Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Link added & spelling corrected
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking the pics Nick. High quality which makes it fun and easy to see all the different gear the pros use. Quite a few Giro Empires

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
https://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2018_10_Ironman_Hawaii_Race_Day

Great photos!

Is this an optical illusion, or does Lionel have some huge tires on his bike? Also, anyone know the model?

Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gp4000s probably 25mm

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
TriRig wrote:

Great photos!

Is this an optical illusion, or does Lionel have some huge tires on his bike? Also, anyone know the model?

Beach Cruiser tires, no wonder he couldn't quite close the gap to the main train.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the same thing. Best Bike Split said he rode similar wattage to last year but he rode 3 mins slower this year compared to everyone else riding much much faster. Maybe it is an illusion but it could be camel pack 2.0 and he raced tires that didn't have enough clearance for that frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
TriRig wrote:

Great photos!

Tires Grand Prix 4000 II 23mm...

All details about is bike setup can be found here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf9UCWL31sU
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mknight84 wrote:
Gp4000s probably 25mm

They look a lot bigger than that. He used 23mm GPTTs last year. These do appear to have the GP4k tread. Maybe 28mm? A relatively slow tire in Crr and too fat to be aero.

Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And in the who-has-their-back-arched-like-a-cat category, the winner is... Carrie Lester.

Man that looks like it would ache.

Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy wrote:
"Gatorskins on her bike didnt help either."

There is always one....

Earth to triathletes....DON'T run Gatorskins for racing. Unless you're 50-54 Male. Then, PLEASE run them! Also wear a Rudy Project Helmet, two piece, sleeveless tri suit, have a bottle on your seat tube, and spend 1/3 of your ride on the bullhorns so you can see the road.

What’s wrong with Rudy Project helmets? Don’t they dominate the helmet count at Kona?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Hed Jet Blacks, not Stingers, and so some of that may be the black, textured aluminum brake track.
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are very slow helmets

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
TriBriGuy wrote:

There is always one....

Earth to triathletes....DON'T run Gatorskins for racing. Unless you're 50-54 Male. Then, PLEASE run them! Also wear a Rudy Project Helmet, two piece, sleeveless tri suit, have a bottle on your seat tube, and spend 1/3 of your ride on the bullhorns so you can see the road.

What’s wrong with Rudy Project helmets? Don’t they dominate the helmet count at Kona?

Have you wondered why?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"What’s wrong with Rudy Project helmets? Don’t they dominate the helmet count at Kona? "

Relative to other available helmets, Rudy's "aero" looks are deceiving. They almost always test well behind other helmets like the Giro Aerohead, LG P09, etc. I am only reporting second-hand from people I know who do significant wind tunnel testing for riders, but I've not seen any instances where the Rudy came out ahead.

I like Rudy. But I like aerodynamics more.
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
dunno wrote:
TriBriGuy wrote:

There is always one....

Have you wondered why?

I always figured the people racing at Kona had half an idea what they were doing?
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

I just googled and couldn’t find anything-do you have any links to tests?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a lot of stuff posted on here about how slow Rudy Project helmets are. You need to search through the forums.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:

All details about is bike setup can be found here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf9UCWL31sU

You are correct! Sure look fat though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
BryanD wrote:

I just googled and couldn’t find anything-do you have any links to tests?

Or because Rudy give them away for free to increase their results in the Kona count?
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy wrote:
"What’s wrong with Rudy Project helmets? Don’t they dominate the helmet count at Kona? "

Relative to other available helmets, Rudy's "aero" looks are deceiving. They almost always test well behind other helmets like the Giro Aerohead, LG P09, etc. I am only reporting second-hand from people I know who do significant wind tunnel testing for riders, but I've not seen any instances where the Rudy came out ahead.

I like Rudy. But I like aerodynamics more.

Isn't that their design philosophy thought? I listened to a podcast from the lead engineer a couple of years ago where he clearly stated that they don't design the fastest helmet intentionally. Given that the fastest helmet is dependent on the rider's position and body shape, you can only know which is the fastest helmet by going to the wind tunnel. Instead, they try to create a helmet that's fast on everyone which means that it will generally be the second or third fastest helmet out there.
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
Isn't that their design philosophy thought? I listened to a podcast from the lead engineer a couple of years ago where he clearly stated that they don't design the fastest helmet intentionally. Given that the fastest helmet is dependent on the rider's position and body shape, you can only know which is the fastest helmet by going to the wind tunnel. Instead, they try to create a helmet that's mediocre on everyone which means that it will generally be the second or third fastest helmet out there.

Fify.
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [Robijo11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robijo11 wrote:
What qualifies someone for the 'wrong saddle' award?

I'm also curious about this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
MTL wrote:

You are correct! Sure look fat though.

Don't HED jets make the tyres sit bigger than what they are? I got HED jets with conti attack and force combo and the tyres look wider than what they say they are.
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
jhammond wrote:

Isn't that their design philosophy thought? I listened to a podcast from the lead engineer a couple of years ago where he clearly stated that they don't design the fastest helmet intentionally. Given that the fastest helmet is dependent on the rider's position and body shape, you can only know which is the fastest helmet by going to the wind tunnel. Instead, they try to create a helmet that's mediocre on everyone which means that it will generally be the second or third fastest helmet out there.

Fify.

While clever, it doesn't really refute their design philosophy, nor does it make it wrong/bad.
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
While clever, it doesn't really refute their design philosophy, nor does it make it wrong/bad.

Wasn't really being clever... Just more accurate. No one (here on ST, anyway) claims the Rudy is fast. But, it may not be the slowest. The usual recommendation for a helmet (if you can't test) from those who know is a Giro A2 or AH. Never a Rudy.

Wrong/bad philosophy comes down to sales/profit for a profit based company. Maybe they make more money being mediocre? no clue.
Quote Reply

Prev Next