January in Gran Canaria, so I wonder if that has happened.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Mockery Podcast W/Joe Skipper [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Judging from Tom's IG and Strava, he's been there, Joe was somewhere else.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Mockery Podcast W/Joe Skipper [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cherry_bomb wrote:
I think more than you might imagine. I've been involved in a podcast and it's significantly more work than the hour of content you get as the end result. Prepping content with your co-host. Faffing about with tech set-up. Generally the actual time recording is much longer than the final podcast and it's edited down. Having to re-record parts, or sometimes even the whole thing if something fails. Promoting on social media, dealing with the replies, comments, questions you get off the back of it.

I get the impression Tom does all the editing etc, but even so for Joe I can reasonably imagine it takes up 3-4 hours of his time per podcast.

My impression from listening to the podcast is that Joe's involvement starts 5 minutes before recording and ends when the stop button is pushed.

Tom does all the heavy lifting, sets the agenda, proposes the bullshit buster and instagram post of the week, etc. Joe rarely has got anything prepared, and if he does, it seems like it's just something he stumbled upon when scouring the internets in his daily life.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with this impression.

For Joe the podcast has certainly been:
  • minimum effort
  • low-to-medium benefits (fanbase is spread around IG, Strava, YT and podcast - hard to measure just the podcast, but this has definitely been 'my' channel)
  • potentially risky (it's "mockery" for a reason - some people like it while others don't, risk-averse sponsors might not appreciate this controversial exposure)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
The Patreon supporters can't be too happy about the hiatus.

If they're doing a "subscription," they can cancel their Patreon at any time

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course they can. That won’t make them happy though? Or attract new patrons?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
cherry_bomb wrote:

I get the impression Tom does all the editing etc, but even so for Joe I can reasonably imagine it takes up 3-4 hours of his time per podcast.

My impression from listening to the podcast is that Joe's involvement starts 5 minutes before recording and ends when the stop button is pushed.

Tom does all the heavy lifting, sets the agenda, proposes the bullshit buster and instagram post of the week, etc. Joe rarely has got anything prepared, and if he does, it seems like it's just something he stumbled upon when scouring the internets in his daily life.

but in fairness this is how it works famous company gets contract and subcontracts to smaller less famous company that does the work . it certainly has worked out for tom.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Mockery Podcast W/Joe Skipper [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No question about it. Joe is the “celebrity” and hence he holds all the cards. But still all he would have to spare is an hour a week, so I call BS on the “too busy training” explanation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe they discussed in a fall episode that the podcast was work, not leading to many patreon sign ups, and possibly losing money. Not surprising they’ve curtailed it. It’s also the off season with less to discuss.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
No question about it. Joe is the “celebrity” and hence he holds all the cards. But still all he would have to spare is an hour a week, so I call BS on the “too busy training” explanation.

These podcasts and YouTubes are not as profitable as people think for your time and cost vs other things you could do for $$, or time with family, friends , life etc.

I think Ruth astle pointed out she spend $5000 in marketing / you tube and profited $1500.

Most of this is for sponsorship agreements to provide contain to get free stuff.

I had a shoe company offer 2 free pairs of shoes for what I added up would be 10 + hours of my time .

I decided to just work for 4 hours and buy the shoes instead.

Same with other companies cheap marketing cost for them time for those that have free time to push and media and market.

I liked the podcast though.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Mockery Podcast W/Joe Skipper [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be that as it may, Joe launched the Junkyard Dog collection with Purpose Performance Wear, and they were discussing doing that January camp for age groupers so recently. Looks like the camp was dead on arrival and the collection is being promoted by Joe, not the podcast. You may be right that he is looking at the podcast in a short-termist and 100% commercial manner. But I do hope you're wrong!

Triathletetoth wrote:
These podcasts and YouTubes are not as profitable as people think for your time and cost vs other things you could do for $$, or time with family, friends , life etc.

Here's me, naiively thinking that the podcast was (a) something they simply enjoyed doing - cue all the laughs, (b) a longer term promotional plan to build an audience to sell products to and not an attempt to make a quick buck.

In fact I was never naiive enough to imagine that such podcasts are, on their own and without sponsors/ads, profitable.

Last edited by: kajet: Feb 6, 24 13:18
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Mockery Podcast W/Joe Skipper [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
kajet wrote:

I think Ruth astle pointed out she spend $5000 in marketing / you tube and profited $1500.

Most of this is for sponsorship agreements to provide contain to get free stuff.

I had a shoe company offer 2 free pairs of shoes for what I added up would be 10 + hours of my time .

I decided to just work for 4 hours and buy the shoes instead.

Same with other companies cheap marketing cost for them time for those that have free time to push and media and market.

I liked the podcast though.

Some of this may be cost neutral. Recording a podcast is just your time. They seemed to have an Audience. Ruth Astle is investing her time. But she's able to take her statistics from youtube and that is a difference maker for her with sponsor contracts as she has better reach than many pro women who aren't doing anything.

So there's two ways about this, go all in and have a social platform. Or work a full time job. Frodo got old at the right time. Daniela is exiting the sport at the right time. BUT...if you're the World Champion you don't have to do as much. But your big time sponsors also take a lot of time.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Mockery Podcast W/Joe Skipper [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is that Skipper has moved on to other stuff like the strength training app with Valere Endurance which ties up with his recent Hyrox escapades.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Mockery Podcast W/Joe Skipper [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
really really hard to make money (or even not lose money) with a podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Mockery Podcast W/Joe Skipper [tlafram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are there 25,000 useless triathlon podcasts if there is no money in it?
Quote Reply

Prev Next