Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Thunder Bear Calls out Lance....WOW. [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
BrianRunsPhilly wrote:
Francois wrote:
No, it doesn't alter your genome. It possibly alters gene expression, through various processes such as DNA methylation. But your genome remains the same.

I thinks it's safe to assume that he didn't undergo some sort of highly experimental gene therapy in secret, based on research that was also developed in secret and never published in the medical/scientific literature. So that leaves mutations in his genome, which would occur randomly (as it does in all organisms). These mutations could be good or bad, and unless occurring in progenitor cells, would be lost when that cell dies. or So Lance happens to be both a professional athlete who also manages, through cancer treatment, to inherit beneficial mutations ONLY. Talk about luck!

Don't forget, he got the Cancer in the first place, and it damn near killed him. Is that the kind of luck you are talking about?

I'm glad I'm not as lucky as Lance in that case!
Uh, that was sarcasm.
Quote Reply
Re: Thunder Bear Calls out Lance....WOW. [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did Sinbald get the Name Thunder Bear....anyone know?
Quote Reply
Re: Thunder Bear Calls out Lance....WOW. [BrianRunsPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
me too :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Thunder Bear Calls out Lance....WOW. [Armytriguy3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
his name is Torbjorn which literally translated...
Quote Reply
Re: Thunder Bear Calls out Lance....WOW. [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then again, I'd bet that this forum has generated more impressions in the last three days than any other three days of the year, including in October. And all because of one little piddly race down in Central America.

Pros want to see more attention for the sport, which we all hope eventually equals more prize money and better competition, then they complain when someone comes into the sport and actually brings more attention. Lance attracts attention because is is an amazing athlete, he is charismatic, and people are interested in him. Period.

Someone is going to reply to me and say "I'm not interested in Lance", but you know what? If you're reading this at all, you ARE...
Quote Reply
Re: Thunder Bear Calls out Lance....WOW. [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
camaleon wrote:
Bogusdogs wrote:
I know 'everyone' has their opinions, but if I were a pro, and I am not, I would not say ANYTHING about how Lance will never be able to "_____." It seems like every time someone makes a statement like this, they look like a fool. Ahem, Rasmus? Why don't they talk like 99% of the other triathletes and talk about how under trained they are, the injuries they are working through, that it's not their "A" race, they just signed up a few days ago...ya know, sh*$ triathletes say? Calling out someone like Lance, really only solidifies he will beat you. It is motivation for guys like him.

And for all the people that say that he is using PEDs and he has some alliance with the WTC with testing, etc., friggin' stop watching so much fantasy television. The guy is fast, he ALWAYS has been. Those that criticize him that he got 2nd in his 1st 1/2 IM... I am curious as to how the BEST triathlete would do in a pro cycling race. Think they would get 2nd? Maybe counting from the back.

x2 with this...

seem like some Pros are butt hurt cause a dude who is 40 years old with one ball and 2 or 3 years into retirement just BEAT them...

But he gets testosterone supplement for his mising ball doesn't he? So in effect he still has two(and maybe a bit extra).
I personally don't think people should be racing pro with TUE's, but hey that is a big discussion in itself.

I can see both sides of this LA saga. He is the best cyclist and also potentially close to top of triathlon. I think if it was a level playing field and if he and his cycling competitors/teams didn't take PEDs(which they do and have, EPO etc), then he would still be where he is today. He will go down in history as being the best at cycling in his time with question marks always beside his name. I defend the top triathletes that also put this question mark beside his name. And the top pro triathletes won't say outright what they hear and know to be true because they could get sued for slandering his name.
Is LA the best role model for cancer patients? Not really but he is able to bring in more money for cancer than just about an other individual. Because he brings in the money for cancer then he is definitely good, he is giving back in effect. It is as much a reflection of the USA(and other parts of teh West) society that we like to have heroes and build them up to be 'greater than god'.

I do think that some people who have chosen triathlon as there career could have been top cycling pro's but we will never know for sure. LA is a triathlete by all accounts that took up cycling so he is one for starters.

It is in the headlines around the world everyday about how the cheating cyclists. Because of this I do not admire any cyclists in the slightest, even though I think cycling itself is close to my favorite sport :

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/...mp;objectid=10783856

and like the Danish people I also come from a country with a smaller population. At least in NZ people who are built up as heroes still have to keep there feet on the ground, as you can never create the sort of hype around yourself like LA has. Well the King, Queen or current prime minister is about as untouchable as it gets, but not so much celebrities.

G.

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Last edited by: triathlonshots: Feb 14, 12 12:45
Quote Reply
Re: Thunder Bear Calls out Lance....WOW. [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then again, I'd bet that this forum has generated more impressions in the last three days than any other three days of the year, including in October. \\\[/url]

That would be a very good bet..I think it was my armchair race report that put it over too..(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Thunder Bear Calls out Lance....WOW. [techknowgn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
techknowgn wrote:
eelie wrote:
Because if that's not your argument, then what is?

http://www.livestrong.org/...Where-the-Money-Goes

They mislead the public both intentionally by not actively reporting how much of the millions of legal get spent on defending Lance for things that Livestrongs money shouldnt be spent on, and passively by not doing stronger work educating folks that they arent funding cancer research. Even having that publicly displayed in Outside is only going to do so much.

Again, the why they give money argument stands. Without Lance people would give the money, and whether Livestrong is there without Lance, or Livestrong is just not there, there are other cancer charities that do as much or more than Livestrong without nearly the waste, without the deceit, and provide more actual value to both the public at large and those who are ill or will become ill.

I realize that not everyone is in finance or understands financial statements, but your assertion isn't really true. With a very simple google search you can pull up the LAF's form 990 that details almost all of the revenue and expenses for a given year. Let's use 2010 as an example:

You've been pretty adamant that Lance uses Livestrong's G4 for all of his travels. Now, if you had done any fact checking you would see a detailed accounting of Livestrong's capital assets. 2010 for example shows on Schedule D, Part IV an accounting of the fixed assets (btw - Planes go here if they exist). Land - $1.96M; Buildings - $8.55M, Equipment - $1.2M. No planes...sorry. Btw - you will find the information you want on Lance's Jet here: http://flightaware.com/...es/registration/N7LA

Now, on to the legal fees. You will find a detailed accounting of the 2010 legal fees in Schedule O of the 990 form.
Program and General: $264k
Domestic Trademark Infringement: $208k
International Trademark Infringment: $159k

Additionally, you will find the detailed accounting of the program expenditures, travel expenses, executive compensation, Board of Directors (hint - you'll find Lance here) compensation, etc.

Again, I know that finance isn't everyone's specialty...but it does happen to be mine. From a quick scan of Livestrong's filings...I'm just not seeing where they are paying for Lance to fly all over the place on the dime of the people giving money to the organization. Btw - these forms, annual reports, financial statements are audited by an independent accounting firm. At the beginning of a company's financial statements (annual report), you will find a statement from the firm stating whether or not the financial statements are accurate or not. I think that you will find that the outside firm also doesn't think that Livestrong is hiding a G4 anywhere and isn't cooking their books with hidden travel expenses and legal fees.

However, if you have some other financials that indicate otherwise...please point us in the right direction. Surely, your not just making up claims and statements on something you have no proof of, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Thunder Bear Calls out Lance....WOW. [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twotter wrote:
techknowgn wrote:
eelie wrote:

They mislead the public both intentionally by not actively reporting how much of the millions of legal get spent on defending Lance for things that Livestrongs money shouldnt be spent on, and passively by not doing stronger work educating folks that they arent funding cancer research. Even having that publicly displayed in Outside is only going to do so much.

Again, the why they give money argument stands. Without Lance people would give the money, and whether Livestrong is there without Lance, or Livestrong is just not there, there are other cancer charities that do as much or more than Livestrong without nearly the waste, without the deceit, and provide more actual value to both the public at large and those who are ill or will become ill.

I realize that not everyone is in finance or understands financial statements, but your assertion isn't really true. With a very simple google search you can pull up the LAF's form 990 that details almost all of the revenue and expenses for a given year. Let's use 2010 as an example:

You've been pretty adamant that Lance uses Livestrong's G4 for all of his travels. Now, if you had done any fact checking you would see a detailed accounting of Livestrong's capital assets. 2010 for example shows on Schedule D, Part IV an accounting of the fixed assets (btw - Planes go here if they exist). Land - $1.96M; Buildings - $8.55M, Equipment - $1.2M. No planes...sorry. Btw - you will find the information you want on Lance's Jet here: http://flightaware.com/...es/registration/N7LA

Now, on to the legal fees. You will find a detailed accounting of the 2010 legal fees in Schedule O of the 990 form.

Additionally, you will find the detailed accounting of the program expenditures, travel expenses, executive compensation, Board of Directors (hint - you'll find Lance here) compensation, etc.

Again, I know that finance isn't everyone's specialty...but it does happen to be mine. From a quick scan of Livestrong's filings...I'm just not seeing where they are paying for Lance to fly all over the place on the dime of the people giving money to the organization. Btw - these forms, annual reports, financial statements are audited by an independent accounting firm. At the beginning of a company's financial statements (annual report), you will find a statement from the firm stating whether or not the financial statements are accurate or not. I think that you will find that the outside firm also doesn't think that Livestrong is hiding a G4 anywhere and isn't cooking their books with hidden travel expenses and legal fees.

However, if you have some other financials that indicate otherwise...please point us in the right direction. Surely, your not just making up claims and statements on something you have no proof of, right?

Thanks for breaking this down. I was one of those that was under the impression that Livestrong was paying for all kinds of things. But only because of what I heard from other folks. Thankfully, I didn't perpetuate the myth. So thanks for shedding some light on this part.
Quote Reply
Re: Thunder Bear Calls out Lance....WOW. [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks but you must be new here... you should never kill a thread with proper facts - the experts hate that .... plus I was kinda liking the blood money pimped out G4 with hot tub and strippers version better ... its time for a new Souza or Cippolini style rock star athlete
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Feb 14, 12 13:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twotter wrote:
techknowgn wrote:
eelie wrote:

Oh no. More facts getting in the way of your opinion.

Quote Reply
Re: Thunder Bear Calls out Lance....WOW. [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello tridork and All,

"I do a lot of my thinking on long bike rides or long runs. I pose myself a question at the beginning of the ride, and debate with myself as I ride. Big ideas, like my view on abortion, take several rides to develop my view. Once I develop my opinion on something, it's pretty set. Ocassionally someone will provide some data or information that I hadn't considered and that may tweak or swing my opinion another way, but that doesn't happen very often."

Actually you most likely have already formed your belief before the ride and only find reasons to reinforce that belief during the ride or run because that is how 'we are wired' through evoulution.

You might see evidence of the accuracy of this 'belief first' and 'only tell me what I want to hear' cognitive brain function here on this ST forum.

http://www.michaelshermer.com/the-believing-brain/

We form our beliefs for a variety of subjective, personal, emotional, and psychological reasons in the context of environments created by family, friends, colleagues, culture, and society at large; after forming our beliefs we then defend, justify, and rationalize them with a host of intellectual reasons, cogent arguments, and rational explanations. Beliefs come first, explanations for beliefs follow.

Dr. Shermer also provides the neuroscience behind our beliefs. The brain is a belief engine. From sensory data flowing in through the senses the brain naturally begins to look for and find patterns, and then infuses those patterns with meaning. The first process Dr. Shermer calls patternicity: the tendency to find meaningful patterns in both meaningful and meaningless data.

The second process he calls agenticity: the tendency to infuse patterns with meaning, intention, and agency.

We can’t help believing. Our brains evolved to connect the dots of our world into meaningful patterns that explain why things happen. These meaningful patterns become beliefs. Once beliefs are formed the brain begins to look for and find confirmatory evidence in support of those beliefs, which adds an emotional boost of further confidence in the beliefs and thereby accelerates the process of reinforcing them, and round and round the process goes in a positive feedback loop of belief confirmation. Dr. Shermer outlines the numerous cognitive tools our brains engage to reinforce our beliefs as truths and to insure that we are always right.

http://www.amazon.com/...nforce/dp/0805091254

Bestselling author Michael Shermer's comprehensive and provocative theory on how beliefs are born, formed, reinforced, challenged, changed, and extinguished.

In this work synthesizing thirty years of research, psychologist, historian of science, and the world's best-known skeptic Michael Shermer upends the traditional thinking about how humans form beliefs about the world. Simply put, beliefs come first and explanations for beliefs follow. The brain, Shermer argues, is a belief engine.

From sensory data flowing in through the senses, the brain naturally begins to look for and find patterns, and then infuses those patterns with meaning.

Our brains connect the dots of our world into meaningful patterns that explain why things happen, and these patterns become beliefs.

Once beliefs are formed the brain begins to look for and find confirmatory evidence in support of those beliefs, which accelerates the process of reinforcing them, and round and round the process goes in a positive-feedback loop of belief confirmation. Shermer outlines the numerous cognitive tools our brains engage to reinforce our beliefs as truths.

Interlaced with his theory of belief, Shermer provides countless real-world examples of how this process operates, from politics, economics, and religion to conspiracy theories, the supernatural, and the paranormal.

Ultimately, he demonstrates why science is the best tool ever devised to determine whether or not a belief matches reality.

=====================================

From Wiki:

Scientific method refers to a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge.[1] To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry must be based on gathering empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning.[2] The Oxford English Dictionary says that scientific method is: "a method or procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses."[3]
The chief thing which separates a scientific method of inquiry from other methods of acquiring knowledge is that scientists seek to let reality speak for itself, and contradict their theories about it when those theories are incorrect[4]

==========================================

As you say and perhaps with the Scientific Method in mind we should consider our opinions as subject to change if new information is discovered.

=========================================================

And in keeping with the triathlon aspect of the forum as a tridork you are probably familiar with Shermer's Neck Syndrome named for the author of the work above.

====================================================

http://ultracycling.com/...ining/neck_pain.html

As Thomas and Gooch prepared for their 2004 RAAM, they invited Sue Morris, LMT, to join their crew. Morris immediately researched Shermer's Neck and found no existing knowledge. She consulted Walter Libby, a 30-year licensed massage therapist and instructor in kinesiology at the Oregon School of Massage. Libby interviewed Thomas and discovered he had been involved in a severe automobile accident years earlier that included a whiplash injury.

A physical examination revealed soreness and numerous trigger points in the front muscles of his neck (sternocleidomastoid or SCM and scalenes).

Libby established a treatment plan with Morris providing two to three massages per week working specifically on the trigger points in the effected muscles. Myofacial trigger points are commonly referred to as knots in the skeletal muscle. In the case of Shermer's Neck they appear in long strings along the SCM and scalenes. Trigger points are sore even to a light touch; they cause referred pain, restriction of movement and loss of function.

By the fifth month of treatment the trigger points were gone. Morris continued treatment until the start of the race.
During the race she performed light trigger point work. She also used ice on the SCM and scalene muscles and heat on the trapezius muscles during each of Thomas' breaks off the bike.

Although he began to develop small trigger points around mile 300, none of them grew large enough to cause a problem and the condition did not impede his performance or comfort level during the remainder of the 3,000-mile race.
The SCM attaches to the skull behind the ear and plays a role in supporting the head. There are three separate scalene muscles that run beneath and behind the SCM and perform a similar function. In an extreme cycling position the scalene muscles may be in strong contraction while extending the neck.
These muscles are not accustomed to prolonged, sustained work when the head is in an aero position during a long race. If there has been a pre-existing injury these muscles may develop trigger points, fatigue and can ultimately fail. By eliminating trigger points in the sternocleidomastoid and scalene muscles, strength returns to these muscles and much of the pain and dysfunction of Shermer's Neck is reduced.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Neal

+1 mph Faster

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Thunder Bear Calls out Lance....WOW. [TravisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As Twotter said, Im no finance major, but I know that it's pretty easy to label certain travel expenses as marketing if you dont want the travel expenses to appear too large. If paying for the fuel in Lances jet goes in the travel expense, people might wonder why are their travel expenses so high? but if hes going to an event that fuel money can be put down as marketing expense.

Why would I have any reason to think they might be lying? Because Lance lies. There's a ton of proof of it out there. He supposedly races his comeback for free, but charged appearance fees for coming to races to race. Looking altruistic but being all about his own dollars is exactly what Lance does. (FYI there are plenty of credible sources on the race fees during comeback 2.0. Im not taking time to site them, but it was in the Outside article, and it's in the tour down under stories leading up to the race). Hell he charges appearance fees to talk at CANCER FUNDRAISERS. Tell me thats not him saying one thing and doing another (300k in cash and services to show up at Pelotonia).

Also, they have never clarified why merge with Lance Armstrong Merchandise and Events. Those are for profit organizations that merged with a non-profit. how the hell does anyone not think thats a problem. Do they do good things? sure, but so do a lot of other cancer organizations that arent feeding Lance financially. They raised 7 million in doing the livestrong challenges, but it cost them 1/3rd of that to put it on. Seriously, 2.6 million to run livestrong bike rides? You have got to be fucking kidding me. Yeah, no costs in marketing there.

Then there's the whole demand media fiasco which theres no way Lance wouldnt have kept that money if he hadnt been pressured by the public.

-------------------------------------
You don't have to like what I say but you should respect my right to say them and I'll do the same to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Thunder Bear Calls out Lance....WOW. [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You make some very good points!

I am human (although my wife claims quite often that I'm only part human.....the asshole part!) and likely fall into many of the belief traps you note. However, I do try as much as possible, to inject reason and pseudo scientific methods into developing and challenging my beliefs and opinions by doing the actual debates I have with myself on my rides. While not perfect, I believe it's a better system to go through the process I go through, than to not go through that process, as most people do. I perfer to charge through life, as informed as I can be, rather than drifting from knee jerk reaction to knee jerk reaction. I like to think of myself as the antidote to talk back radio! :-)

Using my abortion example stated previously, I started my self debate rides being fairly firmly in the pro-choice camp, believing it was a womans choice, with a mans involvement being 49% where a man was actively involved, blah blah blah. During the several rides it took to fully debate the issue in my alleged mind, I found I actually talked myself into believing abortion was not a great idea and I'm now fundamentally opposed to it except in extreme and rare cases, such as rape ending in pregnancy. Even then, the woman involved may choose to not have an abortion, but I accept that in this type of case, it's reasonable to allow her to choose an abortion.
There are so many options for stopping a pregnancy before it ever happens, that using abortion as a contraceptive, is no longer acceptable in my view. Prior to my debate rides, I'd simply had the opinion, that it was the womans body, so her decision. In this case, by having my internal debate, I nearly completely reversed my opinion and position on abortion. Take that as you will. One day I can bore you with my findings about humour/comedy that I developed on a series of long rides. I have yet to develop the perfect triathlon joke, so maybe I haven't quite got humour figured out, or then again, maybe triathlon simply ain't funny?!

Interesting segwey (sp?) into the neck issue. I have chronic neck "issues". I've broken C5, T6 (crushed badly and now quite asymetrical) as well as L5 & L6. I've also managed to knock myself out 12 times now. Some were short breaks of just a few seconds, but a couple have been about 30-40 seconds according to witnesses. (Skiing and bike accidents mostly) I am just getting back to training now after having nearly 7 months of treatment for problems with T6. Like a union worker, C5 has gone on strike as well! After electric accupuncture, osteopathy, pain killers and anti inflamatories, it's now about 90% recovered. I will read more about what you have written to see if any other techniques might help me get back to 100% of what I was 7 months ago. 100% recovery to normal human levels is beyond even my desperate hope however! :-)

.Have a great day and thanks for the input and information.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty difficult to talk logically with someone who's belief is already set such as yours. Lance lies is a such a weak argument I can't belive you through that out there though. Finance and accounting are obviously something you know nothing about. I happen to work in public accounting where I audit entities and am involved with issuing opinions on the financials of that entity. Lance could "lie" publicly all he wanted. That wouldn't make a difference when an independent accounting firm is auditing the books of Livestrong. If you actually think Lance is spending time to "cook the books" of Livestrong so he can hide expenses from the auditors you are worse off than I thought. Carry on with your consipracy theories though.