Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TriHabitat - Wilmington, NC [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pender county approved the land

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: TriHabitat - Wilmington, NC [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Wilmington the new boulder?
Last edited by: winchester: Oct 27, 14 19:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To my knowledge the land deal has been finalized. I live here in wilmington and work for the fire dept. My officer actually is a member of a hunting club that uses that land to hunt. A few months back, the Corbett family who owns (or maybe owned) the land told them that this would be the last year they could hunt on it because they had sold it to this investment group.

To my knowledge there are no current plans for a pool. Which surprises me quite a bit. However, I guess they can always add it later.

Quote Reply
Re: TriHabitat - Wilmington, NC [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UnFreaking believable! I just watched the video on YouTube. That place is going to be amazing. I was just in Wilmington for B2B. Love that area, beautiful with lots to do. Great place to put this. I’m biased as I only live about 5 hours away by car (No. Virginia) so I’ll be going to Wilmington more now.
Quote Reply
Re: TriHabitat - Wilmington, NC [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This kind of reinforces the saying, "triathlon is the new country club." :)

It does look pretty neat.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only a hour south of us, so we're certainly fans of this!

This should encourage a lot more locals in Eastern Carolina to get into the sport (or one of the disciplines) on top of the people that would visit the facility. The more ways to grow the community, the better.

---------------------------------------------------
Oregon Ducks Custom Painted Jack Kane: http://kanebikes.com/...l-bike-galleries/787
http://www.kanebikes.com/ || Road & Triathlon Bicycles. Custom Painting. Carbon Repair. Restoration. HQ'd in North Carolina
Last edited by: kanebikes: Oct 28, 14 8:29
Quote Reply
Re: TriHabitat - Wilmington, NC [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris Martin wrote:
Looks like nice for races but if it's supposed to be a training facility also it needs a pool.

agree. pool with underwater video equipment.
Quote Reply
Re: TriHabitat - Wilmington, NC [G$] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 50m pool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I just hope it's sustainable. It would be a great place for ITU Draft Legal racing as well.

I always said if I won the Mega Millions I'd build a large training facility set up like this. I'd wait until I won the lottery so I could keep it going. I love this concept and think it could be really cool, you could tie in all the tri retailers you wanted as well as tri specific training facilities, massage therapists, nutritionists, coaches, dog groomers ...

But I'm just not sure any one area will have enough demand to sustain an investment of this size. No one is going to want to drive to train on a regular basis so you'd have to get a constant flow of camps and races to keep it going, and as others have mentioned, when I travel, I like to hit new and interesting places.

I hope they do well.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: TriHabitat - Wilmington, NC [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
BryanD wrote:
I just hope it's sustainable. It would be a great place for ITU Draft Legal racing as well.

I always said if I won the Mega Millions I'd build a large training facility set up like this. I'd wait until I won the lottery so I could keep it going. I love this concept and think it could be really cool, you could tie in all the tri retailers you wanted as well as tri specific training facilities, massage therapists, nutritionists, coaches, dog groomers ...

But I'm just not sure any one area will have enough demand to sustain an investment of this size. No one is going to want to drive to train on a regular basis so you'd have to get a constant flow of camps and races to keep it going, and as others have mentioned, when I travel, I like to hit new and interesting places.

I hope they do well.

This.

From looking at their website they are looking for investment money. Their best bet is a rich guy who loves the sport and a few million is nothing to him. Because if they are looking for serious investment, the first question would be "how do I get my money back"?
To me the area just doesn't seem big enough to support a facility like this, nor interesting enough to make it a huge training destination. Are there any hills nearby? And how many events would be needed to sustain this place?
I think it looks cool, but would probably be better suited for a place where it would be cost prohibitive to build it like NYC.
Quote Reply
Re: TriHabitat - Wilmington, NC [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is supposed to be a series of rolling "hills" 50 meters apart and 3 meters high that run for a total of 600 meters.

Ready or not here I come!
Coaching NY's Southern Tier
Swift^3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So cool.

One thing that people here haven't touched on is the ability to do like weeklong camps. I'd certainly travel to do a tri camp for a week with coaches, etc. I hope something like that is in their plans.
Quote Reply
Re: TriHabitat - Wilmington, NC [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: TriHabitat - Wilmington, NC [kanebikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously this would be nice for clinics and races. I live in Raleigh. I would actually be most interested if i could just drive over, pay a 1-day ticket for unlimited use of the facilities. Then I could just make a big training day of it.
Quote Reply
Re: TriHabitat - Wilmington, NC [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I'm a big fan of NC and I spend enough time there every year I'm not sure if I'm a resident of AZ or NC. I have a hard time seeing Wilm as enough of a tri place to make this work. Humid and warm/hot in the summer, can be cold in the winter. Not exactly your ideal winter training ground. fwiw I went to university about 80min away and have spent time in Wilm recently.

I know the tri scene there is good, but I can't see local triathletes carrying the weight on this making it sustainable, nor do I hear enough positive chatter about going to Wilm for camps from some coaches I've talked to regarding this.

Hope it flies and succeeds, wildly succeeds, but I'm having a difficult time seeing the foundation that keeps it from crumbling in 5-10 years.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Oct 28, 14 13:27
Quote Reply
Re: TriHabitat - Wilmington, NC [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My exact thoughts when I heard the presentation a few years ago. My first thoughts were I would maybe go once a year and how were they going to keep the fire ants out of the viewing berms along the course.
Quote Reply
Re: TriHabitat - Wilmington, NC [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i hope it succeeds. will the pros frequent or even relocate for this? i cant see this happening. but certainly hope so.
Quote Reply
Re: TriHabitat - Wilmington, NC [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyscarroll wrote:
So cool.

One thing that people here haven't touched on is the ability to do like weeklong camps. I'd certainly travel to do a tri camp for a week with coaches, etc. I hope something like that is in their plans.

I agree, and that's where the money really is in my mind.

I do think though that the lack of pool is actually a pretty critical omission to be honest. More than I think people are accounting for. For training camps, it significantly begins to reduce the appeal of a facility when you have to then coordinate pool time elsewhere since that can actually be one of the biggest pains depending on local pools. Finding places to run is easy, as with riding.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also think they need to think about a pool. Not many pools in Wilmington as is.

I do think it would be a cool place to bring back super sprints and formula 1 type races like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBBLtidFOwg
Last edited by: OldFart: Oct 29, 14 7:12
Quote Reply
Re: TriHabitat - Wilmington, NC [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Interesting. I'm a big fan of NC and I spend enough time there every year I'm not sure if I'm a resident of AZ or NC. I have a hard time seeing Wilm as enough of a tri place to make this work. Humid and warm/hot in the summer, can be cold in the winter. Not exactly your ideal winter training ground. fwiw I went to university about 80min away and have spent time in Wilm recently.

I know the tri scene there is good, but I can't see local triathletes carrying the weight on this making it sustainable, nor do I hear enough positive chatter about going to Wilm for camps from some coaches I've talked to regarding this.

Hope it flies and succeeds, wildly succeeds, but I'm having a difficult time seeing the foundation that keeps it from crumbling in 5-10 years.

I agree, and have the same concerns. I have a house there (Oak Island), and the cycling community is pretty strong, but I wonder if there are enough of us tri types to make this thing work. I think it could be great for some events, but wonder if it will bring in enough regular $$ to make it work.

Brian, incidentally, I met you briefly this year at Buckhorn. We talked bikes some, and you advised me my D6 "just wasn't a fast bike". Well, 3 months later I just did B2B on a Di2 P5. Good advice, man. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I miss living in WB!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: TriHabitat - Wilmington, NC [Givingchase] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Givingchase wrote:
I think it is supposed to be a series of rolling "hills" 50 meters apart and 3 meters high that run for a total of 600 meters.

Damn.. i was hoping for 3 "hills" about 10 meters high and 10 meters apart with a 30M tall downhill just before them. Lets see someone land a triple on a tri bike!!! Dave Mirra would be all over that!

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
jeremyscarroll wrote:
So cool.

I do think though that the lack of pool is actually a pretty critical omission to be honest. More than I think people are accounting for. For training camps, it significantly begins to reduce the appeal of a facility when you have to then coordinate pool time elsewhere since that can actually be one of the biggest pains depending on local pools. Finding places to run is easy, as with riding.

Yes, but a pool would be a must have. Could just put a 50M pool on the infield of a 400M running track.... stadium seating facing the permanent transition area which is alongside the start-finish of the bike loop and dismount line.

Even better... a 100M pool with multiple bulkheads, with 10 lanes, you could have 40 athletes starting in a single wave. Would work perfect for heat races. Format it like a swim meet.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriHabitat - Wilmington, NC [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
jeremyscarroll wrote:
So cool.

Yes, but a pool would be a must have. Could just put a 50M pool on the infield of a 400M running track.... stadium seating facing the permanent transition area which is alongside the start-finish of the bike loop and dismount line.

Even better... a 100M pool with multiple bulkheads, with 10 lanes, you could have 40 athletes starting in a single wave. Would work perfect for heat races. Format it like a swim meet.

I don't necessarily agree with them, but from the video they appear to view the lake as a pool. Crystal clear, spring fed, lined, etc. So maybe they think for pool like activities they can just toss some bulkhead kind of stuff in the lake and be done. For the amount they will spend if they do this, I'd think an actual pool would be a good investment.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: TriHabitat - Wilmington, NC [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is definitely a neat idea.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, the plan was to host an ass-load of races getting 2k + participants and charging 100$ for a sprint.

That's also a neat idea, but completely preposterous.
Quote Reply

Prev Next