Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: This is one that pisses me off about cyclists [kangaroo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of you folks apparently can't read worth crap. I stated, twice I think "I don't mind pulling all day". In these situations there is no need for me to sit in, and even when I slow down for a recovery, the'd stay behind. They wanna go off - fine, but none did for the whole ride.

Our "group ride" is a ride where we all start out together. It might be 40 people or 10. It is acknowledged that there will be many ability levels and they all match up and ride together. We all ride together - because the stronger folks take long warm ups, until we get to a specific point and then the ride spreads apart as we go up a very long climb. After that, its anyone's ride - no organized leader. The people going long go long, and short - short. The ride leaders establish themselves as the ride progresses, and they usually choose where to go. It is not a race, and there is no final "king of the hill".

I specifically started this thread because I knew it would be contentious here. Surely better than a "I like puppies. Don't you like puppies, too?"

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: This is one that pisses me off about cyclists [JDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well JDub,

You've got a good attitude. But remember some riders are there simply to participate and never intend to compete. So to them if they're not that strong they be just happy drafting the whole way.

Some stragglers rather be left alone at their own pace. Yup me too have done that drop back to pull the guy behind only to see that I'm just putting unecessary pressure on the poor guy whose just prepared to have an easy spin back.

Like I said before, unless it's a close knit group of training buddies there for some serious riding with a pre-planned training regime or a close bunch ride to reach a destination all at the same time for social purposes, most group rides are free for all. Do as you please so long as you don't endanger others is best for everyone's enjoyment. Bad is when some A-hole guy/guys starts yelling during the ride or ordering people around cuz he's got some etiquette issues he wants everyone else to abide by. I even came across this stoopid girl, young enuff to be my daughter start yelling with her shrill voice cuz she thought she was one of the elite Italian bike riding group. All because I swivelled my steering a little to avoid a pot hole and I was a good 4 feet to one side from her. And yes she was a screamer cuz she'll do it at least once every ride to someone ...outside of her 'elite' group. I just blew past and left her in the dust thinking she's never had a good screw before! When I raced superbikes I often came closer to other bikes while at full tilt scraping the knees through a fast turn at well over 100mph without any problems.

Self appointed elitist cyclists are full of BS.
Quote Reply
Re: This is one that pisses me off about cyclists [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well since you acknowledge the group ride is so flexible then what are you complaining about? Best not to make up them etiquette rulings you keep harping about.

Puppies are okay but I prefer Pussy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey roo,

What would your thoughts be if the following occured: A guy showed up to the weekly ride regularly who had, literally, such an ignorance of the other cyclists riding with him that he regularly caused people to have near crashes. In this imaginary case, it is not due to anything other than simply not knowing any better. He doesn't realize his weaving everywhere at any moment is causing anxiety for everyone around him, yet he's strong enough to keep up but not to escape.

Would you just go on accepting that, or would you perhaps say to the guy "hey, would you be offended if I offered you some advice?"

I don't like giving people advice if they haven't asked for it, in fact I almost will not do it, period. But I'd sure appreciate it if someone told me was I that person.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schwingding,

We have riders like this on our Saturday and Sunday large group rides. They "sit-in" or do very short pulls while the workhorses pull 99% of the time. Then these wheel suckers blast off the front to the finish or sprint zone. We don't have a problem with it. The way I look at it is this...

If you sit in, you're not getting the same workout as the guy who pulls. You know who the stronger rider is and getting stronger so don't worry about those guys. In fact, invite them to a Time Trial and then you'll see what's up. I'll bet they don't even show.

Let go of your ego and get over it. You know you got good training in and that should be all that matters. Now racing, that's another story all together.

~ AB ~
Quote Reply
Re: This is one that pisses me off about cyclists [gottabekidding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I'll admit it - you guys have me wondering why this is bugging me so.

I'm going to ride on HIS wheel all day Saturday, then blow off the front at the end.

Then I'll return to my normal, pain in the ass self.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well I'll admit it - you guys have me wondering why this is bugging me so.

I'm going to ride on HIS wheel all day Saturday, then blow off the front at the end.

Then I'll return to my normal, pain in the ass self.
Naah... let it go... if you do that he'll be telling all his buddies how he rattled your cage...
Quote Reply
Re: This is one that pisses me off about cyclists [MoJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. Being a heavier rider I appreciate this difference. Not meaning to take this thread elsewhere, but… Do you have the same problem riding during a Tri? In rollers, I tend to ride them the exact opposite of very light riders. I go faster overall if I slowly build up speed past the top of the hill and drive into the base of the hill preserving momentum. If I were to match speeds of some others, I’d have to brake at the base and my heartrate would go through the roof at the end of the climb. They pass me near the top and I pass near the bottom; surprising how many people get annoyed at my riding in these conditions. I’ve been yelled at more than once during triathlons. Their assumption is probably “ride my way or get away from me”.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schwingding,

I have a great one for you!

Years ago when I was terrible on hills, I decided to get better I would have to go where the hills were and ride as many as possible to get better on them. I traveled to south central Ohio and did a number of group rides with the Columbus Outdoor Pursuits group. They were great rides and the strategy paid off.

On many of these rides, the strongest riders commonly pulled the weaker riders through some very challenging terrain and across some welcome flats. On one of the rides as we came into a town, one of the wheel sucking riders bolted up ahead of the group. As he surged ahead, he pulled out of one of his pedals and began to lose control of his bicycle. He crossed the centerline in the road and there was oncoming traffic. He managed to avoid a head on with a car but went into a ditch and endo-ed. He was unconscious briefly and was picked up by an ambulance and taken to a local hospital to be checked out.

After it was all cleaned up and we resumed riding I overheard one of the other riders comment that that was the third time that had happened this year on their rides. I thought to myself, what a group of slow learners!

On a ride the following weekend, I asked about him and was informed he was fine. So even though he was a slow learner, he recovers quickly, so I guess that works for him.

I was just grateful that I was not as slow a learner.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good idea, only it won't last. You'll get bored going slower than your normal speed and wind up pulling anyway you Animal!

~ AB ~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All because I swivelled my steering a little to avoid a pot hole and I was a good 4 feet to one side from her. And yes she was a screamer cuz she'll do it at least once every ride to someone ...outside of her 'elite' group. I just blew past and left her in the dust thinking she's never had a good screw before!

And I might be a "dickhead"

I'll be sure to not read too many more of your posts...

As much as I'm usually there just for the fun, it is similar to the "joker" coughing or making noise just when someone is about to hit a golf ball. Might be fun, but it gets you thrown out of a golf course at times. There is "etiquette" in everything from the simple (farting in an elevator) to the complicated (meeting the Queen of England). It never hurts to have an understanding of this, even if you do choose not to "follow the rules" as unwritten as they may be.

Quote | Reply
It's a training ride for crying out loud. Even if it was a RR, it is a legitimate tactic.

If this bothers you, keep the hammer down until the very end and go on your own cool down ride.

This isn't an issue of respect or courtesy. What is the negative impact on you if another person rides ahead of you on a road, during a training ride?

Sheesh, guys like you are a riot to me. I don't know if you've noticed but perhaps you should consider that it's not all about you. Drop the goofy assed sense of entitlement and ride your bike.
Quote Reply
Re: This is one that pisses me off about cyclists [Russell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
Sheesh, guys like you are a riot to me.[/reply]

Who said I was a guy?

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[reply]
Sheesh, guys like you are a riot to me.[/reply]

Who said I was a guy?

You are right, I should have assumed otherwise considering your panties are all in a bunch.

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand what you are saying and I agree almost totally. If this is an established group and they all know what is going on, than I get the issue at hand.

I did find is humorous when after you suggested to do the same, you got chastised. I've been there and done it. It does work. It is almost like they really think they were accomplishing something by sprinting at the end!?! But then the same ones who say there is nothing wrong with the weak doing this will complain "you arogant showoff.......".

For those who don't get it. Just remember the only reason the guy was still that at the end was he was allowed to be there. Elitist? or truthful? Come on he could have laid the power down with about 10-15 miles to go or until there was 5 miles left. Rested for 3 miles (because our hero certainlly wouldn't try it now), then powered through very hard with 1-2 miles left....oh yea that would have been elitist again.

My mistake only the weak (excuse me..the game players - all the time 100% of the time) can play those games. The strong are just #$@%*@$ elitist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys got real issues...Both sides.

Yes, this is a free country, and on an open ride you can ride as you please. BUT:

Your own freedom around others ends at the tip of your nose.

If you are in my face, by endangering me, or disturbing my riding pattern (for example by jumping in front of me on my individual TT training and then slowing down, making me go around you again) you gonna get an ear full, proper etiquette or not.

No wonder I prefer riding alone....

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that if this bothers you, it's really more you that has the problem. You say you don't mind pulling all day, but I would dissagree. Beacause it appears that you feel you've earned a few things by doing so. If you really didn't have a problem pulling all day, then I'd say that this guy's actions wouldn't really bother you.

The fact that he sprints to the finish should not factor into your percieved performance by yourself and your fellow riders. Everyone there knows who pulled the whole day, the fact that some guys sprints to the finish in no way efffects or diminishes that.

I know that in a lot of circles, this is a common etiquitte, but really, come on, it's trivial and needs to go. This is only ever an issue when egos are involved.

However, if you are going to say something to him, perhaps you can get your desired results in a positive way. Instead, maybe tell him that you've noticed he's still got a lot of energy at the end, and should think about pulling some..make it like a compliment, that you think he has what it takes to pull a few times. If he does, then he probably won't be sqirting out the front and sprinting to then end. Thus you get the same results.
Quote Reply
Re: This is one that pisses me off about cyclists [Tina's dinner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tina's - excellent post. I will take your advice.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: This is one that pisses me off about cyclists [Tina's dinner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must be an arbitrator of some sort. ;)

Good advice though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I concur - that sounds good: the comment about the extra energy and maybe pulling.

Very nice thought

Re: This is one that pisses me off about cyclists [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I think this is the point in the thread where we all hold hands and sing Kumbyeya. Ready?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have been in your shoes, and after busting on the rider who attacked the end of a ride, he told me "I felt guilty riding back there for the last couple of hours, I felt I needed to get out there and suffer." I was not the subject of any disrespect, or the victim of "bad etiquette." Just a thought. There are other points of view on this, and I have to admit I felt like shit for calling him a pussy, even if it was done in a joking manner. He meant no disrespect, but I did, and regret it.

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Re: This is one that pisses me off about cyclists [sbr140.6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
foolish pride... get's the best of us all sometimes.

"Race day is a celebration of your training"
Quote Reply
Re: This is one that pisses me off about cyclists [skid marks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is the point in the thread where we all hold hands and sing Kumbyeya. Ready?

LOL! Sitting around the fire at Camp SlowTwitch...

"Race day is a celebration of your training"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely, if a guy was weaving all over the best thing is after the ride sit down and explain it to him how it's dangerous for others and himself and the domino effect it has in the close group situation. In the meantime I would just avoid going behind that guy when in a bunch.

But seriously I would avoid just screwing him at the top od my lungs during the ride itself.
Quote Reply

Prev Next